Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ocean Giants (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #1

Apr 2008
Default Catfish out today 1-4-11

Catfish Blu-ray
Catfish Blu-ray Review

Has anyone seen this? I've only seen the 20/20 special and found it to be interesting. Not sure if this would be worth a purchase though.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 01-05-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Minnesota
Send a message via AIM to Minimejer05 Send a message via MSN to Minimejer05 Send a message via Yahoo to Minimejer05 Send a message via Skype™ to Minimejer05

The movie was really misleading. I bought into all the hype and ended up hating it.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Power Member

Aug 2009
California

I actually really enjoyed Catfish. It's definitely the first suspenseful Documentary I've ever watched, and it succeeded.

I'd say rent it first. As much as I enjoyed it, it's not the kind of film I can see myself watching over and over.

This and The Last Exorcism are my favorite new releases this week.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzsoad View Post
I actually really enjoyed Catfish. It's definitely the first suspenseful Documentary I've ever watched, and it succeeded.

I'd say rent it first. As much as I enjoyed it, it's not the kind of film I can see myself watching over and over.

This and The Last Exorcism are my favorite new releases this week.

I liked it as well, definitely wasnt what i was expecting.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
Banned

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimejer05 View Post
The movie was really misleading. I bought into all the hype and ended up hating it.
The advertising was misleading, not the movie.

It's a great and fascinating film (even though it's actually fake), and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #6

Jan 2008
Rochester, NY

I watched it yesterday for the first time and I gotta say it was enjoyable! Not sure if it's worth buying (unless it's around $10, then i'd say pick it up) but it's a film everyone should see at least once, especially with technology the way it is these days
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #7

Sep 2010
Gilbert, AZ

Definitely not what I thought it was going to be (saw this in the theater when it came out). I agree that this wouldn't be a bad purchase for $10 or under. Interesting and entertaining enough.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Power Member

Sep 2010
Cincinnati

I'd say wait and give it a rental first it gets very sad toward the end but they wrongly marketed this as some type of horror movie and it's far from that.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #9

Dec 2010

I loved the movie. Thought it was really intense and then you get to the big reveal and it turns into this amazing drama.

As someone pointed out above, they said it is fake.. I however do not believe it to be fake nor do most and the filmmakers and all involved have shown plenty of footage and answered the questions that show that it is not fake.

But for $30, I aint buying it!! I will wait for it to go down to around $10-15 bucks.. which isnt a slight on the movie, just that I cant see paying that much for 1 movie!

Last edited by BigPudge; 01-04-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
PA

I saw the interview on 20/20 and was completely shocked. I won't buy for how much it is now but I'd like to once the price drops and see it as the movie and not the interview.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #11

Feb 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
It was the advertising that was misleading but I agree with you completely. I was drawn in by the trailers and ended up hating the movie and thinking it was nothing but a waste of time. However, if you haven't seen any of the trailers or tv spots, you'd likely enjoy it.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellusk View Post
Has anyone seen this? I've only seen the 20/20 special and found it to be interesting. Not sure if this would be worth a purchase though.
So you spoiled the movie for yourself... Anyways, I saw it in theaters and enjoyed it quite a bit. Yes, the trailers are completely misleading but it didn't bother me.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogplus View Post
The advertising was misleading, not the movie.

It's a great and fascinating film (even though it's actually fake), and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
The makers say its real.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #14
Power Member

Aug 2009
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercsOwnz View Post
The makers say its real.
If this movie was fake then everyone in it deserves a freakin' Oscar. Nothing about it seemed false to me.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Agreed. Horrendous.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Banned

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercsOwnz View Post
The makers say its real.
They're lying.

http://www.movieline.com/2010/01/doe...m.php?page=all

Quote:
This "Catfish" is totally a hoax. You can see the real pages cached in Google. Angela Pierce
is Painter, Photographer, Writer, Illustrator, Animator & Filmmaker - all according to her own bios before she got "famous". She is the owner of Panorama Management Group, LLC in Ipsheming, Michigan. She had numerous blogs running, explaining all of her commissioned work and film projects. Most of her films are screened in small festivals and go straight to DVD - so Catfish is her big shot, like Henry Joost, Nev Schulman, and Aimee Gonzales all up and coming - Aimee Gonzales a.k.a Megan Faccio is an upcoming photographer and model in Vancouver, Washington whose images are seen as the supposed Megan Faccio.

Angela's real name is Angela Wesselman-Pierce. Aimee Gonzales a.k.a Megan Faccio is a wife, mother of two small children and photographer with her own studio and company called Bella Divine Photography Studios. She does wedding photography and other projects in eastern Washington and Portland, Oregon.

Soo, um, yeah film-makers, photographers upcoming models etc are not "real people" caught in a bizarre situation. They are all clearly wanting a shot at some fame or noteriety while also engaging in a social experiment about peoples obsession with Facebook and the alter-egos. This reminds me of The Blair Witch Project or Joaquin Phoenix with his crazy stint with a bushy beard, talking nonsense and rapping ... turns out it was all for a movie called "I'm Still Here."

Angela Wesselman-Pierce also owns and runs Bittersweet Publishing & Production, LLC.

She has scrubbed herself from the net, almost entirely - but I was able to find government licensing of her companies and business, and domain registrations as well as her tax records for a non-profit she runs. I think she may have deleted herself or turned her production blogs into subscriber only to keep the film elusive and secretive and play along with the role she was paid to do.

I believe I encountered Aimee Gonzales's (the girl who is "Megan Faccio") name somewhere stating she was in the process of suing Nev Schulman & Co. for unstated reasons related to the film. I'm still investigating.

_

Angela's LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/angelawesselmanpierce

July 24, 2010 cache of Angela's blog: http://gigablast.com/get?q=artbyapie...3540521&cnsp=0

Sept 5, 2010 cache of AbbyIsAwesome.com: http://gigablast.com/get?q=varioussh...8908643&cnsp=0

Aug 11, 2010 cache of VariousShadesOfGrey.com: http://gigablast.com/get?q=varioussh...3235595&cnsp=0

_
Angela Wesselman-Pierce is a film-maker. These are the films she has to her name so far:

Fruition - DVD available for purchase

Dancing Under the Sun - currently in production

Touched by the Sun - premiered January 22, 2010

Matriarchal Preserves - premiered February 12, 2010

Snowflakes - DVD available for purchase

My Last Leaf - currently in production

The Season of My Discontent - currently in production

I'll Fly Away - premiered June 4, 2010

Also, sadly, her of her sons, Ronald Grant Pierce, who was seen in the film, had Noonan's Syndrome and passed away in 2008
Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
Banned

Aug 2009
FL

Wait, there are still people that think this is real? Let's step it up, people
Old 01-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Power Member

Sep 2010
Cincinnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzsoad View Post
If this movie was fake then everyone in it deserves a freakin' Oscar. Nothing about it seemed false to me.
Remember they said the same thing about the blair witch project? Movie studios are good at creating hype...it's called marketing 101
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #19

Jun 2008
CT

Look at how great her paintings look on this blog compared to the childish/mediocre paintings she allegedly painted in the movie. During the 20/20 interview she says something along the lines that she lied and said that Abby painted her paintings because the public was kinder when they knew that her artwork was coming from a child, rather than from herself. She claims that people told her that her paintings were not very good, so she decided to pose as Abby. In conclusion, the movie was fake.

July 24, 2010 cache of Angela's blog: http://gigablast.com/get?q=artbyapie...3540521&cnsp=0

Last edited by Jesse757x; 01-05-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by technique View Post
Remember they said the same thing about the blair witch project? Movie studios are good at creating hype...it's called marketing 101
I think they pulled it off better. However they were the first ones to try something like that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America