Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 03-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Feb 2011
Ontario, Canada
Default Yamaha RX-A2000 vs Anthem MRX300

Hello, i am debating between these 2 receivers. I need some help and opions.

I can get each of them for around the same price, so that is not an issue. I would be using it for a 7.2 setup for mostly Home Theatre. I would also be using separate amps to power the speakers, so wattage is not an issue.

Is there any major difference between the 2 that i should choose one more than the other?

The pros for the Yammy are:
7.2 (MRX doesn't have .2)
7 HDMI connections
Upgradeable to 9.2 (just in case)

Pros for MRX300:
Anthem!!
ARC

Are there any other differences or antyhing? I dont really know about video processing or anything like that. WOuld there be a massive difference between the 2?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post

I can get each of them for around the same price, so that is not an issue. I would be using it for a 7.2 setup for mostly Home Theatre. I would also be using separate amps to power the speakers, so wattage is not an issue.

Is there any major difference between the 2 that i should choose one more than the other?

7 HDMI connections

Pros for MRX300:
Anthem!!
ARC

Are there any other differences or antyhing? I dont really know about video processing or anything like that. WOuld there be a massive difference between the 2?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
I have been doing my research as well and have looked at Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Integra and Anthem. I have made my final decision on the Anthem MRX line. There are alot of nice receivers out there with all different options but the thing that attracted me with all the reading I have done was about ARC. Anthem took a different approach and focused on the best AQ possible. This is the same ARC found on their high end processors ($6,000) that have made them famous. To keep the MRX at a certain price point they don't have some of the bells and whistles that other receivers have. They just produce the best sound possible and this was quoted by many that have used MCACC, YPAO and Audyssey, even XT32. This in the end was my deciding factor and I believe is something we all strive for is SQ. As far as not being .2, that is something a y-adapter will take care of. As far as video processing, the Yamaha did not do as well in the analog scaling but are basicly the same in all other video tests. Here are the two reviews. I only use two HDMI inputs and having two extra is enough for me.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/a...deo-test-bench

http://www.hometheater.com/content/y...deo-test-bench
Equipment......Tube tv and Bose speakers.....gotta love it

Last edited by erict; 03-26-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:

7 HDMI connections

Pros for MRX300:
Anthem!!
ARC

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
What brand of speakers will you be using? The ARC that's in the receivers is not the same as the version that's in the Anthem processor's. The ARC software that's included in the processor is more advanced than the receivers but it has been said that the differences are small. You should take a trip to your local dealer so you can hear the differences between the two firsthand.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

Feb 2011
Prescott, AZ

IMHO, the scaling on my Integra DTR 40.2 looks pretty good and the sound quality is amazing. Just another thought..

Jeff
Integra DTR 40.2
Paradigm Monitor 9s
Paradigm LCR350
Rythmik FV15
Paradigm ADP 150 surrounds
Sony BDP S-590 Blu Ray player
Direct TV HDDVR
Sony 55"NX810 LCD/LED TV
Old 03-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
What brand of speakers will you be using? The ARC that's in the receivers is not the same as the version that's in the Anthem processor's. The ARC software that's included in the processor is more advanced than the receivers but it has been said that the differences are small. You should take a trip to your local dealer so you can hear the differences between the two firsthand.
I should have used the word close instead of the same
Old 03-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
7 Cities, VA

Go demo them and decide for yourself which you prefer. Reviewers and owners can tell you one is better than the other all day long, but only you can decide what sounds best to you. I've seen people prop up so many brands only to be disappointed when I go and check them out for myself. Then the very brand I had little enthusiasm for wins me over.

Everyone's taste is different, and every brand will give you different performance throughout their line. Finding the right brand and model for you will require that you spend some time demoing different receivers within in your budget.

After you find a couple of receivers that fit the bill sound wise then weigh out what features you want and need, and then make your decision based on this criteria. Also, be sure to demo receivers with the speakers you have or plan to acquire if at all possible. If this is not possible then try to demo with something similar within the brand.
106" Motorized 16x9 Screen - Optoma GT700 Projector - Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M Plasma 1080p(living room)
Panasonic PX75U 50" Plasma 768p(bedroom)
Pioneer SC-05/Crown XLS1000 Amp & Martin Logan Preface Left/Right, Fresco Center, Sunfire HRS-12 Sub, Harman Kardon HKTS 11 5.1 sub/satellites = 7.2(living room) Onkyo HT-RC180 & JBL CST55/Energy Act6 5.1(bedroom) PS3 60GB and Xbox 360(living room) PS3 40GB(bedroom) Harmony One remote(living room)
My blood runs Blu!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojack1976 View Post
Go demo them and decide for yourself which you prefer. Reviewers and owners can tell you one is better than the other all day long, but only you can decide what sounds best to you. I've seen people prop up so many brands only to be disappointed when I go and check them out for myself. Then the very brand I had little enthusiasm for wins me over.

Everyone's taste is different, and every brand will give you different performance throughout their line. Finding the right brand and model for you will require that you spend some time demoing different receivers within in your budget.

After you find a couple of receivers that fit the bill sound wise then weigh out what features you want and need, and then make your decision based on this criteria. Also, be sure to demo receivers with the speakers you have or plan to acquire if at all possible. If this is not possible then try to demo with something similar within the brand.

Very good advice But the OP seems to be locked in on either the Yamaha or Anthem and not asking what is the best receiver for x amount of dollars. 04rex, have you demoed either one?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
7 Cities, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Very good advice But the OP seems to be locked in on either the Yamaha or Anthem and not asking what is the best receiver for x amount of dollars. 04rex, have you demoed either one?
I don't know if he's set on just these two. If not then I think it will serve him well to check out various receivers. If he is locked into these two then most of the work is done. He just needs to demo them and compare. HT gave both perfect scores for performance and they bench roughly the same. He just needs to see which one is right for him.

I haven't heard either of these receivers, but I've heard the RX-A1000 which is very good sounding to my ears. The A2000 should be pretty similar with a little more power. I think either receiver will be excellent, but there's no need to go into it blindly if there's an opportunity to compare them firsthand.

I had my mind pretty set on a specific receiver, but ended up going with a different receiver after spending time demoing. I like my original choice, but I ended up with a better deal on my current receiver and I like the sound just as much. I even ended up with more features for my money.
106" Motorized 16x9 Screen - Optoma GT700 Projector - Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M Plasma 1080p(living room)
Pioneer SC-05/Crown XLS1000 Amp & Martin Logan Preface Left/Right, Fresco Center, Sunfire HRS-12 Sub, Harman Kardon HKTS 11 5.1 sub/satellites = 7.2(living room) Onkyo HT-RC180 & JBL CST55/Energy Act6 5.1(bedroom) PS3 60GB and Xbox 360(living room) PS3 40GB(bedroom) Harmony One remote(living room)
My blood runs Blu!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #9

Aug 2007
Huskerland

Quote:
ARC in the receivers is the exact same version as the processors (direct from an Anthem regional rep). They were going to dumb it down for the receiver line, but they realized it would cost them more money to do that then just include the same version as the Processors.

Now, the receivers don't have the dual DSP like the processors, so the processors will sound better. But ARC in both is exactly the same.

-K
Old 03-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbone57 View Post
ARC in the receivers is the exact same version as the processors (direct from an Anthem regional rep). They were going to dumb it down for the receiver line, but they realized it would cost them more money to do that then just include the same version as the Processors.

Now, the receivers don't have the dual DSP like the processors, so the processors will sound better. But ARC in both is exactly the same.

-K
If both receivers are similar in price and even if the Anthem is a bit more i would go with the MRX series .

I had a Yamaha with Ypoa for 7 years and ARC blows it out of the water plus the amplifier section is superior .
Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
7 Cities, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTplayers View Post
If both receivers are similar in price and even if the Anthem is a bit more i would go with the MRX series .

I had a Yamaha with Ypoa for 7 years and ARC blows it out of the water plus the amplifier section is superior .
Its ones thing to prefer ARC over YPAO...perfectly understandable, but the amp section is not superior. Look at the bench tests. At 8ohms the A2000 outputs 20watts/channel more than the MRX 700 with all channels driven. At 4ohms the A2000 puts out 70watts more. All of this is at .1% distortion. Just saying.

Again though, the OP should compare to see which he prefers. Power is not the end-all be-all especially since he's going to use an external amp. These receivers will have different sound characteristics and only his ears can say which is better for him.
My blood runs Blu!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #12

Feb 2008
New Jersey

Quote:

7 HDMI connections

Pros for MRX300:
Anthem!!
ARC

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Have you consider the denon 3311ci? Audyssey MultEQ XT works really good, I ilke better than the Ypao from yamaha.
* Samsung PN64D8000
* Denon AVR-3311CI and Emotiva XPA-3
* Sony PS3, Panasonic BMP-BDT110, Toshiba HD-A2.
* Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers & Center "Gloss Cherry".
* Surrounds FXi-A6; Back Surrounds Aperion Audio Bookshelf "Gloss Cherry".
* Subwoofers - AV123 MFW-15 (2)
* Power Conditioner - APC AV H10
* Logitech Harmony 650, Apple TV
Old 03-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:

-K
I was under the impression that the only difference between ARC in the MRX line and the processors is the the receivers correct from 20hz-5k and the processors correct from 20hz-20k. I would definitely love to have those dual DSP's but the receiver will have to do for the time being.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #14

Feb 2011
Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys, thanks for all your replies. I recently got Paradigm Studio Series
60s with a 590 and 1 sub 12 for now but i will get another.

I currently have a Yamaha HTR6190 which i think sounds really good.

I would be using separate amps to power all my speakers, so it comes down to everyhting else. The MRX300 has 4 HDMI connections, and with everything i need to connect, they are all taken up. So if i need to connect anything else, i am out of luck. With the Yamaha, i still have options.

However, as many have stated, it has ARC. Everybody says it is amazing and makes a big difference. I personally have not heard the difference when using ARC. I have heard the MRX line and they sound very good as well. I dont think they were ARC'd at the time.

If the MRX had more HDMI, i would probably go for that hands down. That's what is kind of stopping me and making me wonder. Will i need more HDMI inputs?

I wont technically need it until about September, so i have until then to decide. However, i like having everything planned out before hand.

Is there any word of Anthem coming out with a new version of the MRX line anytime soon?? Possibly with more HDMI connections and maybe even 7.2?

Once again, thanks guys!!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #15

Aug 2007
Huskerland

Quote:
Hey Guys, thanks for all your replies. I recently got Paradigm Studio Series
60s with a 590 and 1 sub 12 for now but i will get another.

I currently have a Yamaha HTR6190 which i think sounds really good.

I would be using separate amps to power all my speakers, so it comes down to everyhting else. The MRX300 has 4 HDMI connections, and with everything i need to connect, they are all taken up. So if i need to connect anything else, i am out of luck. With the Yamaha, i still have options.

However, as many have stated, it has ARC. Everybody says it is amazing and makes a big difference. I personally have not heard the difference when using ARC. I have heard the MRX line and they sound very good as well. I dont think they were ARC'd at the time.

If the MRX had more HDMI, i would probably go for that hands down. That's what is kind of stopping me and making me wonder. Will i need more HDMI inputs?

I wont technically need it until about September, so i have until then to decide. However, i like having everything planned out before hand.

Is there any word of Anthem coming out with a new version of the MRX line anytime soon?? Possibly with more HDMI connections and maybe even 7.2?

Once again, thanks guys!!
Nice speakers. While both receivers would be a nice upgrade to your Yamaha you have now, I would sacrifice a few features of the RXA-2000 and go with the MRX300 personally. The amps are really beefy and it just has a great sound. And ARC blows YPAO away.

I have owned an Integra DTR 8.3 receiver, Yamaha RXV-2500 receiver, and currently own an Integra DTC 9.8 pre-amp. I am a fan of Yamaha's nicer line of receivers and have been for some time, but I am wanting (dreaming) of upgrading to an Anthem AMV50v. I just like there sound the best. An Anthem with ARC beats an Integra with Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro pretty easily IMHO.

The RXA-2000 is a very nice and needed upgrade from there line the last few years, and sounds really good, but the Anthem just sounds better.

If you want more features, go with the Aventage (Yamaha). If you want the better sound, go with the Anthem.

-K
Old 03-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
7 Cities, VA

Man...September...well I don't know how often Anthem will update their line, but there will be a whole host of other options available from other manufacturers well before then. If I were you I would spend the next several months checking out what's available now and the newer models that are released during this period.

I would guess that Anthem will announce their next series of receivers over the summer if they plan on releasing new receivers around the same time of year as the current line. That's assuming that they will release yearly. They may not however. Companies like them and a few others tend to release every other year.

I also wouldn't get too caught up with .2 thing. Its a very unnecessary feature. All you need is a y-cable to additional subs. My receiver has a second sub pre-out, but I didn't bother to use it since I already had my two subs connected using a y-cable.
My blood runs Blu!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
7 Cities, VA

Quote:
Nice speakers. While both receivers would be a nice upgrade to your Yamaha you have now, I would sacrifice a few features of the RXA-2000 and go with the MRX300 personally. The amps are really beefy and it just has a great sound. And ARC blows YPAO away.

I have owned an Integra DTR 8.3 receiver, Yamaha RXV-2500 receiver, and currently own an Integra DTC 9.8 pre-amp. I am a fan of Yamaha's nicer line of receivers and have been for some time, but I am wanting (dreaming) of upgrading to an Anthem AMV50v. I just like there sound the best. An Anthem with ARC beats an Integra with Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro pretty easily IMHO.

The RXA-2000 is a very nice and needed upgrade from there line the last few years, and sounds really good, but the Anthem just sounds better.

If you want more features, go with the Aventage (Yamaha). If you want the better sound, go with the Anthem.

-K
No offense man, but you can't compare a Yamaha receiver that's over six years old to their current receivers. They will not sound alike. I've heard the A1000 myself and I own an 867, and I can say for a fact that they don't sound anything like older Yamaha offerings. I actually disliked past Yamaha receivers.

I've also elaborated on the suggestion that the Anthem has beefier amps which is simply not the case. The bench tests prove this. Is the overall construction of the unit better...possibly, but possibly not. The Aventage line has upgraded construction over the regular line of receivers.

And again...which one sounds better is purely an opinion which only the OP can decide. Obviously they are both great sounding receivers since HT gave both of them five stars for performance, but its still a up to the individual which one is best in the grand scheme of things.
My blood runs Blu!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:

-K
Quote:
I was under the impression that the only difference between ARC in the MRX line and the processors is the the receivers correct from 20hz-5k and the processors correct from 20hz-20k. I would definitely love to have those dual DSP's but the receiver will have to do for the time being.
How does the MRX 300/500/700 ARC implementation compare to D2v/AVM50v?

Nick @ Anthem elaborates:
MRX 300/500/700 DSP has around the same amount of number crunching ability as anything in the price range, which is around half as much as AVM/D prepros using ARC (and PBK for that matter), which have as much as pro systems in the five figures. This means that MRX 300/500/700 corrected response usually does not meet target response as closely as AVM/D, thought it's also usually not too far off.
The other difference is that correction range not only defaults to 5 kHz but cannot be made to go higher. Correction above 5 kHz is not normally recommended regardless.
Another difference not dependent on ARC is that MRX DSP uses crossover frequencies of 60, 80, 100, 120, and 150 whereas AVM/D allows 25-160 in 5 Hz steps. It relates because ARC selects the crossover frequencies based on in-room measured response.
The practical difference depends on the amount of correction the room speaker/combo needs, and this varies greatly. MRX-ARC still improves things regardless, using the same principles as the other ARC.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 AM   #19

Jul 2009
Vancouver Island Canada

I have had the RXA-2000 since last November and the machine rocks. The sounds are clean and detailed.

I work from home and it is nice to crank the tunes from my office using the DLNA networking from my computer. I experimented this last week with how loud it can go and got it to +5 (it's very loud) for about 7 mins - and it good. It was a bit bassey for the volume and if I could tweak it from down the street using the receiver manager software I am sure that i could clear that up. My speakers are only rated for 100w and I still really like them so down went the volume. Took a while for the ears to stop pounding and the dog was not too happy at that level.

The iTouch/iPhone App is decent and usable for being able to access the receiver and it's zones. You can also download the receiver manager and tweak everything that there is and save a backup of the receivers settings.

If you are interested in using a second set of front speakers for the presence you won't be disappoint! Just after I set up the presence speaker we watched Apocalypse-Now ; it sounded like the helicopters were taking off from the TV and passing over my head. I was impressed

Like LoJack1976 said - demo each for you will know what you like when you hear it. I can only give you my impressions of the machine and I have no complaints!
Sharp Aquos 52"
Oppo 83SE
Yahama RX-A2000
Martin Logan ElectrMotion ESL
Kef 3001 speakers & Kef KHT 3001 sub
Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #20

Mar 2011
Canada
Canada

The Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver is more fully featured. And it sounds good as well (basic legacy audio).

Anthem has ARC which is equivalent (sound wise) to the top tier Audyssey.

Best is to audition them both and also check their features list, plus their feels (GUI, remote, etc.).
Only in your Dreams...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers