COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Blue Ruin (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The First Season (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Drive Hard (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA
Default Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D

Just got back from seeing this at 9 pm in XD 3d tonight! The movie was a ridiculous amount of fun and Bayhem at some of it's finest! The 3d is also some of the best native 3d I've ever seen, and it's strong 3d for just about the whole runtime imo and it actually eclipses some issues I had with the sometimes flat shots of Transformers 3 (still one of the best 3d movies out there though imo). There are some flatter shots here and there, but the strong shots are plentiful and just stunning to look at. Seriously hope I get to see this in true IMAX 3D on 4th of July next week

P.S. I saw the final trailer for Dawn of the planet of the Apes, and I have to admit I'm feeling a little disappointed in the 3d. I don't think it's bad, but it's a little worrisome to me that they aren't taking full advantage of the 3d cameras when I started to see much stronger 3d shots toward the end of the trailer during the action sequences. I'm still going to see it in 3d though, and am psyched for it after finally watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes a week or 2 ago and being so impressed with it.

Also got the new Hercules 3D trailer and HOLY COW the 3d is strong and the conversion work is amazing! Can't wait to see it! Looks amazing!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

There are several pre-orders for Transformers 4 up today:
The regular 2D release
The Amazon exclusive with statue
The Best Buy exclusive steelbook
The Target exclusive Optimus Prime case
but no 3D pre-orders
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Old 06-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

I read this was shot for IMAX in 4K with a brand-new IMAX 3D camera. Does that mean that the film has IMAX-exclusive wider-aspect-ratio footage like Star Trek:Into Darkness did? Will it switch back-and-forth between ratios or will the entire film be in the wider IMAX ratio? I'd be interested in seeing this at an IMAX in 3D if it was worth it - but I hear lots of IMAX films are nicknamed liemax because it's just converted to the IMAX format, not shot for it. Any information on this?

How do I find out if my IMAX is a true IMAX theatre? My local IMAX is listed as 1570+DIG. I've heard this means that it isn't a true IMAX screen. Very confusing.

I did find this posted elsewhere on this site back in 2012:

"If a theater is listed as only 15/70, then it was originally designed as a giant screen to show educational movies (like science documentaries). These theaters will offer the biggest IMAX experience.

If a theater is listed as DIG, then it is one of the smaller lieMAX screens.

If a theater is listed as both 15/70 and DIG, then it was once a digital-only lieMAX screen that has now added a film projector."

I don't know if that statement is accurate or not. I also called my local IMAX and they said it was being projected digitally. They said everything is digital. Will all IMAX theatres be projecting this as digital? How is it a liemax if digital is how the film is meant to be seen? I thought this film was made for IMAX, so why would a 1570+DIG screen not be okay?

Last edited by mar3o; 06-27-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Expert Member

Apr 2012

Think I may see this today. Hope its great.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

I found this quote by Michal Bay on the best theatre to watch this in:

"The best way to see this movie is definitely in IMAX 3D.

By far.

Why? Because for one, we did technically-excellent 3D in this film. We conceived and shot this movie with 3D cameras. So many movies use 3D as an afterthought.

We also are the first movie in the world to shoot with the new IMAX digital 3D camera. The ‘Age of Extinction’ was formatted for 2.40 for normal theaters. What makes the IMAX version of this film so different is that 60 percent of the movie opens up and fills the whole IMAX screen. It makes Transformers 4 such an immersive experience."

According to this list:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...=14&dg=feature

My local IMAX is real, not a "lie-max". Still confused.

Last edited by mar3o; 06-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwerk View Post
There are several pre-orders for Transformers 4 up today:
The regular 2D release
The Amazon exclusive with statue
The Best Buy exclusive steelbook
The Target exclusive Optimus Prime case
but no 3D pre-orders
I noticed that as well. Hopefully they don't end up doing what they did Dark of the Moon. It was a great release, but hopefully we won't have to wait this time.
Last Watched: Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Episodes 3 & 4) | Iron Man 3
Last Bought: Sons of Anarchy: Season Six | The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 06-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
I noticed that as well. Hopefully they don't end up doing what they did Dark of the Moon. It was a great release, but hopefully we won't have to wait this time.
Part of me is worried that's exactly what's going to happen. But it just came out in theaters today, so I'll try and be patient
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Called my local IMAX and they claim it is only a 2k projector. But then I'm not even sure if I can believe them. I called 2 Jordon's Furniture IMAX's and neither of them even knew if they were 2k or 4k. From what I'm reading IMAX uses two 2k projectors, which still gives only 2k resolution. I read a lot of comments about people seeing the grid lines and jaggies on the screen, and smudgy images with little detail. My IMAX is pretty large actually - 61.0 x 81.0 feet. This seems awful large for 2k. On the one hand I'd love to see the alternating aspect ratios, but I don't wanta lousy 2k presentation. Why would Michael Bay recommend seeing it in the IMAX if most IMAX theatres are only 2k digital?

Last edited by mar3o; 06-27-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Called my local IMAX and they claim it is only a 2k projector. But then I'm not even sure if I can believe them. I called 2 Jordon's Furniture IMAX's and neither of them even knew if they were 2k or 4k. From what I'm reading IMAX uses two 2k projectors, which still gives only 2k resolution. I read a lot of comments about people seeing the grid lines and jaggies on the screen, and smudgy images with little detail. My IMAX is pretty large actually - 61.0 x 81.0 feet. This seems awful large for 2k. On the one hand I'd love to see the alternating aspect ratios, but I don't wanta lousy 2k presentation. Why would Michael Bay recommend seeing it in the IMAX if most IMAX theatres are only 2k digital?
They used IMAX equipment, so the version with alternating aspect ratios will be shown only in IMAX theaters.

It's frustrating since this would've been a good opportunity for IMAX to start using their new laser projectors, but I guess those aren't ready yet.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Hopeless. I just can't get any accurate information on my local IMAX. I found an article on bloomberg.com about my local IMAX re-opening back in 2012 and it says "Cinemas 16 and Imax now offer digital projection featuring Sony Digital 4K.". I called back my IMAX and they asked the manager and the manager insists it's only 2k. So I give up. Either the article got it wrong or the manager doesn't know what he's talking about. Both are plausible.

Last edited by mar3o; 06-27-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2014

Quote:
Hopeless. I just can't get any accurate information on my local IMAX. I found an article online at digitalcinemareport.com about my local IMAX re-opening back in 2012 and it says "Cinemas 16 and Imax now offer digital projection featuring Sony Digital 4K.". I called back my IMAX and they asked the manager and the manager insists it's only 2k. So I give up. Either the article got it wrong or the manager doesn't know what he's talking about. Both are plausible.
They may be using Sony 4K projectors in all the auditoriums except the IMAX one, which will be using IMAX's proprietary side-by-side 2K system.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
They may be using Sony 4K projectors in all the auditoriums except the IMAX one, which will be using IMAX's proprietary side-by-side 2K system.
Here's the quote from a 2nd article I just read that states the IMAX itself was equipped with a 4k projector:

"The facility has been equipped with a new IMAX digital screen, as well as a 32,000 watt advanced sound system following the makeover. Its lobby area too, has undergone an overhaul. The lobby now comprises a new concession facility sporting digital menu systems. The revamped theatre has further installed an advanced digital projection sporting Sony Digital 4K.The project had a duration of two years. National Amusements has also carried out renovations to Cinemas 16. The project included refurbishment of its lobby area, as well as installation of the latest digital projection system consisting of Sony Digital 4K."

This is the second article on the revamp of the theatre, and both say the IMAX has 4k. This article mentions 4k for both the IMAX and regular Cinemas 16 screens. Yet I just spoke with the manager and she checked and said it was 2k only. I don't understand.

I read terrible comments about IMAX 2k so I really don't know what's best now - regular theatre with 4k digital or IMAX with 2k. IMAX gives me the IMAX aspect ratio but lousy 2k digital. The regular theatre would miss out on the expanding aspect ratio.

Last edited by mar3o; 06-27-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2014

Quote:
Here's the quote from a 2nd article I just read that states the IMAX itself was equipped with a 4k projector:

"The facility has been equipped with a new IMAX digital screen, as well as a 32,000 watt advanced sound system following the makeover. Its lobby area too, has undergone an overhaul. The lobby now comprises a new concession facility sporting digital menu systems. The revamped theatre has further installed an advanced digital projection sporting Sony Digital 4K.The project had a duration of two years. National Amusements has also carried out renovations to Cinemas 16. The project included refurbishment of its lobby area, as well as installation of the latest digital projection system consisting of Sony Digital 4K."

This is the second article on the revamp of the theatre, and both say the IMAX has 4k. This article mentions 4k for both the IMAX and regular Cinemas 16 screens. Yet I just spoke with the manager and she checked and said it was 2k only. I don't understand.

I read terrible comments about IMAX 2k so I really don't know what's best now - regular theatre with 4k digital or IMAX with 2k. IMAX gives me the IMAX aspect ratio but lousy 2k digital. The regular theatre would miss out on the expanding aspect ratio.
There's nothing to not understand. Unless an IMAX theater is using a 15/70 film projector, it's gonna be side-by-side 2K. The lady on the phone was correct when she told you that the IMAX is 2K.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:43 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
There's nothing to not understand.
GT+DIG
15/70+DIG
15/70
IMAX SR
2x 2k

Nope, nothing to be confused about.

Quote:
Unless an IMAX theater is using a 15/70 film projector, it's gonna be side-by-side 2K. The lady on the phone was correct when she told you that the IMAX is 2K.
So then is Transformers 4 even being sent out on film at all, or is it all digital? According to Michael Bay, he recommends seeing it in Imax. But why recommend it in IMAX 2K when we can see it look better in 4k at any Showcase Cinemas? Is this film being sent out to IMAX in both 2k digital and film, and we just need to find a 15/70 film IMAX? Or is it all 2k digital? Is there no such thing as 4k digital IMAX?

I know I'm not the only one confused by all this. I'd like to figure this out by tomorrow afternoon so I know which theatre to see this in. My choice is either a 2k digital IMAX 3D or a 4k Sony digital Showcase Real-D.

According to http://www.bigmoviezone.com/filmsear....html?uniq=852, Transformers 4 is available in both formats (if I understand this correctly):

Format: 15/70, Digital

My IMAX used to be 15/70 but they were "upgraded" to 2k digital 2 years ago. When I called they said everything is digital now.

Last edited by mar3o; 06-28-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:19 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

On a related note I just learned that the aspect ratio for IMAX digital is 1:9:1, not 1:44:1 like full-scale 15/70 IMAX. I'm not convinced that 2k digital will look good on a 61.0 x 81.0 foot screen.

According to some specs on the camera used for Transformers 4:

"Exclusively in IMAX® theatres, sequences filmed with the IMAX® 3D Digital Cameras will be presented in a 1.9:1 aspect ratio – offering moviegoers 26% more of the image than standard cinemas for a truly immersive IMAX® 3D experience."

Last edited by mar3o; 06-28-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 AM   #16

Dec 2009
Las Vegas, NV

There are very few 15/70-only IMAX theaters left. We're talking single-digit locations at this point. About 50-75 locations have been setup for a "rail" system. This includes the ability to play IMAX releases in film or digital. Everything else is digital.

Later this year, IMAX will begin to switch their theaters to laser projection (dual 4K projection). Interstellar will be the final theatrical film released in 15/70 IMAX.

As far as I know, Paramount is sending Transformers: Age of Extinction in IMAX digital only.

Also, IMAX digital is NOT 1.9:1. IMAX digital projection can range anywhere from 1.7:1 to 2.1:1 depending on the location and if that was an auditorium that was retrofitted post-IMAX going digital. Theaters that were originally 15/70 that have now gone digital usually project in 1.7:1 (as they're still using their original 1.4:1 screens). Newer retrofitted auditoriums will be anywhere from 1.7:1 to 2.1:1 depending on the size of the auditorium and what screen they were able to fit in there.

Transformers: Age of Extinction was shot on a multitude of formats and cameras, including 35mm (Bay's personal preference). Digital cameras record in native 1.78:1. If Paramount opts for shifting aspect ratios on the Blu-ray, expect 40% to be in 2.35:1 and the other 60% to be in 1.78:1 similar to the Wal-Mart exclusive edition of the second film.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:02 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Interesting information. So then is it better to see this in a digital 2k IMAX, or a standard 4k Real-D Showcase? Since my IMAX was an older 15/70 before conversion to digital, it may open a bit wider for the 60% that was shot in IMAX. But the big question is how will 2k look on a large screen like that? I'm used to seeing amazing IMAX 3D documentaries on that screen back when it was film. I did see Polar Express and Christmas Carol in 3D on that screen and they were incredible, but I think those were both film. I don't think I've ever seen 2k in this IMAX and I'm kinda scared after reading so many comments about seeing the grid lines and pixels, especially since this is a pretty large screen.

EDIT: Just read that there's no such thing as 4k digital Real-D, only 2k. This thread:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=227723

says all digital 3D is currently 2k. Is that correct? If so, would it even matter if I saw it at IMAX or Real-D? I understand IMAX is brighter thanks to the dual projectors. But what about the claims that 2k IMAX has visible grid lines and pixel gaps?

I also read that some 2k IMAX digital screens end up showing the films windowboxed because the digital projection can't fill up the entire width of the screen. Has anybody experienced this?

Last edited by mar3o; 06-28-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:19 AM   #18
Expert Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
But why recommend it in IMAX 2K when we can see it look better in 4k at any Showcase Cinemas?
Because, like the vast, vast majority of films, Age of Extinction was only mastered in 2K. There is no 4K version. So even if you saw it on a 4K projector, it wouldn't make a difference.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #19

Mar 2010

and fyi... the film is super bad... I like the previous 3 but this is disjointed, terrible acting, horrendous product placement and a plot all over the shop.

But if you like short shorts and blowing sh*t up go see it.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
and fyi... the film is super bad... I like the previous 3 but this is disjointed, terrible acting, horrendous product placement and a plot all over the shop.

But if you like short shorts and blowing sh*t up go see it.
Just like the other 3
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies