COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Eraserhead (Blu-ray)
$27.33
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Machinist (Blu-ray)
$6.94
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$16.19
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
Default Studio Ghibli Collection Thread

Number templates:
[Show spoiler]

Last edited by Yami; 04-27-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #2

Apr 2011
West Midlands, UK

Good idea. I have to wonder why it is taking so long for them all to be released.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Whisper of the Heart?? wow good news on that one coming out.. of course have to wait till it get's released in Japan then about 3-4 months till it is out over here.

Might want to add Arrietty to Possible release this year.. It has a slated theatrical release in the Summer.. but that will probably change...

Last edited by tuxqi; 04-10-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

I'm really excited for Whisper of the Heart, it was a nice surprise as I'd have bet on a 10th anniversary release of Spirited Away.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
Special Member

Jul 2009

Nice thread Yami. So weird though, I was just thinking this morning that someone should do a Ghibli thread. You must have read my mind!
Searching for the following slipcovers, minty fresh:
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, Charlie's Angels, Cabin In The Woods, Se7en.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA

Not sure if any of you already saw this, but member AnimeOnBlu posted a link in the http://forum.blu-ray.com/insider-dis...et-al-729.html thread to what appears to be a Japanese press release for Whisper of the Heart. It lists a release date of 7/20 in Japan and even has cover art:

Link: http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n...11_438454.html

I'm from the US; luckily you guys in the UK are more likely to get your hands on this title long before we see it in the US. We still don't even have an announcement yet on Castle in the Sky and My Neighbors the Yamadas. Plus, Arrietty isn't scheduled to premiere in the theater until 2/17/12!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Not sure if any of you already saw this, but member AnimeOnBlu posted a link in the http://forum.blu-ray.com/insider-dis...et-al-729.html thread to what appears to be a Japanese press release for Whisper of the Heart. It lists a release date of 7/20 in Japan and even has cover art:

[Show spoiler]

Link: http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n...11_438454.html

I'm from the US; luckily you guys in the UK are more likely to get your hands on this title long before we see it in the US. We still don't even have an announcement yet on Castle in the Sky and My Neighbors the Yamadas. Plus, Arrietty isn't scheduled to premiere in the theater until 2/17/12!
Whisper of the Heart is one of my favourites, would love to have it on blu-ray
Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #8

Aug 2007
The Netherlands

Nausicaa seems to have a different cover than Ponyo and the other two pending for release. Can anyone who owns Nausicaa comment on this? I would like to start the Ghibli Blu-ray collection by ordering Ponyo and Nausicaa, but if Nausicaa has a completely different cover/case style, then I will most likely wait with that one.
Equipment : Sony KDL-46W4000 46" Full HD | Sony BDP-S350 | Onkyo TX-SR606 black | JBL Northridge E80 fronts bi-amped | Harman/Kardon HKTS7 | KPN Motorola VIP1963 HD DVR 1080i | Apple TV 3rd gen | Apple iMac w/ XBMC 12 | Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Aldenkamp Q.6250

Latest Blu-rays : Happy Feet 1 & 2: 2 Film Collection | The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition)
Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Australia

Borrower Arrietty? Never even heard of it! And I'm a big Ghibli fan
Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #10

Aug 2010

Same with ShockFly, I'm a bit disappointed with the Nausicaa release... the Ponyo special edition is a really nice foldout box/slipcase. A standard Amaray looks a bit naff in comparison, and it's a shame they didn't release it in the same style.

Do we have any region comparisons of Nausicaa too? It's been out for a while in the East from memory. I've not seen the film, as I never paid much attention to Ghibli before (couldn't get into Mononoke much, which was disappointing) but I really enjoyed Ponyo and the transfer was beautiful.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashio View Post
Borrower Arrietty? Never even heard of it! And I'm a big Ghibli fan
One of the best films of 2010 that I saw. Amazing film. BD will be released in Japan in June
Old 04-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Australia

Man, the waiting on japanese movies are horrible. There's always a huge gap for each Ghibli/Evangelion release

I looked at the trailer, seems alright although I'm disappointed they haven't been more ambitious - would've loved something similar to Howl's Moving Castle/Spirited Away. Ponyo was extremely disappointing (too basic, aimed for a much younger audience)

Hopefully I'll remember the title, Borrower Arrietty doesn't naturally roll out my tongue

Last edited by backslashio; 04-15-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockFly View Post
Nausicaa seems to have a different cover than Ponyo and the other two pending for release. Can anyone who owns Nausicaa comment on this? I would like to start the Ghibli Blu-ray collection by ordering Ponyo and Nausicaa, but if Nausicaa has a completely different cover/case style, then I will most likely wait with that one.
Optimum are doing minor re-releases of Ponyo and Nausicaa and re-numbering them 1 and 2, whether they will also re-release Nausicaa with a slip and dvd is to be seen..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayX View Post
Same with ShockFly, I'm a bit disappointed with the Nausicaa release... the Ponyo special edition is a really nice foldout box/slipcase. A standard Amaray looks a bit naff in comparison, and it's a shame they didn't release it in the same style.

Do we have any region comparisons of Nausicaa too? It's been out for a while in the East from memory. I've not seen the film, as I never paid much attention to Ghibli before (couldn't get into Mononoke much, which was disappointing) but I really enjoyed Ponyo and the transfer was beautiful.
The UK/Australia release of Nausicaa had some light DNR. people who love film grain didn't like it, not all the grain was removed. Personally from comparisons I saw it really didn't seem to affect any detail at all.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #14
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Australia

The UK/AU Nausicaa release was superior imo. I don't like grain on animation and even upon zooming in & comparing the shots there was practically no difference at all in terms of detail - aside from one shot having grain visible and the other didn't. On a live action movie it'd be much more obvious & the DNR applied was only a light amount - not excessive to the point of a blurry mess

Also the saturation helped bring the animation to life as well - looked great! I'm normally not a fan of alterations that go against the director's choice but for this there weren't any issues
Old 04-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #15
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashio View Post
Hopefully I'll remember the title, Borrower Arrietty doesn't naturally roll out my tongue
The official English title may become simply 'The Borrowers' but I don't think there has been any official announcement yet. Optimum's press release just named it 'Arrietty'.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #16

Aug 2010

Interesting, I've never really considered the DNR argument when it comes to non-live action filming. I'm not a fan of it when overused, Cameron managed to prove it definitely is a viable tool with 'Aliens' though. With animation, the grain truly is a side effect of the medium as opposed to something there out of creative choice. Do we have any indication on what the directors preference is?

I'm multiregion so while getting a UK disc is easiest, and matches best (although it'll look like it's missing its slip), if an Asian version is better I might pick that up instead. I do like the artwork for it I saw on YesAsia a while back.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayX View Post
Interesting, I've never really considered the DNR argument when it comes to non-live action filming. I'm not a fan of it when overused, Cameron managed to prove it definitely is a viable tool with 'Aliens' though. With animation, the grain truly is a side effect of the medium as opposed to something there out of creative choice. Do we have any indication on what the directors preference is?

I've not seen an actual source but read what someone else said once that Miyazaki prefers to make his work look like films, rather than Disney's preferred choice of making it look like moving artwork..

of course.. not seen an actual source to proove that's what he said..
Old 04-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #18
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Australia

I think Miyazaki's intention was "true to source" meaning how it should've looked before digital alteration/computers was considered a common process of restoration
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

For Castle In The Sky, do the Australian blu-ray and UK blu-ray have the same video/audio quality?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
For Castle In The Sky, do the Australian blu-ray and UK blu-ray have the same video/audio quality?
Madman and Optimum produce the discs together so they should be identical.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland