COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Hercules (Blu-ray)
$19.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
From The New World: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$43.08
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$7.98
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey
Default A Christmas Story on Blu-ray

A Christmas Story Blu-ray Review

A Christmas Story Blu-ray 2006

A Christmas Story Blu-ray 2008

A Christmas Story Ultimate Collector's Edition Blu-ray 2008

Finally sat down to watch it today. Most of you know the story. Little Ralphie wants a Red Rider BB gun for Christmas while everyone tells him, "You'll shoot your eye out."

I watched it, got my usual laughs and wondered if I was really seeing something better. Darn it, sometimes my eyes deceive me. Well, I throw in the ol' SD DVD version from just 3 years ago and it is NIGHT AND DAY.

It has gone from 4:3 to 16:9. The picture is crisp and didn't have any of the ugly graininess or ugly artifacting of that piss poor transfer on DVD. Although the extra content was at 480i, any movie clips in the extra content were the cleaned up version and still looked fantastic. Yet another reason to buy blu-ray. Even if you do not have an HDTV yet, the 480i picture is still much cleaner and sharper than anything on DVD.

You get to see some of the kids all grown up in the extras. Ralphie, a couple of friends and the red headed bully kid. Geeze, he still looks mean but appears to be a very nice guy.

I Triple Dog Dare YOU not to buy this movie. You'll enjoy it twice as much.
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-26-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
Special Member

Jul 2007
Michigan

I was in the same boat as you when I first watched it, but also like you, upon second review its a much better transfer. This one will always be a classic to me, and one no one should miss. I know I'll be picking it up soon enough.
Panny 55GT31
Panny 50S2
Panny 4280u

When I was young, it seemed that life was wonderful, a miracle, oh it was so beautiful, magical. - The Logical Song
Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
::1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron3 View Post
I Triple Dog Dare YOU not to buy this movie. You'll enjoy it twice as much.
OMG! Complete breach of etiquette! You can't go right to triple dog dare.

Yeah - I'm gonna buy it for the holidays and put it on while we open thousands of BDs from Santa!
-Chris
Old 09-12-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

I have a copy, but am waiting for the holidays to watch. Good to hear that it came out well.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
Special Member

May 2007
CANADA
Cool

I will not purchase this because I love watching it over the Xmas holidays, and I couldn't see myself watching this one any other time of the year. It's just a personal tradition. I like to catch this and NL Xmas Vacation on cable during their holiday run.
You're in my spot...
Old 09-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
Macon Georgia

Hey did you guys know that Scott Farkus had yellow eyes? So help me God yellow eyes!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!! I love this movie so much I actually will look at it in the middle of the summer.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Cali
Send a message via AIM to JonD7 Send a message via MSN to JonD7 Send a message via Yahoo to JonD7

i'd like this on Blu for Christmas, I wish I could get the animated Grinch on Blu tho, that would be perfect, these two films and Nightmare Before Christmas on Blu, then my Christmas' will be perfect!
Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #8

Aug 2007

I bought this on blu a while ago because I just love Christmas movies and this is one of my wife's favorite movies of all time. I put it in just to see what it looked like (because I won't actually watch the whole thing unless it's Christmas) and was mildly impressed. But then I put in the standard dvd and realized how incredible the blu-ray actually looked when compared to the original. It was the same way with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 AM   #9
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

I ordered this from Warner for their 25% off sale. I'm interested to see how good it looks.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:37 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB View Post
OMG! Complete breach of etiquette! You can't go right to triple dog dare.
Hey, I am the founder of the blu-bloods with a LARGE following. I can do what I want.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
Old 09-12-2007, 02:40 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Lakeland,FL
Send a message via AIM to dgator783

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieking View Post
I will not purchase this because I love watching it over the Xmas holidays, and I couldn't see myself watching this one any other time of the year. It's just a personal tradition. I like to catch this and NL Xmas Vacation on cable during their holiday run.
same here....I usually watch it about 4 times on xmas on the TNT marathon.....a tradition I started which is going on about 7-8 years now....my fav. xmas movie of all time
Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

And nobody even noticed that the "sequel", "My Summer Story" hit SD (after missing theaters almost completely) last year--

That one's not...bad, if you don't mind Ralphie being replaced by Macaulay Culkin's kid brother, Dad being replaced by a Beethoven-mugging Charles Grodin, and....the fact that Bob Clark's still directing it.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #13

Mar 2007

Quote:
...red headed bully kid. Geeze, he still looks mean but appears to be a very nice guy.
Did you ever watch the show Titus on Fox? The red headed kid was the best friend of the main character on that show.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #14
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu As Hell View Post
Hey did you guys know that Scott Farkus had yellow eyes? So help me God yellow eyes!!!!!!!!!!!
The guy who played Farkus is starring in the latest video game film by Uwe Boll, called "Postal".
Old 09-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Indianapolis

Here's a little trivia for all of you.

The guy who wrote the book, from which the movie is based, narrated the movie and had a cameo in it.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #16
Power Member

May 2007
Charm City

damn it was hoping this was going to be a piss poor transfer the bd looked like crap. now i have to buy this before the holidays, that way i can run my own version of 24 hours of a christmas story.
50" 720p Samsung DLP
Nintendo Wii
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagast View Post
Here's a little trivia for all of you.

The guy who wrote the book, from which the movie is based, narrated the movie and had a cameo in it.
Oh, I know he did the narration. Where is his cameo? I suppose he didn't talk otherwise you would know it is him. It's one thing to write a story like that, it is another to have the voice talent to narrate it.

Creatures of Hard Media
Old 09-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

This was the first BD I got... Christmas present before I had my PS3.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Omaha NE
-
-

I will have to get this as I cannot stand watching the DVD that I have. Did anyone else notice the slight undulation of the picture? drives me crazy. I have heard that the problem was never fixed in later releases.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
Oh, I know he did the narration. Where is his cameo? I suppose he didn't talk otherwise you would know it is him. It's one thing to write a story like that, it is another to have the voice talent to narrate it.
He did talk in the cameo. In the scene where Ralphie and his brother are in the dept. store to get in line for Santa Claus, they are standing looking up at where Santa is. A man in a beard shouts out to them, "hey kid the end of the line is back here" or something like that. That was Jean Shepherd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Story
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America