COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Monsieur Verdoux (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Royal Tenenbaums (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
High School Confidential (Blu-ray)
$18.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
Being John Malkovich (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Stagecoach (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
DDDHouse shipped my order today.
mine too. hopefully it doesnt take 2 weeks+ to arrive like my last order.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #42

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeats View Post
Where's the best place to buy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTheDragon View Post
dddhouse or renchi.
We've already gone through this before - you may prefer DDDhouse or Renchi, but they are definitely not better options; you could occasionally get a deal on a specific title, but that is it. Considering the fact that YesAsia has one of the most complete libraries and the fact that they offer multiple deals on various releases (where you get free discs when you purchase certain products), it is the go-to place as far as I am concerned.

In the U.S., Amazon is also not always the cheapest option, but I'd rather go with them than deal with the likes of DeepDiscountDVD, etc.

YesAsia have been one of the top Asian vendors for years, long, long before Blu-ray came to exist. They still are.

Pro-B
I found your post quite condescending pro-b.

What's with the "here we go again" attitude and yesasia love? Yesasia is better because they have more selection and they give you Perhaps Love for free when you buy THREE blu-rays? Is that your argument? Oh, and they've been around for a long time.

dddhouse, renchi, bluasia are all good alternatives. DontheDragon had every right to make a recommendation that did not include yesasia without you telling him that his choices were merely good enough as his personal preferences and not actually valid recommendations.

c'mon man...

Last edited by chisam; 01-30-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 AM   #43
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisam View Post
I found your post quite condescending pro-b.

What's with the "here we go again" attitude and yesasia love? Yesasia is better because they have more selection and they give you Perhaps Love for free when you buy THREE blu-rays? Is that your argument? Oh, and they've been around for a long time.

dddhouse, renchi, bluasia are all good alternatives. DontheDragon had every right to make a recommendation that did not include yesasia without you telling him that his choices were merely good enough as his personal preferences and not actually valid recommendations.

c'mon man...
I am not entirely sure why you think that my response was condescending - if anything, there is a bit of condescending going on in the post I responded to (likely unintentional - see full post). What I mean by that is: Why shouldn't one want to buy from YesAsia? Questioning why one would want to purchase something from YesAsia isn't a recommendation -- which is why I pointed out a number of reasons why one should feel comfortable getting product from them.

Really, all things considered, to me YesAsia are not any different than Amazon (of course excluding the region limitations they have for some titles) with their various branches in the UK, France, Germany, and now Italy, because they may not always be the cheapest option, just like Amazon isn't for many titles, but they certainly have the deepest catalog of titles from all Asian vendors that ship internationally, and offer a variety of deals (the current one you mention). So with other words, their prices are most definitely not outrageous considering what some of the sites you mention charge and what type of catalogs they have.

That's all.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-30-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #44

Jul 2008

I only buy hk blu-ray from dddhouse.. I have been they loyal customer for probably close to 10 yrs. Great service. You'll get what you ordered. Hated yesasia with a passion.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #45
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kono View Post
I only buy hk blu-ray from dddhouse.. I have been they loyal customer for probably close to 10 yrs. Great service. You'll get what you ordered. Hated yesasia with a passion.
agreed. I love dddhouse and only buy from them. YesAsia is an ok alternative for me, but, for most of the movies I want, dddhouse is cheaper.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. -Bruce Lee
Old 01-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTheDragon View Post
Why would you want to buy it from there? They're prices are outrageous!
yes they are usually pretty high, but I've never had a problem with ordering from them in the past either.

Last edited by Dubstar; 01-30-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #47
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

I only use them if I want to dodge customs when ordering multiple items. For a single item? No way.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Did anyone get this blu-ray yet? I am looking forward to a comparison review between this blu-ray and the Miramax blu-ray.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #49
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

I received it today. I can't compare it to the Miramax version, as I refuse to own that version of the film.

Based purely off of the screenshots in this site's review, the color, contrast and brightness are completely different. I dare say that Miramax would have attempted to bring some consistency to the overall look of the film, wherea's the Hong Kong version has just been transfered to disc, warts and all.

That might sound negative, there's print damage, waving contrast, inconsistent brightness levels and a flickering effect,(like a telecine error), in the right hand side of the image. Grain levels aren't consistent either.

Not once are we allowed to forget, that we're watching a Hong Kong movie from 1993, which hasn't been kept in the best of condition and I'm fine with that.

It's also clearly HD, so those knobs whinging about upscales on a certain Asian forum, can f*** off!

Subtitles are acceptable and I say that as someone with subtitle OCD. They're not perfect, they miss out full stops and there are other syntax errors, but it's all easily understandable and better than I feared.

I can't comment on the audio through a proper setup, I watched it through headphones and it was punchy and well balanced. Sounded better than those crap HKL remixes at any rate.

Extras consist of two 720p trailers, neither are subbed and the compression artifacts in the 2nd one, are terrible.

So, well worth a pick up, especially at the price point.

Btw, the full running time, is 89mins 48secs.

Last edited by Sky_Captain; 02-05-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #50
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
I received it today. I can't compare it to the Miramax version, as I refuse to own that version of the film.

Based purely off of the screenshots in this site's review, the color, contrast and brightness are completely different. I dare say that Miramax would have attempted to bring some consistency to the overall look of the film, wherea's the Hong Kong version has just been transfered to disc, warts and all.

That might sound negative, there's print damage, waving contrast, inconsistent brightness levels and a flickering effect,(like a telecine error), in the right hand side of the image. Grain levels aren't consistent either.

Not once, are we allowed to forget, that we're watching a Hong Kong movie from 1993, which hasn't been kept in the best of condition and I'm fine with that.

It's also clearly HD, so those knobs whinging about upscales on a certain Asian forum, can f*** off!

Subtitles are acceptable and I say that as someone with subtitle OCD. They're not perfect, they miss out full stops and there are other syntax errors, but it's all easily understandable and better than I feared.

I can't comment on the audio through a proper setup, I watched it through headphones and it was punchy and well balanced. Sounded better than those crap HKL remixes at any rate.

Extras consist of two 720p trailers, neither are subbed and the compression artifacts in the 2nd one, are terrible.

So, well worth a pick up, especially at the price point.

Btw, the full running time, is 89mins 48secs.
Thanks for the in-depth review - you the man!

I think I'll skip this blu-ray only for the sloppy subtitle thing!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #51
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009

I already placed an order for mine. I don't own the Mirima-axe murdered version either and I refuse to own it as well. From that review I'm more than happy with getting the HK version.
"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -W.H. Auden
Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Quote:
Great news! u ordered yours from DDDhouse right?

Last edited by Dragon Lee; 02-05-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #53
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Yeah. Pretty damn quick, considering it took Demolition Man nearly two weeks.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 AM   #54
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Yeah. Pretty damn quick, considering it took Demolition Man nearly two weeks.
So how would you say the quality is compared to some of the other K&R blus?
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. -Bruce Lee
Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #55
Special Member

May 2010
Canada

Pardon the question but, the release date was January 28th, right?
"Variety is the spice of life!"
Old 02-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #56
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA

January 28th, yes.
Supporter of Anime and Asian Cinema on Blu-ray
AVC & Dolby TrueHD supporter
Worldwide BR Release Comparison Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #57
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobswim13 View Post
So how would you say the quality is compared to some of the other K&R blus?
This is the only one I own, I have no interest in the rest of their output. Put it this way, I own around 500 BDs and if it was shit, I'd say so.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #58
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA

I got my copy today. Looks maybe a bit above OATIC in terms of PQ. I pretty much agree with Sky_Captain's review of the disc.
Supporter of Anime and Asian Cinema on Blu-ray
AVC & Dolby TrueHD supporter
Worldwide BR Release Comparison Thread
Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

could u maybe post some screens? that'd be sweet!

BTW mine shipped about the same time as Sky Captain's and I still havent recieved it. But I waited 30+ days for Battle Royale so I'll just be patient
Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Update on my order: I emailed DDDhouse for a tracking #, tracked it and as of 2/10, still stuck in customs. package shipped on 1/29 and as of 2/17, still hasnt left HK.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia