Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
8 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
10 hrs ago
The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
8 hrs ago
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai
Default Which is the best Multi Region BD Player?

I have a PS3 which only plays Region B BDs. I saw some great movies here which are Region A locked and not available on Region B take Criterion Collection for instance so much great titles but all are Region A Locked.

So, can u guys please suggest me a BD player which can play both region A and B BDs without any problems and also play all of the extra contents of BDs. I have a 32 Sony Bravia so please suggest which works best and also please suggest me some well renowned company's product like Sony, Panasonic etc.

Thanks.

Last edited by kashif; 05-02-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Insignia NS-WBRDVD2. It's available at Best Buy but you need to enter a code to enable the region-free capability. It works like a charm and the player doesn't cause much problems. It costs around $129.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-ray Fanatic View Post
Insignia NS-WBRDVD2. It's available at Best Buy but you need to enter a code to enable the region-free capability. It works like a charm and the player doesn't cause much problems. It costs around $129.
The latest firmware (Feb 2011) disables the menu which allows you to change the region code. You have to install an older version of the firmware to retain that capability.

The Oppo BDP-93/95 can be made region free via a simple mod kit but they're much more expensive. You can also purchase quite a few hardware modded blu-ray players.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
The latest firmware (Feb 2011) disables the menu which allows you to change the region code. You have to install an older version of the firmware to retain that capability.

The Oppo BDP-93/95 can be made region free via a simple mod kit but they're much more expensive. You can also purchase quite a few hardware modded blu-ray players.
I'm aware of that update. If I was the OP, I would use the region-free player as an optional player. I've looked at the prices of those pre-chipped BD players on eBay and Amazon and they're pretty expensive. The Sherwood BD player is another cheap region-free BD player but I wouldn't count on them for performance.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
I'm aware of that update. If I was the OP, I would use the region-free player as an optional player. I've looked at the prices of those pre-chipped BD players on eBay and Amazon and they're pretty expensive. The Sherwood BD player is another cheap region-free BD player but I wouldn't count on them for performance.
Just posting for the OP's awareness. Apparently, the Insignia NS-BRDVD4 can also be made region free via the same method. However, it's suffers the same fate for the Feb firmware release.

This thread discusses places to get a region free player:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-pla...bd-player.html

The regionfreedvd.net site seems to have some low cost region free blu-ray players.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Just never update the player
Old 05-02-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
Power Member

Oct 2009

Will the Insignia models suffer badly in performance if you don't update the firmware?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Just never update the player
True and if the player comes with the latest firmware installed then all you have to do is download the previous firmware from the insigniaproducts.com web site; assuming it's still available at that time (it's currently there as I type this). The Insignia players are probably one of the lowest cost region free players you're going to find.

The Momitsu and Sherwood (a momitsu clone) players were both relatively cheap players with a region free hack but they also suffered the same firmware fate.

The only potential problem down the road is that the player may need a newer firmware update to player newer titles.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBonnet View Post
Will the Insignia models suffer badly in performance if you don't update the firmware?
The Insignia models are just as prone to the same vulnerabilities as all other players. You're almost guaranteed to come across some new titles, as time goes on, that won't play on the player until a newer firmware is loaded.

Last edited by rdodolak; 05-03-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Best Buy doesn't ship overseas though, if you're wanting to buy an Insignia player...
Old 05-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #11

May 2011

Hi all,
I found region free BD bluray players of all brands like Sony, oppo, pioneer, LG players in bluraymods.com with low cost and great service.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Like manicsounds said Bestbuy dosent ship overseas. i am a bit surprised to hear that there is only one Multi Region Player (Insignia) available! I mean is this illegal to make such a player which can play both regions? In case of DVDs there were players from famous companies like Sony etc so why not in case of BDs?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif View Post
Like manicsounds said Bestbuy dosent ship overseas. i am a bit surprised to hear that there is only one Multi Region Player (Insignia) available! I mean is this illegal to make such a player which can play both regions? In case of DVDs there were players from famous companies like Sony etc so why not in case of BDs?
The BDA license restricts manufacturer's from releasing region free players to include DVD. Manufacturer's releasing a player in violation of the license risk losing that license.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Here's one thread on the discussion of region coding.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-tec...ncoding-6.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Christie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post
Region locks are optional, and can't last for more than a year.

Sony has already stated its policy is to not use region codes on catalog titles. And deal with it on new releases on a case by case basis.

Since Sony is the most evil anti-consumer studio (), it follows the other angels will be even more anti-region code.
I have two questions...

1. What do you mean it can't last for longer than two years? Does that mean if I buy a region A disc now, even though it wont play now in my region B player, if I try playing it again in 2009 it will work? Can I just set the clock forward in my player?

2. What's a catalogue title?

Sorry for being retarded
1- All future pressings of a disc 1 year after release must be region free

2- A catalog title is any movie that is not a new release, ie Wild Hogs is a new release, Final Fantasy, catalog title
Point number 1 is interesting but I don't know if that still holds true or if that requirement has been changed since 4 years ago.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
I have a PS3 which only plays Region B BDs. I saw some great movies here which are Region A locked and not available on Region B take Criterion Collection for instance so much great titles but all are Region A Locked.

So, can u guys please suggest me a BD player which can play both region A and B BDs without any problems and also play all of the extra contents of BDs. I have a 32 Sony Bravia so please suggest which works best and also please suggest me some well renowned company's product like Sony, Panasonic etc.

Thanks.
Since your PS3 is region B I assume you're in Europe or Australia/NZ? Why don't you just buy a regular region A player, it would be much less expensive than a multi-region player? You have easy access to the region B players, so you really don't need a multi-region player, just region A. No reputable retailer will ship outside the US/Canada as it's a violation of their dealer license for the brand, but you could probably pick up a nice player in the Trading forum here, or on eBay.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Since your PS3 is region B I assume you're in Europe or Australia/NZ? Why don't you just buy a regular region A player, it would be much less expensive than a multi-region player? You have easy access to the region B players, so you really don't need a multi-region player, just region A. No reputable retailer will ship outside the US/Canada as it's a violation of their dealer license for the brand, but you could probably pick up a nice player in the Trading forum here, or on eBay.
Yes I like this idea. I should look for a Region A player for Region A BDs and my PS3 will play the rest.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Quote:
Yes I like this idea. I should look for a Region A player for Region A BDs and my PS3 will play the rest.
Forgot one thing - you'll most likely need a power convertor. Electrical power in North America is 110 volts, 60 Hz (cycles) and your electricity is probably 220 volts 50 Hz. A few models sold in North America can accept either, but most can only accept 110v 60Hz.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Forgot one thing - you'll most likely need a power convertor. Electrical power in North America is 110 volts, 60 Hz (cycles) and your electricity is probably 220 volts 50 Hz. A few models sold in North America can accept either, but most can only accept 110v 60Hz.
Nice avatar
Old 05-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #19

Mar 2011
Texas

Quote:
Nice avatar
I concur
Integra DTR-50.2
Polk LS90 Towers, CS350 Center, FXi A4 Surrounds
Epik Legend + JBL E250P Subwoofers
52" Samsung LN52B750 LCD Panel
Sony PS3 Slim 120 GB
ASUS EEE Box 1501
Universal Remote URC-R50
Bello AVSC-2055B Stand
Old 05-06-2011, 03:02 AM   #20

Oct 2008
Default Yes, simply get a pure Region A Blu-Ray player

I am in Canada Region A. I ordered online from that "jungle-river" UK site a SONY S570 Region B 3D Blu-Ray player. As to share "Why?". 'cos quite a lot of interesting and exciting Russian movies don't make it to North America. e.g. The Newsmaker - there is an American DVD version alright but stripped down to stereo 2.0. I would rather order from UK the blu-ray version and with DTS-MA.

As I checked ebay and other sources, the modified multi-region BD players are expensive, especially the 3D ones - good enough for you to buy one here local and order one from UK, and firmware update could be confusing and risky. For my case, I just need to download firmware from SONY-UK site.

Where are you? Try "jungle-river.com" the American site, they may ship overseas. And as a reminder, you will have to get a step-down 220v-to-110v transformer. In my case, I got a step-up 110v-220v transformer locally. Not too difficult to find.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Cooley; 05-06-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders