COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Hercules (Blu-ray)
$19.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Honeymooners:
$62.91

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-
Default The Ten Commandments (1923): OFFICIAL THREAD

so hard to find anyone talking about this release inside the super Ten Commandments blu-ray boxset.
It is De Mille's earlier silent version, and is presented in 1080p on a bd disc.
(none of the reviews I've seen say much of anything about it even though it is the main attraction of the boxset)
I really think it deserves its own thread so people that are interested can easily find out what people think of the transfer.
I'll be getting my copy today and will be checking it out asap, but if you've already seen it what are your thoughts?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ten...ts_(1923_film)
http://silent-volume.blogspot.com/20...ents-1923.html

Last edited by Arkadin; 03-29-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #2

Oct 2008

I'm curious about this too. I've taken an interest in films of this era recently. I'm a little surprised there was no mention of this feature on the Blu-ray.com review.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

yeah I've read numerous online reviews of the boxset and it is basically ignored completely like it doesn't exist.
imo it's a major part of this release assuming it looks somewhat respectable.
I have no idea how it turned out because no-one has mentioned the PQ quality.

Last edited by Arkadin; 03-29-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

I bought the 50th anniversary edition DVD 5 years ago, which has both the silent and the remake on 3 discs, which was very reasonably priced, but the only way to get the silent version on BD is to shell out for a 6 disc oversized version? Not a fan of that... and it's unlikely to be released separately.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

I wish it was getting a single release as well. I am not interested in the box set, I will only get the single disc release but I would like to add this 1923 version to my collection.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

Last edited by P@t_Mtl; 03-29-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

well I just got home with my super box, and am actually pretty stunned at everything inside.
This piece is absolutely incredible, and imo with all the extras is perhaps the most impressive blu-ray collectable package yet.
hopefully I'll be able to watch some of the 1923 film very soon and post some impressions.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
well I just got home with my box set, and honestly I would highly recommend getting it.
This piece is absolutely incredible, and imo with all the extras is perhaps the most impressive blu-ray package yet.
hopefully I'll be able to watch some of the 1923 film very soon and post some impressions.
i heard that the disc's are hard to get out of the "Commandment" cases. (there's a risk of cracking I've read)
Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009

I'm still holding out. I want a 3-disc version... not the 6, not the 2, not the trinkets and swag.

If it turns out that isn't to be, I'm sure this 6-disc set will get cheap sometime in the next 6-12 months. I'll grab it then and put together my own 3-disc set.

Definitely looking forward to any reviews/opinions of the 1923 version, though, as it's the only thing keeping me from caving and buying the 2-discer.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
i heard that the disc's are hard to get out of the "Commandment" cases. (there's a risk of cracking I've read)
yes VERY hard to get out.
it's the plastic flipper--the 1923 version is on the other side, and you think you are going to break it trying to get it to flip over.
there is a hub on the plastic that goes through the center of the flipper and that is where the issue is.
it's almost like the hub is glued to the center of the spindle.
but I finally got it to pop loose.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
yes VERY hard to get out.
it's the plastic flipper--the 1923 version is on the other side, and you think you are going to break it trying to get it to flip over.
there is a hub on the plastic that goes through the center of the flipper and that is where the issue is.
it's almost like the hub is glued to the center of the spindle.
but I finally got it to pop loose.
sounds like you might want invest in couple generic cases to put the blu discs in.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

lol.
probably won't be putting all the discs back in the tablets.
but I did move the dvds to the other side of the flippers so I won't have to ever flip them again.
issue solved.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
I wish it was getting a single release as well. I am not interested in the box set, I will only get the single disc release but I would like to add this 1923 version to my collection.
If you get a single disc release you'll be very disappointed - the movie is spread out over 2 discs, you get the Intermission at the end of the first disc.

I'll bet Paramount releases the 1923 version in a separate release down the road, or bundles it with a 3 disc version for both movies.

Ark, those cases sound really annoying. I hated how the Back to the Future was bundled, and did manage to break off one of the holders trying to get the disc out.

Just the 2 disc version for me, even though I'd like to get the silent version. Gone With the Wind is the only big boxset I went for. I spent a few minutes looking at the book & trinkets and never bothered to look at them again. The boxset takes up too much space on my shelves, actually I have it listed on Amazon marketplace. Hope it sells, the single disc version is under $10 now.
When you boil it all down, what does a man really need? Just a smoke and a cup of coffee. - Johnny Guitar

Last edited by The Duke; 03-29-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

It will be interesting to see if Paramount ever does release the 1923 version as a single blu-ray.
Given how few older films they have even released on blu-ray I just don't see it happening personally.
the box set is beyond amazing--ya'll need to just bite the bullet imo.
as for this film--I have watched a bit, but need to watch a little more before I offer my opinion of the PQ.
most likely I will be breaking out my dvd copy to compare.
that's really the only way I know to really get a good idea of how worthwhile the upgrade is, as I feel confident there was no further restoration done beyond what was originally done for the super dvd a few years back.

Last edited by Arkadin; 03-29-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
If you get a single disc release you'll be very disappointed - the movie is spread out over 2 discs, you get the Intermission at the end of the first disc.
That was just my mistake, it's the two discs version
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #15

Apr 2010

I'll make the assumption that it will eventually be in a 3-disc release within a year. Just like what happend with Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

so silentblu--did you get the box set?
I was wondering what your thoughts were on this bd.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
as for this film--I have watched a bit, but need to watch a little more before I offer my opinion of the PQ.
most likely I will be breaking out my dvd copy to compare.
that's really the only way I know to really get a good idea of how worthwhile the upgrade is, as I feel confident there was no further restoration done beyond what was originally done for the super dvd a few years back.
Well, look forward to your impressions of the 1923 version, strange none of the reviewers have even bothered to mention it.
When you boil it all down, what does a man really need? Just a smoke and a cup of coffee. - Johnny Guitar
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
My parents got the just disc release (no box set) from Amazon.

Got to say the PQ is really really good for a film this old.
[Home Theater Setup

TV: Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
Receiver: Denon 1712 *new*
Front Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's
Center: Polk CS10 *new*
Surrounds: Yamaha NX-220P
Sub: SVS SB-1000 *new*
Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

well like I said I've only watched like 30 minutes, but so far I can offer a few things. The thing is I just have no idea how good this could look so I'm really not sure how good this upgrade really is. I've never even seen this silent version because I never opened my super dvd set once I found out it was coming to blu-ray.
the sound:
EDIT: The sound may be lossless after all.
(I had a problem with my player settings and so am checking this again).
the sound is coming out of my left and right channels, but I haven't determined if it is stereo or not.
I do know one thing--the soundtrack appears to be only organ, and as such is kinda tough to take after a while.
at least for me it is. there's just so may variations of solo organ that one can do, and the film is over 2 hours long.
I have no idea what the original soundtrack was like, so I don't know if this soundtrack is the one that accompanied the film originally or if it is completely new. Hopefully someone else will know the answer to this.
picture quality:
the main thing that sticks out PQwise is how stable the image is. It is rock solid with little to no flickering of any kind. or any other type of image distorting modulations that one might notice while watching a film of this vintage. I certainly get the sense that I am watching a 1080p presentation, but the PQ certainly is not as good as the best of the silents released on blu so far--like the phenomenal "City Girl".
then again, I didn't expect it to look that good.
Closeups certainly look the best as far as overall clarity of image, while medium and distance shots definitely show various degrees of softness and often exhibit a general unfocused appearance. Contrast seems fairly strong, but there is a lot of over-brightness--for lack of a better descriptor-- to most of the facial images.
Overall clarity of image is good imo.
Overall, I have been generally satisfied with what I've seen so far.

Last edited by Arkadin; 03-30-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #20

Apr 2010

Quote:
so silentblu--did you get the box set?
I was wondering what your thoughts were on this bd.

No. That's why I mentioned hopefully seeing a 3 disc release. I was also waiting to hear some more about the release.

Quote:
well like I said I've only watched like 30 minutes, but so far I can offer a few things. The thing is I just have no idea how good this could look so I'm really not sure how good this upgrade really is. I've never even seen this silent version because I never opened my super dvd set once I found out it was coming to blu-ray.
the sound: ok first of all the sound is not lossless unless it is pcm.
I am sending the audio via bitstream to my receiver and the hd light does not light up.
it still could be hd audio though because the light doesn't light up if the audio is uncompressed pcm.
I'm going to assume the audio is DD 2.0 MONO or perhaps stereo.
the sound is coming out of my left and right channels, but I haven't determined if it is stereo or not.
I do know one thing--the soundtrack appears to be only organ, and as such is kinda tough to take after a while.
at least for me it is. there's just so may variations of solo organ that one can do, and the film is over 2 hours long.
I have no idea what the original soundtrack was like, so I don't know if this soundtrack is the one that accompanied the film originally or if it is completely new. Hopefully someone else will know the answer to this.
picture quality:
the main thing that sticks out PQwise is how stable the image is. It is rock solid with little to no flickering of any kind. or any other type of image distorting modulations that one might notice while watching a film of this vintage. I certainly get the sense that I am watching a 1080p presentation, but the PQ certainly is not as good as the best of the silents released on blu so far--like the phenomenal "City Girl".
then again, I didn't expect it to look that good.
Closeups certainly look the best as far as overall clarity of image, while medium and distance shots definitely show various degrees of softness and often exhibit a general unfocused appearance. Contrast seems fairly strong, but there is a lot of over-brightness--for lack of a better descriptor-- to most of the facial images.
Overall clarity of image is good imo.
Overall, I have been generally satisfied with what I've seen so far.

Who is the score by? I know the DVD release and previous ones had the organ score from Gaylord Carter. I read that is might have a new score, but it is disappointing if it is just another organ score.

So are the color scenes just extras? I know they should be included in the actual film, but sounds like they aren't. How do they look in HD?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America