COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.96
Dragonwolf (Blu-ray)
$18.20
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.92
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Dec 2008
Northern Ireland
Default Black screen when watching blu rays

Rite folks

Was watching Speed on blu ray last nite when all of a sudden the screen went black for bout couple of seconds then came on again. This isn't the first time it's happened.

Couple o months ago same thing happen when I watching Lost, screen goes pitch black then comes on again. The sound can still be heard when it happens.

Also everytime I turn on my blu ray player and the menu loads up the same thing happens which isn't so bad, but it's starting to get annoying when watching a film

If anyone's got any info on this let me know thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

Check your HDMI cable. Best to try a different one.

If you're going from the BD player through a receiver and then to the TV, it may be an HDMI connectivity problem. Temporarily connect the BD player directly to the TV.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5984 View Post
Rite folks

Was watching Speed on blu ray last nite when all of a sudden the screen went black for bout couple of seconds then came on again. This isn't the first time it's happened.

Couple o months ago same thing happen when I watching Lost, screen goes pitch black then comes on again. The sound can still be heard when it happens.

Also everytime I turn on my blu ray player and the menu loads up the same thing happens which isn't so bad, but it's starting to get annoying when watching a film

IMO you have an HDMI cable problem. Thats where I would start.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 06-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #4

Dec 2008
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
Check your HDMI cable. Best to try a different one.
If you're going from the BD player through a receiver and then to the TV, it may be an HDMI connectivity problem. Temporarily connect the BD player directly to the TV.
Thanks for the reply's folks, much appreciated

Checked with two different cables and still same. This occurs when ye least expect it. I'm not connected to a receiver, my hdmi cable goes directly from my blu ray player to the hdtv.

Any other suggestions guys, do ye think it mite be the player it's self. When watching SKYHD or playing the xbox 360 there's never any probs like this.

I have the Sony BDP-S350 and the firm ware is up to date.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Banned

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Have you tried rewatching those BDs to see if the blackout occurs in the same spot? If so, it could be a faulty disc. If not, then it may be your player.
It would be a steep request, but if you knew someone that had the same player perhaps you could have it brought over and try it. If nothing happens then you know its a player problem.
Actually I guess you could bring over an BD player...as functionality would isolate the problem, again, to you BD player.
Sorry, wish I could be of more help!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #6

Dec 2008
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Have you tried rewatching those BDs to see if the blackout occurs in the same spot? If so, it could be a faulty disc. If not, then it may be your player.
It would be a steep request, but if you knew someone that had the same player perhaps you could have it brought over and try it. If nothing happens then you know its a player problem.
Actually I guess you could bring over an BD player...as functionality would isolate the problem, again, to you BD player.
Sorry, wish I could be of more help!
Just tried them there mate, never happened at same scenes. It's comes when ye least expect it, just at random.

Unfortunately know one else I know has the same blu ray player as me.

Thanks for your help though much appreciated!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
Power Member

Jul 2009
Georgia PSN:Bodyslide

Maybe use a can of the compressed air and blow out the hdmi connections carefully on both the player and the TV....Good Luck
PSN:Bodyslide
Receiver:Onkyo TX-NR616
Fronts:(2) Pioneer SP-FS52-LR
Center:Pioneer SP-C22
Rears:(2) Pioneer SP-BS22-LR
Sub:BIC America F12
Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 AM   #8

Sep 2009

You didn't mention your TV Brand. I've had several issues with my Vizio. I've had it replaced twice and now the third is very awesome. They say it was a firmware update on the TV itself that was never done. So you may check with customer service on the TV. Hopefully its under warranty.
I've had the screen go almost totally blank, kinda like a screensaver mode. Doesn't sound the same as yours but close. You may have a problem with the HDMI connector in the set. If you have more than 1 HDMI input, try another one.
Good luck.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007

I know u said know body around has that Sony 350 but any BD player will work for the test. That will still let you know if it's the player or not. There has to be a PS3 out there?!?! worst comes to worst buy a new one, see if the problem persists, & return it if need be or keep the new one, but not before everyother option is exhausted. What display do you have?
Pioneer 9G Kuro's 5020 with Elite board swap, KRP500m, Elite 111, Elite 151. Onkyo 706, Polk TSi 5.1 all the way around & 10" sub. Pioneer BD player & Panasonic BD player along with three PS3's, all original 60gig units. 2x Harmony 1100 & 1 Harmony 1000 touch screen remotes. About 1,000 Blu-rays...
My Brother R.I.P. Sep 9, 1980 - (killed) July 23, 2008"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die today"
Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #10

Dec 2008
Northern Ireland

Thanks for all your info folks much appreciated.

My TV is a Toshiba 40RV753B

Tried lost and speed on my bro's PS3 last nite and no black screen. Also messed around with some of the settings on both the tv and the player. There was a setting on my tv called regza link so I turned it off and when I turned on the blu ray player no black screen like it usually does. So I put on a movie to watch and not one black screen, not once.

Maybe with messing with certain settings I've actually sorted the problem.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007

I'm glad the "other" player (PS3) test worked for you. Atleast you know now. To be clear, all the black screen problems are gone with the PS3, but what about the Sony 350?
Pioneer 9G Kuro's 5020 with Elite board swap, KRP500m, Elite 111, Elite 151. Onkyo 706, Polk TSi 5.1 all the way around & 10" sub. Pioneer BD player & Panasonic BD player along with three PS3's, all original 60gig units. 2x Harmony 1100 & 1 Harmony 1000 touch screen remotes. About 1,000 Blu-rays...
My Brother R.I.P. Sep 9, 1980 - (killed) July 23, 2008"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die today"

Last edited by Sonny; 06-16-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #12

Dec 2008
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I'm glad the "other" player (PS3) test worked for you. Atleast you know now. To be clear, all the black screen problems are gone with the PS3, but what about the Sony 350?
Cheers mate

Yep there was no black screens with the PS3 at all. Not to sure bout the sony 350 player, watched The Tourist on it last nite and there was no probs.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007

Quote:
Cheers mate

Yep there was no black screens with the PS3 at all. Not to sure bout the sony 350 player, watched The Tourist on it last nite and there was no probs.
That's good news. I'm glad to hear it.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #14

Dec 2008
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
That's good news. I'm glad to hear it.
Cheers buddy

Thanks for your help and everyone else who replied to this thread as well.

You've all been really helpful
Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #15

Nov 2008

I have the same problem, same blu ray player and I also have a Toshiba TV but different model. I will try to find this setting and turn it off. I's been bothering me for over a year. The black screen will pop up randomly while watching a bluray. I have already swapped the cable for new ones, took the receiver out of the equation but still get it to happen. I'll post my results when i get a chance to watch some movies.
Sony BDP-S350
Onkyo SR605
Toshiba 46xV645U (46",1080P,120hz)
Polk Audio RM6750
Old 11-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Thanks for all your info folks much appreciated.

My TV is a Toshiba 40RV753B

Tried lost and speed on my bro's PS3 last nite and no black screen. Also messed around with some of the settings on both the tv and the player. There was a setting on my tv called regza link so I turned it off and when I turned on the blu ray player no black screen like it usually does. So I put on a movie to watch and not one black screen, not once.

Maybe with messing with certain settings I've actually sorted the problem.
Regza Link is the name Toshiba have given for CEC, this allows devices to be controlled via each other using their respective remotes, and a whole range of other features. For example you could stop or play a Blu-ray using the Toshiba's remote control. There seems to be an incompatibility issue with Regza link and the Sony 350 player.

What you should do if possible is enable Regza link and connect your brothers PS3 to the TV using the same HDMI cable. If the problem still occurs, first make sure that both ends of the HDMI cable are securely seated in their sockets and that the connectors are straight. If the problem persists, disable Regza link. If this solves the problem leave the feature disabled.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:18 AM   #17

Aug 2011
nyc
Question

I bought 2 brand new bluray Players. A Toshiba & Lg. the older one is a Sony
I have an LG Tv. Ok so those 2 new players refuse to work right and I got brand new pretty colored cables cause I thought I needed 1.3 high speed, that's all hoopla. The old Sony with the new cable works but no sound now. On the phone with LG support for almost two hours. Nope. She said I had a resolution problem. There are cables all over the place and losing the FAITH in this bluray , even though I do love a good picture when I can get one but I can not get this image out of my head... The old days when tv first came on the market & the ROOFTOP of your home was a place frequently visited because of that antena that needed to be manual moved. NOW this was way before my time kids! But I feel STUCK in the mud. I give up and then pick up the next day cause I have all this new technology & can not use it properly. Ok LG told me aspect ratio. I did go to 6 years of Pharmacy College , so me ain't that dumb but I'll tell you, you must have patience and a backload of extra patience, you will need it cause TONY ain't giving up yet!! My next project is connecting that iMac Thunderbolt to the TV. So working on two things at once. Oh forgot to tell you, the cable also went out. Gotta call them too. Question?? Is there a MENTAL institution for bluray fanatics. We could establish one and I'll give out the Meds!! :-)
Old 11-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Rite folks

Try a different HDMI cable. I had the same problem and a new cable fixed it.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #19

Oct 2009

I have a Toshiba TV and a PS3 and mine has done it also. First I thought it was the disk, as it has never done it before. However I recently enabled Regza Link and the black screen only started recently.

I have now disabled it and will check when I watch movies again. Im sure it is the regza link feature that causes a slight delay in the video.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valephar View Post
I have a Toshiba TV and a PS3 and mine has done it also. First I thought it was the disk, as it has never done it before. However I recently enabled Regza Link and the black screen only started recently.

I have now disabled it and will check when I watch movies again. Im sure it is the regza link feature that causes a slight delay in the video.
That's what the issue is exactly. My LG, when Plex Media Server is running, and there's any update to the movie folder or video folder, my tv reboots itself. I assume the Regza is doing the same thing.
TV: LG42LM6200 3DTV / Panasonic Viera TC-P50UT50
Blu Ray Player: Seiki BD 660 / Sony BDP-S590
HTPC: Running Ubuntu w/ XBMC
Consoles: Wii / Xbox 360

I'm Ron Burgundy?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs