Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Terminator: Genisys 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.94
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.33
Katy Perry: Part of Me 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Lion of Judah 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.94
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Gamer 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.15
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Life of Pi 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 07-15-2010, 04:56 AM   #1

Jun 2009
Huntington Beach California
Default Official Full HD 3D Blu-ray Movie "Wish list" Thread

What movies do you want to see on Blu-ray 3D
The jabroni beating, pie eating, trail blazing, eye brow raising, the best in the present, future and past, and if yall dont like me you can kiss the peoples ass!

Last edited by The Rock; 03-01-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #2

Jan 2008
NC

Friday the 13th Part 3 3D
Jaws 3D
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Dial M for Murder
My Bloody Valentine 3D
The Final Destination
Polar Express
How to Train Your Dragon
Despicable Me
The Three Stooges 3D shorts; there were 2
Haunted Castle
A/V Equipment
LG 79UB9800 Television, Onkyo TX-NR757 7.2 Receiver Samsung UBD‑K8500
2,792 Movies
Old 07-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #3

Jun 2009
Huntington Beach California

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat2 View Post
Friday the 13th Part 3 3D
Jaws 3D
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Dial M for Murder
My Bloody Valentine 3D
The Final Destination
Polar Express
How to Train Your Dragon
Despicable Me
The Three Stooges 3D shorts; there were 2
Haunted Castle
+ 1 on Despicable Me
The jabroni beating, pie eating, trail blazing, eye brow raising, the best in the present, future and past, and if yall dont like me you can kiss the peoples ass!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

I understand there were quite a few Hollywood classics that were produced in 3D in 1952 - 1953 and then died in 1954 when wide screen CinemaScope took over. Not just B movies in black and white, but technicolor, for example Kiss Me Kate. Most theaters would only be able to show the 3D in anal-glyph, but there were a couple of rare theaters in major cities, like New York, where they could afford the two projector - polarized glasses - type of 3D. THIS kind of film I would like to see restored on Real-D 3D Blu-ray and would be thrilled to view it for the first time in its original 3D production and buy a copy for my just-started 3D collection.

Paul

Last edited by Paul H; 07-15-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
I understand there were quite a few Hollywood classics that were produced in 3D in 1952 - 1953 and then died in 1954 when wide screen CinemaScope took over. Not just B movies in black and white, but technicolor, for example Kiss Me Kate. Most theaters would only be able to show the 3D in anal-glyph, but there were a couple of rare theaters in major cities, like New York, where they could afford the two projector - polarized glasses - type of 3D. THIS kind of film I would like to see restored on Real-D 3D Blu-ray and would be thrilled to view it for the first time in its original 3D production and buy a copy for my just-started 3D collection.

Paul
None of the "Golden Age" 3-D films of the 50s were exhibited in anaglyph in their initial runs. Theaters either ran them in dual-35mm polarized 3-D or else simply ran them "flat" (2-D).

It's also a myth that only theaters in large cities showed these titles in 3-D. Even modest theaters had two projectors in their booth, so the only extra costs were for the silver screen and polarizing filters. There were plenty of 3-D titles exhibited in small towns. Interestingly, dual-35mm projection did require every show to feature an intermission since both projectors were utilized and the maximum reel size could only hold about an hours worth of footage.

Later inferior anaglyph transfers for television broadcasts are part of what gave 3-D such a bad reputation.

Last edited by JamesN; 07-15-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Thanks given by:
Widescreenfilmguy (03-09-2016)
Old 07-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
None of the "Golden Age" 3-D films of the 50s were exhibited in anaglyph in their initial runs. Theaters either ran them in dual-35mm polarized 3-D or else simply ran them "flat" (2-D).

It's also a myth that only theaters in large cities showed these titles in 3-D. Even modest theaters had two projectors in their booth, so the only extra costs were for the silver screen and polarizing filters. There were plenty of 3-D titles exhibited in small towns. Interestingly, dual-35mm projection did require every show to feature an intermission since both projectors were utilized and the maximum reel size could only hold about an hours worth of footage.

Later inferior anaglyph transfers for television broadcasts are part of what gave 3-D such a bad reputation.
Thanks for the corrections. "Initial-runs" is likely the key-word here.

I remember personally, only seeing "Creature from the Black Lagoon" as part of a double feature and I was very young. Was that shown in small towns with analglyph glasses?

I personally feel that many people will be waiting to see the "Golden Age" films as they were originally intended in 3D.

Paul

Last edited by Paul H; 07-15-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Thanks for the corrections. I remember personally, only seeing "Creature from the Black Lagoon" as part of a double feature and I was very young. Was that shown in small towns with analglyph glasses?
It was re-released theatrically (along with It Came From Outer Space) in anaglyph back in the 70s (I think). I've seen both titles in dual-35mm, but I have friends who saw the analglyph runs and tell me they were well-done. There were also anaglyph VHS versions of these two titles which look terrible.

Quote:
I personally feel that many people will be waiting to see the "Golden Age" films as they were originally intended in 3D.
Paul
I agree wholeheartedly!

Last edited by JamesN; 07-15-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #8

Oct 2009
teh desert

I'll take anything at this point. I just ordered the Imax grand canyon 3D. I really want Coraline and Avatar most though. I think UP would look tremendous in 3D too.
Samsung UN55C8000 3D led
Pioneer elite pro 710
Samsung 40" lcd
Deff tech 5.1 system
Xbox 360 120gig
PS3 160gig
Toshiba HD-A3 and 100 hddvds
Old 07-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Clarksville, Indiana

Beowulf
The Final Destination
How To Train Your Dragon
Toy Story 1,2,3
Polar Express
Monster House

Harry Potter: The Order of the Pheonix & Superman Returns - Both of them had IMAX 3D scenes

Last edited by Propellarhead9; 07-16-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:22 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

If there one was thing I liked about the (admittedly mostly bad) Last Airbender movie, it was the 3D. I felt a lot more comfortable withi it than I thought I would, especially one that was done later in the production. I hope it's poor box office performance and reviews doesnt keep a 3D release away, because I'd definitely buy one!

Good call on Harry Potter and Superman Returns, Propellarhead. When thinking about 3D releases, I alwasy forget those had parts in 3D!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:00 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
R-Point

Avatar and possibly a 3D convert of Lilo & Stitch.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:46 AM   #12

Feb 2010

3D Blu-ray wish list:

Starwar 1,2,3
Jurassic Park 1,2,3
Titanic
GOEMON (Japan)
IP MAN 1,2 (Hong Kong)
ONG BAK 1,2,3 (Thailand)
Shadowless Sword (Korea)
Old 07-18-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrun View Post
3D Blu-ray wish list:

Starwar 1,2,3
Jurassic Park 1,2,3
Titanic
GOEMON (Japan)
IP MAN 1,2 (Hong Kong)
ONG BAK 1,2,3 (Thailand)
Shadowless Sword (Korea)
I don't suspect we will see such titles for Blu-Ray 3D in a very long time. Reason none of those titles exist in 3D. Quality conversions take six months to a year to complete and cost over $110,000 per minute. Most movies make up for these costs with theatrical 3D premiums. However the Blu-Ray 3D market is much too small for this alone to make up conversion costs. I think it will be years before we see any titles converted to 3D just for Blu-Ray.

Titanic is the title on the list you will see the soonest in Spring 2012. Though the movie will be re-released in 3D theatrically first before any Blu-Ray 3D comes out.
3D: Cause two eyes are better then one
Deleting posts is like burning books
Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #14

Jan 2008
NC

For me personally, I only want 3-D movies that were made in 3-D. The conversion movies do not look as good.
A/V Equipment
LG 79UB9800 Television, Onkyo TX-NR757 7.2 Receiver Samsung UBD‑K8500
2,792 Movies
Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat2 View Post
For me personally, I only want 3-D movies that were made in 3-D. The conversion movies do not look as good.
Conversions can be awful when rushed and/or cheaply done

However when done right some conversions can look almost as good as native 3D material. Alice and Wonderland and The Nightmare Before Christmas looked pretty damn good in 3D. I say that when its possible to shoot in 3D thats the best option but I love that there is a realistic chance of seeing old movies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings in 3D.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (09-27-2016)
Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #16

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
I don't suspect we will see such titles for Blu-Ray 3D in a very long time. Reason none of those titles exist in 3D. Quality conversions take six months to a year to complete and cost over $110,000 per minute. Most movies make up for these costs with theatrical 3D premiums. However the Blu-Ray 3D market is much too small for this alone to make up conversion costs. I think it will be years before we see any titles converted to 3D just for Blu-Ray.

Titanic is the title on the list you will see the soonest in Spring 2012. Though the movie will be re-released in 3D theatrically first before any Blu-Ray 3D comes out.
Some old movies were not shot in 3D, then it needs some conversion to 3D. It's quite expensive that making 1 minute 3D conversion costs $110,000? WOW! So one two-hour movie would cost $13,200,000 in 3D conversion. Is there any company who can provide cheaper 3D conversion?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrun View Post
Some old movies were not shot in 3D, then it needs some conversion to 3D. It's quite expensive that making 1 minute 3D conversion costs $110,000? WOW! So one two-hour movie would cost $13,200,000 in 3D conversion. Is there any company who can provide cheaper 3D conversion?
Yes but there are dangers in doing it cheap. Go watch Clash of the Titans or The Last Airbender in 3D to see what I mean (or better yet don't). If you want converted content that can look anywhere near native 3D you need lots of time and money.

I suspect things will change over time. As the home 3D market grows and new digital technlogy makes conversion costs better and cheaper I suspect we will see more and more old movies in 3D. However similar to colorizing Black and White movies some will view this as perverting old movies and adding something to a movie that was never meant to be there. Personally i don't have a problem with colorization as long as the original black and white version is preserved and the same for 3D converted movies since all 3D discs have a 2D option. For the next few years I suspect the Blu-Ray 3D format will be limited to native 3D content (that includes all computer animated movies) and movies converted for the theatres. Since the studios already invested in making them 3D for the theatre it only makes sense to try to continue to profit from the 3D after the movie has left theatres.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #18

Jul 2010

Pirates XXX - 3D

ascendedcobra - Where did you order your Grand Canyon Rivers 3D title from ?and how much ?

Last edited by venomxx; 07-22-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #19
Power Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascendedcobra View Post
I'll take anything at this point. I just ordered the Imax grand canyon 3D. I really want Coraline and Avatar most though. I think UP would look tremendous in 3D too.
"I'll take anything at this point." He, heeee. You speak for many a 3D fan sir. I also want Coraling very much. Saw it in a 4K theater and haven't been the same.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
Power Member

Jun 2010
MY

Yep, I want Coraline and Ice Age 3
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Tags
3d blu-ray wish list