Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.44
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #1

Apr 2008
Long Island, NY.
USA Oppo BDP-93 vs Oppo BDP-95 which one should I get?

Dear everyone, after long waiting for BDP-93 and BDP-95, I think lots of people are wondering: which one should I get?

My suggestion is (I am not affiliated with OPPO in any way): If you use a BD player to connect to your HT system through HDMI, BDP-93 is for you. Period.

But, for people who is using traditional receivers, is BDP-95 worth it? Well, that depends.

The main difference between Oppo BDP-93 and BDP-95 is the audio board, however, the difference is not just $500! The difference is HUGE! BDP-93 and BDP-95 have exactly the same video circuits: SMPS (95 comes with isolation) --> video main board --> BD drive. But the difference stops here.

If you are a serious stereophile like me who want to take the advantage of ESS Sabre32, National Semiconductor LM4562/LME49720/LME49724 (all OP amps are one of them), WIMA MKP 5% caps, polystyrene caps and so on. Then BDP-95 is designed for you!

The architecture of BDP-95 is: power IEC inlet --> 2 power supply boards (1 is the same as that of BDP-93's Switching Power Supply, however, the other one connect to a insulated toroidal transformer made for BDP-95. These two power supplies are connected in parallel). I have no interests in reporting the video part, since people already familiar with Oppo's BD players performance.

On the power supply to audio board, there are 4 1N400X type of diodes (which makes modification easy), and ELNA 3300 uF, 50V x 4 filtering caps, and after LM317 regulators, there are 6 x ELNA SILMIC 470uF, 25V filtering caps. The raw DC power then feed into the audio board with 2 x ESS 9018 DACs. On this board, all power supplies are regulated again, and each IC/OP amps, power supplies are regulated, decoupled by a 220uF, 25V elco caps by-pass by Wima MKP 0.47 uF, 100V, 5% metalized PP caps. For each OP amps's compensation network, they are all using polystyrene and metal film resistors! Well, probably I should say all resisters are 1/8 W 1% metal film resistors!

After my baby got burned in, I will probably change stereo parts' caps all to Panasonic FM or Rubycon ones. But, at this time, no decision has been made.

For serious videophiles, BDP-95 is also for you, especially you drive each speaker separately with dedicated amps in your HT. Go for BDP-95.

Put it in this way, I have not seen any high-end audio equipments designed like this level for a price tag under $5000! I took some pictures already, when I find a place to host them, I will add the links later.

Further sound evaluation will come 2 weeks later (system break-in)... I will use OPPO BDP-95 --> Quad 606-II --> Tannoy Studio near field monitor to do the comparison. First listen: Sony SCD-XA5400ES is out!

Mike: you will be very very surprised!
Audio: Sony SCD1, XA5400ES, Quad CD67, Revox 126, 226, B&O CD5500, AIFF on NAS, MacMini, Apple Airport Extreme, Logitech Transporter, Rebuilt Behringer SRC2496, DEQ2496, Quad 606II x 2, DIY Balanced OTL Mono Amplifiers x 2, DIY 2-way Speakers, Antelope OCX Clock, 10M Atomic Clock.
Video: Sony BDPS1, Sony BDPS1000ES, Samsung BDC6500, Samsung BDC3600, LG BD390, Oppo BDP83 x 4, Oppo BDP93, Panasonic DMP45K, Sony PS3 x 4, Sony KDL-32XBR6, Samsung UN40C6300SF, Sony "Golf Ball" 5.1 sound system.

Last edited by Sunnyboy; 02-06-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

Feb 2011
N. California
Send a message via Skype™ to huaguosan
Red face Thanks

Expert analysis and quite to the point. I will go with the 95. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #3

Apr 2008
Long Island, NY.
Default ESS Sabre32 9018

For people who wants to know more technical details or involving in more technical discussion of ESS 9018 chip, you can find a lot at http://www.diyaudio.com
Audio: Sony SCD1, XA5400ES, Quad CD67, Revox 126, 226, B&O CD5500, AIFF on NAS, MacMini, Apple Airport Extreme, Logitech Transporter, Rebuilt Behringer SRC2496, DEQ2496, Quad 606II x 2, DIY Balanced OTL Mono Amplifiers x 2, DIY 2-way Speakers, Antelope OCX Clock, 10M Atomic Clock.
Video: Sony BDPS1, Sony BDPS1000ES, Samsung BDC6500, Samsung BDC3600, LG BD390, Oppo BDP83 x 4, Oppo BDP93, Panasonic DMP45K, Sony PS3 x 4, Sony KDL-32XBR6, Samsung UN40C6300SF, Sony "Golf Ball" 5.1 sound system.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Jan 2008

Thnx for the analysis. I decided to go with the 93 as I use HDMI for video and have an older receiver using an optical audio in. Won't be getting a new receiver anytime soon, so your analysis helped me save $500.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Power Member

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobiewah View Post
Thnx for the analysis. I decided to go with the 93 as I use HDMI for video and have an older receiver using an optical audio in. Won't be getting a new receiver anytime soon, so your analysis helped me save $500.
With using optical audio you won't be getting lossless audio, just Dolby Digital or DTS with the player's audio output set to bitstream. With the player set to decode the audio and output PCM you'll only be getting 2 channel stereo. Does your receiver have mutli-channel analog input? (Not stereo, but 5.1 or 6.1) If you use that you'll get full lossless / High-def audio.
When you boil it all down, what does a man really need? Just a smoke and a cup of coffee. - Johnny Guitar
Old 02-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #6

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
With using optical audio you won't be getting lossless audio, just Dolby Digital or DTS with the player's audio output set to bitstream. With the player set to decode the audio and output PCM you'll only be getting 2 channel stereo. Does your receiver have mutli-channel analog input? (Not stereo, but 5.1 or 6.1) If you use that you'll get full lossless / High-def audio.
Unfortunately, the analog input on my receiver has never worked right and I didn't find out until after the warranty/return period was over (it was actually over two years before I found out, when I purchased a DVD player with multi-channel analog out to take advantage of that feature....) Too expensive to have someone fix it, so I've just stuck with the digital optical out using bitstream. I'm also more of a video guy than audio purist since my hearing was damaged years ago by a prescription med I was given for muscular problems. I'm excited about the Oppo video processing.

Thnx for the comment/heads up, tho!

Last edited by Doobiewah; 02-19-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Thanks for your analysis Steve...where do you think the BDP-83SE fits in? I only use two-channel stereo analog outs...the multichannel is routed through HDMI.
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #8

Jul 2011

Great post - very informative.

Could you please tell me how the Oppo 95 controls volume? I currently use an external monitor controller that features a stepped attenuator over optical coaxial (KRK Ergo) into powered speakers that do not offer a volume control (AE Pro Sat). These speakers will accept balanced inputs via XLR.

I have read that using a hardware attenuator to control volume is better than reducing the signal digitally due to bit loss and because of the risk of volume resetting to max could blow the speakers.

Do you know whether volume control in the 95 is achieved using an analogue method or is digital?

If the latter, would you suggest I go for the 93 as I would only be using the optical out?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Cheers
Ben
Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjiman View Post
Great post - very informative.

Could you please tell me how the Oppo 95 controls volume? I currently use an external monitor controller that features a stepped attenuator over optical coaxial (KRK Ergo) into powered speakers that do not offer a volume control (AE Pro Sat). These speakers will accept balanced inputs via XLR.

I have read that using a hardware attenuator to control volume is better than reducing the signal digitally due to bit loss and because of the risk of volume resetting to max could blow the speakers.

Do you know whether volume control in the 95 is achieved using an analogue method or is digital?

If the latter, would you suggest I go for the 93 as I would only be using the optical out?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Cheers
Ben
believe it or not, all the answers are in the manuals for the units and are available online in a pdf format at oppos site. not trying to be a smart ass either; just letting you know that they are available to read and study.

all oppos (80's & 90's) control analog out volume only. in the manual you would see there are volume + - buttons on the remote and it tells you what/why they are there.

you could actually connect any oppo (mentioned) directly up to an external amp (or in your case powered speakers with no volume control built into them) and contol the volume of it through the machine as long as it is connected via analog.

hope that helps
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 07-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #10

Jul 2009

So in plain english... If I have an Onkyo TX-SR875 that I would likely be connecting to my player via HDMI, the 93 is more than adequate. If i were going to run my oppo through a pre-pro seperates system (ie Emotiva), I would benefit more from the 95.

Matt
Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

It really depends on how much you care about the sound quality through the stereo analog outputs. If premium sound (CD/DVD/Blu-ray/SACD) through analog means nothing to you, go with the BDP-93. If all you care about is hooking up your Blu-ray player via HDMI to your receiver, go with the BDP-93.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #12

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
It really depends on how much you care about the sound quality through the stereo analog outputs. If premium sound (CD/DVD/Blu-ray/SACD) through analog means nothing to you, go with the BDP-93. If all you care about is hooking up your Blu-ray player via HDMI to your receiver, go with the BDP-93.
well my onkyo has analog inputs but with a PS3 as my only bluray player, i've never tried them. I dont know if i would notice a difference and $500 is a lot for an experiment. Would it make a difference whether it is the player or the reciever that is doing the HD audio decoding? I'm guessing the answer is yes for this thread to exist?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #13
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Here is my situation. I will probably be trading my Arcam rDAC for a Naim nDAC. I will be getting a 93 or 95. I will be running the optical or coaxial for 2 channel playback from the Oppo to the Naim dac. 2 channel pcm is possible over optical and coax. That is all I will use it for and not multichannel music. I believe the dacs on the Naim to be better than the built in Oppo imo. However I'm open to any suggestions & opinions on the matter on whether the 95 is the better route to go.
Dynaudio: Confidence C2 MKII - piano gloss white;
Drobo FS: NAS 15 TB;
Apple: 27" iMac, iPhone 5;
Sony: PlayStation 4
Panasonic: 50" 1080p plasma;
Popcorn Hour: A200 media streamer
Benq: W6000 projector
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdhrd View Post
well my onkyo has analog inputs but with a PS3 as my only bluray player, i've never tried them. I dont know if i would notice a difference and $500 is a lot for an experiment. Would it make a difference whether it is the player or the reciever that is doing the HD audio decoding? I'm guessing the answer is yes for this thread to exist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMF View Post
Here is my situation. I will probably be trading my Arcam rDAC for a Naim nDAC. I will be getting a 93 or 95. I will be running the optical or coaxial for 2 channel playback from the Oppo to the Naim dac. 2 channel pcm is possible over optical and coax. That is all I will use it for and not multichannel music. I believe the dacs on the Naim to be better than the built in Oppo imo. However I'm open to any suggestions & opinions on the matter on whether the 95 is the better route to go.
Without knowing your personal situations, both cases sound like the Oppo BDD-93 would be the best choice. Running the player to a DAC, you are just using the player as a transport. Strictly as a transport, there is little difference between the two players.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

Quote:
Without knowing your personal situations, both cases sound like the Oppo BDD-93 would be the best choice. Running the player to a DAC, you are just using the player as a transport. Strictly as a transport, there is little difference between the two players.
That is what I was thinking. Thanks.
Dynaudio: Confidence C2 MKII - piano gloss white;
Drobo FS: NAS 15 TB;
Apple: 27" iMac, iPhone 5;
Sony: PlayStation 4
Panasonic: 50" 1080p plasma;
Popcorn Hour: A200 media streamer
Benq: W6000 projector
Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #16

Jul 2009

Quote:
What details would you need? I'm looking for the best player I can get without hitting a point of diminishing returns on my money. Let me know what you need to know to help me with a better decision.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #17
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The Oppo BDP-95 only adds value if you plan to use the analog audio outputs. Even then it is mainly for the audio-centered person, one who regularly listens to CDs by themselves for instance.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
The Oppo BDP-95 only adds value if you plan to use the analog audio outputs. Even then it is mainly for the audio-centered person, one who regularly listens to CDs by themselves for instance.
No, it's also good if you listen to CDs with other people around, as long as they don't talk too much while the CD is playing.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #19

Jul 2011

Thanx for the infos about oppo 95.

I have some difficulties now choosing between 93 and 95.
The difference is just the analogue out .
I'd like to ask how is that difference. Is it very audible?

i think to buy a good external dac. A dac that sounds at least as good as the cd player jolida jd100s.

But if the oppo 95 has a very good sound quality, I'll buy the 95 and no ext dac.
If the sound should be similar to 93's, i'd buy oppo 93 and an ext dac, maybe a xindac 20th anniversary.

I haven't heard many dacs, I can't say to be an expert. I just know the sound of the arcam rdac (with new power supply), and I judge it very poor.
And I've listened the m2tech young dac, and I think it isn't sooo good.

thank you for any suggestions
Old 07-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurisius View Post
Thanx for the infos about oppo 95.

I have some difficulties now choosing between 93 and 95.
The difference is just the analogue out .
I'd like to ask how is that difference. Is it very audible?

i think to buy a good external dac. A dac that sounds at least as good as the cd player jolida jd100s.

But if the oppo 95 has a very good sound quality, I'll buy the 95 and no ext dac.
If the sound should be similar to 93's, i'd buy oppo 93 and an ext dac, maybe a xindac 20th anniversary.

I haven't heard many dacs, I can't say to be an expert. I just know the sound of the arcam rdac (with new power supply), and I judge it very poor.
And I've listened the m2tech young dac, and I think it isn't sooo good.

thank you for any suggestions
Whether it's audible will depend upon the rest of your chain and the type of music that you listen to. If you listen mostly to contemporary rock music, it's so processed and over-compressed, it's really not going to make any difference. If you listen to fine classical recordings, it will make a difference.

Personally, I think it's overkill to buy an external DAC when using the OPPO, unless you have positive confirmation from trusted sources that the external DAC does a better job than OPPO's internal DAC. And I'd personally trust such a source only if they did a double-blind comparison. Personally....I'd go with the 95 and forget the external DAC. And if you have so much money that it's not a big deal to buy the external DAC, then I'd go for the 95 anyway.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders