COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Royal Tenenbaums (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$19.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
Old 04-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #1

Mar 2011
Default Lg bd630

Any one have this player? I purchased it a couple of days ago and it seems pretty decent. It seems like an entry level model, but good enough for what I need. The BD630 plays back several file formats and has a few network services, Netflix, Vudu, YouTube and CinemaNow. I don't think you can add more services.

I haven't had any issues and there was a firmware update right out of the box.

Curious if anyone else has tried this?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #2

Apr 2011

Sorry to hi-jack...but I guess new members aren't allowed to start threads for some reason.

So, we finally bought a house after just having a baby and there's no drop near our television area to connect my player to my network in order to update, take advantage of BD-Live and other things.

Outside of calling an electrician to come and fish some cable I was thinking about some other methods.

What about using a laptop and it's wireless capabilities?

Or, my Android phone and it's ability to act as a 3G hotspot.

There's got to be a solution in there somewhere! I'm just not bright enough to figure it out.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

I don't understand what 'no drop' means? If you don't have a connection near your TV you can set up a wireless router network and plug the player into that with an ethernet cable. My brother told me how to do it the other day but I glazed over as most of it went over my head. You'd have your normal broadband router linked up to another wireless router behind your television.

If you don't have a connection at all you can download the update onto a stick and upgrade your player that way. But that will only work for upgrades.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #4

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicsnut View Post
Sorry to hi-jack...but I guess new members aren't allowed to start threads for some reason.

So, we finally bought a house after just having a baby and there's no drop near our television area to connect my player to my network in order to update, take advantage of BD-Live and other things.

Outside of calling an electrician to come and fish some cable I was thinking about some other methods.

What about using a laptop and it's wireless capabilities?

Or, my Android phone and it's ability to act as a 3G hotspot.

There's got to be a solution in there somewhere! I'm just not bright enough to figure it out.
I think you could get something like this. This one seems expensive, but there are other cheaper ones available.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WET610N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B001QVQ7JU/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

Also, I am guessing not many have tried the LG BD630. I've been happy with it even though it's lacking a few features, but what it does do (Netflix, Vudu, BluRay, DVD and file playback) it does very well.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Special Member

Jun 2007
Metro Detroit PSN:cdot2four

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziltink View Post
I think you could get something like this. This one seems expensive, but there are other cheaper ones available.

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WET610N-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B001QVQ7JU/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

Also, I am guessing not many have tried the LG BD630. I've been happy with it even though it's lacking a few features, but what it does do (Netflix, Vudu, BluRay, DVD and file playback) it does very well.
Yeah I have a LG player its solid. Haven't really had that many issues other than some netflix freezing that has just started but it only seems with season 7 of that 70's show?? I love Vudu! All my future players have to have that.
Panasonic PT- AE8000U projector 120" screen
Denon AVR 2809, Emotiva XPA-5
Axiom M80 V2 Towers
Axiom VP-180 V3 Center
Axiom QS8's surrounds
Axiom EP500 Sub
Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blu-ray player
Hail to the MAIZE and BLU
Old 04-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #6

Mar 2011
Default Audio Static

I recently started getting a little static with the audio on the LG BD630. I'm using an HDMI cable from the player to the TV. I read a few other things on other pages about audio static through HDMI and that unplugging from the player, TV and power then putting everything back may help. I believe, so far, it seems to have helped.

Is this a common problem with LG blu ray players, or HDMI in general?
Old 05-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

Oct 2010

I puchased this model after my Sony BDP-N460 gave up the ghost after only a year and a half. It was much cheaper to buy a new player than have the Sony replaced or repaired through the manufacturer.

I bought the LG player on 5/13. I did the software update ("MAIN VER") but held off on the driver update ("SERVO VER"). Decided to do the driver update this morning and now my player is giving me a "Check Disc" error evertime I put in a Blu-ray disc. I get a "No Disc" error when I try a DVD. Prior to the driver update, the player worked smoothly.

I got in touch with LG and the customer service rep had me try a hard reset. Didn't work. I asked about the two different types of updates as I'm not the biggest techie. The rep advised I shouldn't have bothered with the driver update. I then asked why should it make a difference if the driver was updated to the most recent version. He replied the player would inform me if a driver update was necessary even if it wasn't network connected! (Say what?) The rep concluded there was most likely hardware malfunction.

I'm going to return it for an exchange in the hope I was just unlucky (it was Friday the 13th after all) the first go around. If anyone can shed more light on when I should, if ever, bother with a driver update, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #8

Mar 2011

I have done several software updates and haven't seen this problem. We use DVDs on a daily basis for my daughter. Haven't tried a blu ray disk in a while though because usually we watch through Netflix or Vudu. Hope you get things worked out!

I'm still having a problem, which I'm starting to think is my TV and not the player. I posted about it a while back where the player and TV loose sync and don't work anymore. This happens at random times. The only way I've been able to fix it is to unplug the HDMI cable from the TV and player, then re-attach everything. I guess it could be the cable, it was only 4 dollars, but I've read that price doesn't matter for HDMI and paying 40 or 50 dollars locally is a rip off. Any truth to this? I also have a Roku box attached with the same brand cable and never get this problem and it happens on all of my HDMI ports.

Oh well, great player though!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #9

Jun 2011

Just bought this player yesterday and I was wondering is there a way to change the default wallpaper of the main menu?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #10

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiger9 View Post
Just bought this player yesterday and I was wondering is there a way to change the default wallpaper of the main menu?
Unfortunatly none that I know of. It's a pretty basic player, but it does everything quite well.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
ackleywall

The BD630 offers a stripped down set of streaming media features, rather than the added all-embracing Smart Apps belvedere that is accessible on high-end players. You aswell would not search added addition features, such as 3D Blu-ray compatibility or DLNA personal media streaming.

Last edited by ackleywall; 06-28-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #12

Jun 2011
Default Lg bd660

Hi guys,

i just bought 3 days ago the LG BD660 & it was not region free as it was locked on region 2 so i went to the customer service & they made the player region free when i came back home tried one of my DVDs region 1 & it worked but the question now if i have blu-ray movie region 1 would it work as well?

appreciate to know your feedbacks as i want to order some blu-ray movies from USA & as you know it will be region 1

thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #13

Dec 2011

I'm terribly sorry to revive and hijack this old thread, but I joined this site to get some help on a problem I am having with this specific model.

I am experiencing a problem where the audio drops in and out on my surround sound from the blu-ray player. Dialogue will be cut short, and the background music will only be audible when people are speaking. The surround receiver is a RCA 325W (I know, I know, it's a cheap home theater in a box but it's just for my bedroom so all you audiophiles please don't knock it ), and the Blu Ray player is an LG BD630.

My parents have a BD 630 in the living room, and I tried switching them out but both of them do it. The Glitch Happens with Blu Rays, DVDs, and Netflix on the Blu Ray player. No other device in my home theater set up causes this problem. My Playstation 2, my old DVD player, my record player, and computer all sound just fine on the surround sound. The receiver has its own upscaling DVD player in it, and it plays mulichannel sound in dolby format just fine.

I tried to get around the strange effect by running an auxiliary cable from the TV to the receiver, and letting the HDMI cable carry the audio to the television. It still does the glitch, no matter what I set the HDMI audio output as (PCM 2.0, PCM Multichannel, DTS re-encode, and Primary Pass Through).

It also does it if I use red and white RCA cables and run them to my surround sound. It makes no difference whether or not I set the receiver to stereo or 5.1.

The firmware is fully updated on the BD 630.

I came here for help because people don't bother reading the question I post on yahoo, posting irrelevant answers. Contacting LG, they told me to ask RCA. I contacted RCA, and they blame it on LG.

I'm relatively certain the Blu Ray player is at fault since no other device with any sort of input has this problem. Is there any way to fix this, or am I just going to have to watch my Blu Ray player through my television speakers? What would even cause this sort of strange sound effect?

I'm thinking about trying the coaxial cable, but I'll need a Coax to Toslink converter, since my receiver only has an optical Toslink input.

Sorry for the length of the post, but this problem is rather complicated... Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
I'm terribly sorry to revive and hijack this old thread, but I joined this site to get some help on a problem I am having with this specific model.

I am experiencing a problem where the audio drops in and out on my surround sound from the blu-ray player. Dialogue will be cut short, and the background music will only be audible when people are speaking. The surround receiver is a RCA 325W (I know, I know, it's a cheap home theater in a box but it's just for my bedroom so all you audiophiles please don't knock it ), and the Blu Ray player is an LG BD630.

My parents have a BD 630 in the living room, and I tried switching them out but both of them do it. The Glitch Happens with Blu Rays, DVDs, and Netflix on the Blu Ray player. No other device in my home theater set up causes this problem. My Playstation 2, my old DVD player, my record player, and computer all sound just fine on the surround sound. The receiver has its own upscaling DVD player in it, and it plays mulichannel sound in dolby format just fine.

I tried to get around the strange effect by running an auxiliary cable from the TV to the receiver, and letting the HDMI cable carry the audio to the television. It still does the glitch, no matter what I set the HDMI audio output as (PCM 2.0, PCM Multichannel, DTS re-encode, and Primary Pass Through).

It also does it if I use red and white RCA cables and run them to my surround sound. It makes no difference whether or not I set the receiver to stereo or 5.1.

The firmware is fully updated on the BD 630.

I came here for help because people don't bother reading the question I post on yahoo, posting irrelevant answers. Contacting LG, they told me to ask RCA. I contacted RCA, and they blame it on LG.

I'm relatively certain the Blu Ray player is at fault since no other device with any sort of input has this problem. Is there any way to fix this, or am I just going to have to watch my Blu Ray player through my television speakers? What would even cause this sort of strange sound effect?

I'm thinking about trying the coaxial cable, but I'll need a Coax to Toslink converter, since my receiver only has an optical Toslink input.

Sorry for the length of the post, but this problem is rather complicated... Thanks in advance for your help!
It's not just surround sound; it's all sound, as your test with RCA connections (analog stereo) proved. If it happens with HDMI, optical *and* analog stereo, converting coax to optical won't help; coax is essentially the same S/PDIF signal (i.e., LPCM stereo or DD/DTS lossy bitstream) as optical.

Have you tried it with your parents' sound system, especially via optical or analog-stereo connections? Running HDMI audio thru a TV to optical isn't a good test; very few TVs actually pass HDMI audio unchanged from HDMI in to optical out. (Most will always force a downconvert to LPCM stereo; others allow DD to pass through but not DTS, thus forcing DTS discs down to LPCM stereo.) If you get the same issues with your parents' system--or with cheap stereo computer speakers connected to the LG's RCA jacks, which will probably require a Y-adapter--it's surely an LG issue.

Also, try running an optical cable straight from the LG to your HTiB with the player set to "Primary Pass Through" and a disc (BD or more likely DVD) explicitly set in the menus to Dolby Digital--*not* LPCM, DTS or even TrueHD. That bypasses all internal audio processing in the LG; it simply grabs the DD signal from the disc and sends it unchanged to the HTiB. (Even LPCM stereo/2.0 may be manipulated by the audio processor; some older cheap HTiBs may *not* have a DTS decoder; lossless audio can only be bitstreamed over HDMI, and even falling back from TrueHD to DD isn't 100% foolproof.) If that works but most everything else fails, it's probably an issue with the LG's internal audio processor.

(Edit: If it occurs even with DD over optical as described above, but not via analog stereo with your parents' system or the computer speakers, it's an HTiB issue; but that's unlikely since your HTiB works fine with other devices.)
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 (w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, Hanns-G HL227, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, TMT 6, PDVD 11)
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch; Nook HD; Galaxy Tab 3 Lite; Moto G; iPhone 3GS
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.

Last edited by RBBrittain; 12-17-2011 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Expand
Old 12-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #15

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
It's not just surround sound; it's all sound, as your test with RCA connections (analog stereo) proved. If it happens with HDMI, optical *and* analog stereo, converting coax to optical won't help; coax is essentially the same S/PDIF signal (i.e., LPCM stereo or DD/DTS lossy bitstream) as optical.

Have you tried it with your parents' sound system, especially via optical or analog-stereo connections? Running HDMI audio thru a TV to optical isn't a good test; very few TVs actually pass HDMI audio unchanged from HDMI in to optical out. (Most will always force a downconvert to LPCM stereo; others allow DD to pass through but not DTS, thus forcing DTS discs down to LPCM stereo.) If you get the same issues with your parents' system--or with cheap stereo computer speakers connected to the LG's RCA jacks, which will probably require a Y-adapter--it's surely an LG issue.

Also, try running an optical cable straight from the LG to your HTiB with the player set to "Primary Pass Through" and a disc (BD or more likely DVD) explicitly set in the menus to Dolby Digital--*not* LPCM, DTS or even TrueHD. That bypasses all internal audio processing in the LG; it simply grabs the DD signal from the disc and sends it unchanged to the HTiB. (Even LPCM stereo/2.0 may be manipulated by the audio processor; some older cheap HTiBs may *not* have a DTS decoder; lossless audio can only be bitstreamed over HDMI, and even falling back from TrueHD to DD isn't 100% foolproof.) If that works but most everything else fails, it's probably an issue with the LG's internal audio processor.

(Edit: If it occurs even with DD over optical as described above, but not via analog stereo with your parents' system or the computer speakers, it's an HTiB issue; but that's unlikely since your HTiB works fine with other devices.)
I haven't used a coaxial connection yet; my receiver has an optical input but not coaxial, so I was asking if getting one of those Coax to optical converts so I am able to use the BD player's coaxial cable might solve the problem.

Also I'm curious as to what would cause this issue in the first place.

My parents don't have a sound system in the living room, we just have the same Blu Ray player, so unfortunately the only way I could test it on another receiver would be to take it to a friends house.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #16

Dec 2011
Default LG BD630 issues

I bought one of these around this time last year and it does the same thing. I have the LG BD630 connected like so:

1. hdmi from bd630 going straight the an LG 42" plasma
2. RCA L&R audio going from bd630 to an Onkyo 602 7.1 receiver (no hdmi)
3. Composite video/yellow plug going from bd630 to LG 42" plasma

In order to get the sound from the bd630 to go thru the receiver I have to:

1. unplug hdmi from the back of bd630.
2. power on bd630 and allow picture and sound to start playing. At this point video is going thru the composite video / yellow plug to plasma tv. The sound is going thru the L&R rca to the receiver.
3. plug the hdmi back into the bd630 rear panel.
4. Msg appears on plasma (new hdmi connection detected....do u want to use new connection...... (or something along those lines).
5. click "Yes" to the msg and voila. I have HD pic and surround sound thru the receiver.

This is pain to have to do everytime in order to watch a blu ray or dvd on this system. Fortunately, this is not my primary HT room and my wife doesn't watch very many movies back there either. She watches mostly reality shows off her dvr (comcast). But, when she does want to watch a movie, I have to pause my ps3 game , go down stairs to the bedroom and go thru steps 1 thru 5 every time. Then I get to go back upstairs to my man cave and enjoy my ps3. I'm really thinking about replacing this bd630 and just getting another ps3 and puting the bd630 in the kitchen (no sound system in the kitchen, yet). Maybe there's a fw update to fix this issue?
Display - Sammy HLT-6176S 61" DLP & LG 42PJ350 42" Plasma - Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR809 7.2 - Processor - Behringer FBQ1502 15-Band Stereo Graphic Equalizer - Front Stage - Polk Audio Mon 70 series II - Center - Polk Audio Tsi CS20 - Side Surround - Polk Audio Mon 70 series II - Rear Surround - Polk Audio Mon 40 series II - Subs - (2) Polk Audio PSW 505 & (2) Dayton/Infinity (hybrid subs) - Media Players - PS3 320GB Slim, XBox 360 250GB & Dish Sat Hopper with Sling DVR

Last edited by TDP; 12-20-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #17

Dec 2011
Default LG 630- Having trouble with Japanese blu ray disc

I just started playing my Japanese blu ray disc yesterday. It was working fine for a few minutes then it began skipping. I do not know much about blu rays as this is my first one. Is there anything I can do to fix it? It is a region A player and the disc from Japan is also region A. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #18

Nov 2011
Live From Hell!

I have this played too and I heard it's going to be discontinued? I guess that means all players with analog input and output? Sorry, I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to electronics. But if this is true than that means LG will stop with the firmware updates, correct? Does that mean I can't get a firmware update through my internet connection or does this basically mean that LG just won't send the firmware discs out anymore? I'm confused because if I can't get a firmware update through my connection doesn't that mean I need a new Blu-ray player? Someone help!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #19

Aug 2008
Texas

Any confirm this has region b and c capability?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders