Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Point Break 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
In the Heart of the Sea 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Martian 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$20.49
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.45
Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase Two Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$178.99
Jurassic Park Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Jean-Michel Cousteau's Film Trilogy 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Samsung Presents: IMAX 3D Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Ant-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 AM   #1

Jun 2008
Default Why isn't "Hondo" being released in 3D?

IMO, this is a bad indicator for our seeing other great 50's 3D classics being released on Blu-Ray 3D.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

A) Studios still aren't aware that 3D movies existed before Polar Express,

and

B) It would need remastering from print sources:
http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info.html
Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #3

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by therainberg View Post
Because it's expensive to restore them and the 3D isn't very good in any of them.
I don't know where you base your criteria.
The 3D is great in many of the 50's movies, like the House of Wax, Kiss Me Kate, Dial M For Murder, The Creature From the Black Lagoon, etc., etc.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #4

Mar 2012

Quote:
I've seen all the films you mentioned and the 3D gave me headaches in all of them. I had to take rests and drugs to make it through them. The older films had huge stereo bases and the filmmakers would constantly violate the correct distances at which to capture shots... among other problems. The movies do have some terrific looking shots in them in 3D, but they are few and far between.

The 3D in House of Wax knocks the socks off the 3D in any modern 3D movie!

Just my opinion.

House of Wax 3D on my blog

Personally, apart from Prometheus and a few other top drawer modern 3D movies, I am more excited by the prospect of 3D Blu-ray releases of House of Wax, Dial M for Murder and other classic 3D movies from the 50's (and the 80's) than any modern 3D films. I think the slower pace of these older films is a better showcase for 3D and allows the viewer more time to soak up the 3D depth of each scene.

Gae

Last edited by Gae; 03-23-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (02-11-2016)
Old 03-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #5
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae View Post
Personally, apart from Prometheus and a few other top drawer modern 3D movies, I am more excited by the prospect of 3D Blu-ray releases of House of Wax, Dial M for Murder and other classic 3D movies from the 50's (and the 80's) than any modern 3D films. I think the slower pace of these older films is a better showcase for 3D and allows the viewer more time to soak up the 3D depth of each scene.
Bob Furmanek, formerly president of the 3D Film Preservation Fund (now the 3D Film Archive), which restored the theatrical print of Hondo, now hangs out regularly on the Home Theater Forum, where he's the reigning expert on "Golden Age 3D".

As he puts it:
Quote:
We have a real chicken and egg situation with the Golden Age titles. I've had plenty of people tell me they will buy a 3-D Blu-ray set-up when some older titles are available, but the copyright holders are reluctant to proceed and spend money because the numbers are so low.
I can tell you from the work I'm doing on our titles; mastering and re-aligning in HD for dual-strip 35mm 3-D material is not cheap!
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (02-11-2016)
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Banned

Jul 2007

Looking back over the 3DFA's list of Golden Age titles, it's possible that there were actually MORE Westerns and Action-Noir produced for 50's 3-D than sci-fi/monsters, contrary to pop-myth.
(Which may be one of the things that killed it off--What do you "pop out" in a drama?)

Not saying that that's a bad thing, but it fits in more nowadays with the idea of 3-D being a "normal" way to watch a movie, and not some B-exploitation gimmick.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #7

Mar 2012

Isn't it about time the studios gave us something back and had a bit of faith in the consumer? I know that the movie studios are businesses but these movies need a wider audience to see them in 3D and I reckon in the end, it will work out as a good, positive step. No doubt there will be plenty of 3D doubters who would take the plunge if the classic 3D movies were released on the Blu-ray 3D format too. Also, isn't it important to preserve these films and keep them actively within the market place, rather than allowing them to just fade into obscurity and possible degradation in the archives? Don't studios have a responsibility to preserve and promote their own heritage too? Surely, its not always about money. The History and preservation of film (and classic 3D movies) has to be of more importance than purely monetary gain. Also, just like Scorcese, modern day film-makers could learn a lot from watching these classic 3D movies again.

Gae
Old 03-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Expert Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Because it's expensive to restore them and the 3D isn't very good in any of them.
For this title the title belongs to the Wayne family. They finished one restoration and showed it a few years ago. Not sure if it needs more restoration before going to Blu-ray in 3d. They are apparently only releasing a 2d version this year.

Last edited by Tns49; 03-25-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Surely, its not always about money. The History and preservation of film (and classic 3D movies) has to be of more importance than purely monetary gain. Also, just like Scorcese, modern day film-makers could learn a lot from watching these classic 3D movies again.
Maybe 10 to 15 years ago it was that way, before all of the vertical monopolization happened, it was that way. But not now... It's all about how you make money from sales. And to be brutally honest, outside of Dial M for Murder and the Creature from the Black Lagoon films, none of the older 3D films will sell enough copies to make it worth the money spent.

All the studios have people that care about preservation of their films, but they're fighting an uphill battle with their young marketing executives that probably can't even spell "film preservation" and generally cringe at anything made before 1990. (Plus, they'll completely throw up at the sight of a black and white film...)

fitprod
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #10

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
Maybe 10 to 15 years ago it was that way, before all of the vertical monopolization happened, it was that way. But not now... It's all about how you make money from sales. And to be brutally honest, outside of Dial M for Murder and the Creature from the Black Lagoon films, none of the older 3D films will sell enough copies to make it worth the money spent.

All the studios have people that care about preservation of their films, but they're fighting an uphill battle with their young marketing executives that probably can't even spell "film preservation" and generally cringe at anything made before 1990. (Plus, they'll completely throw up at the sight of a black and white film...)

fitprod

Sadly...it's so true.

Gae
Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Sadly...it's so true.
It's more a case of the fact that there are three things we all know about 50's 3-D:
50's audiences put on their red/blue glasses, and went to see cheesy low-budget 3D movies about flying saucers and gorillas in space helmets.
As a matter of fact, only ONE of those statements is actually true. (And Bob F. reports that the gorilla/space-helmet owner declined a restoration offer.)

The 3DFA did a major restoration on the desert adventure "Inferno", which is considered some of the best "serious" (ie., non-popout) 3D of the 50's, but is it the first movie that springs to mind for most fans, let alone execs?
We're lucky they remember House of Wax and Dial M, which, to be honest, are the first two 3D's people remember at ALL, outside of the 80's jokes.

We just need to get one OUT THERE and on the shelves. The discussion can come later, but we need something to show as illustration.
Even getting Mad Magician and the Stooges on hard copy would be something.

Last edited by EricJ; 03-25-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (02-11-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 PM   #12

Mar 2012
Boulder

Is there any news on this title? I'd love to see this on Blu-ray 3D!

Smithsonian 2012 article
Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 AM   #13

Oct 2013

It's available on the 3DGo streaming service.

No 3-D Blu-Ray yet.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #14
Special Member

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

I'd pre-order without thinking twice. Wish my Vizio supported the 3DGO app.
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones
Old 02-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #15

Nov 2014

It's unfortunate that even though it the Wayne estate had it remastered in digital 3-D, the bluray the studio released was 2d only.

- They lost a sale.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (02-12-2016), the13thman (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #16

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdimensional View Post
It's unfortunate that even though it the Wayne estate had it remastered in digital 3-D, the bluray the studio released was 2d only.

- They lost a sale.
They lost a lot of sales. I don't like John Wayne or his films but I would have bought this on 3D blu-ray no questions asked.
Thanks given by:
applemac (Yesterday), Interdimensional (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #17

Nov 2012

It was always fun, when I was growing up, to spend a couple of hours with John Wayne and it still is, occasionally. I like John Wayne and his films, especially his westerns. I found it aggravating that Paramount didn't release Hondo in 3-D. Gretchen has said "they don't want the 3-D version out for some reason." i bought the 2-d blu-ray because I really like the film and I wanted to see it regardless. But if it's streaming in 3-D now maybe a 3-D blu-ray will come in the next few years.

Last edited by Richard--W; 02-11-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Thanks given by:
applemac (Yesterday), ilovenola2 (02-11-2016), Interdimensional (02-11-2016), Paul H (02-12-2016), revgen (02-11-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies