Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Soon: Godzilla ()
Soon: Fargo (Remastered) ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
12 Years a Slave (Blu-ray)
$6.96
6 hrs ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00
8 hrs ago
The Rover (Blu-ray)
$6.96
6 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
11 hrs ago
Riddick (Blu-ray)
$6.96
8 hrs ago
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.96
6 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$9.00
8 hrs ago
Escape Plan (Blu-ray)
$6.96
6 hrs ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
11 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8 hrs ago
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96
6 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Special Member

Oct 2010
Toronto
Default MAD MEN Season 5 Delayed???

Wow....

MAD MEN Season 5 Remains Delayed

Quote:
Matthew Weiner has taken to the press to push AMC on contract negotiations. The creator of Mad Men spoke to Entertainment Weekly and delivered the bad news that hes nowhere near making a deal with the network, and opined that this is devastatingly bad for everybody, but especially for you and me.
Quote:
Weiner: We have not started writing. I am not back at work. My contract expired. They are fighting over a very lucrative property, and who is going to pay for it to get made;

Last edited by I_Like_Movies; 01-25-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Oh damn it. So maybe we will get the next season sometime in mid-2012?
Old 01-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
PA

Wow. At least I'll have time to catch up then
Old 01-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

I'm curious how Weiner considers Mad Men a "lucrative property." The show is a critical darling but it's ratings have always been relatively low, even by basic cable standards. I'm sure AMC is in no hurry to get a deal done since they don't have a spot for Mad Men in 2011, so they're going to drag this out and get as many concessions as possible. I'm sure the next season will premiere in January 2012, which seems to be AMC's plan.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
I'm curious how Weiner considers Mad Men a "lucrative property." The show is a critical darling but it's ratings have always been relatively low, even by basic cable standards. I'm sure AMC is in no hurry to get a deal done since they don't have a spot for Mad Men in 2011, so they're going to drag this out and get as many concessions as possible. I'm sure the next season will premiere in January 2012, which seems to be AMC's plan.
They have so many shows right now, they don't need to worry really. They didn't think they would have a slot for Hell on Wheels to premiere this year but now it looks like they will.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #6

Jan 2011
La Palma, CA

You can't do this show without Matt Weiner, so I'm sure they will come to terms sooner or later.

But, I know the show typically doesn't begin production until April or May and they work all summer to get it ready for August. So they still have time IMO to get a season ready for late summer.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by djariya View Post
You can't do this show without Matt Weiner, so I'm sure they will come to terms sooner or later.

But, I know the show typically doesn't begin production until April or May and they work all summer to get it ready for August. So they still have time IMO to get a season ready for late summer.
But if the rumors of the Breaking Bad and Walking Dead pairing up in July are true there really is no rush.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

AMC, Lionsgate Close To Deal With Matt Weiner For 'Mad Men'
Quote:
Cable networks having the freedom to develop, greenlight and schedule projects on their own schedule is great, but sometimes it might be better to have the pressure of a looming May broadcast upfront presentation to get big deals done. Like locking in Matthew Weiner for AMC's Mad Men, which would pave the way for the cable network to officially greenlight a fifth season of the show. After months of negotiations over compensation (Weiner had been asking for a lot more than what he got under the a rich pact he inked with Mad Men producer Lionsgate TV and AMC 2 years ago), the sides are said to be finally (and slowly) nearing a deal. But with negotiations pushing into late March, Season 5 of Mad Men probably won't be able to launch in the summer as the show normally does. The period drama usually premieres in late July. Two years ago, when Weiner didn't close his deal until mid-January, the season premiere was pushed to August. It's safe to say that the delay will be even bigger this year. Idled by the unplanned hiatus, Mad Men star Christina Hendricks recently booked a movie, Seconds of Pleasure. As for Mad Men's Emmy chances, they won't be affected by the delay. The series' fourth season is up for nominations this year and it is certain that the upcoming Season 5 will also be eligible for Emmys next year.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #9
Power Member

Jul 2009
Georgia PSN:Bodyslide

We might not have any new episodes until late 2011 or 2012 .

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118034234

For "Mad Men" fans, there's good news and bad news.
The good news is, by multiple accounts, AMC, Lionsgate TV and series creator Matt Weiner are close to a deal that would carry the show through its sixth season.

The bad news is, the show is not likely to make its usual mid-summer premiere berth for its upcoming fifth season because production is likely to start as much as six weeks later than it has in recent years.
PSN:Bodyslide
Receiver:Onkyo TX-NR616
Fronts:(2) Pioneer SP-FS52-LR
Center:Pioneer SP-C22
Rears:(4) Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Sub:BIC America F12
Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
Power Member

Jul 2009
Canada eh?

WTF is keeping them from negotiating a deal? Success?! Just pay the man a reasonable quote!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman713 View Post
WTF is keeping them from negotiating a deal? Success?! Just pay the man a reasonable quote!
He's been more than compensated enough, he's just like an athlete demanding more money for doing their job good and acting like a spoiled child when they don't get what they want, while effecting everybody else with their behavior. What he makes for one episode is more than most folks probably make in 5 years of working EVERY DAY, not just a little bit and than getting a 6 month vacation. People in hollywood are beyond ridiculous....
Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
Power Member

Jul 2009
Canada eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
He's been more than compensated enough, he's just like an athlete demanding more money for doing their job good and acting like a spoiled child when they don't get what they want, while effecting everybody else with their behavior. What he makes for one episode is more than most folks probably make in 5 years of working EVERY DAY, not just a little bit and than getting a 6 month vacation. People in hollywood are beyond ridiculous....
Let's be honest, nearly EVERYONE in the sports world and Hollywood make ridiculous amounts of money for the work they do. If you love something you would argue that they maybe deserve it and other times you just can't believe how someone could bring home a paycheck for making something so horrid. You also see some garbage athletes who are nothing more than enforcers or agitators for their teams and they're making a good half mil for a season of doing nothing but spending time in the penalty box.

I just think AMC should play it a little safe. Don't give him his quote but give him a little more than before. Mad Men is their golden goose (I'd rather see Breaking Bad in that position but that's another story).
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #13
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman713 View Post
I just think AMC should play it a little safe. Don't give him his quote but give him a little more than before. Mad Men is their golden goose (I'd rather see Breaking Bad in that position but that's another story).
With all the upcoming possible merchandising I think Walking Dead is about to easily overtake Mad Men as the golden goose. Not in terms of quality obviously but in revenue possibilities and exposure.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
With all the upcoming possible merchandising I think Walking Dead is about to easily overtake Mad Men as the golden goose. Not in terms of quality obviously but in revenue possibilities and exposure.
I think Walking Dead has already overtaken Mad Men as AMC's golden goose because it's ratings are more than double Mad Men's (granted six episodes is a small sample size) and unlike Mad Men it is produced by AMC so they are making the money off the DVD/Blu-ray and possible future syndication. Walking Dead is also the type of show that works well worldwide so they should be able to sell it to other countries.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatediesel View Post
I think Walking Dead has already overtaken Mad Men as AMC's golden goose because it's ratings are more than double Mad Men's (granted six episodes is a small sample size) and unlike Mad Men it is produced by AMC so they are making the money off the DVD/Blu-ray and possible future syndication. Walking Dead is also the type of show that works well worldwide so they should be able to sell it to other countries.
Yup, that's my thinking on this too. I mean there are zombie fanatics everywhere, what can you market to Mad Men fans, 60's suits and high ball glasses?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Not Good News

Quote:
“This is their storied franchise, and they want it shorter and cheaper, with fewer actors and more product integration”

If the show ends, it was a good run
It's a band logo.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #17

Mar 2009

With this leaked I imagine AMC will hopefully decide to quickly come to a feasible solution to keep any more bad press away from the show.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #18
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Not Good News

If the show ends, it was a good run
It was a good run, I won't sweat it if there are no more, it frees Jessica Pare and Christina Hendricks up for much more skintastic roles.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Yeah, and at least the Season 4 had an ending that could(will?) works as an ending for the show
It's a band logo.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #20
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Yeah, and at least the Season 4 had an ending that could(will?) works as an ending for the show
With the massive success of Walking Dead at least if Mad Men doesn't return it won't be a death sentence for the network. I wish Breaking Bad had as much exposure as Dead, but that's not gonna happen. They also have a pretty stacked line up of new series' premiering over the next few quarters so they should be pretty safe if it doesn't return.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows