Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
My Darling Clementine (Blu-ray)
$25.75
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #1

Sep 2009
Illinois
Default Worth getting a Blu-Ray Drive in a Laptop?

It's been in the back of my head to get a cheap BD player for years now, but I haven't because I almost never watch movies and own one Blu-Ray (Blade Runner Ultimate Collector's Edition, couldn't help myself).

I plan on getting a new laptop soon. Specifically a Sager from XoticPC. Either the NP5165, NP8130, or NP8150 depending what graphics card I want (leaning on the GTX 560M so NP8130).

Anyway, I wondering what everyone's recomendation is on getting a Blu-Ray drive (reader or combo reader/burner). Many reasons of getting this laptop is for future proofing, the ability to upgrade the CPU, HDD, RAM, and yes even GPU (MXM Type 3b) are reasons for me wanting it. I want it to last me at least 5 years and as many more as possible. My current laptop still works great (3 years old) with the exception that I have to throttle back games in order to run them smooth (the GPU in it is not designed for gaming, Radeon Mobility 3450).

I've maybe only burned 5 discs ever. So, burning is nice to have but I don't think I truly need it. As for reading, I rip CD's all the time, installing programs, and once in a while (but still rare) watch a DVD movie. So, I don't think I'll ever need or see use of getting a BD burner (which is a $170 upgrade).

But I'm wondering if I should invest in a BD reader? I'm thinking it would make a good alternative to getting an actual BD player since I can both watch on the go and HDMI out to my TV. It's a $70 upgrade. Now, I'm not a big movie watcher at all so not sure if it is worth the investment.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

It's basically the same price as stand-alone player. However, you'd probably need to order software to play films, and that's an additional fee. I have a BD Burner in my computer, and I thought it was worth it, although I prefer my SA player for watching films.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #3

May 2011
Pandora

if you re going to connect your laptop with your Tv/Projector, a blu-ray player will be a good choice. You will save the money of a standalone player.
You can find slim bluray drives for laptops that cost less than $100.
The only problem is the HD Audio (DTS-HD MA & DD TrueHD). There are not many cards in laptops that can bitstream. You should search for a laptop with an hd audio bitstreaming card.
I am sure ATI 5xxx/6xxx & intel HD2000/HD3000 do it properly
Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #4

Jun 2011
Default blu ray laptops and bd-r media

I am a new member and for some reason I am not allowed to post a new thread, and I cannot find any way to contact a moderator about this.

This would have been my thread

Will most PC laptops with a blu-ray drive play BD-r media containing HD h-264 video files or mp4 video - or does one need to get additional PC software to play such files?

Are there any Sony Vaio or Toshiba blu-ray laptops that play BD-r media with HD h-264 videos ( mpeg-4, etc. ) without having to get additional PC software?

Would appreciate any info or advice anyone has had using BD-r media in blu-ray laptops.

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

Jun 2011
OC NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
I am a new member and for some reason I am not allowed to post a new thread, and I cannot find any way to contact a moderator about this.

This would have been my thread

Will most PC laptops with a blu-ray drive play BD-r media containing HD h-264 video files or mp4 video - or does one need to get additional PC software to play such files?

Are there any Sony Vaio or Toshiba blu-ray laptops that play BD-r media with HD h-264 videos ( mpeg-4, etc. ) without having to get additional PC software?

Would appreciate any info or advice anyone has had using BD-r media in blu-ray laptops.

Thanks a lot.
I'm not wholly experienced with this myself although I do have a BD-burner drive in my Sony VAIO VGN-FW280J. Watching straight-up Blu-Ray discs, I needed to install Intervideo WinDVD with a AACS key code from the Sony drivers site. For straight-up files, I think VLC Player, which is free, should do the trick.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #6

Aug 2010
Default BD-r media players

Thank you BD, I was also thinking -

If a BD-r disk is burned by Toast 11 on a Mac, can it be read
by a videoplayer on Creator 2011 on a PC with blu-ray optical drive ?

For example, if I created a disc image of an h.264 video with Toast 11,
would that disc image be played by Creator 2011 on a PC ?

Thanks also for the VLC suggestion
Would RealPlayer also do the trick ?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Jun 2011
OC NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort View Post
Thank you BD, I was also thinking -

If a BD-r disk is burned by Toast 11 on a Mac, can it be read
by a videoplayer on Creator 2011 on a PC with blu-ray optical drive ?

For example, if I created a disc image of an h.264 video with Toast 11,
would that disc image be played by Creator 2011 on a PC ?

Thanks also for the VLC suggestion
Would RealPlayer also do the trick ?
1. BD-R burned discs would be like DVD-R burned discs where as long as they are finalized, it really doesn't matter where you put them as long as they play.
Just for curiosity, does any Macs have BD drives yet of any kind?

2. Haven't done RealPlayer in a LONG time, but I think that might work.
My Blu-Ray setup:
37" Vizio VO37L w/ 320GB HDD PS3

Visit my FS Thread! NEW PRICE UPDATES!
Visit my blog Bad Booking's Blog right here!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #8

Jul 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBooking View Post
Just for curiosity, does any Macs have BD drives yet of any kind?
Apple's Blu-ray support is poor. No Mac comes with a BD drive or burner. However most Mac users I know have great success with BD-R drives in external FireWire enclosures.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #9

Jul 2011

For my laptop, the external Blu-ray drive I'm using is one made by Digistor and it's by far, the best one I've ever used. It has a lithium battery inside so I can use only one USB cable.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #10

Sep 2009
Colorado

Get a Asus "ROG" laptop and go from there
Check list:
Projector: 8700ub
Processor: UMC200
Amp: UPA700
Speakers: Def Tech bp7006, clr2002, bp6, ProCinema600
Subwoofer's: Rythmik LV12r's
Old 10-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #11
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Default questions about buying a blu-ray burner HELP PLZ

I have Windows XP and really was consider on buying a blu-ray burner I take videos of family advents/concerts I go to and would love to have them on an a region free blu-ray
Questions
If I bought a burner would all I have to do is put in my computer and install it?
Or will i need buy stuff to update it ?

and if i do get one
My Digital camera files are 720p HD and in mp4 how would I go about converting them uncompressed? Also how long do they take to convert usually?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software