Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit $6.00 (91% sold out)
Now: Silver Linings Playbook $6.00 (32 mins left)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
2 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.00
1 hr ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$15.49
3 hrs ago
21 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$6.00
1 hr ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.49
3 hrs ago
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Blu-ray)
$6.96
2 hrs ago
Noah (Blu-ray)
$9.96
2 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
18 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Blu-ray)
$6.00
1 hr ago
Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
20 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Jul 2010
Default Best Picture Quality???

Hey guys,

I've been using my ps3 to wacth BDs. I like it just fine, but I am buggin to buy something and I don't have the patience or cash right now to start thinking about new speakers or amps (Just upgraded from a Yamaha 467 to 667 so that's cool enough right now) - So I have decided to purchase a new BD player... My question is, for right around $200.00 (can be a bit higher) what is going to be my best choice.. I've done my research, of course, but you guys have been at this a lot longer than I have!

Thanks in advance!

--- Mainly looking for pic/audio quality and streaming... couldn't care less about load times or 3d or anything like that
Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #2

Feb 2009
Belgium

Best picture quality for blu-ray?
As long as it's connected through HDMI all players are practically identical (providing you've got all the 'picture enhancement' crap turned off).
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #3

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xit2050 View Post
As long as it's connected through HDMI all players are practically identical (providing you've got all the 'picture enhancement' crap turned off).
Ha! Ya, that title should mos def be something else, but hey, it's 0422 and I'm sleepy!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

I think you're good w/ the PS3, honestly.
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Epik Empire
***NO MAIN DISPLAY?*** - Emotiva XPA-3
Pioneer Elite VSX-03 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790
Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

I think you are ok with the PS3

I have a Sony 360 and my brother as a PS3 with the same TV as me and really I can't see that my Sony 360 does offer a much better quality then the PS3. Like others mention if you have HDMI then it won't change much on the picture quality.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

Mar 2011
Default Nothing like Pioneer... so far

... Just that.. Even when I'm having some problems now, I go for Pioneer...

JL
Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #7

Jul 2010

Right on, I'm just itching to spend about 200 bucks on something for my setup... Its a hard amount, cause I've already got everything in that price range... I guess I could just start saving and look ahead to those new speakers... Saving sucks!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Dayton,Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoUrden View Post
Right on, I'm just itching to spend about 200 bucks on something for my setup...

Do you have a Harmony remote? If not, that would be on the top of my list, preferably the One.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Special Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
identical????? I don't think so! I have the ps3 and a sony 470 3d blu ray player and my pioneer 51d decimates them both put together. I'm sure the new Oppo 3d player will decimate my pioneer player.
I see you!!!!!

Last edited by swifty7; 03-30-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #10

Feb 2011

I tried to do a similar search about htpc w/ AMD 5000 cards for bitstreaming true-hd/dtsma vs Bluray players (especially the oppo) and I have found a lot of mixed reviews. From what i gathered, it just seems the Oppo is wonderful at providing a lot of support for discs, and codecs, excellent dvd up conversion (important on much larger screens like projectors) but other than that, it seems like another solid blu-ray player with a few quirks like a Toroidal Power Supply but that may be a huge plus/huge noticeable difference on certain sized televisions. I am really interested in what others have to say as I don't know what I am talking about.

Last edited by e2g; 03-30-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 AM   #11

Feb 2009
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
identical????? I don't think so! I have the ps3 and and a sony 470 3d blu ray player and my pioneer 51d decimates them both put together. I'm sure the new Oppo 3d player will decimate my pioneer player.
Sure it does... just like a $100 HMDI Monster Cable gives a far better picture than a $10 no name HDMI cable... right?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
Power Member

Jun 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Sure it does... just like a $100 HMDI Monster Cable gives a far better picture than a $10 no name HDMI cable... right?
Uhhhh, not so much. Hdmi is hdmi.
Dodgers, Lakers, Packers, and F1 fan.

PSN: Dodger_Blue311
Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Power Member

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

I have a PS3 and a Sony BDP-S780. In the past I have owned several stand alone BD players, including Panasonic. I love my PS3, but to me, the stand alone players output better PQ. I have now the new Sony S780 which has Super Bit mapping and the PQ is out of this world, Sorry, but the PS3 is a great all around machine but it does not have better PQ than some stand alone players, specially the S780 and the Panny players which I have owned in the past......
Old 03-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #14
Special Member

Sep 2007

Quote:
you're wrong in this case. I guess the pic quality between a no name $70 blu-ray player and the latest Oppo looks the same to you....right?
I see you!!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

The PS3 outputs an accurate picture. If your player "enhances" the video I don't consider that a good thing.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

I think it depends on your eyes and what you are looking for in PQ. I've had the Oppo BDP-83 for nearly two years and also own a Sony 550 and have watched blu-rays on a PS3. I bought and love the Oppo because it delivers PQ that is so naturally film-like it isn't funny. Having been a professional photographer for 35 years it was easy to see that film-like look in the Oppo's presentation. Both the 550 and PS3 look great but the big difference between them and the Oppo is that their PQ has a more pronounced digital look to it. This is easy for me to see since after shooting film for so long and then switching to digital cameras (I have used both top of the line Nikon and Canon DSLRs). It's a more artificial looking PQ that mimics the pics I shoot with still cameras which look static and flat (I regularly have to punch the color saturation and contrast up in Photoshop on most assignments I shoot) because the pixel size is exactly the same all of the time. The millions of silver halide crystals in film create a never repeatable pattern in the images and give them that more natural, textural look. That's why I went with the Oppo in my dedicated HT. Still use the Sony 550 in my bedroom and have no problems with it at all.
EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
Old 03-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
Power Member

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

The whole thing is a matter of opinion and everyone is entitled to one. Accurate PQ, enchanced PQ, who cares, what matters is what your eyes are telling you and what you preffered.....

Peace!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

er, what is the mechanism by which the Oppo could produce more "film-like PQ" from a heavily compressed video source?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #19

Feb 2009
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
you're wrong in this case. I guess the pic quality between a no name $70 blu-ray player and the latest Oppo looks the same to you....right?
For a blu-ray disc, all the image 'enhancers' in the player turned off and connected through HDMI? Definitely.
Do a blind test : connect both players to identical screens, disable all picture enhancement settings, output 1080p24, connect both through HDMI, play the same blu-ray... then tell me you saw a difference and explain how the 0s and 1s on the disc show differently on the screen when the HDMI does nothing else than simply pass through those 0s and 1s (remember, all 'enhancers' in the player turned off, no processing taking place).
Things change when we're talking about dvd upscaling, sound quality output, build quality, load times,...
Old 03-31-2011, 04:47 PM   #20
Expert Member

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
er, what is the mechanism by which the Oppo could produce more "film-like PQ" from a heavily compressed video source?
to be honest, I can't tell you. I'm no technophile, to be sure. I'm sure a lot has to do with how you have your system tailored to reproduce blu-rays. I think a lot does depend on the source material. When you shoot stills under crappy conditions it the same with video PQ: garbage in, garbage out. You can only do so much to correct this on a computer. The same goes for blu-ray. That's why, say any animated film will always look better than, say Black Swan. I do think that depending on what type of video processing is in a player and how it's implemented can have an effect on the PQ you get. I've had all three players hooked up to my ISF calibrated 65" Panasonic plasma with video settings the same and in my dedicated HT that's what I see. That's all that matters, I suppose. Just passing on my opinion.
EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders