Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit $6.00 (87% sold out)
Now: Silver Linings Playbook $6.00 (39 mins left)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
2 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.00
1 hr ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$15.49
3 hrs ago
21 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$6.00
53 min ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.49
3 hrs ago
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Blu-ray)
$6.96
1 hr ago
Noah (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 hr ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
18 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Blu-ray)
$6.00
53 min ago
Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
20 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

Two others (UK discs, but 100% region free and US-compatible):

1927 Sunrise (Eureka)
1930 City Girl (Eureka)

There's also a 25-minute silent film ("The Story of Petroleum") on There Will Be Blood

And The Wizard of Oz (1925), The Patchwork Girl of Oz (1914), The Magic Cloak of Oz (1914) and His Majesty, the Scarecrow of Oz (1914) on the existing Wizard of Oz disc (in standard def, unfortunately).

Maybe an "honorable mention" for Modern Times?

Last edited by bboisvert; 01-20-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Special Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

1917 -- Bucking Broadway is an extra on Criterion's blu-ray of Stagecoach.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Boston, MA

i knew this wasn't going to be easy (LOL). hmmm... silent shorts found on other movie discs... i don't know how to quantify that. on one hand documentaries like story of petro. is valid and is a silent film... 1923 i think. i'll add it. we'll just do it 1by1.

thanks bboisvert & charlieray1!

BTW i wanna keep it HD. if we start adding SD to the list there'll be 2much material. even if the silent shorts are found on other movie titles, it has to be in HD like story of petro. i'm guessing bucking broadway is HD? i haven't played it yet at home >P
Blu-Ray is so awesome! =)

Last edited by JediFonger; 01-20-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

May 2010
Oakville, Canada

1927 - Seventh Heaven (Carlotta)
1928 - Street Angel (Carlotta)
1929 - Lucky Star (Carlotta)

There are also a few Chaplin silents available in the UK. (Park Circus)

Hopefully there'll be many more coming to Blu soon!
Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays. - Harry Lime
Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Power Member

Mar 2010

The Rink (1916) is a extra on Modern Age (Criterion).

I sorta consider Modern Age a silent film even though technically it is not silent. There is one voice and sound effects in some scenes. Plus Chaplin sings near the end. Other then that it is very much silent.

Also I fully expect a annoucement from Kino anyday now about Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen. The Murnau stiftung recently restored it as they did Metropolis. Plus in Kino's last catalog under the DVD version it states "New Restoration Coming in 2011" Been anticipating some more Lang on Bluray. I wish we would see some more Murnau. Sunrise IMO is the best movie released so far on Bluray. Even though I love Keaton.

Last edited by Banned User; 01-20-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2008

On the Silents included as extras, are all of these in Hi-Def/1080p or 1080i, etc?

If you're going to make/maintain this list, you might consider having one in the International forum and cross-link.

You might also want to include announced titles...

for example: The Ten Commandments.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Boston, MA

none of those are listed on blu-ray.com. part of the reason for this thread is i want to be able to link to a title on blu-ray.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
1927 - Seventh Heaven (Carlotta)
1928 - Street Angel (Carlotta)
1929 - Lucky Star (Carlotta)

There are also a few Chaplin silents available in the UK. (Park Circus)

Hopefully there'll be many more coming to Blu soon!

1080i/p discussion is for another thread. as long as it's 720/1080i or p it's finea and it'll be listed.

i dunno how to cross-link, maybe that's a mod's job?

thanks about 10 cmd. knew about it, but forgot it this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS_Blu View Post
On the Silents included as extras, are all of these in Hi-Def/1080p or 1080i, etc?

If you're going to make/maintain this list, you might consider having one in the International forum and cross-link.

You might also want to include announced titles...

for example: The Ten Commandments.

modern times will in my 1930s thread =). this is mostly a pre 1930 movies in general (which is mostly silents):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned User View Post
The Rink (1916) is a extra on Modern Age (Criterion).

I sorta consider Modern Age a silent film even though technically it is not silent. There is one voice and sound effects in some scenes. Plus Chaplin sings near the end. Other then that it is very much silent.

Also I fully expect a annoucement from Kino anyday now about Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen. The Murnau stiftung recently restored it as they did Metropolis. Plus in Kino's last catalog under the DVD version it states "New Restoration Coming in 2011" Been anticipating some more Lang on Bluray. I wish we would see some more Murnau. Sunrise IMO is the best movie released so far on Bluray. Even though I love Keaton.
&yesh i'm hoping for more fritz lang. luv his work. i've seen most/all of his films as well as most/if not all silent films released on DVD at 1 point.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
none of those are listed on blu-ray.com.
If you have French Blu-Rays enabled on your settings they are

For example: 7th Heaven.

Cross-link/cross post = the exact thing you did to link to the blu-ray title in the db with a forum post instead. I think someone did that with the first post in the MOC thread, cross-linking to the BFI thread etc.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Power Member

Oct 2008

If you do include the international links here, then you have all the Kinowelt Chaplins (German) and the UK Chaplins on Park Circus.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Boston, MA
Talking

do these titles include English inter-titles? i can't read French... i'd rather wait for ENG-versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS_Blu View Post
If you have French Blu-Rays enabled on your settings they are

For example: 7th Heaven.

Cross-link/cross post = the exact thing you did to link to the blu-ray title in the db with a forum post instead. I think someone did that with the first post in the MOC thread, cross-linking to the BFI thread etc.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

they are Borzage films that he made when he was at Fox--in other words they will have English intertitles with French subs for the French audience.
I think I have read that the French subs are not forced on any of the three releases.
my copy of "7th Heaven" is on the way to my house as I post this.
Can't wait to check it out.
these 3 should definitely be included on the list so that people will know about them.
there are reviews up on other sites of all 3 releases.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #13

May 2010
Oakville, Canada

I can't wait to pick up those three films I mentioned earlier. Alas I'm a student who's quite strapped for cash, but it will happen sooner or later . "Sunrise" and "City Girl" are two of my all time favorite films now and if they hadn't been given the Blu treatment, chances are I never would have seen them!

Also, so glad I picked up the Seiki Blu-ray player at Wal-mart for $78 because it's region free! :O Time to pick up all the region B silents! (How reliable and long-lasting a machine it is may be questionable, but it works flawlessly so far!)
Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare? Free of income tax, old man. Free of income tax - the only way you can save money nowadays. - Harry Lime
Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #14

Jan 2011
Germany

not necessary to mention METROPOLIS again.. but this opus is so outstanding and influenced so many directors. a masterpiece in a beautiful steelbook.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Boston, MA

oh arkadin, thx for gracing my thread i trust you.

how do i search for them? when i put them those titles into the search bar it doesn't show up. also it says i'm still not showing search results for 13 more countries... how do i change that setting? it's not under my site preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
they are Borzage films that he made when he was at Fox--in other words they will have English intertitles with French subs for the French audience.
I think I have read that the French subs are not forced on any of the three releases.
my copy of "7th Heaven" is on the way to my house as I post this.
Can't wait to check it out.
these 3 should definitely be included on the list so that people will know about them.
there are reviews up on other sites of all 3 releases.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #16
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger
how do i search for them? when i put them those titles into the search bar it doesn't show up.
Change your settings for site preferences.

In the upper right you'll see something like:

Logged in as: JediFonger (Logout)
Private messages:
Settings: Site preferences

Click on site preferences and then check the boxes for France and whatever country you don't have checked that has issued a silent blu.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Boston, MA

i already have TJS_Blu... but these 3 titles still don't show up.

what i did was click on the French flag, THEN search for the titles and only then will it show up.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Power Member

Mar 2010

I wonder if we will ever see some of the early german expressionism on Bluray. If any title deserves a new restoration and release it is The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari and Nosferatu. Although I'd love to see The Hands of Orlac, The Man Who Laughs, and also I'm of big fan of Lon Chaney. Especially some of his more obscure titles like The Penalty, The Ace of Hearts or Laugh Clown Laugh. Not sure if we will ever see Phantom of the Opera or Hunchback considering the condition of the prints in existence. When a title is in such a condition I don't mind some digital manipulation to make a clear image. I think they could provide a less manipulated version on the disc as well for purists.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

oh for sure I think those will come--Cabinet and Nosferatu.
the people in Germany are probably working on those right now I would have to think. I mean I don't have any specific info, but they take the preservation of those seminal films very seriously, and I feel very confident those 2 at least will certainly make it blu eventually.
the Eureka "Nosferatu" dvd is a fantastic release so hopefully they will release the blu-ray also.
btw: 7th Heaven is listed after a 1928 release above so the link needs to be moved.
also it has a stray [ sitting there.
also: the Chaplin's from the UK need to be added; they are on bd.com and I think a few have been reviewed.

Last edited by Arkadin; 01-21-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Nobody has mentioned Mel Brooks Silent Movie. I know it's not a traditional silent movie but it is completely silent except one word.
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
beginning, dawn of cinema, genesis, silent, silent films