Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.07
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH
Default The Yards & The Lookout Double Feature

I know the review has been posted for The Yards and it doesn't look that great quality wise. However, I do wonder about The Lookout. Does anyone happen to know if it's the same Disney disc repackaged or is this a new pressing from Echo Bridge?

The Yards & The Lookout Blu-ray

Last edited by OrlandoEastwood; 04-19-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

There's still the question of whether these double features are 1 disc or 2.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Banned

May 2008

DSF is 100% accurate.

with double features, sometimes they're a repack of the two existing discs, and sometimes they're both thrown onto one, with one sacrifice or another. yes, it costs a bit to author a separate disc, BUT they see that vs how many they'll produce over the life of the release and weigh the situation that way.

in the past, Echo Bridge has put double features on one disc, where the standalones had lossless audio, and the double features did not. picture quality is also affected. i bought Mega Shark in the double set to review, hoping it would be 2 discs, and i had to go out and buy the standalone, as it was different.

just be VERY careful on the Echo Bridge double features, and that goes for everyone. the price is right. the price is BEYOND right. but at what cost? you want Blu-rays that look and sound like DVD? then what's the bloody point?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
a large castle in Segovia, Spain
-

anyone that wants the Lookout should get the Disney release imo.
why in the world would you trust crappy echo bridge?
I mean they are a straight up disaster.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8boss87 View Post
DSF is 100% accurate.

with double features, sometimes they're a repack of the two existing discs, and sometimes they're both thrown onto one, with one sacrifice or another. yes, it costs a bit to author a separate disc, BUT they see that vs how many they'll produce over the life of the release and weigh the situation that way.

in the past, Echo Bridge has put double features on one disc, where the standalones had lossless audio, and the double features did not. picture quality is also affected. i bought Mega Shark in the double set to review, hoping it would be 2 discs, and i had to go out and buy the standalone, as it was different.

just be VERY careful on the Echo Bridge double features, and that goes for everyone. the price is right. the price is BEYOND right. but at what cost? you want Blu-rays that look and sound like DVD? then what's the bloody point?
Agreed. Hell, if they are on 1 disc, I wouldn't be surprised if they are shoehorned onto a BD25.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Power Member

Aug 2008
The Southland

according to the listings of all the double features coming from Echo Bridge in May are 1 disc. But amazon isn't always correct.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 AM   #7

Mar 2011
Ontario, Canada

What a shame...i'd definitely be interested in picking up this double feature if it is done right.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 AM   #8
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guydowood View Post
according to the listings of all the double features coming from Echo Bridge in May are 1 disc. But amazon isn't always correct.
Amazon did say 2 discs, but changed it to 1 disc.

We'll be finding out soon enough....
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Letterboxd

I love The Lookout but refuse to buy any BD from eco fail. Have been tracking the Disney Lookout BD for a while, want to buy when price is right.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
Power Member

May 2010
Nashville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_Gaines View Post
I love The Lookout but refuse to buy any BD from eco fail. Have been tracking the Disney Lookout BD for a while, want to buy when price is right.
It was $10.99 on Amazon not too long ago. Won't get any better than that.

I've never seen it... thought about blind-buying, but I have other movies I'd prefer to add to my collection beforehand.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Amazon did say 2 discs, but changed it to 1 disc.

We'll be finding out soon enough....
I'm guessing they will be 2 discs since Echo Bridge's own double (triple) packs, which simply repackaged individual releases, have been on two (or three) discs. I guess they could always shove them onto a single disc but that would probably cost them more money and EB is too cheap for that.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #12
Banned

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
I'm guessing they will be 2 discs since Echo Bridge's own double (triple) packs, which simply repackaged individual releases, have been on two (or three) discs. I guess they could always shove them onto a single disc but that would probably cost them more money and EB is too cheap for that.
they've combined discs before, and it may cost less if they produce enough 1 discers rather than 2 discs over the production run.

they've done both ways. you really should aim to the side of caution, rather than the side of disappointment.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Memphis, TN (for now...)
I just hope that Echo Bridge doesn't screw up Equilibrium in any way. I'll be looking for the review on that one soon enough.
Proud member of the blu-bloods since December 2007!

My collection: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...er=wnicholas76

Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

Paul Walker (1973-2013)
Old 04-19-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
they've done both ways. you really should aim to the side of caution, rather than the side of disappointment.
Why would I be disappointed?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

I have the Salem Witch Trials, Salvage, Mortuary triple feature. It's the Salvage / Mortuary double feature release packaged in a slip with the Salem Witch Trials. So, it was three discs in two cases.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansFan4Life View Post
It was $10.99 on Amazon not too long ago. Won't get any better than that.

I've never seen it... thought about blind-buying, but I have other movies I'd prefer to add to my collection beforehand.
I checked out your collection and only got to the 2nd page before realizing you’ve got great taste in movies.
You should get The Lookout. You wouldn’t regret it.

I’ve got to edit and say to NOT get this combo pack. I was on the "disappointed with echo bay" thread just now and can’t recommend anything from them, not that I did. If you want to chance The Lookout, get the disney/buena vista edition.
I DO recommend this movie, just not the echo bridge version.

Last edited by Scarriere; 04-19-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: I am better informed now
Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #17
Banned

May 2008

Quote:
Why would I be disappointed?
because if it's a one disc release, it's entirely likely to be a BD25 cram job, with lossy audio, and even worse video. i'd call that a disappointment, personally. even with a BD50, they can still drop lossless audio, because, well, they're imbeciles.

i don't know about you, but quality matters to me.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
because if it's a one disc release, it's entirely likely to be a BD25 cram job, with lossy audio, and even worse video. i'd call that a disappointment, personally. even with a BD50, they can still drop lossless audio, because, well, they're imbeciles.

i don't know about you, but quality matters to me.
I was simply making an educated guess as to how they might be released nothing more. Their single releases are already disappointments; are any of those current single releases even on BD50? Initially I was going to pick up quite a few of their releases but given the current state of releases I'm not planning on doing that anymore. Unless for some odd reason their next releases are much better.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #19
Banned

May 2008

Quote:
I was simply making an educated guess as to how they might be released nothing more. Their single releases are already disappointments; are any of those current single releases even on BD50? Initially I was going to pick up quite a few of their releases but given the current state of releases I'm not planning on doing that anymore. Unless for some odd reason their next releases are much better.
no, no BD50's.

additionally, their next slate is probably already made, and was before reviews even came out on this wave. takes a while to make them discs. they don't disappoint people overnight.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

So, has anyone been able to get a copy of it?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America