COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$12.98
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.78
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$22.98
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Jan 2009
PA
Default Why is grain heavier in darker scenes?

If this is in the wrong sub forum please move...

First, let me say I am not saying grain is good or bad...I am just curious why its not consistent. Did the director really want grain in some scenes and not in others??? Comments, opinions welcome.

This could be a stupid question, but I never really got a solid answer.

Also, why do some scenes have heavy grain and some do not...in the same movie!! For example, Public Enemies has extreme grain in some dark scenes and a clear crisp picture in other dark scenes.....also Green Zone is probably one of the most obvious movies that exhibits this. Some dark scenes are perfect...no grain whatsoever....20 seconds later there is a heavy layer of grain.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Short answer: it's harder to capture less light.
It may require the use of faster film stocks, which have larger, more light-sensitive grain, or push-processing the film to even faster speeds, which makes the image even grittier. Those scenes in The Green Zone are heavily pushed, and shot that way for aesthetic effect.

With movies shot with digital cameras, like Public Enemies, sensors have noise, and when you have very little light, the noise starts to overwhelm the image. For example, when you crank the sensitivity past ISO400 on your little digital camera, the image quality drops like a rock. Same with movies.
Public Enemies was also shot that way for aesthetic effect. They wanted to use minimal artificial lighting in those scenes.

Last edited by 42041; 06-06-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 AM   #3

May 2007
Texas

Battlestar Galactica was also shot that way. The extra noise makes everything look grittier. Some scenes look better than others when shot that way. Predator is an example where scenes were shot without enough light. Even seeing this film in the theater some dark scenes look like it was shot at 1600 ISO.
80 gig PS3 - Pany 36" CRT
Sony BDP-S350 - Sony 46" Bravia

Han doesn't care for HD-DVD
Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiano17771 View Post
If this is in the wrong sub forum please move...

First, let me say I am not saying grain is good or bad...I am just curious why its not consistent. Did the director really want grain in some scenes and not in others??? Comments, opinions welcome.

This could be a stupid question, but I never really got a solid answer.

Also, why do some scenes have heavy grain and some do not...in the same movie!! For example, Public Enemies has extreme grain in some dark scenes and a clear crisp picture in other dark scenes.....also Green Zone is probably one of the most obvious movies that exhibits this. Some dark scenes are perfect...no grain whatsoever....20 seconds later there is a heavy layer of grain.
Public Enemies was shot as though it looked like very cheap looking video. Oh wait it was and they should've shot it on film. Yes it does look horrendeous to me.
My DVD Collection (Keeping it separate.)
Importer supporter.
Film grain and original cinematic audio advocate. Anti-DNR/EE. To hell with DVD, UV & Digital Copy combos. Gimme Blu-ray disc ONLY!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebar View Post
Battlestar Galactica was also shot that way. The extra noise makes everything look grittier. Some scenes look better than others when shot that way. Predator is an example where scenes were shot without enough light. Even seeing this film in the theater some dark scenes look like it was shot at 1600 ISO.

I think I read somewhere that a lot of the Predator footage was reframed via optical blow-ups, because they didn't get the exact shots they wanted during the shoot, or something or other. I could be wrong but that would explain the heavy grain.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
Public Enemies was shot as though it looked like very cheap looking video. Oh wait it was and they should've shot it on film. Yes it does look horrendeous to me.
Director's intent and all that.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 06-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Special Member

Jan 2008
San Diego

Quote:

Tansformers was like that. The scene in the bedroom at night when Sam's parents catch Micaela with him has insane amounts of grain.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #8
Banned

Jun 2011

Are we sure everyone isn't confusing "dark scenes being granier" for "my tv can't handle dark scenes well so it degrades picture quality." I kind of think it's the former. Aren't LCD's really bad at dealing with dark scenes in general?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 06-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #10

Sep 2010

I love grain! But, Public Enemies looks like absolute crap to me. That ain't grain...it's noise.

I've got many of Michael Mann's films on blu-ray and none of them look as awful as that. Took me completely out of the film.

Not trying to start a war of words. Just my opinion.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America