Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Old 05-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut
Default The Heartburn Thread

Dyrosis or indagestion was joke I would read about. It was always 'the other person's problem' - till I started getting it. Like its namsake, I thought it was something more serious.

I don't like taking over-the-counter meds and chemicals. They often fix the problem short term but cause other issues later on. Would like to go the all natural route. It's a common problem, so I'm sure lots of you have a list of foods that cause it, and others that cure it.

Bring on the home remedy!
Good PQ: HDMI > Component > S-video > Composite > Analogue RF; Screen Size + Viwing Distance + Source
Life is a unity of opposites - Craig
Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value: zero - Voltaire
You can never live your life to it's fullest by living according to someone else's definition of succes - Mark Fritz
The fastest way to be ignored by anyone is to start talking about something they don't care about - Josh Kaufman

Last edited by U4K61; 06-15-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Lexington, KY

Prilosec is the only thing that cures mine. Yes it's a pill a day but it works. If I run out, I can tell after a couple of days that it's run it's course cause the indigestion comes back with a vengeance.
"MIDNIGHT MADNESS" & "PLOTDIGGER FILMS" SUPER FAN

My profile on letterbxd.com

Plotdigger Films: 1 (blu) 11 (dvd) 3 (VHS)
Midnight Madness: 0 (blu) 2 (dvd) 2 (VHS) 1 (Beta)
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

Jan 2010
Oak Lawn, IL

Zantac and extra strength tums
Comfort the afflicted & afflict the comfortable
Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Lexington, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720pDude View Post
Zantac and extra strength tums
Zantac didn't help me for some reason. Tums however are my fallback when I run out of Prilosec until I can get to the store.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Massachusetts

Milk seems to help put out that midnight fire sometimes...
Old 06-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Lexington, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDon1969 View Post
Milk seems to help put out that midnight fire sometimes...
True.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Ruchman View Post
Dyrosis or indagestion was joke I would read about. It was always 'the other person's problem' - till I started getting it. Like its namsake, I thought it was something more serious.

I don't like taking over-the-counter meds and chemicals. They often fix the problem short term but cause other issues later on. Would like to go the all natural route. It's a common problem, so I'm sure lots of you have a list of foods that cause it, and others that cure it.

Bring on the home remedy!
If it's only happening at night you could try sleeping with the upper half of your body elevated a little bit, keeping your esophagus higher than your stomach. Also don't eat ANYTHING 2 hours prior to going to bed. When I encounter it I eat 1 tums, which is like eating some sidewalk chalk, and go back to sleep, very rarely does it get to the point of needing anything more than that, and I eat some stuff that you get heatburn just looking at I used to joke I could eat a sack of pennies now after all the stomach problems growing up, I am starting to think it may actually be true .

My lunch from today, large 5 way (spaghetti, chilli, beans, onion and extreme (habanero) cheese along with 2 coney's (onion, mustard and extreme cheese) all covered in hot sauce.

Bill
Wives and toddlers...can't live with them and people notice them missing.
Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous
Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Grandville MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFattBill View Post
If it's only happening at night you could try sleeping with the upper half of your body elevated a little bit, keeping your esophagus higher than your stomach. Also don't eat ANYTHING 2 hours prior to going to bed. When I encounter it I eat 1 tums, which is like eating some sidewalk chalk, and go back to sleep, very rarely does it get to the point of needing anything more than that, and I eat some stuff that you get heatburn just looking at I used to joke I could eat a sack of pennies now after all the stomach problems growing up, I am starting to think it may actually be true .

My lunch from today, large 5 way (spaghetti, chilli, beans, onion and extreme (habanero) cheese along with 2 coney's (onion, mustard and extreme cheese) all covered in hot sauce.

Bill
I got heartburn just looking at that picture!
BRGC Member / THE CLINTS CHARTER MEMBER 1/06/10
OBEY THE TOPUS
"Though he be but little, he is fierce." - Seabiscuit
"He laughs at fear, afraid of nothing. He cannot stand still when the trumpet sounds." -Secretariat

Et Earello Endorenna utulien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta
Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Lexington, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFattBill View Post

Bill
Minus the onions & that looks SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

I just started getting heartburn and more serious indigestion over the last 2 months. Not Cool. Milk, and Pills/Tums aside, Anything work? There's nights I can't even sleep from the burn =(
TV: LG42LM6200 3DTV / Panasonic Viera TC-P50UT50
Blu Ray Player: Seiki BD 660 / Sony BDP-S590
HTPC: Running Ubuntu w/ XBMC
Consoles: Wii / Xbox 360

I'm Ron Burgundy?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
I just started getting heartburn and more serious indigestion over the last 2 months. Not Cool. Milk, and Pills/Tums aside, Anything work? There's nights I can't even sleep from the burn =(
If I get it, I'll just tough it out. TUMS and other meds do nothing for me. Two months ago, I was getting it twice a week or so. By eliminating various foods, I discovered it was not the hamburgers, chips or a slice of pizza. It was...apple juice. Now it's once every two or tree months. I can live with that.
Good PQ: HDMI > Component > S-video > Composite > Analogue RF; Screen Size + Viwing Distance + Source
You can never live your life to it's fullest by living according to someone else's definition of succes - Mark Fritz
The fastest way to be ignored by anyone is to start talking about something they don't care about - Josh Kaufman

Last edited by U4K61; 08-05-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Lexington, KY

Just got a 42 ct. box of CVS brand Prilosec for $17.99! 14 ct. is $10.99

Old 08-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeeTx2012 View Post
Just got a 42 ct. box of CVS brand Prilosec for $17.99! 14 ct. is $10.99
Don't know about you, but those prices for OTC medication look pretty high to me. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to avoid the foods that triggered heartburn in the first place?

The only thing that seems to give me heartburn is really spicy stuff, i.e. anything flavoured with habanero peppers or hotter. I just avoid eating those foods, to be on the safe side.
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Ontario, Canada

I have been on Rabeprazole over the last year to control GERD. I was dead set against taking a daily pill, I try to stay away from prescription drugs as much as I can but my condition got too bad, to the point where it didn't matter what I ate or did not eat, throwing up in the mornings when I woke up and a week of an awful taste in my mouth.

Since going on that taste cleared in 2 days, no more heartburn, no more indigestion, no more nausea, and no more stomach pains.

I get a 3 month bottle of pills for $8.50 after my work benefit covers the other $52 or so.

- We are the plan... The plan is lamb.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #15
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_8ball View Post
I have been on Rabeprazole over the last year to control GERD. I was dead set against taking a daily pill, I try to stay away from prescription drugs as much as I can but my condition got too bad, to the point where it didn't matter what I ate or did not eat, throwing up in the mornings when I woke up and a week of an awful taste in my mouth...
I just noticed that your avatar is a perfect metaphore for someone who is wishing a really bad case would just go away.

Last edited by U4K61; 12-05-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #16
Special Member

Mar 2007
Connecticut

A list of home remedies:
  • A half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
  • Chamomile, Peppermint or Fennel tea.
  • Ginger Root.
  • Pineapple Juice.
  • Buttermilk
Old 06-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

I experience heartburn from some brands of orange juices, from some brands of tomato and BBQ sauses, and from wine, but that's about it.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 blu-ray player (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage