Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Dallas Buyers Club (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Bridesmaids (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Django Unchained (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Expendables 2 (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ride Along (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Columbus, Ohio
Default What's the rationale for "Blu-ray/DVD Combo Packs"?

I'm fairly new to the game, just got my first player last xmas. What's the point in having Blu Ray's come with a DVD copy? It just seems to drive the cost up on a product I want by including one that I don't want at all. Case in point, I had a gift card to Blockbuster and went in to use it, they had 3 versions of Inception. a 19.99 Blu-Ray version, a 24.99 "DVD COMBO + DIGITAL COPY" version, and then I think just a DVD. ALL three had wildly different extras. I ended up getting the 19.99 Blu Ray version because...thats what I wanted to get but I feel like I got gipped sort of by not getting any of the extras that come with the higher-priced DVD Combo version.

Thoughts? I don't see why this is even a thing.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #2

Jan 2009

There are still a LOT of DVD players out there. Maybe I want to buy a movie that I can watch in my Blu-Ray player, but in the kids room or bedroom I want to watch the same movie...but, I don't have a Blu-Ray there yet. How about the mini-van? Or the portable?

I personally love the combos as I get to watch the movie on any player/format I own.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #3

Jun 2010
Tigard, OR

This has been talked about in many threads. Wether it is driving up the cost i dont know but if it is just the Blu you want buy it and leave the other copy with the DVD or digital copy behind. The studios wouldnt be doing if there wasnt a demand plus not all homes have Blu players in every room. I personally like having all the media in one purchase do to the fact i can load the digital copies to my computer or hard drive and can take them when i travel. Same goes for DVD as our vehicle can play DVD not Blu for those road trips.
TVs - Panasonic TC-P65V10 (65" PLASMA), Sharp LC-60SQ17U (60" LED Active 3D), LG 42LM6200 (42" LED Passive 3D)

Blu-Ray Players- Sony PS3 Slim 250GB, Sony BDP-S590, Sony BDP-S5200, Sony BDP-BX18

Movies - Blus 300 plus and growing, DVD's 1000 plus
Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The rationale for the movie studios was purely to raise price points and increase first-week sales. It is a marketing angle more than any other reason.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Oct 2009
Charlotte, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYWalker View Post
There are still a LOT of DVD players out there. Maybe I want to buy a movie that I can watch in my Blu-Ray player, but in the kids room or bedroom I want to watch the same movie...but, I don't have a Blu-Ray there yet. How about the mini-van? Or the portable?

I personally love the combos as I get to watch the movie on any player/format I own.
Ditto. For the first 2 years of the format, my wife and I only owned 1 blu-ray player (which stayed with the home theater in the living room), so having the DVD to play in our bedroom was super convenient. We now have a blu-ray player for the bedroom, so at times, the BD/DVD combo pack is a bit irritating when that is the only version with any extras, but I'll usually still buy the combo packs for that very reason.
A/V Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P60ST50 Plasma Display
Denon AVR-891 A/V Receiver
Energy Take Classic Speakers
Playstation 3 Slim
Xbox 360
Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
Power Member

Apr 2010
Mokena, IL

Blu ray for my room and DVD for my little brother's room
I don't care for 3D at all. I am just fine with 2D blu-ray movies and my 2D 32" HDTV.

If you live in America, please buy American whenever possible to support our economy!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Out there...past the trees...

It might attract customers who still have DVD players only and haven't made the jump to BD. If they are thinking about buying a BD player, they can buy a movie now and still enjoy the DVD copy, futureproofing their collection.

I buy into them sometimes because the DVD can be played on my laptop if I go somewhere. Also, some DVDs actually have more extras than the BD. I often make my own combo packs for those two reasons (and I don't often feel like selling movies).
Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

I like em because i only got one friend with a blu-ray player, not counting ps3's so i can actually take new movies elsewhere. Have not bought one in a while so unless they went up combo's should not increase the price, and if they do it should not be buy much, unless you shop somewhere like bestbuy where msrp is a license to rape your wallet.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2005
England

They are handy for the car - we have a portable DVD player, as far as I'm aware there aren't any portable blu-ray players yet.

It also means the film can be watched on a DVD laptop.

I like these combo packages and they work out excellent value for money; effectively you're getting the blu-ray for about five quid (over what you'd pay for the DVD alone).
Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #10

Nov 2010

only catalog titles with dvd copy annoy me(yes i'm talking about you disney!), if you like the movie you probably already have the dvd. but I'm ok with new releases although i dont use it i'm sure there are people that do. But the point is marketing... "3 disc set" or "4 disc set"
Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
Sarasota, FL

[QUOTE=Al_The_Strange;4384520]It might attract customers who still have DVD players only and haven't made the jump to BD. If they are thinking about buying a BD player, they can buy a movie now and still enjoy the DVD copy, futureproofing their collection.

QUOTE]

I'm with you on this!
Talon884
Sarasota, FL.

"I find your lack of faith ... disturbing"
Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Power Member

Mar 2007

It seems that most studios offer the 1 disc BD sku in addition to the combo usually. If you don't want the combo, don't buy it.

For me, I have three young kids and prefer to get the combo version for family movies. That way we can play the movie in the car, on a portable DVD player when traveling on planes, etc.

I like the idea of the combo (but only with a separate DVD, not the flipper discs).
Old 02-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #13

Jul 2008
Lethbridge, AB

Love the Combo packs while they last...before they discontinue DVD..

Blu-ray --- HT, Living Room & bedroom
DVD -- Vehicle Entertainment System
DC -- IPAD

Until they discontinue DVD, I will continue to get the combo pack. It is best of all worlds for me personally, but realize that it may be useless frustrating for those that do not require anything but the BD.
TV: 52" Sharp Aquos & Panny ae4000u projector on 106" Draper screen
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-6160
Equipment: 120GB PS3 SLIM, SHAW HD PVR, Wii, Monoprice HDMI powered switch
Speakers: Energy C-500's (Front), RC-LCR, C-200 Bookshelves (Rear)
Subs: Velodyne DSP-10, Polk PSW 125
Power: Monster HTS 1600
To Control it all: Harmony One w PS3 adapter
Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Saginaw, MI

Love them actually.

Blu-Ray: Living room, basement family room, bedroom.

DVD: Kid's room, mini-van
Main Gear: Samsung PN60E550 - Region Free Sony BDP-S790 - Xbox 360 Slim 250 - Wii - Onkyo 606 - OTA - Windows Media Center - Logitech Harmony One
Basement Gear: Samsung 46" lcd - Sony BDP-S370 - OTA - Logitech Harmony X-Box
Bedroom Gear: Sony KDL-40Z4100 40" - HTPC
Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
It might attract customers who still have DVD players only and haven't made the jump to BD. If they are thinking about buying a BD player, they can buy a movie now and still enjoy the DVD copy, futureproofing their collection.

I buy into them sometimes because the DVD can be played on my laptop if I go somewhere. Also, some DVDs actually have more extras than the BD. I often make my own combo packs for those two reasons (and I don't often feel like selling movies).
This guy gets it exactly right. Without the combo packs, sales of both DVD and BD might be lower because people who know they're going to upgrade to BD in the future don't want to further invest in DVD, but they can't yet use BD. And then there's also the laptop issue, especially for Mac owners, since the erstwhile Mr. Jobs has refused to put a BD player in a Mac.

But I think within the next year, we'll see far fewer combo packs as the price of BD players has dropped so much. There are now some players in the $100 range and I think we'll begin to see manufacturers stop making DVD-only players, except at the extreme low end. Once you have a larger penetration of BD players in homes, combo packs will be somewhat less necessary for most people, although they still have some utility for those with laptops, older DVD players in the kids' rooms, etc.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 AM   #16
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
But I think within the next year, we'll see far fewer combo packs as the price of BD players has dropped so much.
I predict the opposite (more combo's and exclusive combos). Moving to combo-only releases, as opposed to seperate Blu Ray and DVD releases, could simplify things for retailers, distributors, and the studios.

Some titles are already combo-only in some markets.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 AM   #17

Oct 2010

Along with other points made, the DVD copies are good for bringing movies over for movie nights at someone's house who doesn't have a Blu-Ray player.

Also, with the whole "future-proofing" topic, when BDs go on sale a lot of times the DVD versions are only maybe $5 or so cheaper than the Blu-Ray versions so it wouldn't be a bad idea to just get the BD combo pack.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:02 AM   #18

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon View Post
Along with other points made, the DVD copies are good for bringing movies over for movie nights at someone's house who doesn't have a Blu-Ray player.
That's why I like them.

-papaholmz
Sig-less; it's just better that way.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu2 View Post
I predict the opposite (more combo's and exclusive combos). Moving to combo-only releases, as opposed to seperate Blu Ray and DVD releases, could simplify things for retailers, distributors, and the studios.

Some titles are already combo-only in some markets.
The reason why I don't think this will be the case is that those who stick with DVD don't feel they can afford BD. And BD/DVD combo packs generally cost even more, even if the upcharge for including the DVD is slight. So if the manufacturers do only combos, they're going to lose the average Joe sales. And at this point, they don't want to lose any sales.

In my local video store, there are tons of quality backlist DVD titles that sell for as little as $6. The studios wind up with $3-$4 of that. The studios can't make any profit at that price - they're just letting them go so they can generate cash flow. This tells me that the studios want cash flow and revenue and that they're less concerned about profits. Therefore, they don't want to lose any customers which means they'll still keep manufacturing DVD. That's why I think (in addition to more penetration of BD players) we'll see fewer combos going forward. But even if I'm wrong about that, I would be very surprised to see very many exclusive combos (no independent DVD release), unless it's for a short window.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 AM   #20
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
The reason why I don't think this will be the case is that those who stick with DVD don't feel they can afford BD. And BD/DVD combo packs generally cost even more, even if the upcharge for including the DVD is slight. So if the manufacturers do only combos, they're going to lose the average Joe sales. And at this point, they don't want to lose any sales.

In my local video store, there are tons of quality backlist DVD titles that sell for as little as $6. The studios wind up with $3-$4 of that. The studios can't make any profit at that price - they're just letting them go so they can generate cash flow. This tells me that the studios want cash flow and revenue and that they're less concerned about profits. Therefore, they don't want to lose any customers which means they'll still keep manufacturing DVD. That's why I think (in addition to more penetration of BD players) we'll see fewer combos going forward. But even if I'm wrong about that, I would be very surprised to see very many exclusive combos (no independent DVD release), unless it's for a short window.
I don't know if combos will take off or not. You are right that cheap DVDs are for cashflow, but it is just as much about getting rid of excess inventory and that inventory does not exist if the high end market does not exist (i.e. once the inventory is done, why create new ones just for the cheap market that brings no profit). On the other hand I disagree with you. Even though VHS cost more to produce then DVD, VHS tapes where sold for less then DVD, and cheap people would buy them. Yet studios did not have an issue with dropping VHS, it was the kick in the butt needed by some people I know to switch to DVD. If people want movies and are not ready to pirate then they will switch and the ones that don't have an issue with pirating probably already do it. Also, not exactly the same thing, but I have bought a few BDs for 5$ on sale.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology