Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: 300: Rise of an Empire $6.96 (62% sold out, waitlist)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$7.99
14 hrs ago
Captain Phillips (Blu-ray)
$5.99
9 hrs ago
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$7.99
6 hrs ago
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Blu-ray)
$3.99
7 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie (Blu-ray)
$8.99
13 hrs ago
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$3.99
18 hrs ago
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The King's Speech (Blu-ray)
$3.99
14 hrs ago
You're Next (Blu-ray)
$5.99
12 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.99

Big Miracle (Blu-ray)
$4.00
8 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
Default Good News: Patton HD Remaster Coming in 2011

Good news, everyone. Digitalbits is reporting that 20th Century Fox is working on a new HD remaster of this wonderful film and that it won't be released until later this year:

Quote:
We've spoken with the good folks at 20th Century Fox and have learned that they ARE in fact working on a new HD master of Patton. It appears that it will NOT be included on the 5/10 Blu-ray re-issue of the title, however the studio tells me they ARE working to make it available on Blu-ray to all of you sometime before the end of the year. We'll post all the official details as soon as the studio provides them. Just know that a new remastered Blu-ray IS coming later this year and we'll let you know more when release plans are set.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->90 SteelBooks™--------->146 UV-------->284

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
Good news, everyone. Digitalbits is reporting that 20th Century Fox is working on a new HD remaster of this wonderful film and that it won't be released until later this year:
The master was flawless for the original BD release until DNR was added.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

It's pretty bizarre that they would re-release this disc twice in the same year Hopefully someone will check what's on the disc coming out May 10th in case Bill's source isn't correct about it.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Too bad they most likely won't offer an exchange program, but one can hope.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Suspended

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
If Universal can do it for Gladiator - a title which the studio did not consider to be defective in any way, don't forget - then Fox really should be doing the same for Patton.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

How can anyone say that this isn't great news? I think it is ... whatever the reason, we're getting a better improved version of Patton and I can finally get the chance to see one of my dad's favorite movies.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Agreed. Absent the PQ reviews I would have added this long ago. Depending on price and feedback I hope to be adding it in the not too distant future.

It's a great film.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
Carmel, IN

I bought the first Patton disc full well knowing the DNR issues. I got the disc very cheap, which is why I bought instead of rented. I had never seen this film, and was really looking forward to watching it. Now I don't notice DNR as much as the very well trained eye, but this film was so bad that it really detracted from the greatness of George C. Scott's performance. I for one am overjoyed by this news. I forget to check The Digital Bits every day so thank you Kemcha for reporting this. It's a great year for BD's.
“Reach out your hands. Out for the ones who, aid when the going gets rough. Until the end. These are the ones who, help when the times get tough. And times will get tough. Get up again.” -Flaw-
Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Power Member

Apr 2009

Fantastic news. I guess I will have to do away with my current DNR copy... Actually I will hold on to it in case they do an exchange program.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->90 SteelBooks™--------->146 UV-------->284

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefiftyrocket View Post
I bought the first Patton disc full well knowing the DNR issues. I got the disc very cheap, which is why I bought instead of rented. I had never seen this film, and was really looking forward to watching it. Now I don't notice DNR as much as the very well trained eye, but this film was so bad that it really detracted from the greatness of George C. Scott's performance. I for one am overjoyed by this news. I forget to check The Digital Bits every day so thank you Kemcha for reporting this. It's a great year for BD's.
Same here. I think I paid about $12 or so for it and I knew about the DNR debacle, but then again color saturation is greatly improved over the DVD.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
Carmel, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Same here. I think I paid about $12 or so for it and I knew about the DNR debacle, but then again color saturation is greatly improved over the DVD.
I had never seen the DVD so I wouldn't know. I've actually JUST started getting into classic films recently (when I was younger I was one of THOSE guys that couldn't sit through an "old" movie) and I heard how great this film was. I picked it up for about 5 bucks so even though its a WAX MUSEUM, its a BD for the price of a DVD so I couldn't pass it up. I will buy the remaster when its cheap and give this copy away to a friend or family member that wants it and doesn't care about the DNR.
“Reach out your hands. Out for the ones who, aid when the going gets rough. Until the end. These are the ones who, help when the times get tough. And times will get tough. Get up again.” -Flaw-
Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
Thanks for the updated information; I was thinking about purchasing this release but will now wait for the remastered version!
The Alamo, Black Rain (Jp), Far from the Madding Crowd, Gray Lady Down, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Interrupted Melody, Lust for Life, Mississippi Burning, Moby Dick (Gregory Peck), The Other Sister, Ryan's Daughter, Searching for Bobby Fischer, Sink the Bismarck, Swing Kids, Testament, Them, They Died With Their Boots On, The Thing from Another World, War of the Worlds (Orig.) & When Worlds Collide
Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
they did for Sunshine!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

In any event, don't let anyone tell you guys that this isn't a new master because Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits.com is reporting that Fox is working on a new HD master for this release. I would expect that this won't become available until around Christmas.

But, I'm glad I haven't broke down and purchased this just yet. I plan on waiting until the new HD master is released.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 AM   #15
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

The current release has gone on sale from anywhere to 8-10 bucks, on and off. It's well worth it at that price and if the new release is that much better, I'll just buy it and not care, since I only paid 10 dollars for the current release. (Which, I don't think is that horrid, in my opinion, but w/e)
"Does the Blu-ray version of '.......' look better than it's DVD version?"

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

I'm not going to completely discount the May 10 release just yet, until someone confirms its the old disc. The original source for the rumor said the May 10th disc is remastered, and clearly that rumor wasn't entirely meritless.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 AM   #17
Special Member

Oct 2007
Lawrence, KS

Awesome news! Hopefully it will be released in a Digibook.
100: An American Werewolf in London 200: Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog 300: The Sandlot 400: Citizen Kane (Digibook) 500: Brazil (Criterion) 600: Iron Man 3 (3D) 700: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (3D) (Steelbook)

On and ever upward.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxerunner View Post
Awesome news! Hopefully it will be released in a Digibook.
+1. I have been holding off just because I saw the current transfer and was none too pleased with the House of Wax look.
PS3/X360 Gamertag: Icedburden

Joe: But, you're *not* a girl! You're a *guy*, and, why would a guy wanna marry a guy?
Jerry: Security!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
I'm not going to completely discount the May 10 release just yet, until someone confirms its the old disc. The original source for the rumor said the May 10th disc is remastered, and clearly that rumor wasn't entirely meritless.
Yeah, it is curious why they would bother re-releasing the current encode on May 10th only to have a new encode coming out several months later. That would be a first if it happens.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:31 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Yeah, it is curious why they would bother re-releasing the current encode on May 10th only to have a new encode coming out several months later. That would be a first if it happens.
Probably was intended as a last-minute Father's Day cash-in by Fox before their contract with MGM ran out; at the time, everyone thought MGM would go back to Sony as part of the Bond 23 deal. Now that MGM has re-upped with Fox thru 2016, the improved Patton is back on the front burner; but it was too late to pull the May 10 release.
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 (w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, Hanns-G HL227, Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers, TMT 6, PDVD 11)
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch; Nook HD; Galaxy Tab 3 Lite; Moto G; iPhone 3GS
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America