Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$5.99
5 hrs ago
The Equalizer (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Secret of the Wings 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.99
12 hrs ago
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$34.49

Archer: The Complete Season Five (Blu-ray)
$19.99

American Sniper (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Blu-ray)
$4.99
27 min ago
The Expendables 3 (Blu-ray)
$15.00

Life of Pi (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8 hrs ago
ESPN Films 30 for 30: Five-Year Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
$99.99
5 hrs ago
The Interview (Blu-ray)
$13.59

The Lady From Shanghai (Blu-ray)
$8.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 10-31-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

Jun 2012
Dallas, Texas
USA Why is Disney not releasing 3D blu rays?

I cannot believe that Disney is still holding back on all their 3D releases in the US on blu ray! Planes Fire and Rescue is another title being short-changed. Frozen and Maleficent are both available on region free 3D blu ray from the UK. Why should we pay higher prices for imports when these films are popular here in the states.

Last edited by montyb; 10-31-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Forgot to state location.
Thanks given by:
wvl (11-06-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Suspended

Apr 2014

Low sales.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->152 VUDU------->319

Yeah, I think they are pulling them due to underwhelming sales numbers. So far we have missed out on Planes: Fire & Rescue and Frozen.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Special Member

Jun 2012

An ill-advised exclusivity deal with VUDU?
"Before we begin, you must all be warned: nothing here... is vegetarian." -- Dr. Hannibal Lecter
Old 10-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->152 VUDU------->319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinys Memory View Post
I won't be buying any 3D titles to stream. That's just beyond moronic in my opinion.
Thanks given by:
montyb (11-02-2014), mredman (11-02-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

it looks like it's in every other country basically.
god Disney is a bunch of morons at this point. I mean you're not going to release one of the biggest animated films you've had in decades on 3D in the US?
wow, bd really has peaked long ago.
how long until the format is dead? 1 more year maybe?
(oh I forgot, 4K bd to the rescue)
uhh sure.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Yeah, I think they are pulling them due to underwhelming sales numbers. So far we have missed out on Planes: Fire & Rescue and Frozen.
Maleficent?
Old 10-31-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

Quote:
And Maleficent. And arguably Need For Speed.

edit: ↑ beat me to it
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Old 10-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by F13BluRay View Post
Maleficent?
Maleficent and Need for Speed were both conversions.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

Quote:
So They were released in theaters in 3D and overseas in 3D.
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Old 10-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwerk View Post
So They were released in theaters in 3D and overseas in 3D.
Okay?
Old 10-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #12

Apr 2010

I called Disney when Maleficent was was still listed as region B on Amazon UK. I asked why no release in the USA? Was the release in the UK region free? Why a release in Mexico but not the USA? The customer service agent went away to ask for answers and when she came back she had no answer to any of my questions. If they have a marketing plan, no seems to know it.

So I know have Maleficent 3D to sit along my Frozen 3D and Oz 3D 2 pack, all from the UK on my shelf.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Most of the UK Disney releases are region free and available there even after they return to the Disney vault here. Plus some have alternate covers. Why not just buy from there if it is an option? Price wise, you probably won't pay more as you usually can get the blu-ray by itself instead of in the combo packs that we get here. not 3D but http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?rh=i%3Advd...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

It is like all studios - North America is where they make their money so they charge more and play games with the consumer that they won't elsewhere because they don't think we are smart enough to look at places like Amazon UK and find the exact same product for cheaper there. I am looking at Amazon UK more and more often because if I can find a couple movies I want, it is usually cheaper to buy them and ship them over than to buy them here(Universal Monsters, Superman set, James Dean collection for example). Plus they tend to get great sales that we don't get here(the Star Trek blu-ray sale).
Old 10-31-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinys Memory View Post
No, because you can buy 3D digital copies of Frozen, Planes: Fire & Rescue, and Need For Speed through Sony's Video Unlimited service on the PS3.

Vudu is not the only 3D digital format provider out there folks. It is simply due to sales numbers of already released 3D Blu-rays.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Maleficent was clearly shoot for 3d though and features native cgi (it is unclear to what degree though). The flying scenes where native though from what I have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
No, because you can buy 3D digital copies of Frozen, Planes: Fire & Rescue, and Need For Speed through Sony's Video Unlimited service on the PS3.

Vudu is not the only 3D digital format provider out there folks. It is simply due to sales numbers of already released 3D Blu-rays.
So how does releasing it in Mexico or Australia make sense then? It would seem their is more to it then a simple answer. I blame general incompetence though, it certainly fits Disneys recent release trends (missing lossless audio, horrid cropped transfers, increased prices less discs and content etc).

Maybe their trying to see what they can get away with before sales are affected.

Last edited by Suntory_Times; 10-31-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #16
Suspended

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
So how does releasing it in Mexico or Australia make sense then?
Whatever the market conditions are abroad, they can sustain releasing 3D BDs.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
Maleficent was clearly shoot for 3d though and features native cgi (it is unclear to what degree though). The flying scenes where native though.
No, you are mistaken. The entire film was shot in 2D digitally with the Arri Alexa cameras at 2.8K and then converted to 3D. The same cameras were used for Skyfall.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
No, you are mistaken. The entire film was shot in 2D digitally with the Arri Alexa cameras at 2.8K and then converted to 3D. The same cameras were used for Skyfall.
and how do you capture cgi with cameras? I never said the live action was native, and yes you can shoot for 3d in 2d. Several shoots in avatar are converted for example, or we could look at the live action elements in Gravity. The key is intention, Godzilla wasn't intended for 3d and was given a tacked on conversion. 3d was very clearly taking into consideration when making Maleficent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
Whatever the market conditions are abroad, they can sustain releasing 3D BDs.
It's big business and disney (who have always been 'funny' with there home releases), I think their is more to it then one factor like that.
Thanks given by:
Donat96 (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
it looks like it's in every other country basically.
god Disney is a bunch of morons at this point. I mean you're not going to release one of the biggest animated films you've had in decades on 3D in the US?
wow, bd really has peaked long ago.
how long until the format is dead? 1 more year maybe?
(oh I forgot, 4K bd to the rescue)
uhh sure.
So I gather the odds of seeing 4K + 3D discs are probably not good, huh.

No seriously, I was wondering awhile back whether 3D would be part of the 4K spec. But I guess that's a moot point, since studios like Disney probably wouldn't support it even if they had a quick and easy way.

It is pretty shocking they would draw the line at Frozen. That's like a big FU to anyone that's actually been supporting 3D. I realize the market is probably small, but damn... come on.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
So I gather the odds of seeing 4K + 3D discs are probably not good, huh.

No seriously, I was wondering awhile back whether 3D would be part of the 4K spec. But I guess that's a moot point, since studios like Disney probably wouldn't support it even if they had a quick and easy way.

It is pretty shocking they would draw the line at Frozen. That's like a big FU to anyone that's actually been supporting 3D. I realize the market is probably small, but damn... come on.
In terms of feature films only one 4k 3d film exists that I know of. Given tv manufacturers have been spending money on glasses free solutions for 3d I would be beyond shocked if 3d wasn't part of the spec. Their is really very little reason for it not to be. It is only one company in one market not releasing 3d blu-rays. Hardly a mass exile.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies