COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.78
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Default Dragon Ball Z Kai differences

Hey, I was wondering what is the difference between the Dragon Ball Kai boxsets that are on blu-ray, the orange DVD boxsets that were released a few years ago, and the yellow DVD boxsets that are being released now. The last time I watched DBZ was on TV about 5 years ago. Also which release most closely follows the manga.

Thanks for you help in advance.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Expert Member

Sep 2009

The orange boxsets were released in 9 boxsets with the video remastering handled by FUNimation themselves. The biggest problem with this release was the video cropping...DBZ was broadcasted in 4:3 and what FUNi did was made it "widescreen." The top and bottom parts of the video were chopped off and you would gain a small percentage of new footage on the sides. The video also suffers from excessive DNR and in the earlier sets you would see missing outlines here and there. Next episode previews are missing.

The yellow boxsets are the Japanese masters released in 7 sets, each corresponding to the 7 Dragon Balls. The video is true to the original vision though the colors seem a bit muted compared to the orange boxsets. If you want all of the episodes (fillers included!), this is the way to go. Next episode previews are included, but the audio for the English track is missing since they were never recorded in the first place. The packaging is also the selling point because you get a nice box with thick booklets.

The Kai sets is the revised version of DBZ. The video is remastered to 16:9 HD quality with rerecorded dialogue and updated sound effects. New theme songs are featured. The pacing is more faster since filler material is omitted; the episode count goes from the original 291 episodes to 99 revised episodes. This is considered to be the director's cut of the series and follows the manga more closely.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Nicosia, CY (EU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si1entElegy View Post
The orange boxsets were released in 9 boxsets with the video remastering handled by FUNimation themselves. The biggest problem with this release was the video cropping...DBZ was broadcasted in 4:3 and what FUNi did was made it "widescreen." The top and bottom parts of the video were chopped off and you would gain a small percentage of new footage on the sides. The video also suffers from excessive DNR and in the earlier sets you would see missing outlines here and there. Next episode previews are missing.

The yellow boxsets are the Japanese masters released in 7 sets, each corresponding to the 7 Dragon Balls. The video is true to the original vision though the colors seem a bit muted compared to the orange boxsets. If you want all of the episodes (fillers included!), this is the way to go. Next episode previews are included, but the audio for the English track is missing since they were never recorded in the first place. The packaging is also the selling point because you get a nice box with thick booklets.

The Kai sets is the revised version of DBZ. The video is remastered to 16:9 HD quality with rerecorded dialogue and updated sound effects. New theme songs are featured. The pacing is more faster since filler material is omitted; the episode count goes from the original 291 episodes to 99 revised episodes. This is considered to be the director's cut of the series and follows the manga more closely.
Excellent reviews
[[ Official UK Slipcover Thread ]]
My Slipcovers collection as of August 5th Part One, Two and Three
Looking to buy these slips: BROTHERS GRIMM Canadian Lenticular, HOME ALONE 1+2 USA Slipbox, X-FILES 2, KILL BILL 2 Canadian Lenticular, Ghost US
Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si1entElegy View Post

Guess you like the dragon boxes , since you left off that the yellow boxes won't give you the english audio tracks if thats what you grew up watching on cartoon network which is where allot of people here in the states started watching the show, which the orange boxes (first sets mentioned) do have.

Kai also has new voices not just rerecorded dialogue, so you should watch the episodes on Nick or online and see if you like the new voices for certain characters like gohan and frieza ... I hate them enough that I'll eventually get the sets, but not until its butt cheap.
Because it's easier to have courage from a safe distance away.

Last edited by supersix4; 01-13-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #5

Dec 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
Guess you like the dragon boxes , since you left off that the yellow boxes won't give you the english audio tracks if thats what you grew up watching, which the orange boxes (first sets mentioned) do have.
The yellow sets actually do have the english voices, just not the english music...you do have to switch it over from the japaneses default in the options though.....
Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lore Lord View Post
The yellow sets actually do have the english voices, just not the english music...you do have to switch it over from the japaneses default in the options though.....
thats why I said audio and not dialogue
Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #7

Dec 2010
USA

Quote:
thats why I said audio and not dialogue
Oh, my bad.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Banned

Jul 2009

Is it true that the blood was toned down for Dragon Ball Kai? And I'm talking about the Blu-Ray release, not the broadcast version.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Syxx View Post
Is it true that the blood was toned down for Dragon Ball Kai? And I'm talking about the Blu-Ray release, not the broadcast version.
Some of the scenes were edited to a degree. Japanese broadcasting laws got stricter so it wasn't avoidable.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 PM   #10
Banned

Jul 2009

Quote:
Some of the scenes were edited to a degree. Japanese broadcasting laws got stricter so it wasn't avoidable.
That doesn't seem true. The home video versions are often harder than the broadcast versions. Strike Witches and Queen's Blade for example. Seems like Toei was being ****ing lazy.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #11

Nov 2010
IL

Dragonball Z Kai looks nice and gets straight to the fights. But, the voices I can't stand so I when with the orange set as this is what I remember watching on tv
The Social Network, Alice In Wonderland, Predators, Wall-E & More for trade in my trade thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/trading-for...mes-fs-ft.html
Old 01-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo01 View Post
Dragonball Z Kai looks nice and gets straight to the fights. But, the voices I can't stand so I when with the orange set as this is what I remember watching on tv
The voices don't bother me enough to keep me from getting the Kai sets, I do find it odd that they released Kai on DVD though.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #13

Sep 2010

I'd go with Kai on Blu-ray. The picture is top-notch and the dialog is VASTLY improved over the original English dub. It's almost word-for-word a true translation of the Japanese audio. Frieza no longer sounds like a drag queen, all of the boring filler is cut out, etc. You should give it a shot!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz05 View Post
Frieza no longer sounds like a drag queen
Worse a lame attempt at a british villain.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Quote:
Worse a lame attempt at a british villain.
I dunno, I was never happy that the most powerful villain in the universe and the one they meant to end the show with sounded like a random transvestite.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
I dunno, I was never happy that the most powerful villain in the universe and the one they meant to end the show with sounded like a random transvestite.
Yeah I didn't like the original one either but this one takes it down to a whole new low.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Ok thanks for the responses guys, but I have one question:

Does the orange boxset contain the fillers as well, or does the yellow boxset contain more filler?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #18

Dec 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeze View Post
Ok thanks for the responses guys, but I have one question:

Does the orange boxset contain the fillers as well, or does the yellow boxset contain more filler?
The yellow and orange boxsets both cotain the same 291 episodes of DBZ, it's just the transfer process is different. Also, the yellow sets have more episodes per set, so there are 2 less than the orange set. (Although note only the first 4 of the 7 yellow sets are out right now.) So yeah, both versions have the same amount of filler.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lore Lord View Post
The yellow and orange boxsets both cotain the same 291 episodes of DBZ, it's just the transfer process is different. Also, the yellow sets have more episodes per set, so there are 2 less than the orange set. (Although note only the first 4 of the 7 yellow sets are out right now.) So yeah, both versions have the same amount of filler.
Yep the only thing that changes is some of the music (which I love the Cartoon Network music that got aired), and the cropping of the video which unless you're looking for it and have side-by-side views you probably wouldn't know or catch.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Ok thanks for the information guys. I think I like the Dragon Boxsets the best since they include the episode previews but it is to expensive ($60 a set here in Canada). So I think I will buy one season of DBZ Kai on blu-ray to see if I like it, and if I do I will continue buying those, and if I don't I will buy the orange box sets as they are more affordable ($20 a season).

Once again thanks to everyone for their help.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime