Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Default Question about LCD burn-in (Netflix streaming on Wii)

I just got a 32" Vizio for my kids for the Wii so they can play their games and watch their movies, etc. I've never had an LCD TV before (our main TV is a Mits. DLP and the rest of the TV's in our house are all CRT's). My concern is with Netflix streaming through the Wii. With everything else, I don't have any issues re: 4:3 programming because I just set the TV to wide/panoramic to stretch the display. Even without he Wii itself, it's not a problem with games but with Netflix streaming, no matter what I set the display settings on the TV to, the display remains at 4:3 with the black bars on the side, and yes the Wii is set to 16:9 but it doesn't matter. Unless I have the TV set to wide/panoramic the Wii will not display ANYTHING at 16:9, despite the 16:9 setting on the console.

So, I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to live with the black bars on all 4:3 programming on the Netflix streaming but I want to know how to minimize the effect of the black bars. The kids watch a lot of old cartoons and this TV is really for them, and our old CRT RP 1080i Panasonic was ruined by the black bars and screen burn-in and I would like to try to avoid this problem at all costs. Advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Banned

Feb 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to linkgx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainhawk1 View Post
I just got a 32" Vizio for my kids for the Wii so they can play their games and watch their movies, etc. I've never had an LCD TV before (our main TV is a Mits. DLP and the rest of the TV's in our house are all CRT's). My concern is with Netflix streaming through the Wii. With everything else, I don't have any issues re: 4:3 programming because I just set the TV to wide/panoramic to stretch the display. Even without he Wii itself, it's not a problem with games but with Netflix streaming, no matter what I set the display settings on the TV to, the display remains at 4:3 with the black bars on the side, and yes the Wii is set to 16:9 but it doesn't matter. Unless I have the TV set to wide/panoramic the Wii will not display ANYTHING at 16:9, despite the 16:9 setting on the console.

So, I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to live with the black bars on all 4:3 programming on the Netflix streaming but I want to know how to minimize the effect of the black bars. The kids watch a lot of old cartoons and this TV is really for them, and our old CRT RP 1080i Panasonic was ruined by the black bars and screen burn-in and I would like to try to avoid this problem at all costs. Advice?

Thanks in advance.
The TV won't burn-in, per say because it doesn't have phosphors like plasma/crt. However, if left for an extremly long time this my cause image persistance....which is the lcds version of burn in. This is when the liquid in the screen can't "untwist". Manufacturers don't know why this happens and its subject to model/brand. However, this will happen with ANY technology. Actually, this generally will happen with virtually ANYTHING on this planet. If you leave handcuffs on your hands for too long (3 years?) your skin will eventually grow over it.

So, just don't make it an everyday/24/7 thing.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #3

Jan 2011
Thumbs down

Quote:
With everything else, I don't have any issues re: 4:3 programming because I just set the TV to wide/panoramic to stretch the display. Even without he Wii itself, it's not a problem with games but with Netflix streaming, no matter what I set the display settings on the TV to, the display remains at 4:3 with the black bars on the side, and yes the Wii is set to 16:9 but it doesn't matter. Unless I have the TV set to wide/panoramic the Wii will not display ANYTHING at 16:9, despite the 16:9 setting on the console.

So, I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to live with the black bars on all 4:3 programming on the Netflix streaming but I want to know how to minimize the effect of the black bars.
Are you serious?

You wanna get people, cartoons and other stuff to look weird on your tv?

Why do you say "black bars"? There is no such things as black bars. It's "lack of image". By stretching the video to fill the screen you are screwing it.

You should get used to the original aspect ratio of each show or movie, rather than stretching it to fill your tv. Occasionally, when I see this I just wanna puke.

People really think they are making the image look better by filling up the screen with a stretched image... Weird. There is nothing you can do that will make a 4:3 aspect ratio to look like 16:9. Just STRETCHING it will cause people to look fat, objects to look unrealistic and some words not readable.

Really, really weird taste!

Actually, I never heard of burn in on LCD tvs or liquids on lcd lol

Last edited by madbluray; 02-19-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2008
San Diego

Everyone has different viewing tastes. He has a legit question. Posts like that will get you banned real fast. Why not try and be helpful instead of trying to make someone sound stupid, which in turn makes you look like an ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbluray View Post
Are you serious?

Why do you say "black bars"? There is no such things as black bars. It's "lack of image". By stretching the video to fill the screen you are screwing it.

You should get used to the original aspect ratio of each show or movie, rather than stretching it to fill your tv. Occasionally, when I see this I just wanna puke.

People really think they are making the image look better by filling up the screen with a stretched image... Weird. There is nothing you can do that will make a 4:3 aspect ratio to look like 16:9. Just STRETCHING it will cause people to look fat, objects to look unrealistic and some words not readable.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #5

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Are you serious?

Are you serious? What are you, 12? Why don't you read the whole post, newbie, instead of just scanning it and making dopey comments?

First, let me make this clear one more time for the cheap seats: this TV is for my kids, not me. I'm far less concerned about the image being stretched and distorted than I am over causing long-term damage to the display. My concern comes from the fact that the majority of the shows my kids watch are in 4:3 and I've seen the effects of screen burn-in personally on my old CRT RP HDTV display (long since retired) and I was under the impression that both plasma and LCD screens can suffer from the same issue. Apparently, it doesn't as noted by linkgx1 so I have nothing to be concerned about.

Second, I know exactly what the "black bars" are, junior, and so does every other regular on this forum. Using the term "black bars" is simply short-hand to quickly get the point across without going into a lengthy explanation. Just because this is my first LCD, it doesn't mean that it's my first or only HDTV. Again, read the whole post.

Third, and again for the cheap seats: this has nothing to do with "really, really weird taste" and everything to do with trying to protect my display from damage.

In the future, why don't you try to avoid being a complete douche when you post? It would be appreciated.

BTW, linkgx1, thanks for the tip. You cleared up the issue for me.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #6

Feb 2008
MA

Quote:
Are you serious?

That was hilarious. I really loved the line "by stretching the video to fill the screen you are screwing it". At any rate, I prefer my video not stretched, but your off the handle response was uncalled for. Did make me laugh though.

Moving along. I've heard it called a few different things in regards to an lcd. Image sticking, and image persistence are the two most common names for it.

As linkg said, it's because the liquid crystals get so use to being twisted in one shape they can't untwist. It is very rare an takes far more than a few hours every couple of days. So the pillarboxed image from netflix will not harm your tv, Captainhawk.
Samsung PN-60E530
Samsung LN-52A650
Denon AVR-2310CI
Aperion Audio 4T (LF,RF) 5C (C) 5B (SL,SR SBL,SBR)
Aperion Audio Bravus 8D (Sub)
PS3 Slim (120GB) with Harmony PS3 Adapter
Harmony Touch
Displays Calibrated using Eye-One LT and HCFR
Old 02-20-2011, 12:21 AM   #7

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd_nasty View Post
That was hilarious. I really loved the line "by stretching the video to fill the screen you are screwing it". At any rate, I prefer my video not stretched, but your off the handle response was uncalled for. Did make me laugh though.

Moving along. I've heard it called a few different things in regards to an lcd. Image sticking, and image persistence are the two most common names for it.

As linkg said, it's because the liquid crystals get so use to being twisted in one shape they can't untwist. It is very rare an takes far more than a few hours every couple of days. So the pillarboxed image from netflix will not harm your tv, Captainhawk.
^^^Word. Thanks, lloyd.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #8

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigtat77 View Post
Everyone has different viewing tastes. He has a legit question. Posts like that will get you banned real fast. Why not try and be helpful instead of trying to make someone sound stupid, which in turn makes you look like an ass.
What's even funnier is that was his first post ever on the forum. Are we near a bridge because I think I smell an...

Old 02-20-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
Banned

Feb 2011
Saint Louis, MO

Quote:
Are you serious?

Um...where have you been?

He sees black bars.....because they are black bars.

Just becease YOU don't like black bars doesn't mean he'll feel the same.

And you never heard of liquids in a.....LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY?

And I didn't say burn in, it's IMAGE RETENTION (the difference is that the crystals will "reset")

Honestly, what's your beef with him? He just asked a question? WTF dude.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #10
Banned

Feb 2011
Saint Louis, MO

Quote:
Are you serious? What are you, 12? Why don't you read the whole post, newbie, instead of just scanning it and making dopey comments?

First, let me make this clear one more time for the cheap seats: this TV is for my kids, not me. I'm far less concerned about the image being stretched and distorted than I am over causing long-term damage to the display. My concern comes from the fact that the majority of the shows my kids watch are in 4:3 and I've seen the effects of screen burn-in personally on my old CRT RP HDTV display (long since retired) and I was under the impression that both plasma and LCD screens can suffer from the same issue. Apparently, it doesn't as noted by linkgx1 so I have nothing to be concerned about.

Second, I know exactly what the "black bars" are, junior, and so does every other regular on this forum. Using the term "black bars" is simply short-hand to quickly get the point across without going into a lengthy explanation. Just because this is my first LCD, it doesn't mean that it's my first or only HDTV. Again, read the whole post.

Third, and again for the cheap seats: this has nothing to do with "really, really weird taste" and everything to do with trying to protect my display from damage.

In the future, why don't you try to avoid being a complete douche when you post? It would be appreciated.

BTW, linkgx1, thanks for the tip. You cleared up the issue for me.
+1 For ya

Actually you brought up a good point that should be mentioned. You were on a CRT tv that got burned in. For people scared about plasmas burning in, theres' as much of a chance as CRT. I've had CRTs since I was born and nothing has burned in. However, in the past we've rarely had images on the screen for too long (no coaxial computer cables).

Anything with phosphors are proned to burning in because of the inherent technology.

Anything with electrons eventually deteriorate.

If you put a billboard in the sun too long, it will get sunbleached. Cover one eye for 5 minutes and you'll notice difference in colors. Go into a tanning bed too long, and you might end up like Final Destination 3. N

I was just thinking (in case you were considering the awesomeness of a plasma) a plasma would not work for your kids. I can only imagine your face if you see a permanent Netflix logo on your....$3,5000 Pioneer Kuro

You were right for asking the question because you want to protect your investment.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #11

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

The funny part is that my burn-in on the Panny was caused specifcally because I wanted to retain true aspect ratio on 4:3 programming. What happened was that the border on each side of the 4:3 image where the image ends and the black bars began turned into permanent faint lines running vertical from the top to the bottom of the screen. Wasn't noticeable when you were watching 4:3 but it stuck out like a sore thumb the minute the image went to 16:9. I think most of the problem people are seeing with burn-in on CRT is a relatively recent development due to the abundance of 16:9 televisions and the lack of 16:9 television programming outside of HD channels. Anyway, 6 months after the burn-in was noticed the IC circuit wnet bad on it and I upgraded.

But again, I'm really glad I asked you guys about this issue with the LCD. You've been a lot of help. I'm pretty knowledgable in the stuff I own but this is a new animal for me. Again, thanks a lot!

Last edited by Captainhawk1; 02-20-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #12

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd_nasty View Post

Oh, I'm sorry I was just really impressed/shocked with the topic. Cause, I mean, look where we are.

It's easy for me to be just "NAH" when my 40 year old aunt stretches her image, but seeing this from blu-ray aficionados is kinda of a shock to me. Sorry again if I handled this in a poor way, but was out of surprise.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #13

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry I was just really impressed/shocked with the topic. Cause, I mean, look where we are.

It's easy for me to be just "NAH" when my 40 year old aunt stretches her image, but seeing this from blu-ray aficionados is kinda of a shock to me. Sorry again if I handled this in a poor way, but was out of surprise.
You're still being a dope.

Where did I suggest that I preferred to stretch the picture to fill the screen or thought that it made the picture look better? The answer is: nowhere. If I can avoid it all costs, of course, I would. But again, this whole thread wasn't started suggesting that I thought that stretching a 4:3 image was the preferred method of viewing or that I thought it improved picture quality. Never once did the discussion have anything to do with the merits stretching a 4:3 picture. My concern was, as noted, regarding protecting my investment, which is something when you're 12 you don't have to worry about.

And what in the world are you talking about with "blu-ray aficianados?" Most of the people here are just average consumers trying to gain some insight into the various aspects of home theater from others like themselves who have experience in it. I know a lot about my Mitsubishi DLP because I made a point to find out about it after bought it. I don't know a whole lot about LCD because I never had one before Friday.

Quote:
It's easy for me to be just "NAH" when my 40 year old aunt stretches her image...
Tells me all I need to know. Maybe you should refrain from posting until you grow up a little and can at least fake it and pass yourself off as an adult.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Banned

Feb 2011
Saint Louis, MO

Quote:
The funny part is that my burn-in on the Panny was caused specifcally because I wanted to retain true aspect ratio on 4:3 programming. What happened was that the border on each side of the 4:3 image where the image ends and the black bars began turned into permanent faint lines running vertical from the top to the bottom of the screen. Wasn't noticeable when you were watching 4:3 but it stuck out like a sore thumb the minute the image went to 16:9. I think most of the problem people are seeing with burn-in on CRT is a realtively recent development due to the abundance of 16:9 televisions and the lack of 16:9 television programming outside of HD channels. Anyway 6 monthsafter the bur-in was noticedthe IC circuit wnet bad on it and I upgraded.

But again, I'm really glad I asked you guys about this issue with the LCD. You've been a lot of help. I'm pretty knowledgable in the stuff I own but this is a new animal for me. Agai, thanks a lot!
No problem dude.
Yeah, even "experts" don't know everything about the TVs because stuff alwasy changes.

But burn-in could be a scary prospect. It'd be even scarier if somone left a porno on pause for too long...
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #15

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post
No problem dude.
Yeah, even "experts" don't know everything about the TVs because stuff alwasy changes.

But burn-in could be a scary prospect. It'd be even scarier if somone left a porno on pause for too long...
Old 02-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #16

Feb 2008
MA

Quote:

Well, next time rather than being sorry, move on. If the topic seems dumb to you don't say anything. If you're going to make a post, give advice. Don't start insulting another viewing habits.

Sometimes the amount of threads on a single topic can get boring to me, like 24fps, and I only respond if the topic of 24fps is more advanced than "will 24fps work on my tv", or if the answer given is inaccurate. But even then I try to give an answer.

And this is blu-ray.com, not avsforum. You'll find there's more of a mix between advanced and beginner knowledge.

A 40 year old aunt? Are you rather young? I don't ask this to dismiss you... I ask because if you are just a pre-teen/teenager I'd be more likely to forget your immature, rude response than if you are an adult.

I'm thinking you are just a kid by your choice of words, and since you seem to be suggesting your 40 year aunt is too old to know better. Maybe I just took the aunt part wrong but it's almost like you're comparing her to my Noni (well Nona, but we used Noni as a term of endearment) who needed help to watch a vhs tape. Being 40 does not make one a luddite.

And I do not wish to insult you by any means, even though you behaved poorly. Others have done this enough, maybe too much... However, your second post trying to defend your original post is honestly unbecoming. You would have gained far more respect if you just said, "I was wrong for my behavior and I apologize."
Samsung PN-60E530
Samsung LN-52A650
Denon AVR-2310CI
Aperion Audio 4T (LF,RF) 5C (C) 5B (SL,SR SBL,SBR)
Aperion Audio Bravus 8D (Sub)
PS3 Slim (120GB) with Harmony PS3 Adapter
Harmony Touch
Displays Calibrated using Eye-One LT and HCFR

Last edited by SammyB; 02-21-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigtat77 View Post

Great post tigtat! Love it and you called it right. I guess some people should think before they open their traps.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S5100 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer HTP-071 Surround Sound System.
Xfinity HD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs