Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist (Blu-ray)
$20.60
Juan of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009
Default Peter Pan (2003) - April 5th

Peter Pan Blu-ray

Peter Pan Blu-ray Review

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...r_Blu-ray/6032

Finally! This one should be great on Blu-Ray. Glad I held off purchasing the imports.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 04-04-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Maryland

Same here, I was debating on whether or not to import this. Great news.
"You're a woman, Harry"
Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Can't wait was hoping it was going to get an American release soon.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

"On the same date, the studio will also release 'Peter Pan (2003)' starring Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman."

Haha! WHAT!?
Did they mix this up with Rain Man?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #5

Aug 2009

I"ve been waiting for this one to be released on blu! One of the most overlooked and underrated movies ever.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
"On the same date, the studio will also release 'Peter Pan (2003)' starring Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman."

Haha! WHAT!?
Did they mix this up with Rain Man?
Saw that to and couldn't believe I missed Tom Cruise in this. Not sure where they got his name from and why they thought he was in this movie.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Birmingham, Alabama. :(
Smile

Does Tom Cruise try to convert Captain Hook to Scientology in this?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

"Someone who loves to start a fire and listen to the screams."

"If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?"
Old 12-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

"Yeah...Yeah, definitely clap if you believe....Hook's on first..."
(Notice who that puts in the role of Tinkerbell. )

Seriously, though,

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestlite View Post
I"ve been waiting for this one to be released on blu! One of the most overlooked and underrated movies ever.
I...wouldn't go THAT far.

It's good-looking and the Disney-World music was robbed of an Oscar, but the movie makes such a Little Movie Glossary hash of the original story, think Peter Pan '03 : JM Barrie :: Tim Burton's Alice : Lewis Carroll.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

I'll just repost here what I put in the Universal 2-Pack thread:

I adore Universal's Peter Pan and have had to resist buying the edited Blu-ray already found in other regions. Now I'm glad I waited.

I'd love it if they included all of the deleted scenes. Someone posted excerpts from the shooting script online that didn't make it into the final cut, and almost all of them can be seen or heard in some way in trailers, tv spots, and promo pics. They amount to something like 20 minutes, and the DVD only gives us about 8. The BBC special would be a nice inclusion, too. The DVD oddly gives us outtakes from it, but not the actual show.

No matter what, though, this should look gorgeous on Blu-ray. It's like a storybook illustration come to life, and I feel it's criminally underrated. Releasing this while Return of the King was rampaging through theaters was a foolish move on Universal's part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
It's good-looking and the Disney-World music was robbed of an Oscar, but the movie makes such a Little Movie Glossary hash of the original story, think Peter Pan '03 : JM Barrie :: Tim Burton's Alice : Lewis Carroll.
I don't think that's true. Yes, the movie moves by a bit too quickly, but I think it captures Barrie's novel better than any other version, including Disney's animated one (which I love, by the way). The sensibilities and spirit feel very in-tune with the novel, and I would say the Disney film feels more like a clfif notes version.

I will say, though, that the Disney film has one advantage over Universal's (from an adaptation point of view, not technical): it crams in less events from the novel and therefore has more time to tell the plot points it covers. Universal's tries to cram in too much in too short a time, so we're left whizzing from each plot point to the next before we let in sit in (the flight to Neverland, for example, is tantalizingly short).

Still, I think the film taps an emotional complexity no other adaptation does, and the technical aspects of the production are outstanding. I also think Jason Isaacs as Hook and Rachel Hurd-Wood as Wendy turn in fantastic performances.

Comparing Spielberg's Hook to Burton's Alice would make for a more apt comparison, I think.
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"
Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
I don't think that's true. Yes, the movie moves by a bit too quickly, but I think it captures Barrie's novel better than any other version, including Disney's animated one (which I love, by the way). The sensibilities and spirit feel very in-tune with the novel, and I would say the Disney film feels more like a clfif notes version.
Comparing Spielberg's Hook to Burton's Alice would make for a more apt comparison, I think.
The look is right and the cast is right--
But there are just so many facepalm-worthy studio dumbing-downs of the original story in the American-studio attempt to make it A Movie:
- There was NO "Aunt Millicent" to make un-PC Victorian comments and Wendy feel repressed about her emerging empowerment,
- Nana was NOT Beethoven,
- Saying "I d*n't b*l**v* *n f**r**s" does NOT instantly kill fairies on contact like Raid,
- There was NO romantic subtext between Peter and Wendy. If there was, be assured it was one-way.

And Little Movie Glossary of "Final Villain Power-Up" aside, call it a nitpick but:
HOOK...DID NOT...FREAKIN'...FLY.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

z.jpgI'd much prefer to see Disney's animated version hit blu, can you tell?
"If we're about to die anyways, I'd rather die fighting! Come for me Gmork, I am Atreyu!"

"...but you will always be homosexual Michael, always, until the day you die."

" I told you 158 times I hate little notes on my pillow. 'We are all out of Corn Flakes F.U.' it took me three hours to realize that F.U. stood for Felix Ungar."

Last edited by Atreyu; 12-21-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Dagobah

Glad it's coming to Blu-ray in the U.S.

I haven't seen it in its entirety yet, but I love ILM, and generally like the story of Peter Pan.
This one seemed like a great movie, and if the transfer is decent enough, I'll pick it up for certain.

Hook is Steven Spielberg's worst movie by far.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #13

May 2009
London, UK

just a quick question, will this 2 pack be 2 indvidual BD 's each with their own packaging (just bundled together) or will it be in one package (like the WB double features)
Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
Suspended

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
just a quick question, will this 2 pack be 2 indvidual BD 's each with their own packaging (just bundled together) or will it be in one package (like the WB double features)
...Did anyone say it was a 2-pack, or just two movies on a release date?

Quote:
Suggested list price for each Blu-ray is $26.98.
(This way, you have the option of buying Babe without getting Peter Pan, and, for an added bonus, not getting Babe 2: Pig in the City, either. )
Old 12-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
Peter-Pan is being released on it's own and not with another movie. It's worded a little confusing as it's being released on the same day as a ton of double feature blu-rays but Peter-Pan is a stand alone Blu-ray.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #16

Oct 2009
DC

Haven't seen this movie since 2004. Remember not liking it the first time around, but I will give it another try on Blu.

Side note: The girl who played Wendy grew up smoking! I was pleasantly surprised when I looked up this movie on imdb.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
Hook is Steven Spielberg's worst movie by far.
Boooooooo!!!!! I love Hook
"You're a woman, Harry"
Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYJAPE21 View Post
Boooooooo!!!!! I love Hook

Old 12-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Home of SB 1070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluyoda View Post
...Hook is Steven Spielberg's worst movie by far.
I agree. I think it is by far his weakest film and my least favorite version of "Peter Pan."

P.J. Hogan's "Peter Pan" is my second favorite version of the J.M. Barrie story. Walt Disney's animated masterpiece still holds a special place in my heart.
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Gandhi
Old 12-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

The Lost World is Spielbergs' worst movie IMO. It felt like Uwe Boll directed it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America