Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-16-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

Apr 2007
Los Angeles
Default How to fix a Blu-ray scratch

I'm sure there's been a thread regarding scratched blu-ray discs, but how do i fix a deep scratch on one of my all-time favorites... Fight Club!

It's a scratch unlike anything i've ever seen before, it's only about half a millimeter long but it's deep, almost like if i put a soldering iron on the surface, but without piercing through!

What to do?!

The movie plays, up until the chapter where Norton says "i felt like destroying something beautiful"
Pannasonic BD65/Yamaha RX-A700/Viera 50PZ85U
POLK RTi12 (Bi-amp), CSi5, 2-pair FXi4
Definitive Techonology Supercube Reference (LFE)
DIY Sub with Dayton Audio Reference 15" HO driver
External amps, Gemini XGA3000, Behringer EP4000.

MSI A75MA mobo, AMD Hudson D3 chipset
Radeon RD 260x 2GB GDDR5/16 GB RAM/AMD Quad Core A8
Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #2

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
I'm sure there's been a thread regarding scratched blu-ray discs, but how do i fix a deep scratch on one of my all-time favorites... Fight Club!

It's a scratch unlike anything i've ever seen before, it's only about half a millimeter long but it's deep, almost like if i put a soldering iron on the surface, but without piercing through!

What to do?!

The movie plays, up until the chapter where Norton says "i felt like destroying something beautiful"
Im no BD disc expert but I do know some things that may help. If there is a HASTINGS MUSIC AND BOOK STORE near you they have a machine that reconditions damaged CD,DVD,and BD disc. Other movie rental stores in your area may have one of these machines as well but I do know that Blockbuster does not offer this service either. This machine works fantastic on CD,DVD as you can really bear down on these disc and actually make them look brand new again. The protective covering on BD disc only allows you to lightly polish with these machines therefore if the scratch is deep you will not get all of the damaged area off "maybe good enough to play though". These machines or reconditioners are electric motor driven and have enough power to polish the protective coating on a BD disc completely off. If you can find a store that offers this service you can maybe talk them into DEEP POLISHING your BD disc like they would do for CD,DVDs as long as you want to pay $1.00for each polish "HASTINGS CHARGE". If the scatch is as deep as you say it is it would approx. take 4 or 5 "maybe more" DEEP POLISHINGS to remove all of the damaged area and I am sure that the protective coating would be completely gone at this point. The BD disc would still work fine but would be very easy to scratch again "JUST LIKE CDs,DVDs". I personaly would not recommend this or do this to any of my BD disc but the choice is yours. You can polish BD disc 1 or 2 times with these reconditioners without damaging the BD disc at all "I have done so" but doing more polishings than that is risky. There is nothing available to my knowledge that would warrant purchasing to try and repair your BD disc. The gadgets you see at BEST BUY and WAL MART for repairing disc are aimed at only repairing CDs, DVDs only. These gadgets actually scratch CDs,DVDs more than the damaged area already is. The cream used with these cheap gadgets is a polish that is very gritty "LIKE A WAX USED FOR CAR PAINT OR TOOTHPASTE" and simply does not work very well at all. Thats my experience with repairing CDs,DVDs, and BD disc. I wish there was something available that would work and would be affordable but there just is nothing at this time that has proven itself for BD disc other than these reconditioning machines which are available on the internet for purchase but they are very expensive. Replacing the BD disc with another copy will probably be your best bet and used copies of all BD disc are available on HASTINGS website. I have purchased a few used BD disc from HASTINGS and they looked fantastic and the prices are usually reasonable. SORRY AND GOOD LUCK.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #3

Nov 2010
New York

Buy a new copy lol
Equipment in the Family Room
Denon AVR-1611 Receiver
Sony SS- MF550H Towers
Sony SS-CN550H Center Speaker
Sony SS-MB150 Bookshelf Speakers for Surround
Velodyne Subwoofer VX-10
Sony BDP-S370 Blu-Ray Player / Samsung LN37A450 720p HDTV
Sony RM-VL600 Universal remote control
Old 12-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Framingham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmlisanti View Post
Buy a new copy lol
Yeah, he may be SOL. I've had a few surface scratches, but nothing that penetrated the protective coating. I don't know how those scratch removal products will work with a BD given the special coating, but it may be worth a try.

Good luck.

Wouldn't want you to be unable to watch the best replaced line in a film ever.

[Show spoiler]One of the producer's demanded a line be replaced. The Director agreed on the condition that the new line could not be rejected. And so, "I want to have your abortion", became " I haven't been ****ed like that since grade school."
Pioneer Elite KURO PRO-1150HD
Sony Playstation 4
Oppo BDP-83
Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

Instead of buying or having someplace try to fix the scratch, just buy another copy. After you get done trying to have it fixed, if it isn't successful, just think that that amount of money could have been used towards the purchase of a new copy.
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"...but you will always be homosexual Michael, always, until the day you die."

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 12-20-2010, 04:16 AM   #6

Dec 2008
Gilbert AZ

I thought blurays were almost unscratchable how that happen to your movie bud?
47 inch Vizo 3d tv
40 gig Ps3 as bluray player
I just cant stop the future is blu!! 👍
Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Power Member

Sep 2009

Fight Club is one of the more affordable blu-rays. You may be able to find as cheap as $8.00. My Wal-Mart had it for that price. I understand that you've already invested in this blu and if it can be fixed, why not? Just seems easier and less hassle to buy a new copy in this case.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Expert Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
...The movie plays, up until the chapter where Norton says "i felt like destroying something beautiful"
That's irony for ya.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
South Dakota

LOL what are the chances. I came home once to find that one of my Blu-rays had been laid ON ITS FACE on my TV stand, adult and child finger prints all over it. It was the Fight Club Blu-ray, not a week after I'd bought it. The babysitter didn't know any better, but I was super pissed.

Now my Blu-rays are off limits unless I'm home.
My setup:
Sharp Aquos 60" LCD|PS4|PS3 SLIM 120 GB|X-BOX 360 60GB|Yamaha RX-V663|APC H15|HARMONY 1|Polk/Insignia/eD speakers|Monoprice Cables
Using PS3 Media Server for all video/music streaming
Favorite Blu-rays: The Thin Red Line, Santa Sangre, Enter the Void, Lord of the Rings Extended Edition box set
Old 12-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilapiah6 View Post
LOL what are the chances. I came home once to find that one of my Blu-rays had been laid ON ITS FACE on my TV stand, adult and child finger prints all over it. It was the Fight Club Blu-ray, not a week after I'd bought it. The babysitter didn't know any better, but I was super pissed.

Now my Blu-rays are off limits unless I'm home.
Betcha that babysitter got sacked!
Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

I am lucky as my boyfriend is still blu ray illiterate, so I still am the one who controls/handles the blu rays!
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"...but you will always be homosexual Michael, always, until the day you die."

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."
Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
Betcha that babysitter got sacked!
LOL no, she's cool. I'm good friends with her husband, so that gave her a good advantage.
My setup:
Sharp Aquos 60" LCD|PS4|PS3 SLIM 120 GB|X-BOX 360 60GB|Yamaha RX-V663|APC H15|HARMONY 1|Polk/Insignia/eD speakers|Monoprice Cables
Using PS3 Media Server for all video/music streaming
Favorite Blu-rays: The Thin Red Line, Santa Sangre, Enter the Void, Lord of the Rings Extended Edition box set
Old 12-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Im no BD disc expert but I do know some things that may help. If there is a HASTINGS MUSIC AND BOOK STORE near you they have a machine that reconditions damaged CD,DVD,and BD disc. Other movie rental stores in your area may have one of these machines as well but I do know that Blockbuster does not offer this service either. This machine works fantastic on CD,DVD as you can really bear down on these disc and actually make them look brand new again. The protective covering on BD disc only allows you to lightly polish with these machines therefore if the scratch is deep you will not get all of the damaged area off "maybe good enough to play though". These machines or reconditioners are electric motor driven and have enough power to polish the protective coating on a BD disc completely off. If you can find a store that offers this service you can maybe talk them into DEEP POLISHING your BD disc like they would do for CD,DVDs as long as you want to pay $1.00for each polish "HASTINGS CHARGE". If the scatch is as deep as you say it is it would approx. take 4 or 5 "maybe more" DEEP POLISHINGS to remove all of the damaged area and I am sure that the protective coating would be completely gone at this point. The BD disc would still work fine but would be very easy to scratch again "JUST LIKE CDs,DVDs". I personaly would not recommend this or do this to any of my BD disc but the choice is yours. You can polish BD disc 1 or 2 times with these reconditioners without damaging the BD disc at all "I have done so" but doing more polishings than that is risky. There is nothing available to my knowledge that would warrant purchasing to try and repair your BD disc. The gadgets you see at BEST BUY and WAL MART for repairing disc are aimed at only repairing CDs, DVDs only. These gadgets actually scratch CDs,DVDs more than the damaged area already is. The cream used with these cheap gadgets is a polish that is very gritty "LIKE A WAX USED FOR CAR PAINT OR TOOTHPASTE" and simply does not work very well at all. Thats my experience with repairing CDs,DVDs, and BD disc. I wish there was something available that would work and would be affordable but there just is nothing at this time that has proven itself for BD disc other than these reconditioning machines which are available on the internet for purchase but they are very expensive. Replacing the BD disc with another copy will probably be your best bet and used copies of all BD disc are available on HASTINGS website. I have purchased a few used BD disc from HASTINGS and they looked fantastic and the prices are usually reasonable. SORRY AND GOOD LUCK.
The machines at Hastings are consumer-grade disc buffers. They really aren't going to help too much. I'm a bit concerned if they are using them with Blu-Rays myself due to the anti-scratch layer.

Also, if you do end up repairing with successive rebuffing, you've pretty much destroyed/removed the anti-scratch layer for the future.

[ add / edit ]
Point of clarity, it may be better to remove the anti-scratch layer and be able to play the disc. Only stating that after that anti-scratch is removed, you're going to have more problems as the format is extremely sensitive to scratches.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

The data on the disc is only protected by a 0.1mm cover layer thus if the scratch is as deep as you describe then the data layer has been damaged. Your only option at this point would be to replace the disc.

Last edited by rdodolak; 12-29-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #15
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Do not allow any resurfacing machine near your Blu-rays, They are not designed to handle the anti-scratch coating or the shallow data layer and will more likely than not destroy your disc
Old 01-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
Banned

Jan 2011

Fight Club is one of the more affordable blu-rays.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu View Post
I am lucky as my boyfriend is still blu ray illiterate, so I still am the one who controls/handles the blu rays!
It really bugs me when people still leave discs laying around and not putting them back in their cases. Didn't people learn from all the scratched DVDs? Some people just shouldn't have nice things.
"By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong." -Charles Wadsworth

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." ~ Abraham Lincoln

PSN ID: SillyMammo
Old 01-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

As many people have said on here already, just buy a new one.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #19

Sep 2010

This has happened to me before. I am as careful with my blu rays as possible and I've noticed several of them have scratches. Even ones that were brand new. This is ridiculous considering they are advertised as "almost impossible to scratch"

But once it starts to skip, the only option is to replace the disc unfortunately.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:59 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
This has happened to me before. I am as careful with my blu rays as possible and I've noticed several of them have scratches. Even ones that were brand new. This is ridiculous considering they are advertised as "almost impossible to scratch"
It's possible to get light scratches on the coating, but the scratches are not deeply penetrated enough to cause defects. Sometimes, if you wipe the disc with plain tap water, the scratches usually come off.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology