Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$92.19
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Manhunter (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$25.87
Gamera HD Bundle Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
A Certain Magical Index II: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 12-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #201
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by umadbrah View Post
I thought Lion King 3D was pretty neat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner18 View Post
Lion king only 2 good 3d scenes that really wowed me it was I just want 2 be king and when it was raining at the end of the film
The Lion King looked amazing in 3D. It's a gorgeous film in both 2D and 3D.

However, since this thread is about "Best POP-OUT effects" I can only say that I noticed only one decent pop-out in The Lion King. It's a brief moment in the scene near the end of the movie when Simba returns to Pride Rock to confront Scar. Scar leaps at Simba -- For our point of view we see Scar's outstretched arms and claws thrusting out of the screen. If you blink you'll miss it.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #202
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
The Lion King looked amazing in 3D. It's a gorgeous film in both 2D and 3D.

However, since this thread is about "Best POP-OUT effects" I can only say that I noticed only one decent pop-out in The Lion King. It's a brief moment in the scene near the end of the movie when Simba returns to Pride Rock to confront Scar. Scar leaps at Simba -- For our point of view we see Scar's outstretched arms and claws thrusting out of the screen. If you blink you'll miss it.
The bird (Zazoo?) pops out at a few points in the film, most notably just before the King musical number.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #203

Dec 2011

Let me reply in 2 categories: First, for family movies I would rate TANGLED and THE LION KING as having some of the best 3D affects. Second, for limited audience movies I would give FINAL DESTINATION and RESIDENT EVIL AFTERLIFE my top picks and in that order BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and ALICE IN WONDERLAND family movies and PIRANHA and AVATAR limited audience movies would get honorable mentions. This is based on 18 titles in my collection.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 AM   #204

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanDrakeFan View Post
that's much more important than pop-out effects.
So because depth is more important to YOU others are wrong for liking the gimmicks? Are we not allowed to like or dislike whatever we want for whatever reason we want? I also happen to enjoy seeing things floating around the room and found Fright Night made great use of 3D, especially when Vampires would meet their demise. On the other hand I just went to see Adventures of Tin Tin in 3D and wanted to ask for $3 of my admission refunded because I felt that the movie would have been virtually identical in 2D. That's just my opinion and I believe I am entitled to it.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #205

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-ray-neil View Post
Let me reply in 2 categories: First, for family movies I would rate TANGLED and THE LION KING as having some of the best 3D affects. Second, for limited audience movies I would give FINAL DESTINATION and RESIDENT EVIL AFTERLIFE my top picks and in that order BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and ALICE IN WONDERLAND family movies and PIRANHA and AVATAR limited audience movies would get honorable mentions. This is based on 18 titles in my collection.
my only problem with Alice in Wonderland is it was converted to 3D and thus it loses a lot of it's beautiful colors while watching with the 3D glasses otherwise I agree it looks good. My favorite for 3D is Fright Night, I think it looks fantastic.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #206
Special Member

Jul 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand.

Of my limited collection I thought drive angry and piranha had cool pop out effects.
View my trade thread Here
Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #207

Jun 2009
Iowa

Might sound a little bad.. But, I gotta say.. My Bloody Valentine had some great effects for what it was.. It was the red / blue 3D. But, when that axe was thrown, even my wife jerked outta the way.

I hear Avatar is great in blu 3D. I have it, just haven't watched it yet.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #208

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochaliday View Post
my only problem with Alice in Wonderland is it was converted to 3D and thus it loses a lot of it's beautiful colors while watching with the 3D glasses otherwise I agree it looks good. My favorite for 3D is Fright Night, I think it looks fantastic.
I did not particularly like ALICE IN WONDERLAND in 2D, but I did find it very entertaining in 3D. I have a Panasonic 65VT25 television and a SONY BDP-S570 blu-ray player and found the colors to be absolutely stunning. I'll have to check the other threads to see if certain television set/player combinations reproduce the 3D colors better than others. For those wondering why I chose the Sony instead of the Panasonic. I bought my television during the time that there was a waiting list for the 65VT25 and while the store was willing to negotiate on the price and include the AVATAR/2 GLASSES combo pack at no extra charge, the free Panasonic blu-ray player was left for the smaller screen in stock televisions. Thanks for the Fright Night tip, I'll have to add it to my wish list.

Last edited by blu-ray-neil; 12-28-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake and did not reply completely.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #209

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleontongue View Post
Sammy's Adventure.. by far the best pop-out 3D disc ive seen so far
I just received this today. Absolutely stunning! It should be the first disc to show off 3D.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:53 AM   #210

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4lk View Post
I just received this today. Absolutely stunning! It should be the first disc to show off 3D.
Start with chapter 3 for your demo
Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #211
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4lk View Post
Start with chapter 3 for your demo
Lol that is my demo point as well! Then the octopus and then the snake and piranhas later on

The depth and popouts in chapter 3 are AWESOME!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #212

Nov 2008
Default Best 3D BR

In my opinion, Under the Sea 3D is by far the best to date in terms of 3D graphics. Very little ghosting, and you really feel like you are swimming through a reef etc at points. One scene has a huge Potato Cod (Grouper) literally in your lap! We find ourselves reaching out and trying to grab his big lower jaw heh heh. Also The IMAX Grand Canyon Adventure - River at Risk disc is fantastic. You will come upon a scene of a first person perspective being in a river raft in the rapids and you really start dodging the splashes...a a rule you cant go wrong with most of the IMAX 3D releases. I should also mention, Tahitian Wave 3D is excellent if you like surfing and / or islands / ocean types of documentaries. This disc was VERY well done. I can't stress that disc enough. As far as movies, I would have to recommend Disneys A Christmas Carol, which IMO is the BEST 3D MOVIE (not documentary) out there still. Very well done, and on large sets, you really are in the movie at times. The opening scenes flying over London, and some scenes later on really put you "in" the film. A little dark in places, but overall simply fantastic. Despicable Me is ok, great movie, but I felt that the 3D could have been touched up and more added. Same with Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Same thoughts there, as Despicable.

Some to avoid, again in my opinion:

Piranha 3D - last 1/4 of the movie is well done, first three are terrible!

Clash of the Titans 3D - seriously where is the 3D in this flick? - great movie, terrible 3D effects. (was so bad I tried to return it but they would only exchange for another of the same - boo!)

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 - save your money, flick isnt that great nor is the 3D, sadly.

If anyone has any suggestions for some other great 3D releases Id love to hear, the wife and I love to sit and watch on our Panasonic 65 inch and get lost for a few hours. What a blast.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #213

Jul 2008

G-Force 3D - Probably have the most incredible depth and pop-out effect I have seen so far on Blu-ray 3D. I really enjoyed this movie.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #214

Apr 2011
Upstate New York

Just saw Under the Sea on 3net (directv) and that potato cod scene is AMAZING! Probably the most impressive pop out I have seen yet on my 110" screen! It only is up for about 10 seconds but he keeps pushing further and further out of the screen! It's awesome pop out! Glad I dvr'd it!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #215

Oct 2011
Montreal,Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
IMAX Under the Sea, it's the best by far. A fish will literally come outa your TV right in your face. It's a must see.
thanks buddy, i heard alot of good stuff about that blu-ray. now i will just buy it since what u just said.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #216

Jun 2011
England
Send a message via Skype™ to BetterBeingBlu

Drive Angry has axes, bullet casings, blood and wood popping up, Monsters vs. Aliens has immediate pop out moments, Final Destination 5 is awesome for pop outs!
Old 01-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #217
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterBeingBlu View Post
Drive Angry has axes, bullet casings, blood and wood popping up, Monsters vs. Aliens has immediate pop out moments, Final Destination 5 is awesome for pop outs!
Agreed, that flick has some asskicking, blood splattering, not to mention a good story line too. I enjoyed watching this one. I've seen it 3 times since I've own it from the release date.
Blu-ray Player/s: Sony BDP-S6200, BDP-S790, BDP-S780, BDP-S770 and BDP-S1
PS3: PlayStation 3 Console 60GB Hard Drive
Audio1 : Pioneer SC-57 (9.2)
Speakers: BOSE Acoustimass 16 Series II
Audio 2: BOSE 3𠂹 Series II DVD Home Entertainment System (which is in the whoopee room)
Video 1: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 1080p 3D LCD HDTV
Video 2: Samsung LN52B630 52 1080p LCD HDTV (which is also in the whoopee room)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #218

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

I love a good pop-out effect; precisely because they're so infrequent. If there were one a minute, and things were constantly thrusting out of the screen in my face, I'd probably start to get a little distracted and annoyed. It's probably no accident that several of the movies with the most numerous pop-out effects are actually the worst in terms of story or character development; the pop-out is just about all they have that makes them worth watching or owning. I think that's probably why it's labeled by some as a "gimmick". While I wouldn't go so far as to call it a gimmick, I do think it's used to its best effect in moderation. Except perhaps for the horror genre, every scene of a movie isn't going to lend itself well to pop-out 3-D effects.

Disney 3-D movies are my favourite, though most aren't really heavy on pop-outs so far (they all tend to have a handful of really good ones, though); Pixar in particular uses it beautifully. I'm going to have to check out some of IMAX's offerings, though, after reading this thread.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #219
Expert Member

Aug 2009
Iowa

A lot of great suggestions here everyone.

I really need to start keeping up with this thread.

I have a bit of a stupid question here...Has anyone watched a 3-D film at a commercial theater and then later on 3-D BD? If so, was the 3-D the same as in the theater? Was it the same experience?

I am curious because I have not seen many 3-D movies at the theater due to not having a commercial theater equipped to show then within an hours drive from me.

In fact, I have only seen Shrek 4 and Rio at the theater in 3-D.
Other then the (few) 3-D BDs I own, I have only watched Drive Angry and Final Destination 5 via 3-D streaming on VuDu.
Blu since September 22, 2009.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #220

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
A lot of great suggestions here everyone.

I really need to start keeping up with this thread.

I have a bit of a stupid question here...Has anyone watched a 3-D film at a commercial theater and then later on 3-D BD? If so, was the 3-D the same as in the theater? Was it the same experience?

I am curious because I have not seen many 3-D movies at the theater due to not having a commercial theater equipped to show then within an hours drive from me.

In fact, I have only seen Shrek 4 and Rio at the theater in 3-D.
Other then the (few) 3-D BDs I own, I have only watched Drive Angry and Final Destination 5 via 3-D streaming on VuDu.
TBH it depends on your set-up. The larger the screen the better the experience normally. As you will be aware cinema screens fill your field of view therefore immersing you completely, whereas home viewing on smaller screens give more of a window effect as opposed to a whole immersive effect. I have a 42" screen and the home effect is very nice if I sit close enough. It's passive too so the 3D effect feels a lot like watching it in cinema, but of course the screen is nowhere near as big

Also what you have to also bear in mind is that some 3D TVs at the cheaper end of the market can have questionable 3D qualities.
LG 42LW550T, Panny DMP-BDT310, Onkyo TX-SR507, Energy Take Connoisseur Classic
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies