Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hotel Transylvania 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
8 hrs ago
Hotel Transylvania 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
10 hrs ago
Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.98
12 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.24

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.17

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Fascination Coral Reef 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 07-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel
Universal Studios The Great Wall (2017) Blu-ray 3D [Region Free]

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/28...all-first-look

The above article confirms this will be released in 3D February next year. It will be an epic historical fantasy monster movie from the director of hero House of Flying Daggers. It is the most expensive Chinese movie ever made.

I love stuff like this and absolutely love 47 Ronin (Japanese fantasy rather than Chinese) so I have very high hopes for this movie. Apparently the emphasis here is on the fantastical so that definitely peaks my interest.

I particularly like this quote from the director:

"The film takes place about 1,000 years ago. At its core, it is a period piece and an action film. The fantasy element does play a major role because of the monsters. But, what makes our film unique is that these are ancient Chinese monsters."

"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (07-28-2016), BleedOrange11 (07-28-2016), DB5 (07-28-2016), nycomet (07-28-2016), Taygan315 (07-29-2016), Zivouhr (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Thanks Levcore. I didn't know if this was going to be a historical film or fantasy genre film, but glad to hear it's going to have monsters/creatures and action in it. Plus in 3D. Hopefully, with a familiar theme, it does better than 47 Ronin 3D did with Keanu Reeves.

February 2017.
Thanks given by:
BleedOrange11 (07-28-2016), DB5 (07-28-2016), Taygan315 (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Wow, stunning trailer visually! Zhang Yimou is a great director. This is probably just a 3D conversion, but I think it will still be one of the best 3D movies of 2016-17, next to Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and Sword Master. It feels like the majority of the best 3D is coming from China now.
Vizio E3D420VX 3DTV, LG BP550, 160GB PS3, Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1 Home Theater, Sony MDR-DS7500 7.1 Headphones
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
Power Member

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Matt Damon?? Where is the Gods of Egypt-style outrage??
Old 07-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Wow thanks for the trailer Zivouhr, this looks absolutely cracking and has shot up to the top of my most anticipated for next year list. Everything in this trailer is right up my street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud_brigman View Post
Ha ha yeah exactly.
"Still in all, every night we does the tell, so that we 'member who we was and where we came from... but most of all we 'members the man that finded us, him that came the salvage. And we lights the city, not just for him, but for all of them that are still out there. 'Cause we knows there come a night, when they sees the distant light, and they'll be comin' home."
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #6

Aug 2015

looks great
Old 07-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

It does look promising, and for the 3D also with that arrow flying out of the screen as one example.

I can imagine there will be many of those lizard monsters attacking the wall. The monster lizard eyes look farther back from their jaws, so they don't look like Komodo Dragons or anything that lived on the earth. Relating to this fantasy story and not history, although it took them 1700 years to build the wall, they must have been anticipating this event, possibly when some kind of prophecy/portal would open up and the monsters would attack the land.
Thanks given by:
levcore (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

It would be great if the whole movie takes place on the wall or if it's almost a real time attack or something, Damon and Co. Having to protect the wall during a legendary siege or something.

Lots of potential and I can see this being the way forward for future Hollywood / Chinese productions. I think this is an exciting time for film production with different countries teaming up to entertain both of their markets. I'd much rather stuff like this than just making a Hollywood movie that features bits in China or a Chinese character like Transformers Age of Extinction or Independence Day Resurgence.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, USA ; I enjoy watching 3D blu-rays; 41 Blufans steels so far

Um, in this movie is Matt Damon supposed to be Chinese? In the trailer it looks as if his eyes have been narrowed down (almost like he is squinting). To me it looks bizarre.

That being said, I am extremely excited about this movie. Can't wait for the 3D Blu-ray!

BenQ HT1085ST 1080p 2D/3D DLP projector (135-inch 16:9 Silver Ticket screen)
EStar America ESG601 DLP Link 3D Glasses x 6
DarbeeVision DVP-5000 Darblet HDMI Video Processor
Sony BDP-S5200 Region Free 2D/3D Blu-Ray Player
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Receiver
Polk TL250 five-speaker set (1 center / 4 surrounds) + 2x Polk TL2 / Sony SA-W2500 100W powered subwoofer
4x ButtKicker Advance + 4x Buttkicker BKA300 amps installed in 4 recliners. Blufans VIP.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2015
Christ Church, Barbados

This should be a 3D galore.
"Fun isn't something one considers when balancing the universe. But this.. does put a smile on my face."
Old 07-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
Um, in this movie is Matt Damon supposed to be Chinese? In the trailer it looks as if his eyes have been narrowed down (almost like he is squinting). To me it looks bizarre.

That being said, I am extremely excited about this movie. Can't wait for the 3D Blu-ray!

It's an English language movie!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #12
Power Member

Jun 2014
-
-

Quote:

It will be so funny if he is supposed to be Chinese. They probably know this so one way they could make him fit is by making his character like a Chinese Quetzaloatl.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
It would be great if the whole movie takes place on the wall or if it's almost a real time attack or something, Damon and Co. Having to protect the wall during a legendary siege or something.

Lots of potential and I can see this being the way forward for future Hollywood / Chinese productions. I think this is an exciting time for film production with different countries teaming up to entertain both of their markets. I'd much rather stuff like this than just making a Hollywood movie that features bits in China or a Chinese character like Transformers Age of Extinction or Independence Day Resurgence.
Good point.

Quote:

He may be visiting from another region and lending a hand in the battle, having some special knowledge of how to defeat the monsters.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:40 AM   #14
Power Member

Jun 2011
Orlando, Fl

Quote:

That was my first thought also.
They should have just gone with steven seagal, no make up needed.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:51 AM   #15

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB5 View Post

The trailer looks great. And 3D suits this kind of movie perfectly.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2011
The Citadel

The below might be the reason for the presence of white characters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04 View Post
Another source says the film is about a group of 15-century British soldiers whose fates get intertwined with the construction of the Ming Dynasty portions of the Great Wall of China. Presumably they will play the British soldiers.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (08-09-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

Looks great!! Hope the 3D will be a good presentation. Visuals look as if they will.
PLEASE take a look at my NEW home theater gallery pics!!
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (08-09-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #18
Expert Member

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB5 View Post
That was my first thought also.

Just that fake hair.
Cinerama web site:
http://incinerama.com
Old 08-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #19
Special Member

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud_brigman View Post
Do a Google search of Matt Damon Great Wall and I bet all the articles will be about racism, whitewashing and the studio apologising.

Edit: I just followed my own advice and every article on the first page was about the outrage. I couldn't give a shit to be honest. Andy Lau is in it.
Thanks given by:
danoldrati (08-08-2016), ilovenola2 (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #20

Jun 2012

They had a 3D trailer for "the Great Wall" with "The Suicide Squad" and Matt Damon didn't look like he was Chinese to me. The Movie trailer had some very strong pop-outs.
Thanks given by:
BleedOrange11 (08-08-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies