COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Long Goodbye (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Coming Home (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Thieves Like Us (Blu-ray)
$18.49
White Lightning (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Viva Maria! (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Pocketful of Miracles (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Gator (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Man of the West (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Tyler Perry's Temptation (Blu-ray)
$12.98
Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #1

Jan 2010
Freehold, NJ
Default Best LED-LCD TV Brand?

I've been thinking about upgrading from my 32" Sony Bravia. Although I've been pleased with Sony, I wanted to know if the other brands are better quality? Which one is the best brand: Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic

I would like to stick with LED-LCD, anywhere from 45"-55" range, I have no desire for 3D (although I would get one if it improved picture quality on 2D).

Thanks alot for the advice, as I don't know a great deal about tvs, only the standard stuff really.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #2

Sep 2010
Northern NJ

For LED/LCD you really want a good panel with full array with local dimming backlight. The best ones in 2010 were actually LG's from what I read, especially the LG Infinia 55LE8500.

I know Sony and some other companies made some LED's with full array local dimming, here is a link with all the 2010 ones:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...=505465_121787

You can compare some reviews there.
Panasonic 50" TC-P50S60 plasma calibrated
Panasonic 42" TC-P42S2 plasma calibrated
Sony 32" KDL-32EX400 LCD calibrated
HTPC+Sony S5100 to Sony CT150 to Panasonic P55VT60, Phillips BDP3020 to Panasonic P50S60
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

There's no such thing as a "best brand". All of the major manufacturers (Sony, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Toshiba, Sharp) make good quality sets. You have to compare on a model-by-model basis. All of the major manufacturers make some relatively junky sets on the low end and some remarkable sets on the high end.

You also have to decide what's important to you. Are you mainly watching TV (for let's say, Sports) or are you mainly watching movies? When you watch a movie, are you just looking for a bright, clean picture or are you absolutely anal about getting the highest quality color reproduction with perfect flesh tones, the deepest blacks and a presentation that exactly replicates what the director had in mind?

When you walk into an electronics store and see all sets on the wall in "TV store demo mode" with the contrast and brightness turned all the way up, do you think this looks good? Do you think when Blu-ray movies look like "soap operas", that's a good thing or a bad thing? When you see film grain, does that bother you?

If it's the former, you need a fairly high end set and probably a plasma. if it's the latter and/or if you mainly watch TV, then almost any set will do.

Personally, I'd stay away from brands like Westinghouse, Emerson, Magnavox and Sylvania, which are defunct American TV manufacturers whose names are now licensed to Funai, a Chinese maker of generic sets. In addition, the Philips sets sold in the United States are not manufactured by Philips - they are also a brand license that is also manufactured by Funai. I'd also stay away from Insignia, which is the Best Buy house brand and Vizio, which is mainly sold by big box stores like Wal Mart, Costco, etc.

All IMO, of course.

Last edited by ZoetMB; 02-02-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #4

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskclickgeneral View Post
I've been thinking about upgrading from my 32" Sony Bravia. Although I've been pleased with Sony, I wanted to know if the other brands are better quality? Which one is the best brand: Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic

I would like to stick with LED-LCD, anywhere from 45"-55" range, I have no desire for 3D (although I would get one if it improved picture quality on 2D).

Thanks alot for the advice, as I don't know a great deal about tvs, only the standard stuff really.
CAREFULL with LED. Not all are FULL ARRAY WITH BACKLIGHTING which is A MUST for a good LED HDTV. They are all EDGE LIT but if they do not say FULL ARRAY WITH LOCAL DIMMING AND BACKLIGHTING THEN DO NOT BUY!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #5

Dec 2010
USA

The thing that sucks is that local dimming rarely comes in bedroom sizes like 37-40 inches.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Banned

Feb 2007

Get a Samsung
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

Jun 2010
Hattiesburg, MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Get a Samsung
No, get a Sony.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Special Member

Feb 2008
Cincinnati, OH

how much are you looking to spend? what do you normally use the tv for? movies, cable/satellite, gaming, etc. and as has been mentioned in this thread already, do you prefer a really bright, colorful picture or do you prefer it to be really close to what you might get in a movie theater? once you let us know this info we can go from there
PSN ID skillzthtkillz
Old 02-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

A good 3D TV is a good 2D TV and these days there isn't much of a premium for 3D. My approach to TV buying is: Reduce your choice to 3 brands. From your original post, you seem to have already done that. (Sony, Samsung, Panasonic). Those would be my 3 brand choices as well.

Next, use the CNET, BEST BUY and CRUTCHFIELD websites to whittle the selections down to 4 or 5 sets. All 3 sites have filters to help you do that.

Next, read the reviews for the sets on the sites. Select one set from each brand.

Next, go to Best Buy or a retailer of your choice that carry the models of interest. Give them all a thorough workout with remote in hand. Take a few days to do this. I would also suggest a review of the owner's manual of the three sets you are evaluating. (PDF's are available on Crutchfield.com)

Once you have made your final selection, place your order on Amazon.com to save money on taxes and shipping.

I predict that you will wind up buying another Sony.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

I have a Sharp Aquos and I can't complain. It's an excellent set. I was also looking at a Toshiba. But, my feelings on Sharp is this... If you had 2 Ham Sandwiches, and they were identical in every way, except 1 (the sony) had pickles on it -- but it cost $20 more... how badly do you want those pickles?

I'm sure that'll ruffle a few feathers, and its not meant to - its my honest opinion about them.
TV: LG42LM6200 3DTV / Panasonic Viera TC-P50UT50
Blu Ray Player: Seiki BD 660 / Sony BDP-S590
HTPC: Running Ubuntu w/ XBMC
Consoles: Wii / Xbox 360

I'm Ron Burgundy?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
Banned

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
I have a Sharp Aquos and I can't complain. It's an excellent set. I was also looking at a Toshiba. But, my feelings on Sharp is this... If you had 2 Ham Sandwiches, and they were identical in every way, except 1 (the sony) had pickles on it -- but it cost $20 more... how badly do you want those pickles?

I'm sure that'll ruffle a few feathers, and its not meant to - its my honest opinion about them.
I would buy the Sony because I love pickles to death!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #12

Dec 2007
Winston-Salem , NC

Dynex is the best EVER!!!!!
Samsung LN52A650
PS3 160gb
Denon AVR-1909
Oppo BDP-83
Klipsch Sub-12
Klipsch F-2's, B-2's, RC-10
ScAtl 8240hdc
Elite 360
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #13

Dec 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric turd View Post
Dynex is the best EVER!!!!!
[Show spoiler]

Last edited by Caleb; 03-12-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #14

Dec 2007
Winston-Salem , NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
[Show spoiler]
Not serious
Samsung LN52A650
PS3 160gb
Denon AVR-1909
Oppo BDP-83
Klipsch Sub-12
Klipsch F-2's, B-2's, RC-10
ScAtl 8240hdc
Elite 360
Old 02-05-2011, 04:03 AM   #15

Jan 2010
Freehold, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillzthatKillz View Post
how much are you looking to spend? what do you normally use the tv for? movies, cable/satellite, gaming, etc. and as has been mentioned in this thread already, do you prefer a really bright, colorful picture or do you prefer it to be really close to what you might get in a movie theater? once you let us know this info we can go from there
my bad, haven't had access to a computer in a while. I'd use it 90% for bd's, 9% TV (cable) and 1% Games (PS3). I'd like to try to keep it under $15000, but I'd be willing to go up to $2000 if its really worth it. I usually prefer very vibrant picture and currently have mine set to Vivid.

Thanks alot guys, sorry I haven't responded
Old 02-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #16

Jan 2010
Freehold, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
CAREFULL with LED. Not all are FULL ARRAY WITH BACKLIGHTING which is A MUST for a good LED HDTV. They are all EDGE LIT but if they do not say FULL ARRAY WITH LOCAL DIMMING AND BACKLIGHTING THEN DO NOT BUY!!!!!!
sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about much of the lighting. I really only know about the very basic stuff. How much of an impact does that have on the pq?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskclickgeneral View Post
sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about much of the lighting. I really only know about the very basic stuff. How much of an impact does that have on the pq?
Not being a d!ck, but if you aren't knowledgeable enough to know the difference between edge lit and full array LED backlighting, why do you even have your mind made up on an LED-LCD? For the $$, a good plasma will outshine any comparably priced LED/LCD. Not needing 3D, I'd recommend you look at a Panasonic 54G25 or an LG PK750 or 950 series (though you'd have to choose from either a 50" or 60", nothing in between). Food for thought.
Genius has its limits, however there is no limit on stupidity.

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS3 Slim
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 02-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Get a Samsung
Get a Plasma!
Modern
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 02-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #19

Jul 2010
Pine Bluff, AR

Hey guys! I was thinking getting this to replace my Vizio:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...2#BVRRWidgetID
Tyrone
Receiver: Pioneer VSX 519V-K
TV: Panasonic TC-P46S30
Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 60
Center: Polk Audio CS1
Rears: Polk Audio T15s
Sub: Lava LSP10
Old 02-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #20

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Personally, I'd stay away from brands like Westinghouse, Emerson, Magnavox and Sylvania, which are defunct American TV manufacturers whose names are now licensed to Funai, a Chinese maker of generic sets. In addition, the Philips sets sold in the United States are not manufactured by Philips - they are also a brand license that is also manufactured by Funai. I'd also stay away from Insignia, which is the Best Buy house brand and Vizio, which is mainly sold by big box stores like Wal Mart, Costco, etc.

All IMO, of course.
Wait... Funai is from China?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion