COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$31.26
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Herzog: The Collection (Blu-ray)
$139.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Protector 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Alabama
Send a message via AIM to kevin87 Send a message via MSN to kevin87
Default Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol - February 15th

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol Blu-ray

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol Blu-ray Review

Yesterday Warner Home Video announced that Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol, the 2010 Christmas special, will be released February 15th on Blu-ray and DVD. The following are listed as DVD bonus features, but I'd assume they're also on the Blu-ray and maybe have more? Artwork also included below

• Doctor Who Confidential – An inside look at the 2010 Doctor Who Christmas Special
• Doctor Who at the Proms – Concert performance of music from Doctor Who recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall during the BBC's annual Proms concerts

Last edited by Deciazulado; 02-15-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Awesome Really happy we are getting it as a single and not part of the series 6 box set and a week after the Doctor Who movie is released

Last edited by detective392; 12-09-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
Awesome Really happy we are getting it as a single and not part of the series 6 box set and a week after the Doctor Who movie is released
No way of knowing at this point whether it will be part of the 6th series set or not.

So far, they released all the Christmas specials as part of a season set.

Even the year of the specials... I started buying individually, then they released a set of all the specials at the end of the year that was cheaper than buying the last 2 specials that just came out.

So... I'm going to wait until they release the 6th season to see what they do.

Also next year is a split series... Half in spring, half in fall... so I don't know if we will get half-season releases... or individual releases... or a whole season by Christmas 2011... or what.

I've learned now to wait so I don't end up buying something twice.
Coming soon to a TV near you.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe View Post
No way of knowing at this point whether it will be part of the 6th series set or not.

So far, they released all the Christmas specials as part of a season set.

Even the year of the specials... I started buying individually, then they released a set of all the specials at the end of the year that was cheaper than buying the last 2 specials that just came out.

So... I'm going to wait until they release the 6th season to see what they do.

Also next year is a split series... Half in spring, half in fall... so I don't know if we will get half-season releases... or individual releases... or a whole season by Christmas 2011... or what.

I've learned now to wait so I don't end up buying something twice.
yeah I'm pretty sure this will be included as part of the 6th series but I like buying singles for the specials as the set's are to much money at first so it takes me awhile to get them while the singles are cheaper and I can get them right away.

I think BBCA will release series 6 in one set next Christmas while in the UK they may split them up or just release all of series 6 in one set next Christmas also.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Jeeze, being that this is the first time BBCA is releasing a Christmas Special on its own (not counting the final Tennant specials) one would wonder if this would in fact be included on the Series 6 set. But then again the next series is being split into two, and we don't know if that means that we'll have to settle for two separate sets or a complete one.

Either way I think I'll wait to get this (unless I can get it at a rock bottom price) until we realize how they're packaging Series 6.
Top 10 Favorite Movies: 1. The General 2. City Lights 3. The Third Man 4. The Night of the Hunter 5. Vertigo 6. A Hard Day's Night 7. Chinatown 8. Brazil 9. Fargo 10. The Royal Tenenbaums

I hear the world in mono, view it in VistaVision, and see it in both Technicolor and Black & White.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
yeah I'm pretty sure this will be included as part of the 6th series but I like buying singles for the specials as the set's are to much money at first so it takes me awhile to get them while the singles are cheaper and I can get them right away.

I think BBCA will release series 6 in one set next Christmas while in the UK they may split them up or just release all of series 6 in one set next Christmas also.
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think most British releases are split into volumes and then they have a complete set when the season/"series" ends. that's probably what will happen with this, except now there's actually a reason to do volumes lol
Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
correct me if i'm wrong, but i think most British releases are split into volumes and then they have a complete set when the season/"series" ends. that's probably what will happen with this, except now there's actually a reason to do volumes lol
Yeah you are right the UK get's volumes and then a complete set while US only get's 1 complete set. So either the UK will get volumes and 2 set's or just volumes and 1 set but I suspect the US will only get 1 set or we could get 2 set's.

Last edited by detective392; 12-09-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

They could really do themselves a favor and make a formal announcement on what they are going to do.

I would be perfectly OK if they released this Christmas episode as a standalone and then released series 6... and IF that was the plan, I'd pre-order this special for release day purchase.

But they lose a sale on it while I wait to see what happens the whole year.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe View Post
They could really do themselves a favor and make a formal announcement on what they are going to do.

I would be perfectly OK if they released this Christmas episode as a standalone and then released series 6... and IF that was the plan, I'd pre-order this special for release day purchase.

But they lose a sale on it while I wait to see what happens the whole year.
It will be awhile before they make an announcement as they probably don't know how they are releasing series 6 yet and it's like 5 months till series 6 even starts.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:55 AM   #10
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Alabama

personally, I'd rather buy it seperate too. even if it's on series 6, it wouldn't be 'double dipping' or probably even increase the price of the set anyway since it'd most likely just be a special feature right? i don't own any so i can't vouche for how past specials have been featured on the discs or anything. and as detective said, it'd be a while before i'd be able to get the set ($60+ for just 13 episodes. ridonkulous) and i'd want to watch this next Christmastime, not around the summer of the next year
Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
It will be awhile before they make an announcement as they probably don't know how they are releasing series 6 yet and it's like 5 months till series 6 even starts.
That was my point, though... that they would sell more of these if they planned ahead and decided to not include it in the season set AND made that announcement now.

As it stands, I learned to wait and see... which means either I get the season set that includes it OR I save money when it is nearly a year old and I can pick it up cheaper.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
personally, I'd rather buy it seperate too. even if it's on series 6, it wouldn't be 'double dipping' or probably even increase the price of the set anyway since it'd most likely just be a special feature right? i don't own any so i can't vouche for how past specials have been featured on the discs or anything. and as detective said, it'd be a while before i'd be able to get the set ($60+ for just 13 episodes. ridonkulous) and i'd want to watch this next Christmastime, not around the summer of the next year
The past season sets the Christmas special has been included as if it were the first episode of the season. In the case of last year with all the specials, it was on its own disc.

Sometimes they pull a sneak too... Before Blu-ray releases... the single-DVD releases would only have Dolby 2.0 sound, while the season set would have 5.1 surround for every episode.

So... sometimes you get extra stuff and better sound with the re-release on the season set... which is another reason to wait and see.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Power Member

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

I think I'll wait to see if it gets included in the Series 6 set (or sets, depending on how they release them with the split). I can always Netflix for the extras until then, and if it isn't included, I can always get it by itself...
#1 WEE MAN FAN
http://mtrodaba2468.dvdaf.com
1000 Blu-Rays as of 11/09/13: John Cassavetes: Five Films: Criterion Collection
1300 Blu-Rays as of 6/29/14: The Beatles: A Hard Day's Night: Criterion Collection
Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 PM   #14

Dec 2009
Columbus, OH

Well, I was going to ask is anybody knew if this was gonna be included in the Series 6 set, but at this point, I'll follow the heard and just wait on getting it for now.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2010
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Goldfish View Post
Well, I was going to ask is anybody knew if this was gonna be included in the Series 6 set, but at this point, I'll follow the heard and just wait on getting it for now.
It will still very likely be in the Series 6 set, although when that will come out is known, naturally due to the split-series next year, but I'm 97% certain it'll be in the Series 6 box set.

I'm acttually considering getting the standalone release, not because I'm unsure if it'll be in the Series 6 set, because we don't know when that'll come out.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:56 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone Trooper View Post
It will still very likely be in the Series 6 set, although when that will come out is known, naturally due to the split-series next year, but I'm 97% certain it'll be in the Series 6 box set.

I'm acttually considering getting the standalone release, not because I'm unsure if it'll be in the Series 6 set, because we don't know when that'll come out.
My guess for the series 6 set would be next Christmas season as series 6 finishes next fall and I assume they would want to release it before Christmas to boost holiday sales. So that's still a year away and a pretty long wait IMO.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

BBCA has confirmed that the special will be in the series 6 set but may not include all the extras.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-...The-Rani/14995
Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
BBCA has confirmed that the special will be in the series 6 set but may not include all the extras.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-...The-Rani/14995
I read that today as well... Here's hoping they change their minds... as why would they bother to press a different copy of the disc when they could just include it as-is in the ultimate season set?

BUT... honestly, even if they do... I'll still wait to buy the season set since I'll have to (and want to) buy that anyway.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

review is up and happy at the PQ/AQ scores.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Doctor.../18633/#Review
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai
Default Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol 2/15/11

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol Blu-ray releases on 2/15/11

Quote:
Amy and Rory are trapped on a crashing space liner, and the only way The Doctor can rescue them is to save the soul of a lonely old miser, in a festive edition of the time-travelling adventure, written by Steven Moffat. But is Kazran Sardick, the richest man in Sardicktown, beyond redemption? And what is lurking in the fogs of Christmas Eve?

Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol Blu-ray Review
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
a chrismas carol, christmas, doctor who