Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
thaxphenomx thaxphenomx is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Chandler, AZ
32
Default thaxphenomx Home Theater Thread

I have completed my second version of my living room home theater build. The pictures from each version are in my gallery. Enjoy and please provide any feedback/suggestions.

Version 2 changes:
Replaced bulky TV stand with Salamander Synergy 237 Black/Black
Wall mounted TV with Sanus XF228
Ultralink MX-2 Speaker cables for front three speakers
APC-H15 Power Conditioner
Moved the subwoofer to the right side of the soundstage
Logitech Harmony One
Integrated Cable TV into HTPC via HD Homerun PRIME

Sony KDL 55HX800 LED TV
Anthem MRX 300 A/V Receiver
Polk Monitor 60 fronts
Polk CS10 center
Polk OWM3 rears
HSU VTF2-MK3 subwoofer on an Auralex Gramma
APC-H15 Power conditioner
PS3
HTPC with Media server in my office
Ultralink MX-2 speaker cables
Salamander Synergy 237 Black/Black
Sanus XF228

Future upgrades:
GIK Acoustic Panels
Aperion Verus Grand speakers
Emotiva UPA-1 x3
HSU VTF-15H (two would be awesome but WAF is low there)
TV: Sony 55HX800
Preamp: Anthem MRX 300
Speakers: Polk Monitor 60, CS10, OWM3
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2-MK3
Power Conditioner: APC H-15
Entertainments Stand: Salamander Synergy 237
Wall Mount: Sanus XF228

Last edited by thaxphenomx; 01-23-2012 at 02:41 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
lucv13 lucv13 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
lucv13's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
London ON Canada
159
266
3
12
Send a message via MSN to lucv13
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxphenomx View Post
I am not happy with the location of my rear surrounds currently. The house came pre-wired for two rear channels but they're too far away from the listening position and too high in my opinion. I eventually want to go 7.2.
Great looking set up, I don't think that the rears are too far away or too high, I would think that with the Anthem that the position of the rear speakers would be compensated for after using ARC...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
thaxphenomx thaxphenomx is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Chandler, AZ
32
Default

It's probably the speakers then. The surround sound just seems thin to me.
TV: Sony 55HX800
Preamp: Anthem MRX 300
Speakers: Polk Monitor 60, CS10, OWM3
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2-MK3
Power Conditioner: APC H-15
Entertainments Stand: Salamander Synergy 237
Wall Mount: Sanus XF228
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
thaxphenomx thaxphenomx is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Chandler, AZ
32
Default

What if I place two surrounds to the left and right of the couch and two directly behind the couch? How far away from the couch should the surrounds be?
TV: Sony 55HX800
Preamp: Anthem MRX 300
Speakers: Polk Monitor 60, CS10, OWM3
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2-MK3
Power Conditioner: APC H-15
Entertainments Stand: Salamander Synergy 237
Wall Mount: Sanus XF228
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
HAMP HAMP is offline
Banned
 
HAMP's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Michigan
13
272
1
Default

This is a nice layout, I really like how you have space behind the couch away from the wall.

To fix your surround sound, I would suggest you look into some bi/di-pole speakers.

Those type of speakers do some amazing work with audio. The way they are designed to throw the sound around you, really brings you into the movie you’re watching. They can cost a little bit more then direct radiating speakers, but well worth it
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Fors* Fors* is offline
Moderator
 
Fors*'s Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(
145
126
11
Default

I'll play devil's advocate here and say I'm not so sure bi/di-pole speakers will work well in your room. They rely upon reflections from the side and back walls to properly disperse the sound and to envelop the listener. It appears they would need to be placed a bit too far next to and behind the couch, which in turn would lose some of the reflection points necessary for the ambient sound to be heard as intended. My set-up is similar in that I lack a side wall and no back wall was close to where I sat. I had bipoles and they sounded weak due to the lack of the proper reflection points and positioning. For my money, direct radiating speakers have had a more pronounced effect in creating the surround sound I wanted to experience.

You could always try bi/di-poles and see if you like what you hear. I did but went back to direct radiating speakers. Just my 2 pennies!
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60

Last edited by Fors*; 12-01-2011 at 08:36 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
thaxphenomx thaxphenomx is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Chandler, AZ
32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fors* View Post
I'll play devil's advocate here and say I'm not so sure bi/di-pole speakers will work well in your room. They rely upon reflections from the side and back walls to properly disperse the sound and to envelop the listener. It appears they would need to be placed a bit too far next to and behind the couch, which in turn would lose some of the reflection points necessary for the ambient sound to be heard as intended. My set-up is similar in that I lack a side wall and no back wall was close to where I sat. I had bipoles and they sounded weak due to the lack of the proper reflection points and positioning. For my money, direct radiating speakers have had a more pronounced effect in creating the surround sound I wanted to experience.

You could always try bi/di-poles and see if you like what you hear. I did but went back to direct radiating speakers. Just my 2 pennies!
Yeah I agree, my room isn't ideal for bi/di-poles. The back wall is just too far from the couch for my liking and there's no side walls to reflect off of. The front stage overpowers the rears even with the MRX adjusting the sound in the back speakers. Like I said before, I'm thinking about doing four direct surround sound speakers around the couch. Can someone comment on that idea?
TV: Sony 55HX800
Preamp: Anthem MRX 300
Speakers: Polk Monitor 60, CS10, OWM3
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2-MK3
Power Conditioner: APC H-15
Entertainments Stand: Salamander Synergy 237
Wall Mount: Sanus XF228
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
bz1080p bz1080p is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
bz1080p's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Fort Thomas, KY
18
236
5
Default

Welcome to the HT galleries
TGIF too!
-Bill-
TV/Bluray Player Panasonic 65VT30 3-D,Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3-D
Receiver/Power Onkyo 3008 3-D, 5 x's Outlaw M200's
Speakers Axiom M 80 v3 front R & L, Axiom VP 180 v3 center, Axiom QS 8 v3 surrounds, Energy TakeSats Rear surrounds
Subs/Sub EQ SVS PC 13 Ultra x 2, Buttkicker LFE kit ,Audyssey XT32
Command Center Harmony One, Panamax 5300, 1550 cub ft.
“A sick mind is a terrible thing to waste.” Richard Corliss
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
18
187
1
3
8
Default

Looks good and welcome!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
thaxphenomx thaxphenomx is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Chandler, AZ
32
Default

Thanks guys. I look forward to building the perfect home theater. Hopefully you guys can help along the way
TV: Sony 55HX800
Preamp: Anthem MRX 300
Speakers: Polk Monitor 60, CS10, OWM3
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2-MK3
Power Conditioner: APC H-15
Entertainments Stand: Salamander Synergy 237
Wall Mount: Sanus XF228
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
144
317
293
62
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxphenomx View Post
Thanks guys. I look forward to building the perfect home theater. Hopefully you guys can help along the way
Did you say PERFECT ????? Boy.... are you in for a long hard (but fun ) ride....... I hope your wallet is ready
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #12
thaxphenomx thaxphenomx is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Chandler, AZ
32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Did you say PERFECT ????? Boy.... are you in for a long hard (but fun ) ride....... I hope your wallet is ready
I guess I shouldn't use the word 'perfect' so loosely with a hobby like this haha.
TV: Sony 55HX800
Preamp: Anthem MRX 300
Speakers: Polk Monitor 60, CS10, OWM3
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2-MK3
Power Conditioner: APC H-15
Entertainments Stand: Salamander Synergy 237
Wall Mount: Sanus XF228
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:38 AM   #13
Lopan Lopan is offline
Special Member
 
Lopan's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Planet Earth
9
417
7
5
Default

Nice theater set up. I like how your rears were already pre-wired in the walls. I wish I could do that in my place but I'm just renting. That medi center looks kinda cool, how much for one of those and do you have to store all you Blus into that like a disk changer. I have no idea what a HTPC does or how it works.
Jar Jar Binks is so underatted
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
DangeRuss DangeRuss is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
DangeRuss's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
144
317
293
62
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxphenomx View Post
I guess I shouldn't use the word 'perfect' so loosely with a hobby like this haha.
Good morning

Yeah ....... "Perfect" is a strong word but, it shows you have the same affliction as most of us here. It's called upgraditis and I'm afraid it can be terminal . Striving to get the best system one can (within their budget) is a never-ending journey ..... Lucky for you.. you've found a support group

Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
thaxphenomx thaxphenomx is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Chandler, AZ
32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopan View Post
Nice theater set up. I like how your rears were already pre-wired in the walls. I wish I could do that in my place but I'm just renting. That medi center looks kinda cool, how much for one of those and do you have to store all you Blus into that like a disk changer. I have no idea what a HTPC does or how it works.
Thanks. An HTPC is a Home Theater Personal Computer. I built that one myself and it cost about 600. I have all of my movies stored on a server and the HTPC streams the movies
TV: Sony 55HX800
Preamp: Anthem MRX 300
Speakers: Polk Monitor 60, CS10, OWM3
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2-MK3
Power Conditioner: APC H-15
Entertainments Stand: Salamander Synergy 237
Wall Mount: Sanus XF228
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
callas01 callas01 is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
callas01's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Riverside, CA
39
219
47
Default

I love that media server... I can't stream at my house, I live in the hills and we don't have high speed internet at home... but the way you have that is awesome. My buddy does that with his mac mini and music setup. Ive been jealous of his 2-ch setup for some time.

I think if you got a second VTF2.3(or 2.4 now) that it would be better then one vtf15h.

with the ascend upgrades, are you going to go with the NrT tweeter or the ribbon? Looks like youre setting a really nice setup. I like all my components on one unit as well. my pics need to be updated again, but you can get a general idea of what Im doing looking at my gallery.
Video: Panasonic 55" P55ST50, Oppo BDP-103
Amplification: Integra DTR-40.2, Naim Nait XS-2 Integrated Amp
2-CH: Jolida FX Tube DAC, MacBook Pro, Audirvana Music Software
Speakers: Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210 C, DM 2/6
Subwoofer:
Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Auralex Subriser
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
thaxphenomx thaxphenomx is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Chandler, AZ
32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I love that media server... I can't stream at my house, I live in the hills and we don't have high speed internet at home... but the way you have that is awesome. My buddy does that with his mac mini and music setup. Ive been jealous of his 2-ch setup for some time.

I think if you got a second VTF2.3(or 2.4 now) that it would be better then one vtf15h.

with the ascend upgrades, are you going to go with the NrT tweeter or the ribbon? Looks like youre setting a really nice setup. I like all my components on one unit as well. my pics need to be updated again, but you can get a general idea of what Im doing looking at my gallery.
You don't need high speed internet to stream from your own server, just a Gigabit router. When I bought my house it came pre-wired with a network connection to each room so I'm able to plug into my router from any room and stream from my server.

Eventually the goal is to have two VTF-15H's

I spoke with Dave from Ascend and he thinks I should just stick with the NrT tweeter because of how I use the speakers (80% movies, 20% music which is mostly hip/hop, rock, alternative). The RAAL tweeter is quite an expensive upgrade and I would only notice an improvement with classical and jazz music. If I had money to just throw away I would get the RAAL.

Thanks for your comments!

I made some upgrades this week so when I get a chance to take more pictures I'll update.
TV: Sony 55HX800
Preamp: Anthem MRX 300
Speakers: Polk Monitor 60, CS10, OWM3
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2-MK3
Power Conditioner: APC H-15
Entertainments Stand: Salamander Synergy 237
Wall Mount: Sanus XF228
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #18
Lopan Lopan is offline
Special Member
 
Lopan's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Planet Earth
9
417
7
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxphenomx View Post
Thanks. An HTPC is a Home Theater Personal Computer. I built that one myself and it cost about 600. I have all of my movies stored on a server and the HTPC streams the movies
Ok, so does that mean your movies are all digital downloads, or are they in a player? And since it's streaming, does it loose any video and audio quality? Is it still lossless audio?
Jar Jar Binks is so underatted
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 AM   #19
thaxphenomx thaxphenomx is offline
Member
 
Oct 2011
Chandler, AZ
32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopan View Post
Ok, so does that mean your movies are all digital downloads, or are they in a player? And since it's streaming, does it loose any video and audio quality? Is it still lossless audio?
No I own all the movies, I just create MKV's from them and store them on hard drives. There is no loss of video or audio quality because I'm streaming over Gigabit LAN which is plenty for 1080p. Yes, the audio is lossless.
TV: Sony 55HX800
Preamp: Anthem MRX 300
Speakers: Polk Monitor 60, CS10, OWM3
Subwoofer: HSU VTF2-MK3
Power Conditioner: APC H-15
Entertainments Stand: Salamander Synergy 237
Wall Mount: Sanus XF228
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
Lopan Lopan is offline
Special Member
 
Lopan's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Planet Earth
9
417
7
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxphenomx View Post
No I own all the movies, I just create MKV's from them and store them on hard drives. There is no loss of video or audio quality because I'm streaming over Gigabit LAN which is plenty for 1080p. Yes, the audio is lossless.
Ok thanks, I will have to do more research on this if it's something I want to do. You recommend any websites or resources to look up for more information? thanks.
Jar Jar Binks is so underatted
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 AM.