COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$44.42
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Battleship (Blu-ray)
$6.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 AM   #1

Aug 2008
Misawa, Japan
Default Has anybody tried playing a 3D Blu-ray on a 'non-3D projector'

I don't really know too much about the new 3D tech. I was curious on the outcome to see if playing a 3D Blu-ray on a 'non-3D projector' would work (with 3D active shutter glasses). I have been contemplating buying the Avatar 3D starter kit. I do not really understand why we need to upgrade to a new display...Isn't 3D just an offset image??? Please excuse the ignorance lol
Current Home Theater setup

Consoles- PS3 60GB, XBox 360 Elite 250GB CoD:MW2 Ed, Wii, PS2, Dreamcast, N64, SNES and NES
Speakers- Klipsch RC-64 II, x2 RF-7 II and x4 KL-650 THX. Yamaha YST-RSW300. x2 Definitive Technology SuperCube 6000. x2 Theater Solutions SUB15D.

Yamaha RX-V1900 / Epson 8700UB Projector / Oppo BDP-93 / Gaming PC
Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Goldsboro, NC
Send a message via AIM to cathexist Send a message via MSN to cathexist

It would play...but it would only be in 2D
PSN ID: cathexist Rock Band 2 band: Atomic Hearts Rock Band 2 character: Beethoven
Home Theater Setup: 60GB PS3, Sanyo PLV-1080HD Projector, JVC RX-D412B A/V Receiver
Trade Thread Home Theater Thread
Old 12-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009

Not much of an answer but I do know that the refresh rate of the TV or Projector has to be at least 120Hz to cover for the two frames (one for each eye) per each movie frame. I also know that 3d Projectors are very expensive and are just hitting the market now. Assuming you have the 3D capable blu-ray player (or PS3) and glasses, I don't know what would happen if you try playing the 3D movie, even if the TV/PJ is 120Hz? I'd be interested to find out too.
Displays:Plasma-Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD Projector-BenQ W7000 3D DLP w/ DIY Anamorphic Lens and Manual Sled Screen:Dual Elite electric screens (16:9/2.40:1) Receiver:Pio Elite SC-27 Amp:Parasound 2205AT (220Watt x 5 Channel) Blu-ray Source:OPPO bdp-93 Speakers:L/R/C Front-KEF iQ7, KEF iQ60C, L/R Rear-Infinity Primus 250, L/R Surr-KEF iQ8ds Subwoofers- #1 M&K MX-125 Mark II, #2 M&K MX-250 Self built (here)
Old 12-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #4

Jan 2009

my guess is that it would look like a 3D movie without the glasses.
ViewSonic Precision Pro8100, 119" 16:9 HP 2.8
Panasonic DMP BD35
PIONEER : VSX-01TXH, XPA-3
SWANS 6.1 & C3, rosewood
dual CSS SD12 subs & 2 EP2500 amps, DCX2496
ENERGY RVSS sides
dual Berklines
MITSUBISHI WD 65736 replaced by 8100
Old 12-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Technically a 120HZ projector could display it, but it won't work as your missing some key components not present in the firmware. In essence it could do 60HZ per eye but you run in to several problems. First how does it handle the 3d format encoded to the disc (checkerboard, frame sequential, etc.. as that takes some processing) and so it would not know how to handle that; and two how do you sync a pair of shutter glasses to the refresh rate of the projector for the stereo image or how do you polarize the light for left or right eye with passive polarized glasses? Another hiccup could be the problem that the projector may not be capable of taking 120Hz signal rather it just scales a 60hz signal up to 120 for display internally. I'm not sure what you'd see on screen if you were to send a 2d projector straight 3d signal off of a 3d capable blu-ray player. I'm not sure if you'd get a blank screen, 3d looking image minus the glasses, or a 2d image, you got me.

Now knowing that won't work; I hate to add fuel to the fire as I have questions myself on some ideas.

Here is a product from DepthQ, that you place in front of a projector that works with active shutter glasses. http://www.depthq.com/modulator.html DepthQ states that it is compatible with a certain list of 3d ready projectors so again you may need projector firmware that will handle a frame sequential signal or whatever? As well as a home theater PC to use this product but I found it interesting. Would this be compatible with any projector that can take straight 120hz signal input? Also no pricing shown, maybe a new JVC would be cheaper at this point.

Also, whats to stop someone with a home theater pc that has dual outputs, and a 3d capable graphics card from Nvidia along with 3d blu-ray play back software from going out and purchasing two Optoma HD20s, as well as two polarizers for passive glasses for 3d? I'm sure its doable and tricky aligning them perfectly on a stand but the software is out there now so I believe this would work. Outside of the tricky convergence problem (still doable) you would double your light output (which is excellent for 3d) and you get a very very bright 3d solution for possibly less money than a new JVC. Something like the set up seen here: http://www.more3d.com/3-D/exp_en.html. Now, if someone were to make a 3d processor that had dual outputs left and right that you could just hook up to any 3d blu-ray player and any two 2d projectors, bundle that with a spiffy stand, polarizers and passive glasses like the theater... what a package that would be, man that would rock.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector + 100" 1.1 gain screen || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)

Last edited by Flatnate; 12-19-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #6

Jan 2011

There are currently 2 ways to experience 3d on your existing home theater projector.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ater,2636.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ctor,2589.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
Here is a product from DepthQ, that you place in front of a projector that works with active shutter glasses. http://www.depthq.com/modulator.html DepthQ states that it is compatible with a certain list of 3d ready projectors so again you may need projector firmware that will handle a frame sequential signal or whatever?

The product you're linking to is for use with plain old passive polarized glasses not active, and probably costs more than just buying a second projector to handle video for the "other eye".

Also, for the active glasses, all the processing you are talking about is done in software with a driver such as nvidia and cyberlink powerdvd, but as far as I know currently lacks a software layer to translate from a 3d Blu Ray, so is only good for 3d games. For this, your projector need only support a fast enough refresh rate to avoid flicker / eyestrain etc.

For the passive solution, you just need a second identical projector, some polarized pieces of glass or plastic just like the ones in plain old sunglasses, the $2 glasses themselves, a the software (powerdvd and nvidia).
Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Has anyone tried an old school 3D blu-ray (the ones that include the red and blue glasses) with a projector? Does it work? Same headaches as watching it on an HDTV?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Has anyone tried an old school 3D blu-ray (the ones that include the red and blue glasses) with a projector? Does it work? Same headaches as watching it on an HDTV?
Yeah thats anaglyph 3d. Haven't tried this myself, but I have read elsewhere that this should work no problem.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector + 100" 1.1 gain screen || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
Yeah thats anaglyph 3d. Haven't tried this myself, but I have read elsewhere that this should work no problem.
I actually tried it with my Coraline original 3D DVD yesterday and yeah it worked, besides all the colors being wacky and inconsistent...
Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Expert Member

Jan 2007
middle of nowere, IL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
I actually tried it with my Coraline original 3D DVD yesterday and yeah it worked, besides all the colors being wacky and inconsistent...
Me too. Couldn't stand the crushed bland colors on the 3-D Coraline. It was a cool effect but not worth the sacrifice in PQ IMO.

On a side note I watched Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga' Hoole in RealD 3-D at the theater and in 2-D at home on my projector while the 3-D was pretty cool I thought the 2-D Blu-ray looked quite 3-Dish, it has an amazing picture.
I'm okay with 2-D at home and will be for quite sometime I am sure. If 3-D really takes off and it isn't cost prohibitive when I upgrade my projector I might go 3-D but that will be 4-5 years from now.
Those active shutter glasses are pricey!Especially if you need 3-8 pairs. I need 3 minimum for my family and have had up to 8 people watching a movie at the same time.
2.35:1 Scope, get the BIG picture
No DTS-HD = No Sale
HT Gear:
Panasonic AE-4000U/120" Carada 2.35:1 Screen
Sony BDP-S550/PS3/360/Wii/Tivo
Denon AVR-4310
Def Tech BP 2004 Fronts/ CLR 2002 CC/ BP2X Rears/Mirage BPS-400 Sub
PSN:victorvondoom88 XBL: VONDOOM88
Old 06-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #11

Apr 2010
Kenosha , Wisconsin
Default 3d movies

I never liked 3D movies when they first came out or when I first seen them on Television . I was never impressed by them , I thought they were missing something .I cant buy into the hole 3D thing thats just another way for us the consumer to spend and money and then throw way the unit when something new comes aroung . I for one still like the first dolby digital from the first generation , the same applies for DTS . They do this all the time wanting us to waist are money on new products or discounting the software for the old format . That happens very time a new mouse trap come along . So No I will not own a 3d projector and never will , anyway it hurts my eyes to watch a movie like this in 3d .
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors