Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #1

May 2009
London, UK
Default Avatar 3D - When will the retail version be released?

just saw over at ezydvd that rumour has it that Avatar 3D will be given a retail release in March 2012

hope this is true

Last edited by Deciazulado; 08-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008

I expect it to come around that time. Im expecting the retail 3D version of Avatar to come out around the time of the theatrical re-release of Titanic to tie in
3D: Cause two eyes are better then one
Deleting posts is like burning books
Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 AM   #3

May 2009
London, UK

i'm guesing they'll release the same barebone version that Panasonic were offering.

i'll be keeping my 3 disc set for the time being
Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob View Post
i'm guesing they'll release the same barebone version that Panasonic were offering.

i'll be keeping my 3 disc set for the time being
Actually I heard that they were planning on releasing the extended cut in 3D for the general retail version. Im sure they will want to give people who own the Panasonic version a reason to double dip as well remember
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
Actually I heard that they were planning on releasing the extended cut in 3D for the general retail version. Im sure they will want to give people who own the Panasonic version a reason to double dip as well remember
I hope so, because the stampede/hunting scene in 3D in the special edition was pretty cool.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:53 PM   #6

Oct 2010
Send a message via MSN to RHellgren

They'll probably release several super-mega-3D-special-editions...

And I'll probably buy one or two of them, so I see it as something positive
I'll be disappointed if they at least don't release a nice lenticular slip or a steelbook..
Old 10-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #7
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
And for some who bought the smaller Panasonic sets, a SINGLE-DIP, the lousy cheapskates.

(Seriously: I'm caught between the cool 3-D imagery at home, and the fact that once the characters open their mouths, I'd just be reminded it was the Corniest Movie Ever Made.....3-D early-adoption is a frustrating conflict of loyalties.)
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
(Seriously: I'm caught between the cool 3-D imagery at home, and the fact that once the characters open their mouths, I'd just be reminded it was the Corniest Movie Ever Made.....3-D early-adoption is a frustrating conflict of loyalties.)
Avatar is visually a triumph of cinematic technology

However as a story its as mediocre as they get. Even story-wise its great compared to much crap that comes out these days like Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, Pirates of the Carrebean On Stranger Tide, or The Last Airbender. But Avatar is stunningly predictable and the characters are incredibly one dimensional and its totally disrespectful to the military. Its obvious little thought was put into Avatar's story beyond the basics.

Its hard to hate on Avatar too much because its success has been primarily responsible for the breakthrough of 3D. It was stunning enough that even numerous terrible conversions couldn't create a bad taste in peoples mouths enough to overcome. I just hope that such great 3D will be used for better stories in the future
Old 10-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #9

Mar 2011

Quote:
it wouldnt surprise me if they just release the same one in march and then release the extended version in 3d around christmas time next year. that way they would be able to get everyone to double dip. i still havent bought the extended version but have the original blu-ray release and the 3d panasonic version. won't buy another until they do release the extended version in 3d.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #10

Mar 2011

Quote:
Avatar is visually a triumph of cinematic technology

However as a story its as mediocre as they get. Even story-wise its great compared to much crap that comes out these days like Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, Pirates of the Carrebean On Stranger Tide, or The Last Airbender. But Avatar is stunningly predictable and the characters are incredibly one dimensional and its totally disrespectful to the military. Its obvious little thought was put into Avatar's story beyond the basics.

Its hard to hate on Avatar too much because its success has been primarily responsible for the breakthrough of 3D. It was stunning enough that even numerous terrible conversions couldn't create a bad taste in peoples mouths enough to overcome. I just hope that such great 3D will be used for better stories in the future
i loved the movie but it just reminded me of a live action/cgi version of every anime movie out there.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syxxpac View Post
it wouldnt surprise me if they just release the same one in march and then release the extended version in 3d around christmas time next year. that way they would be able to get everyone to double dip. i still havent bought the extended version but have the original blu-ray release and the 3d panasonic version. won't buy another until they do release the extended version in 3d.
Wouldn't surprise me too much. What do you expect from a guy who says discs are wasteful and that we need to live with less? Thats right release more versions and maximize your profits of course

James Cameron is the biggest hypocrite that has ever crawled on Planet Earth
Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Shouldn't this be available to the public by now? Or is this going to be a "Star Wars"-type release - wait till everything has been released on 3D blu-ray and then finally release the movie that started it all?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #13

Mar 2008

Hate to burst any bubbles, but I've been hearing pretty consistently from Panasonic reps that you probably won't see a general retail release until Holiday 2012 (and since PHL does all of Fox's 3D BD product, they're usually pretty in-the-know). While Panasonic's exclusive ends in February 2012, that doesn't necessarily mean Fox will rush to release it immediately after the exclusivity period (see Dreamworks titles; Samsung's exclusivity ended ages before we got the Best Buy exclusives we have now).

I do hope that the General 3D release will include the extended cut in 3D. Have had the 3 Disc set, but haven't watched it yet because I usually favor the 3D version.

Honestly, I'll be happy if it gets released in 2012 at all. I guarantee there are a few suits at Fox who think it would be wiser to hold back the general 3D Blu-ray release until the marketing ramps up for Avatar 2 (after all, larger install base means more $$$- that's why Star Wars just got released this year on Blu-ray).
3DTV: Panasonic TC-P50VT20, Blu-ray Disc Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT300, DirecTV HR24, Xbox 360 120gb Elite, Sony STR-DG810 Receiver with Sony Satellite Speakers and Subwoofer
Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #14

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Shouldn't this be available to the public by now? Or is this going to be a "Star Wars"-type release - wait till everything has been released on 3D blu-ray and then finally release the movie that started it all?
It has been available too buy but you have to buy a samsung 3Dtv also..they paid fox so they could have a two(?) year exclusive deal. Though this has back fired as lots of people are annoyed about these types of deals.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #15

Mar 2008

Panasonic actually.

I doubt the deal has "backfired" on anyone. 3D doesn't yet have a huge market segment, so while it annoys a few of us early adopters, the sad fact is that the studios probably make more money from the exclusivity deals than from actually selling the content (even at a price premium). One benefit of the exclusivity deals is that the Manufacturers do pick up the cost of mastering, so it does make it easier for the studio to release it once the exclusivity period is up.

Notice, however, that all of Dreamworks titles went from being Samsung to Best Buy exclusives? That Harry Potter is also a Best Buy exclusive? If the studios thought they could make enough on a general release, they'd release them to all the outlets they could. The fact that they're not means that they have to look at other ways to subsidize the discs until the format really takes off. I definitely think that retail exclusives are better for consumers than manufacturer ones. But you can't blame the studios for trying to make money any way they can. They're a business, and they all get up and go to work in the morning for the same reason we all do.
3DTV: Panasonic TC-P50VT20, Blu-ray Disc Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT300, DirecTV HR24, Xbox 360 120gb Elite, Sony STR-DG810 Receiver with Sony Satellite Speakers and Subwoofer
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #16

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunZenBomZ View Post
It has been available too buy but you have to buy a samsung 3Dtv also..they paid fox so they could have a two(?) year exclusive deal. Though this has back fired as lots of people are annoyed about these types of deals.

i think you meant panasonic. you dont have to buy their tv to get it. you can just as easily buy a 3d blu ray player for $100 and sell it for just as much or maybe even $80 and get the movie for free or fairly cheap. just have to send in the rebate form and wait a few weeks.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBlu-ray View Post
Notice, however, that all of Dreamworks titles went from being Samsung to Best Buy exclusives? That Harry Potter is also a Best Buy exclusive? If the studios thought they could make enough on a general release, they'd release them to all the outlets they could. The fact that they're not means that they have to look at other ways to subsidize the discs until the format really takes off.
Although, ironically, the long-run effects are KEEPING the format from taking off--
Most mainstream buyers aren't aware of 3-D disks available on the shelves, and likely think that the only way they can buy the three movies available is to shell out the extra expense for glasses, even if they don't need them.

Although Disney used Alice in Wonderland to boost Sony, they've used their old birth-of-Blu-ray tricks to keep their 3-D disks of Tangled and Christmas Carol out front on mainstream shelves, to hopefully give people the idea that the format is already "common" enough to see the disks anywhere you go.
The pricing is still tricky (the early costs of mastering, not to mention all those d**n 4-disks), but the first battle is still acceptance.
The companies want sales recouped quickly on the hardware, and the history of failed formats says, that's NOT how it works.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #18

Dec 2011

I am also sick of the exclusive deals, especially the BB ones who over charge for any 3D content. This totally takes away from competition in the market and cranks up the price. Until prices become more reasonable, the 3D format will suffer. I am very picky on how much I will pay for 3D movies. With the loads of 3D TV's sold over the holidays, you would think there would be a lot more titles available in retail stores. Me thinks greed is at play here..
Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alioke View Post
I am also sick of the exclusive deals, especially the BB ones who over charge for any 3D content. This totally takes away from competition in the market and cranks up the price. Until prices become more reasonable, the 3D format will suffer. I am very picky on how much I will pay for 3D movies. With the loads of 3D TV's sold over the holidays, you would think there would be a lot more titles available in retail stores. Me thinks greed is at play here..
There are those so called, "experts" that say 3D will be a thing of the past this year or next, but for my 2 cents, they are the ones that can't wipe their asses with toilet paper. I have read at a few places online that 3D will not go too much further. Not sure why these people are saying that, but it would be a crime to allow 3D go down the tubes at this stage of the game. After all, how will we approach "holograms" if we don't continue to advance in technology and how are we to advance if we don't have the mula to support engineering? If they stop making 3D blus, then there won't be any mula for advancing in technology. I am all for 3D, I think 3D is here to stay and those that believe 3D will die before its time, they are the ones that never get laid. The ones that support 3D will advance to holograms and I will be one of those that get to see the first movie using hologram technology.
Blu-ray Player/s: Sony BDP-S6200, BDP-S790, BDP-S780, BDP-S770 and BDP-S1
PS3: PlayStation 3 Console 60GB Hard Drive
Audio1 : Pioneer SC-57 (9.2)
Speakers: BOSE Acoustimass 16 Series II
Audio 2: BOSE 3𠂹 Series II DVD Home Entertainment System (which is in the whoopee room)
Video 1: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 1080p 3D LCD HDTV
Video 2: Samsung LN52B630 52 1080p LCD HDTV (which is also in the whoopee room)
Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Although, ironically, the long-run effects are KEEPING the format from taking off--
Most mainstream buyers aren't aware of 3-D disks available on the shelves, and likely think that the only way they can buy the three movies available is to shell out the extra expense for glasses, even if they don't need them.

Although Disney used Alice in Wonderland to boost Sony, they've used their old birth-of-Blu-ray tricks to keep their 3-D disks of Tangled and Christmas Carol out front on mainstream shelves, to hopefully give people the idea that the format is already "common" enough to see the disks anywhere you go.
The pricing is still tricky (the early costs of mastering, not to mention all those d**n 4-disks), but the first battle is still acceptance.
The companies want sales recouped quickly on the hardware, and the history of failed formats says, that's NOT how it works.
Ain't that the truth... I can say for sure, Walmart doesn't know about 3D. I can go to any one of 4 Walmarts that are within a 20 mile stretch and can verify that I've never seen a 3D movie in any of the stores. However, you can order them from Walmarts online store... big frigin deal. You play the same price as if you were going to Best Buys to buy a 3D moodee.
Blu-ray Player/s: Sony BDP-S6200, BDP-S790, BDP-S780, BDP-S770 and BDP-S1
PS3: PlayStation 3 Console 60GB Hard Drive
Audio1 : Pioneer SC-57 (9.2)
Speakers: BOSE Acoustimass 16 Series II
Audio 2: BOSE 3𠂹 Series II DVD Home Entertainment System (which is in the whoopee room)
Video 1: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 1080p 3D LCD HDTV
Video 2: Samsung LN52B630 52 1080p LCD HDTV (which is also in the whoopee room)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies