Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$17.00
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$25.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.69
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Goodbye to Language 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.35
The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.39
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase Two Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$169.99
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 06-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2011
The Citadel
Default We need more 3D HORROR!

Where are all the 3D horror releases this year? This sucks. last year we had some good ones, especially Texas Chainsaw 3D. IMO horror is a prime genre for 3D and I'm saddened by the fact that there don't seem to be many/ any 3D horror releases on the horizon. What's going on? I've got a handful of low budget 3D horrors so it's not as if film makers can't afford to put out a 3D horror movie. Especially one's that have studio money behind them.
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."

Last edited by levcore; 06-10-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #2

Dec 2012

This year I think there's only been Nurse, Argento's Dracula, Hellbenders, the 10 minute black and white sequence of the 2d Flesh and Blood Show and I Frankenstein.

Last edited by robtadrian; 06-10-2014 at 01:17 AM. Reason: added drac
Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtadrian View Post
This year I think there's only been Nurse, Argento's Dracula, Hellbenders, the 10 minute black and white sequence of the 2d Flesh and Blood Show and I Frankenstein.
And of those you mentioned...imo...Nurse was the better 3D presentation.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Where are all the 3D horror releases this year? This sucks. last year we had some good ones, especially Texas Chainsaw 3D. IMO horror is a prime genre for horror and I'm saddened by the fact that there don't seem to be many/ any 3D horror releases on the horizon. What's going on? I've got a handful of low budget 3D horrors so it's not as if film makers can't afford to put out a 3D horror movie. Especially one's that have studio money behind them.
We do need more 3D horror!! Revenge Of The Creature Of The Black Lagoon, Friday 13th 3D, Jaws 3D...would be a great start
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Thanks given by:
FelixFlankin (06-11-2014), luv2shop (06-18-2014), robtadrian (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygan315 View Post
And of those you mentioned...imo...Nurse was the better 3D presentation.
The cinematography and 3D were great, the film wasn't unfortunately. I've now sold my copy on.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #6

Jun 2012
Omaha

I second Revenge of the Creature for 3D Blu-ray.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
We do need more 3D horror!! Revenge Of The Creature Of The Black Lagoon, Friday 13th 3D, Jaws 3D...would be a great start
I'm still waiting for a Freddy's Dead single release in 3d as well... even if it is only for the last 10-15 minutes of the film. Hell Freddy's Dead and Friday the 13th Part 3 would make a great Bare bones Double Feature. (I'd prefer solo releases, but a 3D double feature of these 2 films at a budget $20 price might make more sense to Warner).
For Sale: Nothing at the moment.

The BD-R Releases Master List Thread
Recommend a Modern, Independent Horror Film Thread
My 2017 Purchases Thread
My 2017 Watched Films List
Thanks given by:
Shaggy1978 (08-16-2017)
Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

I fear that the lack of horror films we are getting is another sign that this wave of 3D has passed its peak and I'm saying that as someone who likes 3D and who especially likes 3D horror. Both Nurse 3D and Argento's Dracula were shot a couple of years ago when 3D was at its height and they have been sitting on the shelf since then. I, Frankenstein is really more of another comic book film, so that leaves next to no proper 3D horror produced recently. There also don't seem to be any releases of vintage 3D films coming up from major studios, just a few niche titles from smaller outfits and quality 3D conversions of classics like The Wizard of Oz and Jurassic Park have also dried up.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 06-11-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011
USA

I wish the upcoming 2014 The Evil Within had 3D in it. That movie was apparently based on a true story, and stars the guy who played the first Hulk movie with Jennifer Connelly. Forget his name at the moment. Bana is his last name I think.

I'd like to see the Exorcist in strong 3D maybe, though it's probably not a good idea to tamper with such a scary classic, though it would make it feel more real perhaps, and possibly scarier.

I think there may be smaller studio horror films that might have more horror 3D out there, but haven't had time to do any research on it. 3D costs twice as much time to produce, with twice as many assets and twice the amount of assembly, so it's a considerable investment to complete and arrange compared to a single movie file.

<One possible reason we're not seeing a lot of 3D horror, since horror movies generally generate fewer box office sales in main stream theaters.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

Dec 2012

I'm pretty sure there's going to be another Resident Evil as well as Texas CM and the Poltergeist remake is going stereoscopic I heard. The 50s Mad Magician may come out on Twilight Time. I'd really like to see a John Carpenter title as well as the Blob in 3d and a Columbia movie where the Torch Lady is zombified (love the Grudge 2, Zotz! and Strait Jacket torch lady versions).
Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtadrian View Post
I'm pretty sure there's going to be another Resident Evil as well as Texas CM and the Poltergeist remake is going stereoscopic I heard. The 50s Mad Magician may come out on Twilight Time. I'd really like to see a John Carpenter title as well as the Blob in 3d and a Columbia movie where the Torch Lady is zombified (love the Grudge 2, Zotz! and Strait Jacket torch lady versions).
Yes, Resident Evil 6 to conclude the series under Paul WS Anderson's control and starring Milla. After that, I'd guess they'll reboot the series.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Also - Parasite (another 80's 3D horror film with great 3D).
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (06-20-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
Poltergeist, Halloween 3 and Friday the 13th 2 are all upcoming 3D horror films. Amityville remake might be 3D but waiting for solid info on that one. 3D is still quite expensive and horror tends to be low budget fair So I can see why only the premium Horror franchises are getting the 3D treatment.
But if this is the case how come the majority of 3D horror movies i have are very low budget ones? How can they afford to shoot in 3D if it's so expensive? Julia X for example.
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Old 06-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
But if this is the case how come the majority of 3D horror movies i have are very low budget ones? How can they afford to shoot in 3D if it's so expensive? Julia X for example.
It's not massively more expensive to shoot a film in 3D, especially when shot digitally.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
Julia X is a cheap movie and it looks as cheap as it is. It's a DTV level movie with no effects shots probably.
Have you actually seen the movie? There ARE FX shots and the movie actually doesn't look that cheap, it's really nicely shot.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
It's not massively more expensive to shoot a film in 3D, especially when shot digitally.
Thanks for your answer Todd.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #17
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Poltergeist, Halloween 3 and Friday the 13th 2 are all upcoming 3D horror films. Amityville remake might be 3D but waiting for solid info on that one. 3D is still quite expensive and horror tends to be low budget fair So I can see why only the premium Horror franchises are getting the 3D treatment.
Amityville (which is a sequel to the 1979 original like Texas Chainsaw, not a remake) is definitely not in 3D unless they announce a conversion really soon. Shame though.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
It looks cheap to me like video. Looks like the original Red camera footage. Julia X was made when lots of studios were green lighting 3D based on big money 3D was pulling in. It was made also as a co-production with a company that makes 3D rigs so they got it much cheaper than other productions at the time.

A serious rig, all the extra equipment, the team of technicians, and the post production costs to use 3D it is still pricy. Not to mention expected revenue streams for 3D productions that is only accessible to high concept larger budget studio movies. Theatrical, global 3D Blu-Ray distribution and the limited 3D TV network broadcast rights available, all things that are untouchable by independent producers mostly as far as it stands now.
Thanks for additional info tigermoth and for elaborating a bit more.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
Power Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Friday the 13th:

Marketsaw: http://marketsaw.blogspot.com/2014/0...l#.U7QaxtKTfyA
Thanks given by:
Lovemy3D (07-04-2014), Taygan315 (07-03-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #20
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
FRIDAY THE 13TH 3 in 3D

http://www.importcds.com/movies/2540...e-13th-pt-3-3d
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies