Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$154.15
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Garfield 1 & 2: Fat Cat Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Sword in the Stone (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #1

Oct 2010
New York
Default Lost or Battlestar Galactica?

I'm on Season 2 of both, which Complete series set should i get? I can only get one right now. I like both, and i would appreciate any advice on what to get. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #2

Jul 2008

Tough call. I'd probably go BSG, but either one is a good choice.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #3

Apr 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray1 View Post
I'm on Season 2 of both, which Complete series set should i get? I can only get one right now. I like both, and i would appreciate any advice on what to get. Thanks.
I was completely sucked into the LOST hype train for quite some time. In my opinion the quality of the show gradually goes downhill starting with season 3. It completely fell short in many respects, and lost it's bearings when they introduced a buttload of unsolvable mysteries and characters that had no relevance.

I haven't seen a single episode of Battlestar Galatica, but I've heard it get praise from a lot of people. I've always wanted to get into the show, but can't manage it with all the new stuff that's on now.

I'd suggest, if you have Netflix, to check out the rest of LOST through that. I was able to stream it through my Xbox 360/PS3 in HD, and they had all the seasons with all the episodes. If you turn out to have a different opinion than mine, I'd purchase the boxset.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #4

May 2010
Canada

Definitely, hand's down it would have to be
Battlestar Galactica!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Miami, FL

Lost... what's a Battle Star Galactica?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

Probably both!
Each day I have to have a dose of SF

My Blu Ray Collection

SF Series And Movies.com
Old 04-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #7

Jul 2010

LOST.

I love both shows but LOST is much better in the long run. They both have comparably awesome first seasons but BSG is only 4 seasons and it's good for 2 1/2 of them. LOST has 3 fantastic seasons (1,4,5), 2 good seasons (2,6) and one poor (3). Both series have what most consider poor endings but you be the judge of that.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #8

Sep 2007
Snellville, Ga

Bsg
Samsung PN50C680 with DirecTV HD-DVR Box, Denon AVR-591 Receiver,
Polk R300 Front Tower Speakers, Polk CS1 Center Speaker,
Polk
T15 Surround Speakers, Sony PS3 Slim 160GB, Xbox 360 Slim 320GB
Total Blu-ray Count: 382
Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Expert Member

Jun 2010
United States

My vote is for Battlestar Galactica. But I'm not sure how helpful my vote is...considering I sold my Lost Blu-Ray the same month I bought it. I didn't even finish the second season. It's actually the set that made me swear off blind buys!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #10
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Bsg!
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42 Movies and 4 TV Series
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Letterboxd Diary
Old 04-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
PA

I've watched every episode of both on Blu-ray. Definitely go for Battlestar Galactica.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #12
Expert Member

Oct 2009
New York City

Both turned out to be
[Show spoiler]nothing but religious nonsense with cop-out endings
, but, to me, LOST was certainly much more captivating on the way there (and free of all that militarist propaganda).

I'd go with LOST, but I felt mightily disappointed by both shows, even more so with LOST, if only because my expectations were much higher.

As for the BD audio/video presentation, I think they are both on a high par. You will definitely get more than a fair bang for your buck in that regard.

Last edited by Roy Batty; 04-08-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:18 AM   #13

Feb 2010
Fantasia

Definitely BSG!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #14

Oct 2008
MN

Battlestar Galactica all the way, much better story all-around (don't get me wrong, Lost was great, BSG is just better!)
Old 04-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Both! Lost and BSG sit on a very high pedestal, and they are my two favorite tv shows so choosing one is like choosing between which of my children I would pick as my favorite. BSG is cheaper, and is more of a ride in the action department, but Lost is more a of a ride in the character department. Personally I would go with BSG first as you are still very early into Lost, and there are some major game changers you haven't even got to. I would wait til the end of season 3 before you buy Lost. BSG is a bit more consistent I think, also. It's up to you, but BSG would be the one I would buy first. But definitely purchase Lost down the road. It's a fun show to revisit with all its hidden clues. They both have good replay value, also. If you still can't decide then flip a coin, because honestly both are worth owning.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #16
Expert Member

Jan 2009
Chicago

No offense to anyone, and I mean that...but if you ask this question on a blu-ray forum you are going to get a lot of BSG fanboys. I mean, I am a huge fan of the series and I also own both Lost and BSG complete series, and while BSG is good - it comes nowhere and i mean nowhere close to Lost in quality of anything. So beware asking this question here, I'm just saying -- Lost is much more mainstream and a ton of people - even people who don't care about tv - loved the show. BSG only appeals to the geeks of the population - it's just that type - everyone I know who likes it is a geek, which is fine. It's not a negative obviously. But what I'm saying is LOST is simply much better and appeals to many more ppl.

To me, BSG is great seasons 1- 2 and good 3-4. For me, Lost is pure genius seasons 1, 2, and 5.....great season 3 and 6....and just good/borderline average in season 4.

Even if you like the shows equally, lost is a better purchase because of length, picture quality, and amount of extras. NO BRAINER!!!!!!
My 10 Favorite TV Current TV Shows:
1) Parks and Rec 2) Sherlock 3) Chuck 4) Castle 5) Dexter 6) Doctor Who 7) The Office 8) psych 9) MADMEN 10) modern family

My 10 Favorite Retired TV Shows:
1) Firefly 2) Scrubs 3) Arrested Development 4) Buffy the Vampire Slayer 5) Angel 6) Lost 7) Veronica Mars 8) Monk 9) Seinfeld 10) Alias
Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
New York

I like both but I would go with Battlestar Galactica first.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #18
Power Member

Jul 2009
Canada eh?

Both had terrible
[Show spoiler]religious/spiritual/faith-based
endings so don't expect some extravagant conclusions. That being said, the journey to the ends of these two series (seasons 1-5 for Lost and seasons 1-3 and most of 4 for BSG) were pretty awesome.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
LV-223

If you've watched both to season two I suggest you finish Battlestar Galactica. Lost just degenerates to non-sense after the first 2 seasons and has the worst cop-out ending ever. At least no one saw BSG's ending coming.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_bleed_Cubby_Blu View Post
No offense to anyone, and I mean that...but if you ask this question on a blu-ray forum you are going to get a lot of BSG fanboys. I mean, I am a huge fan of the series and I also own both Lost and BSG complete series, and while BSG is good - it comes nowhere and i mean nowhere close to Lost in quality of anything. So beware asking this question here, I'm just saying -- Lost is much more mainstream and a ton of people - even people who don't care about tv - loved the show. BSG only appeals to the geeks of the population - it's just that type - everyone I know who likes it is a geek, which is fine. It's not a negative obviously. But what I'm saying is LOST is simply much better and appeals to many more ppl.

To me, BSG is great seasons 1- 2 and good 3-4. For me, Lost is pure genius seasons 1, 2, and 5.....great season 3 and 6....and just good/borderline average in season 4.

Even if you like the shows equally, lost is a better purchase because of length, picture quality, and amount of extras. NO BRAINER!!!!!!
I think that says more about the people not giving it a chance, becaus they think its sci-fi. Truth is if people could get past the space ships and the attitude that it is a geeks show they might just find its quality tv. BSG is pure drama in a sci-fi shell. It does what sci-fi is suppossed to do in that it uses its setting to tell a story about the current conditions of society and events. Please don't tell people its a geek show as you are only adding to the stereotype and pigeonholing the show. I know you meant no offense, but its shortsighted to classify the show geeky just because most people are to stubborn or proud to give it a chance. Bunch of frakkin toasters is what they are! Lol

P.S. Didn't mean to fanboy all over the place there, but I'd do the same for Lost. They are great tv. Damn shame it will be a long time before anything like them come along again.

Last edited by Cook; 04-08-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
battlestar, complete, galactica, lost, series