Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit $6.00 (65% sold out)
Now: Silver Linings Playbook $6.00 (2 hours left)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
1 hr ago
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$15.49
2 hrs ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
1 hr ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.49
2 hrs ago
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Blu-ray)
$6.96
52 min ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
17 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
19 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.96
52 min ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
17 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #141

Jan 2012

^ Well, the 3D was there. The picture was just too dark and made things hard to make out. I haven't watched many 3D titles, but so far, this one has been the most shrug worthy in my opinion. It's not awful or anything, just underwhelming. I've also thought that I should probably adjust the settings each time I watch 3D, though. That might really make a difference. I just have a feeling I would forget to switch it back.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #142
Power Member

Nov 2009
-
-

I skimmed through this movie in 3D and I wasn't impressed. In scenes like the Frost Giants world in the beginning had very little of the 3D effect and because the image is darkened in 3D I would prefer to watch Thor in 2D. Perhaps a very bright projector might help this but...
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #143
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

The best 3D in Thor takes place during the daylight town scenes, particularly the scene where the robot terminator wreaks havoc on the town and Thor. Even so, Thor's 3D is not as weak as Clash of the Titan's 3D.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #144
Power Member

Nov 2010
Jackson, MS

Picked this up yesterday. I was debating between the 2D and 3D versions but the 3D was only $5 more so...what the hell.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie but the 3D was VERY lacking. I started the movie in 3D and things got off to a rough start. My biggest gripe being the horrible use of 3D during the darker scenes (in the land of the ice giants/night scenes)...it seemed to soften the picture and give it a very washed out look, blacks became grey and smudged, just VERY ugly to look at. After seeing this during the first 20 mins er so I took the 3D film out and stuck the 2D in and couldnt believe how much better the dark scenes looked...it actually had better "depth" in 2D than in 3D in moments like this. Once daylight scenes started popping up I put the 3D version back in and the picture cleared up quite a bit, it was sharper and more detail was present...but the 3D had a very flat look to it 3D objects in the film (people/foreground-background) popped out of the screen like cardboard cut-outs. Instead of giving off a natural sense of 3D depth it just look like flat people/objects standing an 1 or 2 off the screen. It looked really half-ass throughtout with the only decent 3D depth coming off some of the CGI heavy scenes like the metal giant terrorizing the town and even then its almost unnoticeable.

oh well. For PQ I'd say -- 2D is a 4.5/5, 3D is a 3/5, 3D effect - 1.5/5, Sound - 5/5, Movie - 4/5.

Good movie with horrible 3D. i dont regret spending the extra $5 for it but the 2D is the way to go.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 AM   #145

Nov 2009

I think i will pick up the 2d version and see how it looks with 2d to 3d conversion using my blu ray player,i did that with clash of the titans and it looked decent.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #146

Jun 2012

hi!
Since Paramount's movies distributor in my country (thank You very much, Imperial-Cinepix) decided not to release "Thor" BR 3D at all, I had to buy my disc in Czech Republic (their 2D+3D edition has polish subtitles).

Everything is fine except that the cover is in... Czech language.
Can't stand seeing this eccentricity it on my BR discs shelf (

Could anyone please scan & share his english language "Thor" 3D cover (300dpi most welcomed)?
Best,
RR
Old 06-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #147

Jun 2012

The graphics are out of this wolrd
Old 06-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #148
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Smile

I really don't see the complaints in this movie. It seems a lot of people will slag of the 3D if they know its a post convert. I think the tech is getting to the point where it would not make much difference soon. I really enjoyed this movie and can't understand people watching something in 2D if there is a 3D version.just seems so odd to me.Anyway.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #149
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
I really don't see the complaints in this movie. It seems a lot of people will slag of the 3D if they know its a post convert. I think the tech is getting to the point where it would not make much difference soon. I really enjoyed this movie and can't understand people watching something in 2D if there is a 3D version.just seems so odd to me.Anyway.
i watch thor in 2d eventhough i have it in 3d. the 3d is just not worth the effort of cleaning my glasses and hitting a few extra buttons. lazy i know but the 3d is just sad. i actually prefer to watch thor with motion flow on. it seems to be more 3d that way. i wish my tv could do motion flow and 3d at the same time. ok fire away.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #150
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck301 View Post
i watch thor in 2d eventhough i have it in 3d. the 3d is just not worth the effort of cleaning my glasses and hitting a few extra buttons. lazy i know but the 3d is just sad. i actually prefer to watch thor with motion flow on. it seems to be more 3d that way. i wish my tv could do motion flow and 3d at the same time. ok fire away.
No mate, no firing from me. If that's the way you enjoy it, its fine by me.
Can you explain what motion control though is? I'm not familiar with it..
Old 06-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #151
Special Member

Oct 2010

Quote:
No mate, no firing from me. If that's the way you enjoy it, its fine by me.
Can you explain what motion control though is? I'm not familiar with it..
Pretty sure it's an option to make any movement in the film to move at an smooth rate by increasing the frame rate a little bit, or a lot, depending on the television.

Could be wrong though, just my guess.
PSN ID: GamerBoy14

VIZIO E420d-A0 42-inch 1080p 120Hz LED Smart 3D HDTV
250GB Slim PS3/500GB PS4
DirecTV Plus HR24 HD DVR
Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #152
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

yep thats motion flow. at first, i hated it, but ive been using it more and more. once you get use to it, it just makes for a more clear picture. part of the reason i like it, is that it makes the 2d on my vizio look a lot better. like i said, sometimes smooth motion is more 3d than actual 3d. basicly, smooth motion puts everything in focus - foreground and background.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #153
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
I can understand why some people would choose the 2D( like if they think the 3D is bad or they're are on of those "hate 3D!" and "3d is a gimmick!" haters :P), but I agree fully with everything else you're saying.

I personally love the 3D in thor. One of the best post conversions, even accounting the Avengers amazing use of 3D imo.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #154
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
I can understand why some people would choose the 2D( like if they think the 3D is bad or they're are on of those "hate 3D!" and "3d is a gimmick!" haters :P), but I agree fully with everything else you're saying.

I personally love the 3D in Thor. One of the best post conversions, even accounting the Avengers amazing use of 3D imo.
Cheers

Haven't seen the Avengers yet, but am really looking forward to it. I also really like Captain America. Another great conversion. I wonder if on some of the "darker" movie's (Fright Night, Thor,Priest ), if using active to watch makes much of a difference..From what I have gathered the image is not supposed to be as bright as passive, and I can imagine it must make a big difference.

Also does anyone know if the sequel to Thor being shot now in Sydney is being filmed native?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #155
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Burbank, CA

Anybody know if you can still redeem the digital copy for this movie even after its expiration date?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #156
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke smot View Post
well i will retract this statement. watched thor again in 3d to prep for avengers, and i have to say, i liked it a lot more the second time. so to all you out there....thor 3d is pretty damn good (its no avengers or wrath of the titans), but i would recommend it!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #157

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesis View Post
Anybody know if you can still redeem the digital copy for this movie even after its expiration date?
thats funny I went through a load of digital copies the other day and thor was one of them.

the digital copy ran out on the 26th sept the day after i was doing my digital copies but i gave it a go and it worked.

give it ago you never know

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #158
Expert Member

Apr 2012

Quote:
well i will retract this statement. watched thor again in 3d to prep for avengers, and i have to say, i liked it a lot more the second time. so to all you out there....thor 3d is pretty damn good (its no avengers or wrath of the titans), but i would recommend it!
Great for you! Cant wait until the next movie.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 AM   #159
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Agreed. Thor's 3D is actually better than most people give it credit for. Nice 3D layers.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #160
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

I still think a lot of the Jotunheim scenes from what I can remember are absolute reference quality 3d IMO. Sure it's dark, but I can see things plenty fine on my setup and it looks amazing! XD
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies