Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
12 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
14 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
12 hrs ago
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #1

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to lghaze42
Default Samsung problems?

My friend recently bought a Samsung blu-ray player from Sears.He did some updates online but the player had problems playing some titles.Mostly Universal and Warner Brothers.He called Samsung and they sent him a firmware disc but the problem is still there.He called them back and was told that there should be a fix for the problem soon.Anyone else having this problem with Samsung?This is his first entry into blu-ray and he says he is disappointed so far.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Honestly I would suggest returning it and getting a different brand player. I have had nothing but problems with samsung players and their support is more than terrible.
Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god."

Godzilla Asia Trailer (2014)
Old 04-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lghaze42 View Post
My friend recently bought a Samsung blu-ray player
That's your friend's problem right there. I'm not trying to be snarky, but I have to agree with madlost1.

My first Blu-Ray player was a Samsung BD-P1200. It was great at first but witin a manner of months it was basically a useless piece of junk. If it wasn't for the fact that I got it for free as an award where I work, I would have been even more angry.

From what I understand, some of the newer player made since then are better by comparison (because the support for the particular player that I had and the one before it was nothing short of completely-god-aweful). But, that's still not saying much.

Basically the common issue with them is that they are slow with their firmware updates and they seem to have the most problems when it comes to disc playback compatibility. It takes Samsung forever to get firmware updates out to make discs compatible... AND many discs that won't play on a Samsung player will often play in many players from other companies, even if the absolute latest firmware hasn't been downloaded to them.

Additionally, I had a Samsung recordable DVD player that crapped out on me after maybe 6 or 7 months, and my aunt had a Samsung DVD/VHS combo unit that didn't last very long either.

So, basically my advice is stay as far away from Samsung as possible for Blu-Ray players or any kind of movie-playback device if humanly possible.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #4

Mar 2011

I agree with all of these. I purchased one as well and had nothing but problems, even after a firmware update. The features were great, but if they only work half the time it's not worth it to me. I purchased a different brand and have had much less problems. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #5

Dec 2007
Princeton West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to lghaze42

I will talk to him at work tomorrow.I think he got it because he has a Samsung TV.Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:18 AM   #6

Mar 2011
Canada
Canada Unacceptable!

I am very disappointed with Samsung Blu-ray players and their customer support!

I cannot play 'The Incredibles' and 'Tron Legacy' with mine, plus there are a multitude of movies on Blu that have several and major audio dropouts!
It seems that Dolby TrueHD audio soundtracks are the most problematic ones.

And I'm at the latest firmware. Samsung is aware of the issues and is working on it; but the latest firmware update was a year ago! Simply not good enough!

No more Samsung products for me, EVER!

* Plus Samsung have infiltrated privacy with some of their laptops!
Just Google it!
Only in your Dreams...
Old 04-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

See, now I had issue with my initial player, but the replacement has played flawlessly. As a matter of fact my son is watching Kipper on Netflix. Although I have read that there have been some issues with Samsung's here, I can understand your friend wanting to stick with like components. If not for the remotes alone. Funny thing is, I have a LG LED and once I get it mounted I'll set up my Onkyo HTIB. So I may just have to get a universal remote when the time comes. BTW, which BD player did your friend pickup? I'd recommend one that can be set up for wireless(if he has a wireless router). That way you can directly download the firmware updates to the BD player. Best of luck to him on whatever he decides.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #8

Apr 2010

I agree with these posts also. I had problems with a 6500 I bought last spring. When it worked, it worked great but I had a few movies that had audio dropouts and a couple that would freeze and skip for a few seconds. I called Samsung and they also told me to wait for a firmware update and that there should be one soon. These were movies that had been out on blu ray for a while, not new releases. I had it for 6 months and got BB to swap it out for a Panasonic. All the movies that would not play in the Samsung worked fine in the Panasonic. If you go to BB and look in their blu ray dept, all but one of their 25-30 open box players were Samsung returns. There were no Sonys and 1 Panasonic.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #9

Mar 2011
Canada
Canada My personal take...

Me think that Samsung shouldn't operate in this business any longer, as they hurt the customers more than they help them!
Only in your Dreams...
Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #10

Feb 2009

My Samsung BD P1500 has caused me to have a lot less hair, from pulling it out! There are a lot of discs it won't play, even with firmware up dates. It occasionally plays a BD with no sound. The player is painfully slow, and with DVD's it will usually freeze or skip, while playing them, while my old DVD player plays them just fine. Customer service has never been helpful, they just say send your machine in for repair.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #11

Jul 2010
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berting View Post
My Samsung BD P1500 has caused me to have a lot less hair, from pulling it out! There are a lot of discs it won't play, even with firmware up dates. It occasionally plays a BD with no sound. The player is painfully slow, and with DVD's it will usually freeze or skip, while playing them, while my old DVD player plays them just fine. Customer service has never been helpful, they just say send your machine in for repair.
Ive got the same player and I couldnt agree more it drives me crazy! never remembers bookmarks once the disc has been ejected. It hangs for a second every time I hit ffwd or reverse and its beyond slow to eject the disc. ffwd/reverse speeds blow hard as well. Had a few disc not read at all and the other day when watching "how to train your dragon" near the end the sound started screetching so loud out of my theater speakers it scared the hell outta me and it happened and the same spot every time. Glitches on Terminator salvation in the same 4 spots every time as well. Some sound glitches on Tron Legacy as well. My PS3 never has these issues on these same discs. If the PS3 had bitstream it would be a non issue Id use it in the theater.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #12
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin770 View Post
Ive got the same player and I couldnt agree more it drives me crazy! never remembers bookmarks once the disc has been ejected. It hangs for a second every time I hit ffwd or reverse and its beyond slow to eject the disc. ffwd/reverse speeds blow hard as well. Had a few disc not read at all and the other day when watching "how to train your dragon" near the end the sound started screetching so loud out of my theater speakers it scared the hell outta me and it happened and the same spot every time. Glitches on Terminator salvation in the same 4 spots every time as well. Some sound glitches on Tron Legacy as well. My PS3 never has these issues on these same discs. If the PS3 had bitstream it would be a non issue Id use it in the theater.
go and buy PS3 slim it can do bitstreaming and decoding...
Sony Bravia X-series 40"
PS3 60 GB.Region A
Panasonic DMP-BD35 region B and ABC and Sony BDP-S790 Video and Audio through HDMI.
YAMAHA Receiver and JBL+ BOSE and Acoustic subwoofer 7.1
Old 04-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorxpion View Post
Yeah, the PS3 is a good way to go. While there are players now that outperform it (in mostly marginal ways), it has been a good, solid, reliable machine with overall very reliable compatibility. After I started having problems with my Samsung player, I got a PS3 (and this is back when they were the 'phat' models and cost $500). I still have that PS3 and have since gotten another (a 120GB slim model). I've never had any major playback problems that I can recall. They are very good and quick with updating the firmware when it's needed to play discs (though I find that I don't usually need to update the firmware just to play a newer disc).

Also in general Sony and Panasonic players seem like good reliable machines. I don't have any first hand experience with Panasonic players, but in addition to my PS3s, I also have a Sony Blu-Ray player (the specific model escapes me at the moment.... it's the one from the Disney Movie Rewards promotion that was going on at the end of last year), and while I haven't had it for too long and my experience with it is minimal compared to the PS3, it's been good so far with no problems.

And you really don't have to have the same brand components for things to work correctly. Hooking up a Sony or Panasonic player to a Samsung TV will work just fine.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
Yeah, the PS3 is a good way to go. While there are players now that outperform it (in mostly marginal ways), it has been a good, solid, reliable machine with overall very reliable compatibility. After I started having problems with my Samsung player, I got a PS3 (and this is back when they were the 'phat' models and cost $500). I still have that PS3 and have since gotten another (a 120GB slim model). I've never had any major playback problems that I can recall. They are very good and quick with updating the firmware when it's needed to play discs (though I find that I don't usually need to update the firmware just to play a newer disc).

Also in general Sony and Panasonic players seem like good reliable machines. I don't have any first hand experience with Panasonic players, but in addition to my PS3s, I also have a Sony Blu-Ray player (the specific model escapes me at the moment.... it's the one from the Disney Movie Rewards promotion that was going on at the end of last year), and while I haven't had it for too long and my experience with it is minimal compared to the PS3, it's been good so far with no problems.

And you really don't have to have the same brand components for things to work correctly. Hooking up a Sony or Panasonic player to a Samsung TV will work just fine.

Can i say better than you i don't think so , if i have anything to add maybe i add it.Everyone here should read carefully what you have written and apply it.
Sony Bravia X-series 40"
PS3 60 GB.Region A
Panasonic DMP-BD35 region B and ABC and Sony BDP-S790 Video and Audio through HDMI.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #15

Jul 2010
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorxpion View Post
Is the decoding onboard like the PS3 fatty? So your receiver reads PCM when selected, or is it true bitstream that sends the raw signal to the receiver to decode?

Last edited by Dustin770; 04-16-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Is the decoding onboard like the PS3 fatty? So your receiver reads PCM when selected, or is it true bitstream that sends the raw signal to the receiver to decode?
I have a fat but I think you can do either with the slim.
Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god."

Godzilla Asia Trailer (2014)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #17

Jun 2010
the 601
USA

@ times I've wanted to throw my 6500 in the River but oddly now its played like the last 10 disc without any issues ...
Samsung PN50C550 Plasma, Samsung BD C6500 Blu-ray Player, Sony STR DN1000 Receiver, Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 800 Speakers, Bello WAVS-327 Cabinet
Old 04-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon

Quote:
yes they are the same ,the only difference between Slim and the fat one capability of bitstreaming everything else are equally the same.
Sony Bravia X-series 40"
PS3 60 GB.Region A
Old 04-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

My girlfreinds roomate bought a Samsung Blu ray player 2 weeks ago and it went dead friday night!!!! I warned him but he didnt listen. He returned it yesterday for another one hopeing the results wont be the same but I wouldnt bet on it.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #20

Mar 2009
Toronto Canada

I have had a Samsung BD P3600 since July 2009. I have had zero issues and has never refused any of my over 100 titles. I will say the customer service is the worst I've seen anywhere. Yes, the firmware updating is a joke. It's every few months LOL It's obvious after the sale is made, these guys wash their hands.
Receiver Onkyo TX-SR 507
TV Sharp Aquos LC46D64u
Bluray Samsung BD-P3600A
High Def Cable Scientic Alanta 4250HD
Speakers Nuance
Sub Nuance
222DVD 181 Bluray

Last edited by bmwone; 04-17-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders