COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Little House on the Prairie: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$20.08
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Old 06-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Aug 2010
England, UK
Default Panasonic or Sony

Hi all,

So, I'm going to by a Blu-ray player yet I don't know which one to go for.

I have a budget of about 100, and would like to not go above that limit.

Which would be better Sony or Panasonic Or is there not much a difference?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
AC
Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

If I were you I would visit stores and test different models from both to see the best you can get at that price.My sony has excruciatingly long loadtime,but it is 3 years old if not older (the BDP-S500).Panasonic has received good reviews generally.
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

I have 3 blu-ray players and they are all Sony. I have never had a problem with any of them! The picture and sound are great on all of them also!
My Gear:
Sony VPL-VW95ES 3D Projector 1080P
Elite Lunette 115" 2.35.1 Curved screen
Denon 3313CI Reciever
Klipsch RB-61 II Home Theater 7.1 System
Sony BDPS590 3D Blu-ray player
Sony PS4 500GB
Harmony 1000 Touch Screen Remote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #4

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis21 View Post
I have 3 blu-ray players and they are all Sony. I have never had a problem with any of them! The picture and sound are great on all of them also!
My first player was the Sony 550 and it still is going strong with no problems in my bedroom. But I recently got the Panasonic DMP-BDT110 for free with the special that Panasonic was running and I've got to tell you that it is one great little player. works exceptionally well with my Panasonic 42ST30 plasma. Fast loader, very nice PQ and just gets the job done. This probably doesn't help with the decision making process at all, so sorry.
EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
Old 06-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #5

Oct 2008
Default Consider the firmware update options

My take is SONY. SONY is more updated with the firmware versions to keep up with the Blu-Ray releases and easier to do with Nero burn software (if you buy an external disk drive usually it is included e.g. LG, check the package box, or you can purchase a full function version); Panasonic has its own procedure but may require Windows XP an older version, instead of Windows 7 to do it, that's more clumsy.

Also check if newer models of SONY allow for USB firmware update, and Panasonic too. If SONY can do USB update but not Panasonic, the choice is obvious. If you have network at home, then again check if the models you have in mind can do firmware updates via the network. If both can, as mentioned, SONY's firmware update version keep up with the Blu-Ray releases better.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA

After my Panasonic died following 16 months of light-to-occasional use, I am now suspicious of the longevity of the brand's models... apparently I'm not the only one, either...
Chronic Post Editor: If this post is fewer than five minutes old, then I am probably still revising it.

Noob Audiophile: MusicBee > HRT Music Streamer II+ > Matrix M-Stage (2x OPA602BP) > AKG Q701
My Music
Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

My Panasonic BD55, purchased when first released in late 2008, has played everything just fine so far. Still using the original firmware, too.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 AM   #8
Special Member

Feb 2008
Cincinnati, OH

I've got a Panasonic BD-65 and a Sony S580 and they are both great. I think Sony has some really neat interactive features (I can use my iPhone 4 as the remote), but for watching movies, they are both solid. Both load quickly and haven't had any problems watching movies on either
PSN ID skillzthtkillz
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Bay Area, USA

I have to go with Sony because I have 2 Sony BD players and have not have any problem, I have played just about every BD discs and never have a problem, also have not done any upgrade on the firmware so far, so I'm happy with Sony
Old 06-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Special Member

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

I say go with the Sony. Panasonic makes fine players, but based on a lot of customer feedback on these forums, they don't last long, and I have to agree. I bought a new BD60 2 yrs ago, and it lasted just one year. It sopped reading BD's. I have a Sony DVD player I bought back in 2002 and I have used and abused that player over the years and still going strong to this day (my little one uses it to watch Dora movies). I also owned a Sony S350 that I bought 2 yrs ago (to replaced the dead Panny) and was still going strong until I sold it a few moths ago to get a Sony S770 which I love and have not had any issues with it so far.....so my opinion, get a Sony.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
Power Member

Feb 2007
Somewhere between here and there
Send a message via AIM to Valore

I say go with whatever is feasible for your spending needs...get the best bang for your buck.

I try not to endourse brand loylaty even though I am a big Sony fan...but sometimes you just have to go with what works for you.

That's the best advice I can give. Would we all love top of the line products? Sure! But can we all afford them....no
If you love your country...you're gonna have to love moonshine.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2006

I used to be a Sony ***** and still am in a few cases ahaha...but right now I have a Panasonic Blu-ray player and 7.1 Home Theater system and they work great.....they are both from last year and the previous year, the only gripe I have is with load and response times but other than that they have worked great...

and the newer models have improved there...I'm a newfound Panasonic fan
Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #13

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
My Panasonic BD55, purchased when first released in late 2008, has played everything just fine so far. Still using the original firmware, too.
AMEN BROTHER. That is why your player has not given you any problems: STILL USING THE ORIGINAL FIRMWARE OUT OF THE BOX. DO NOT INSTALL FIRMWARE UPDATES ON A NEW PLAYER OUT OF THE BOX AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE THESE LITTLE QUIRKS THAT FIRMWARE UPDATES TEND TO CAUSE. Of course this is for using your player to watch BD/DVD movies only. If you want to do the BD-LIVE thing and streaming apps. thing then the updates will be mandatory.
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 06-26-2011, 02:52 AM   #14

Mar 2008

I have a 40gb PS3 that I got 1/31/08 and the Blu-ray optic is not reading Blu-rays anymore. I used it as a Blu-ray player and played games on it very little. Less than 5% of the use. Does Blu-ray as a whole not last as long as DVD. I'm thinking about a Panasonic DMP-BDT110 now or maybe another PS3.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:11 AM   #15

Nov 2007
Calgary, AB

I vote SONY!
My BDP-S350 has been flawless since new.
It has played every single disc that i have ever inserted.
No issues what so ever.
Panasonic TC-P65V10 65" Plasma
Sony KDL-55XBR8 55" LED LCD
Sony BDP-S350
Sony BDP-S590
Yamaha RX-V3800
Axiom Epic 60 - 500 Speakers (7.1)
Monster HTS 3600 MKII Conditioner
Logitech Harmony 900
Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #16

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
I say go with the Sony. Panasonic makes fine players, but based on a lot of customer feedback on these forums, they don't last long, and I have to agree. I bought a new BD60 2 yrs ago, and it lasted just one year. It sopped reading BD's. I have a Sony DVD player I bought back in 2002 and I have used and abused that player over the years and still going strong to this day (my little one uses it to watch Dora movies). I also owned a Sony S350 that I bought 2 yrs ago (to replaced the dead Panny) and was still going strong until I sold it a few moths ago to get a Sony S770 which I love and have not had any issues with it so far.....so my opinion, get a Sony.
My Panasonic DMP 85 lasted 1yr. 5 months, my sons Panasonic DMP 60 lasted 2 yrs. BAD BD DISC DRIVES. Replaced mine with SONY 570 and still have a SONY 360 and 350 going strong. SONY ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AND NEVER SURRENDER
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
NC

I would go with Panasonic. The BDT210 is a terrific standalone unit with very fast load times. And you get Avatar 3D for free.
Welcome to blu-ray.com, where slipcovers are more important than Blu-rays.
MY HDNA
LG 55" 1080p LED 55LN5700
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony STR-DG820
Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders