Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, From $3.99 »
Now: Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stol… $9.79 (99% sold out)
Soon: Despicable Me ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
5 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
True Blood: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
Downton Abbey: Seasons 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$39.99
8 hrs ago
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
8 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$31.99
8 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$11.99
5 hrs ago
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
2 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$31.99
8 hrs ago
Non-Stop (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Old 02-13-2014, 02:56 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Default Has anyone gone gluten free?

I'm just curious to know if anyone has celiac disease and has had to go gluten free because of it. I haven't been tested yet, but I think I might have it. I've been looking at the symptoms and I do have quite a few of them. I'm just wondering how hard it is to go gluten free. It's probably going to be hard for me because I'm not on any kind of strict diet right now. I know it's not really healthy, but I eat pretty much whatever I want. That's probably going to change soon. I need to start looking after my health.
BIG Pittsburgh Penguins and Chloe Grace Moretz fan!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2013
a desert

I don't think I have celiac disease but I am eating gluten free and it's awesome it's only been about two weeks, and the hardest part is finding the right deserts lol
Aldo Raine: Yeah, they made that deal, but they don't give a *frick* about him. They need you.
Hans Landa: You'll be shot for this!
Aldo Raine: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

Looking for True Romance French slipcover and a whole bunch more!
Sales/ Trade thread/ wants: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=233331
Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Power Member

Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN (USA)

In order to know for sure if you are a celiac, don't settle for just a blood test as they are not accurate. Instead you'll need a colonoscopy and perhaps also a endoscopy. My ex-wife, her sister and their father are all celiacs. A good buddy of mine is also a celiac.

The University of Chicago has a great program you may want to look into. On the site, look for the Gluten-Free Care Package Program to receive complimentary products and information (after being diagnosed).

Good luck.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, anoint my head, anointy-nointy.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

LeAnn has gone a gluten free diet the past year after receiving her allergy test. She thought she was pregnant at first but found out after the results was that all the wheat consumption that contains gluten was making her stomach upset. We've been buying a lot of gluten free items from grocery stores and even from WalMart and Amazon. It's good to know that slowly more and more restaurants are providing customers a gluten free menu.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:01 AM   #5

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCruz View Post
It's good to know that slowly more and more restaurants are providing customers a gluten free menu.
I have gone gluten free after finding out I am diabetic. It is part of my regiment to keep from having to take any medication or insulin.

I am leery of restaurants who claim to be gluten free. To many places have claimed to be, but later turn out not to be. Ingrediants are not the only thing that make something gluten free, it is also in the preparations. If a restaurants has to put up signs to remind employees to wash their hands, I really doubt the are properly trained in gluten free food preparation.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:52 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Gluten is too good to give up
Most films that I find good I don't want to experience again.

-iScottie
Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

Going gluten free sucks, but it's not impossible. My wife and one of my kids is GFCF (gluten free, casein free), which pretty much makes me gluten free too. My wife was tested for gluten, but it came back negative, so the tests don't always work.
I will say gluten free is much more mainstream than it used to be, so you should be able to go into most grocery stores, including Walmart, and find a small gluten free section. Even going out to restaurants is getting easier, but if you're severely intolerant, you might want to skip it. Some cooks are not trained in gluten free food preparation, or just don't care, and there is a lot of cross-contamination. Even so, you have options:

Dominoes and Pizza Ranch(is this a chain, or local?) have gluten free pizza crust
If you go to a fast food place, you can order a burger without the bun. The fries are generally potato based, not wheat, but are sometimes fried in an oil that contains wheat, so good luck
We don't drink beer, but I've been told that is available gluten free also.
If you can still handle dairy, your desserts will consist of ice cream, but not ice cream with oreos, cake chunks, etc...

If you, or anyone else, has any questions, you can PM me. I will help the best I can.

p.s. Gluten is wheat, barley, and rye. A lot of people don't know that, because they've never had to know it. But if you are going to find foods you can eat, you need to know what to look for. Also look for the words GLUTEN FREE on labels. Many companies are becoming much more accommodating this way.
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage