COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$17.98
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$100.82
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.67
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$32.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro
Default Tommy SACD

Has anyone listened to The Who: Tommy on SACD?

I'm thinking of adding this to my music wishist along with Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms and Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post

I'm thinking of adding this to my music wishist along with Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms and Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
I haven't listened to Tommy, but I own Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and can tell you it is a beautiful 5.1 mix, Benny & the Jets and Harmony really shine with these mixes and all of the tracks get the benifit that SACD gives, high resolution music with high dynamic range that you just can't get from standard redbook CD's. I did just do a review of DSOTM in the emo thread, I loved it. I also have just put Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms in my basket at Amazon so I'll probably be buying it next week. check out my review of DSOTM on SACD. there is something in it that might interest you as a 5508 owner having to do with DSD.
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007
Canada

I have the Tommy SACD and really enjoy it. I think they did a really good job on the surround mix with this one.
Panasonic 58" TCP58V10 Plasma, Sharp 46" Aquos 46D64U LCD, Sony STR-DG910, Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray player, Sonly BDP-S360 Blu-ray player, Sony BDP-BX2 Blu-ray player, Slim 120GB PS3, Klipsch RF-62 fronts, RC-62 center, RS-52 surrounds and RW-10D sub
Old 12-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Thanks, guys. Now to see if I can get it gifted from my wife for Christmas.

And I responded to your post in the Onkyo 5507 thread.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
I highly recommend Brothers in Arms. The new BD release of Alchemy is also great. I have the DVD-A of Yellow Brick Road, although I don't listen to it very often because of the song selection. The audio quality is excellent.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
I highly recommend Brothers in Arms. The new BD release of Alchemy is also great. I have the DVD-A of Yellow Brick Road, although I don't listen to it very often because of the song selection. The audio quality is excellent.
I have Brothers in Arms on vinyl and I love it. I have always loved that album. I need to sh!t or get off the pot and just purchase that SACD. I'll wrap it myself and label it from Santa.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Old 12-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-

Quote:

4 thumbs up for Tommy and Brothers In Arms. 2 more maybe for Yellow Brick Road if/when I ever get around to listening to it...

(Tommy is probably my favorite rock album... Recently I finally watched the movie for the very first time (and on blu-ray no less), interesting, and suggest giving that a try, if you haven't seen it. Too bad there's no Quadrophenia SACD...)

Last edited by fdm; 12-04-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #8

Sep 2009
Belgium
Default .

If you have an sacd player, try also:

Dire Straits "Dire Straits" (sounds better to me as Brothers In Arms)
10cc "The Original Soundtrack"
The Who "Who's Next"
Rod Stewart "Gasoline Alley"

Most of the shm-sacd's are sounding ok to me. Except The Police albums, Free "Fire And Water", Derek & The Dominos "Layla".
Old 12-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
USA Love my original Decca vinyl presing!!!

Nothing sounds sweeter than a copy of the original Decca vinyl. I got one at my local thrift store for less than 50 cents back in 1998. It was (and still is) in near mint condition and is complete w/ the booklet! I remember feeling like a kid in a candy shop that day, I picked up like 39 original pressing vinyl LP's that day all in near mint condition (some of the others were original Capitol and Apple Beatles and solo Beatles LP's, early Elton John Uni and MCA LPs, Jesus Christ Superstar (Ian Gillian version) w/ booklet, and many other vinyl classics) AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THE PRICE I GOT THE WHOLE "LOT" FOR... I BRING THE STACK TO THE REGISTER AND THE LADY SAY's " $15 FOR EVERYTHING FINE", I ALMOST PASSED OUT WHEN SHE SAID THAT, I SAID "SURE"! (I bet the value of these gems are close to a grand (or even more) today!) I'm one of the rare people who NEVER stopped liking vinyl. I have 1000's of LP's, 45's, and some 78's...
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #10

Sep 2010

I'm surprised how many people rate the Brothers in Arms SACD when in fact it was originally recorded in digital 16 bit 44.1 kHz...is it because it's on SACD it MUST sound good/better?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #11

Sep 2009
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma6 View Post
I'm surprised how many people rate the Brothers in Arms SACD when in fact it was originally recorded in digital 16 bit 44.1 kHz...is it because it's on SACD it MUST sound good/better?
Right ...

But Dire Straits "Dire Straits" shm-sacd is 24bit. Sounds in my opinion much better than "Brothers In Arms"-sacd (which is also compressed).
Old 12-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
There's a school of thought that says SACDs are mastered better than CDs, which accounts for the differences people hear. So, a well done stereo SACD from a 44.1/16 source could still sound better than a poorly done CD. Multichannel, of course, adds another dimension to the discussion.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanaPlasma View Post
Right ...

But Dire Straits "Dire Straits" shm-sacd is 24bit. Sounds in my opinion much better than "Brothers In Arms"-sacd (which is also compressed).
Nope, SACD is DSD which is all 1-bit, 2.8 MHz all the time regardless of source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
There's a school of thought that says SACDs are mastered better than CDs, which accounts for the differences people hear. So, a well done stereo SACD from a 44.1/16 source could still sound better than a poorly done CD. Multichannel, of course, adds another dimension to the discussion.
If mastering was the only reason for the sound difference, SACD layers would sound no better than the CD layer on hybrid SACDs. Both have the same master, in almost all cases.
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables

Last edited by Gremal; 12-08-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
If mastering was the only reason for the sound difference, SACD layers would sound no better than the CD layer on hybrid SACDs. Both have the same master, in almost all cases.
And there are those who say they do sound the same.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #15

Jul 2010
USA

Quote:
Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. I remember now that "Brothers In Arms" was the first "DDD" CD I ever bought.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music