Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Expert Member

Sep 2010
Alaska
Default what is the best program for a laptop to watch blu rays?

Hello. I just got a sony vaio F series.I'm still messing around with it but was wondering if there's a better program to watch movies on it?The picture looks great and all but wondering if I should be looking at different program?Thanks.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DinAK View Post
Hello. I just got a sony vaio F series.I'm still messing around with it but was wondering if there's a better program to watch movies on it?The picture looks great and all but wondering if I should be looking at different program?Thanks.
ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre and PowerDVD i think. If you need it to be free then perhaps Media Player Classic/Home Cinema (<-run the biggest sized file in the directory..bdmv->stream). The cccp codecpack has mpc included. You can update mpc and ffdshow with an newer compile on top of that if you want to -> http://www.xvidvideo.ru/

Tweak it to make it a little easier on the laptop using this tutorial -> http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/
PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Reciever/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B

Last edited by spaceape; 04-21-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #3

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceape View Post
ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre and PowerDVD i think. If you need it to be free then perhaps Media Player Classic/Home Cinema (stream).
I have a Toshiba L650-16W with Blu-ray drive but Media Player Classic doesn't work with BDs. Actually, only the original built-in software seems to work (CorelWinBD or something like that) :/
Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruko View Post
I have a Toshiba L650-16W with Blu-ray drive but Media Player Classic doesn't work with BDs. Actually, only the original built-in software seems to work (CorelWinBD or something like that) :/
Then you properly need the codecs in the cccp pack or just use the media player classic home cinema version. Cccp is very small in size so it's not bloatware like the k-lite codecpack and others.

Edit: You wont be able to view any bluray menu on mpc/hc i believe. But at least it will play the m2ts files.
PJ: JVC DLA-X30 (w/ DVDO iScan Duo, i1 Display Pro & Darbee DVP5000), Elite Spectrum 125" Speakers: B&W CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5, 2x SVS SB12-NSD, 3x Clark TST209 Bluray Player: Denon DBP-4010UD AV Reciever/Amp: Denon AVR-4311 (w/ MultEQ Pro, FBQ1000 & Premium + Dayton EMM-6), Dayton SA240-B

Last edited by spaceape; 04-21-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #5

Dec 2008

I have a Vaio F series i7 laptop and it came with Win DVD BD and I trialed both Arcsoft Total Media and Also PowerDVD 10 and in the end I bought the PowerDVD as it worked the best for me and I liked it the best. Windvd BD works, but it was slow to start up and Powerdvd 10 has a faster startup and it has more features. I still have both programs installed on my laptop, but I find I only use Powerdvd 10. I had a sound issue with Arcsoft occasionally the sound wouldn't work and I would have to close the program and restart it to get the sound back. Not sure what the issue was and i didn't spend time figuring it out as I decided I liked Powerdvd the best anyway and purchased it.

Since then I upgraded my laptop's HDD drive to a SSD drive and reinstalled Win7 64 bit and I still ended up installing both Windvd bd and Powerdvd 10 back on the laptop and I have watched several Blu-rays with Powerdvd, but I've yet to watch a Blu-ray with Windvd. I would uninstall it, but I keep it just in case a certain disc gives me an issue with Powerdvd.

I routinely hook my laptop up to my downstairs TV with an HDMI cable and watch Blu-ray movies and it looks perfect. It's nice to have a laptop that is also a portable Blu-ray player. I have a standalone BD player that I use upstairs so no need to hook the lappy up there. Another great software to have on your laptop is Anydvd HD. It eliminates any issues you might have with protected discs and region code issues. And the Rip to Image option is nice if you want to put a bunch of movies on an external drive and just take the portable drive with you instead of packing a bunch of Blu-ray discs.

Last edited by MaximusBlu; 05-03-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software