Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC
Default Blu ray resolution and 4K or 8K transfers

Being in this site for a long time I should know better so please forgive my ignorance. Why do Blu ray's taken from a 4 or 8K master look better than say taking it from a 2K one, when the max resolution of a Blu ray is 1920 x 1080?

PS: Mods feel free to move this post if it should be in another area.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
Being in this site for a long time I should know better so please forgive my ignorance. Why do Blu ray's taken from a 4 or 8K master look better than say taking it from a 2K one, when the max resolution of a Blu ray is 1920 x 1080?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist...mpling_theorem

basically, to accurately convert analog to digital you need to sample at at least twice the frequency of your signal.

Last edited by 42041; 03-31-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist...mpling_theorem

basically, to accurately convert analog to digital you need to sample at at least twice the frequency of your signal.
For once I wish I had taken advanced algebra.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:

You can really tell whether a Blu-ray is sourced from a 2K or 4K source? Just curious.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 03-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickFan View Post
You can really tell whether a Blu-ray is sourced from a 2K or 4K source? Just curious.
No I can't but almost every one on the forum will agree with me the IMAX sequences in The Dark Knight look better than than the ones shot on regular film stock, and Baraka is one of the best looking Blu ray's out, it was the first Blu ray to be sourced from an 8k negative.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Those were also shot on large stock film, I think the difference in quality has more to do with that than anything else.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
No I can't but almost every one on the forum will agree with me the IMAX sequences in The Dark Knight look better than than the ones shot on regular film stock, and Baraka is one of the best looking Blu ray's out, it was the first Blu ray to be sourced from an 8k negative.
Baraka is a 70mm film, and obviously the Dark Knight IMAX sequences are IMAX film. The big negative has more to do with the quality than the scan resolution (bigger film = finer grain, more detail).
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/imax-film.gif
Old 03-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
I rarely know what a blu-ray is sourced from. Criterion does give you such information and IMO the 4K transfers they've put out have a distinct quality advantage, though that's also indicative of better care all around.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Rather easily if you watch 2K vs 4K sourced Blu-ray samples in a split screen or side-by-side evaluation while seated at the proper viewing distanceÖ.with the caveat that the principal photography wasnít out-of-focus or moderately or heavily filtered in-camera to begin with.

As those with discerning eyes will notice (even on a typical consumer-sized properly calibrated HD flat panel) that a 4K sourced Blu-ray will be sharper than a 2K sourced Blu-ray (unless the later is cropped to compensate for going 2048 ->1920). The reason being that downsampling digital filters are based on algorithms and those filters donít do that great with tiny fractions (ratios, i.e. 2048 ->1920). Experience has shown that the best solution is to 4K scan and then down-rez directly to Blu-Ray resolution (1920) as the algorithms cope much better that way (the picture isnít as fuzzy as going 2048 ->1920).

Also, the digital tools for color correction work much better (i.e. are more precise) at 4K rather than with 2K proxies, something which has an additive transferable visual effect downstream to the HD masters and Blu-ray.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
Old 04-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
For once I wish I had taken advanced algebra.
You don't really need advanced algebra for the why. In the end the video gets compressed the hell out of it and so more data helps determine how to compress it better (i.e. get rid of the less important data while keeping the more important data).

Let me give a couple of simple examples.

1) is something that looks like "stairs" in 2k stairs or a diagonal line that was limited by resolution. If it was a diagonal line (or smaller steps in the stairs) then it is a lot less important to keep the steps as they are when compressing, on the other hand if they are the same at 4k then they are actual steps and more important to keep them correct.

2) Now let's assume there is a place where there is a straight line between two colours. since a block is an array of 8x8 pixels

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

if @ 4k you get
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIthen it is better to treat it as 8 x red & 6 x blue and compress it as a red block
i.e.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
and it is not any more incorrect then the 2k scan

but if it is

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIthen it is better to treat it as 6 x red & 8 x blue and compress it as a blue block on the left

i.e.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Now imagine if all you had was the 2k scan, how will you determine if it is better to go with a red block or a blue one?

And in reality it gets more complicated, such as how does the scanner work (right in the example above it assumed the combined pixel got one of the colours, but they could have ended up magenta or something.

Will the result necessarily be different? better? No, but chances are that it will be.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology