COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Stoker (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Blob (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Armored Attack! (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WWE: Best Pay-Per-View Matches 2011 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 03-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

Dec 2010
Default Evangelion 2.22

Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance Blu-ray

Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance Blu-ray Review

Getting pretty close to release for this. Stoked to finally have it in my collection.. hopefully it'll include some deets for part 3. Release Date!

man is it cheap too, this'll probably be the cheapest blu I've ever bought! Which is weird because usually the anime imports are amongst the most expensive.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 04-17-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #2

Dec 2009
Jacksonville

$19.99 price tag it seems. Really excited as well!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Power Member

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmattasy View Post
Stoked to finally have it in my collection.. hopefully it'll include some deets for part 3. Release Date!

man is it cheap too, this'll probably be the cheapest blu I've ever bought! Which is weird because usually the anime imports are amongst the most expensive.
Not even the Japanese theatrical release date for Evangelion 3.0 has been annouced yet, you're going to be waiting for quite a while...
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Svenge's Neon Genesis Evangelion Home Video Compendium
My Blu-ray Collection | My Anime DVD Collection | My Laserdisc Collection
My gear: LG 32LN5300 (LED TV) | Sony BDP-S360 (BD/DVD) | Pioneer CLD-D606 (LD)
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
I've gone into outer space to destroy another race.

Picked it up today...can't wait to watch it.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #5

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
Not even the Japanese theatrical release date for Evangelion 3.0 has been annouced yet, you're going to be waiting for quite a while...
Isn't it supossed to be released this year though? Since they said it was scheduled as 1 movie per year.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
Power Member

Jul 2009
Bayonne, NJ, USA

They haven't stuck to that schedule at all, 1.0 hit theaters in 2007

Sucks, but the only thing of 3.0 we have to look forward to is the small preview at the end.

I think the real question is will this next movie be the final, as originally planned with 3.0/4.0 being packed together like ep. 25/26 in End of Evangelion....or will they space it out.
Hello Everynyan! How are you, fine thank you.

Last edited by Chiyo_chichi; 03-29-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #7

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyo_chichi View Post
They haven't stuck to that schedule at all, 1.0 hit theaters in 2007

Sucks, but the only thing of 3.0 we have to look forward to is the small preview at the end.

I think the real question is will this next movie be the final, as originally planned with 3.0/4.0 being packed together like ep. 25/26 in End of Evangelion....or will they space it out.
Oh, sorry, haven't been up to date XD

And 2007? Wow, time goes by so fast >_>
Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Expert Member

Nov 2008

I picked up my copy today. The slip cover is terrible (Im not a fan of them anyway and dont understand why a whole thread exists for them). Its has an orange peel texture and was cut to big so its resting at a slant. I wish they would have stuck to the digipak style of the first release but oh well. The booklet it comes with is a bit more informative than 1.11's and the inner sleev artwork features the scribble design. The A/V quality is top notch so its all good in the end. The film itself is amazing and everything I wished the rebuild series to encompass when I initially read about it way back in 06. Fair warning, this film will make you go batty waiting for Q...and make sure to watch it through the credits.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #9

Mar 2011
Texas

Watched it last night. It was awesome! Threw up a review on it as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Evange...3/#UserReviews
Integra DTR-50.2
Polk LS90 Towers, CS350 Center, FXi A4 Surrounds
Epik Legend + JBL E250P Subwoofers
52" Samsung LN52B750 LCD Panel
Sony PS3 Slim 120 GB
ASUS EEE Box 1501
Universal Remote URC-R50
Bello AVSC-2055B Stand
Old 03-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
US

Evangelion 2.22 slip in and out:

The cover feels like an actual orange.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume11 View Post
I picked up my copy today. The slip cover is terrible (Im not a fan of them anyway and dont understand why a whole thread exists for them). Its has an orange peel texture and was cut to big so its resting at a slant. I wish they would have stuck to the digipak style of the first release but oh well. The booklet it comes with is a bit more informative than 1.11's and the inner sleev artwork features the scribble design. The A/V quality is top notch so its all good in the end. The film itself is amazing and everything I wished the rebuild series to encompass when I initially read about it way back in 06. Fair warning, this film will make you go batty waiting for Q...and make sure to watch it through the credits.
disagree, I like the branding/packaging. Simple but very effective IMO. Everything else though - I pretty much agree with you on.

On another note, why isn't there an option on the PS3 to pause the film and "set as background" any still? The film is gorgeous and there are about 10,000+ amazing desktop backgrounds (without some annoying logo on the bottom) ready to grace our PS3/computer screens.
Madden 2011: GoMikeVickGo, 75-36, 2% DNF, Avg Opponent Lvl = 5
Madden Leagues: Patriots (8-0), Eagles (12-0), Lions Fantasy (6-2)
Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
Expert Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by de Rookie View Post
Watched it last night. It was awesome! Threw up a review on it as well.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Evange...3/#UserReviews
As a die hard fan for over a decade + I pretty much agree with the majority of your review. IMO the A/V is 4.5 as well but I wouldn't compare it to a full cgi film, ala pixar, due to the historical and cultural differences between the approach of anime and western cgi. Its easily the best looking and sounding anime on blu that I have seen.

The film itself was a perfect 5. I loved 1.11 but it definitely felt safe and familiar to me. 2.22 was vastly different from the episodes its loosely comprised of and featured whole sections that were new or complete reinterpretations. Tbh, I felt like 2.22 was so different from the series that I expected that much of a departure from maybe the 3rd or final film and not the 2nd.

The prologue after the credits really shakes up thr series and forces you to question the entire meaning and placement of the rebuild series. The Quickening trailer was great as well.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #13

Apr 2010

Those pics of the case are nice. I'll be buying it next week.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

just finished watching it. the Dolby TrueHD 6.1 was amazing. very, very good use of all the channels during this movie. the animation and video are top notch. i don't know much about the story, meaning i don't understand how all of this came about but it's very entertaining. even though i've seen the first movie i still am at a loss for what got them to where they are.

not having been a long time fan i'm not sure what the religious overtones mean and still don't know what the 1st & 2nd impacts refer to. I don't even know where the "angels" come from or what they want. it would help my understanding if i know more about it.

having said that, it was still a very well done movie and as i'm an audio based man the lossless 6.1 was very well done. nice cliffhanger too! can't wait for #3!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #15

Mar 2011
Texas

Quote:
As a die hard fan for over a decade + I pretty much agree with the majority of your review. IMO the A/V is 4.5 as well but I wouldn't compare it to a full cgi film, ala pixar, due to the historical and cultural differences between the approach of anime and western cgi. Its easily the best looking and sounding anime on blu that I have seen.

The film itself was a perfect 5. I loved 1.11 but it definitely felt safe and familiar to me. 2.22 was vastly different from the episodes its loosely comprised of and featured whole sections that were new or complete reinterpretations. Tbh, I felt like 2.22 was so different from the series that I expected that much of a departure from maybe the 3rd or final film and not the 2nd.

The prologue after the credits really shakes up thr series and forces you to question the entire meaning and placement of the rebuild series. The Quickening trailer was great as well.
Yup. Although it is the best Anime video quality wise I have seen, I still gave it a 4.5 because it was lacking a bit of depth. AKIRA, even with it's age, gives me a better perception of depth when I watch it.

Definitely 5/5 for the movie. I was blown away. Can't wait until all of them are out
Integra DTR-50.2
Sony PS3 Slim 120 GB
ASUS EEE Box 1501
Universal Remote URC-R50
Bello AVSC-2055B Stand
Old 03-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
Expert Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Yup. Although it is the best Anime video quality wise I have seen, I still gave it a 4.5 because it was lacking a bit of depth. AKIRA, even with it's age, gives me a better perception of depth when I watch it.

Definitely 5/5 for the movie. I was blown away. Can't wait until all of them are out
Maybe we should spoiler tag this but to you and anyone else who saw the post credits ending what did you think?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

adding on to my question earlier - is there a way to set blu-ray stills from paused movies as desktop backgrounds on computers?
Madden 2011: GoMikeVickGo, 75-36, 2% DNF, Avg Opponent Lvl = 5
Madden Leagues: Patriots (8-0), Eagles (12-0), Lions Fantasy (6-2)
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #18

Mar 2011
Texas

Quote:
Maybe we should spoiler tag this but to you and anyone else who saw the post credits ending what did you think?
[Show spoiler]It really gets you amped up for the next one. The Lance of Longinus impaling Unit 01, Kaworu descending in Unit 06, the third impact being stopped by all of this. Makes you really wonder what direction they are going to go. Is Kaworu still going to be an Angel? Was it a selfish act of his to stop the third impact so he could ultimately be responsible for it, or maybe even have a bigger plan? Saying "this time" he would make Shinji happy, would partially lead me to believe so.

My friend and I just sat in awe of it all, wondering what could be coming next. I actually have a feeling Kaworu and Unit 06 are one in the same, an extension of each other, and that will be the basis of the next stories. Will the third impact happen? That's the up in the air part. Perhaps Shinji will become the world's savior. They seemed to spend a great deal of time showing and explaining about going too deep into an EVA unit, point of no return, etc. Maybe that was preparing us for Kaworu and Unit 06.

What's your take on it all?
Integra DTR-50.2
Sony PS3 Slim 120 GB
ASUS EEE Box 1501
Universal Remote URC-R50
Bello AVSC-2055B Stand
Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
Expert Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
[Show spoiler]It really gets you amped up for the next one. The Lance of Longinus impaling Unit 01, Kaworu descending in Unit 06, the third impact being stopped by all of this. Makes you really wonder what direction they are going to go. Is Kaworu still going to be an Angel? Was it a selfish act of his to stop the third impact so he could ultimately be responsible for it, or maybe even have a bigger plan? Saying "this time" he would make Shinji happy, would partially lead me to believe so.

My friend and I just sat in awe of it all, wondering what could be coming next. I actually have a feeling Kaworu and Unit 06 are one in the same, an extension of each other, and that will be the basis of the next stories. Will the third impact happen? That's the up in the air part. Perhaps Shinji will become the world's savior. They seemed to spend a great deal of time showing and explaining about going too deep into an EVA unit, point of no return, etc. Maybe that was preparing us for Kaworu and Unit 06.

What's your take on it all?
Before I comment I'd like to share this neat eva find.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmOI...e_gdata_player
Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #20

Mar 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMamba View Post
adding on to my question earlier - is there a way to set blu-ray stills from paused movies as desktop backgrounds on computers?
I would think you'd need a computer with a good AV capture card to accomplish this.
Integra DTR-50.2
Sony PS3 Slim 120 GB
ASUS EEE Box 1501
Universal Remote URC-R50
Bello AVSC-2055B Stand
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime