Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
23 hrs ago
Chef (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Purge: Anarchy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
12 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
19 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 09-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #101
Banned

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside Trece View Post
I see.

I think I prefer the dark blue ring they used to put on the 700 series and up; this cool blue/whitish ring doesn't even match the classic Onkyo green display readout...
Eh, I do not care about matching colors, I care about the performance of the machine
Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #102
Banned

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Eh, I do not care about matching colors, I care about the performance of the machine
Well, yeah -- first and foremost would be performance; I'm just sayin'...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #103

Apr 2008
under a rock

I picked up my 809 last night. Like I figured BB wasn't gonna have on Sunday as no one delivers on Sunday. It actually came straight from Onkyo to the local store. And it came with the printed manual and not the CD version some are getting. I hooked everything up last night. I ran the firmware upgrade last night so that aspect is done. I will run Audyssey hopefully tonight if I can get my girlfriend to take the dogs for a long walk . I need to read up on the Audyssey intrecacies and workflow so I can get it done correctly. I need to configure the inputs still and will configure them after I'm done with Audyssey. I don't have much quiet time with 2 Shibas at home. Hopefully it will sound as good or better than my SC-05.
TV - Samsung PN64F8500 | BD Player - Oppo BDP-103 | Streaming Media Player - Roku 3
Console - PlayStation 4 | Console - XBox One | Console - PlayStation 3 | Console - XBox 360
Remote - Harmony Smart Control | Receiver - Denon AVR-X4000 | Amplifier - Emotiva XPA-5 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H
Fronts - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers | Center - Aperion Audio Verus Grand | Surrounds - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelves
Old 09-14-2011, 03:21 AM   #104

Apr 2008
under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian42677 View Post
I picked up my 809 last night. Like I figured BB wasn't gonna have on Sunday as no one delivers on Sunday. It actually came straight from Onkyo to the local store. And it came with the printed manual and not the CD version some are getting. I hooked everything up last night. I ran the firmware upgrade last night so that aspect is done. I will run Audyssey hopefully tonight if I can get my girlfriend to take the dogs for a long walk . I need to read up on the Audyssey intrecacies and workflow so I can get it done correctly. I need to configure the inputs still and will configure them after I'm done with Audyssey. I don't have much quiet time with 2 Shibas at home. Hopefully it will sound as good or better than my SC-05.
Alright so I was able to run Audyssey one time tonight. And I mean one time as I need to run it again. The subwoofer output was low and flat. Everything else sounded good.
TV - Samsung PN64F8500 | BD Player - Oppo BDP-103 | Streaming Media Player - Roku 3
Console - PlayStation 4 | Console - XBox One | Console - PlayStation 3 | Console - XBox 360
Remote - Harmony Smart Control | Receiver - Denon AVR-X4000 | Amplifier - Emotiva XPA-5 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H
Fronts - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers | Center - Aperion Audio Verus Grand | Surrounds - Aperion Audio Verus Grand Bookshelves
Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #105

Jan 2010

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase! I hope you get your sub issues worked out, maybe with the manual EQ?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #106
Expert Member

Aug 2008

I need some help. I finally but a Receiver for my Pioneer 111fd and I'm not sure how to hook it up. Right now all my HDMI connection go straight to the TV and I use the TV's side speakers and an external sub. TV goes through a Dish 722VIP DVR. I also have a PS3 and X-Box 360 also connected through HDMI. So when I enter the Onkyo TX-nor709 Receiver into the mix all of the HDMI connection will connect to the receiver instead right? Leaving only one HDMI from the receiver to the TV right? So if that's correct then which HDMI input do I use? 4, 5, 6 or 7? The Sub also now connects to the receiver instead of the tv right? Does this mean the receiver has to stay on 24/7 to watch TV?

Does it mean the TV speaker get disconnected and that basically the only TV input connection I will use is one HDMI input and that's it?
My System: Pioneer Elite Pro 111FD, Dish 722VIP DVR, PlayStation 3 (60GB), X-Box 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red, Onkyo Tx-nr709, Martin Logan Motion 12's, Oppo 983H, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Monster HDP 2500, Monster AVS 2000, Logitech Harmony One! It all Rocks!

My Blu-Ray wish list: Time Machine with Guy Pierce, the Sword and the Sorcerer, Storm of the Century, Bicentennial Man, the Princess Blade, Azumi in English dub

Movies to see: I' Frankenstein, 47 Ronin
Old 09-24-2011, 03:04 AM   #107

Apr 2008
under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
I need some help. I finally but a Receiver for my Pioneer 111fd and I'm not sure how to hook it up. Right now all my HDMI connection go straight to the TV and I use the TV's side speakers and an external sub. TV goes through a Dish 722VIP DVR. I also have a PS3 and X-Box 360 also connected through HDMI. So when I enter the Onkyo TX-nor709 Receiver into the mix all of the HDMI connection will connect to the receiver instead right? Leaving only one HDMI from the receiver to the TV right? So if that's correct then which HDMI input do I use? 4, 5, 6 or 7? The Sub also now connects to the receiver instead of the tv right? Does this mean the receiver has to stay on 24/7 to watch TV?

Does it mean the TV speaker get disconnected and that basically the only TV input connection I will use is one HDMI input and that's it?
Plug all of your HDMI gear into the back of the 709. The HDMIs are selectable on the Onkyo so you can plug which ever equipment into which ever port. Make sure that you put the correct inputs to the correct HDMI port so that when you hit the "Game", "BD", etc. button on the Onkyo remote it links up to the correct equipment. I also have a PRO-111FD and the output HDMI on the receiver can go into either port 4,5,6 or 7. I don't know if the 709 has standby through mode.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:26 AM   #108
Banned

Nov 2010

Adrian --

I have the Onkyo 605. I only use one source -- my Oppo Blu-ray player -- that runs through the receiver. I only use HDMI out from the player for all DVD upconversion playback and Blu-ray, plus the bitstreaming of ALL codecs/formats. I have the Oppo going HDMI out to the 605's HDMI IN (1) and then the Onkyo's HDMI out with a second HDMI cable going to my display's HDMI IN.

I also keep the receiver's HDMI MONITOR set to YES.

Is this the correct configuration for sending all audio and video through the receiver? The Blu-ray player has been assigned to the receiver's "DVD" input...
Old 09-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #109
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Plug all of your HDMI gear into the back of the 709. The HDMIs are selectable on the Onkyo so you can plug which ever equipment into which ever port. Make sure that you put the correct inputs to the correct HDMI port so that when you hit the "Game", "BD", etc. button on the Onkyo remote it links up to the correct equipment. I also have a PRO-111FD and the output HDMI on the receiver can go into either port 4,5,6 or 7. I don't know if the 709 has standby through mode.
How did you set up the Harmony One for the receiver? That's sounds like a nightmare in itself. I have the Harmony one but haven't had to change anything on it in years, It's pretty simple everything going to the TV and just changing the input. How diffult is the learning curve setting it up for the receiver? Is it hard to set up or hard to learn and use?
My System: Pioneer Elite Pro 111FD, Dish 722VIP DVR, PlayStation 3 (60GB), X-Box 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red, Onkyo Tx-nr709, Martin Logan Motion 12's, Oppo 983H, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Monster HDP 2500, Monster AVS 2000, Logitech Harmony One! It all Rocks!

My Blu-Ray wish list: Time Machine with Guy Pierce, the Sword and the Sorcerer, Storm of the Century, Bicentennial Man, the Princess Blade, Azumi in English dub

Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #110

Apr 2008
under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside Trece View Post
Adrian --

I have the Onkyo 605. I only use one source -- my Oppo Blu-ray player -- that runs through the receiver. I only use HDMI out from the player for all DVD upconversion playback and Blu-ray, plus the bitstreaming of ALL codecs/formats. I have the Oppo going HDMI out to the 605's HDMI IN (1) and then the Onkyo's HDMI out with a second HDMI cable going to my display's HDMI IN.

I also keep the receiver's HDMI MONITOR set to YES.

Is this the correct configuration for sending all audio and video through the receiver? The Blu-ray player has been assigned to the receiver's "DVD" input...
Yes
Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #111

Apr 2008
under a rock

Quote:
How did you set up the Harmony One for the receiver? That's sounds like a nightmare in itself. I have the Harmony one but haven't had to change anything on it in years, It's pretty simple everything going to the TV and just changing the input. How diffult is the learning curve setting it up for the receiver? Is it hard to set up or hard to learn and use?
It takes a little getting used to and I'm still trying to figure out things. The Onkyo has a lot of fine tuning that you can do in the menu that say you can't do in the menu of the Pioneer Elite SC-05 I had. As an example, I can preset TrueHD to automatically start in THX Select2 Cinema everytime a BD has a TrueHD track. If you decided you didn't want to listen to that movie in THX Select2 Cinema you can hit the button on the remote to change the post processing or turn it off. If you power down everything and turn it back on it will default to THX Select2 Cinema for TrueHD because that's what you selected in the setup menu. With the SC-05 it would start at whatever the last setting was when you turned it off. So if I was using Plx II and not THX Select2 Cinema when I turn it off it would start with Plx II on. If I turn it off to Direct, it turns back on in Direct mode, etc. There's just a lot more options with an Onkyo.

As far as the Harmony One goes, it's even harder when you have devices being used in multiple activities. Say for instance my Panasonic DMP-BDT300. I have set as the 3D BD activity. Then I have another activity set for internet movie streaming (Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, etc.) which basically does everything the BD activity does but inputs the Net button automatically and gets into the streaming menu. Buttons used for BD are setup differently then they are for Streaming. I have my Pioneer Elite BDP-05 for regular blu-ray watching and also for CD playing. So it takes me a while to set it up.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #112
Special Member

Aug 2011
USA

i have a nr709 now i am a bit worried about the remote issue from the onkyo press release.
i dont have that issue but i will hate to have to send it somewhere for service.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #113
Expert Member

Jul 2010
San Francisco CA

I had the remote problem with the 5008 and if you have to send it in they will send you a shipping label for priority shipping it gets there in like a day or two they can repair it in like a day and send it back priority. only takes about 1 week round trip. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks,
T
TV: Samsung UN55D8000
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR5008
Speakers: Front:Polk RTI A7 / Center: Polk CSI A6 / Surround: Polk FXi A6 (X4)
SUB: SVS PB12-NSD
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT350
Game System: PS/3, XBox 360, Wii, PS/2
Remote: Harmony One with PS/3 Adapter What Else does one need :) (I know how about the Harmony 900) oh yeah
Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #114
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:

OK, so I'm looking at my Pioneer book and it says to add audio cables to support analog signals. But if everthing in set up uses HDMI then I have no need for analog right? unless maybe I add a VCR with s video? Am I right?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #115

Apr 2008
under a rock

Quote:
OK, so I'm looking at my Pioneer book and it says to add audio cables to support analog signals. But if everthing in set up uses HDMI then I have no need for analog right? unless maybe I add a VCR with s video? Am I right?
Just HDMI. Even if you add a VCR or any other video source that doesn't have a HDMI output, the receiver should be able to send it out through the HDMI to your Pioneer. That's another setting that you have to apply in the receiver setup.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #116
Banned

Nov 2010

Quote:
Yes
Thank you.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #117
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Help, poor reception on Onkyo UFW-1 wireless dongle. It says connected, 31% strength, but I can't access internet radio. Any suggestions? It's not practical running ethernet cable from the office across the hall to the back of the entertainment center. A little less than 50 feet.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #118

Oct 2011
College Station, TX

Hi-
First off, thank you to all the posters here. All of your comments played a big part in my decision to purchase a 709.

I got it last night and after a relatively easy hook up and Audyssey set up, it blows my old Onkyo TX-SR504 away.

I have a question about the HDMI settings that I haven't seen addressed anywhere: if I want to bypass the 709 video processing and leave it to my blu-ray player (Oppo BDP-93), what is the proper setting? I have the HDMI Monitor out resolution set to through right now. Should I just run 2 HDMI cables from the Oppo to the TV and receiver?

Any other "new owner" tips as far as settings go? I've been going through the manual, but I was wondering if there are any recommended do's and don't's

Thanks!

Todd
Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 AM   #119

Jan 2010

Quote:
Help, poor reception on Onkyo UFW-1 wireless dongle. It says connected, 31% strength, but I can't access internet radio. Any suggestions? It's not practical running ethernet cable from the office across the hall to the back of the entertainment center. A little less than 50 feet.
31% is indeed low. Only two suggestions that I can think of offhand:

One would be simply trying to re-position your wireless router to see if that helps.

Also, the wireless dongle is just a little USB connector 'nub' right? You could try using a male to female USB 2.0 extension cable to place that wireless receiver outside the entertainment center and higher up, possibly helping it get better reception. Here's a search link on newegg.com for that type of cable:

USB Male to Female extension cords

The cheap ones are probably as good as the expensive ones, at least in my experience.

Maybe one or a combination of both would work.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #120

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyball View Post
Hi-
First off, thank you to all the posters here. All of your comments played a big part in my decision to purchase a 709.

I got it last night and after a relatively easy hook up and Audyssey set up, it blows my old Onkyo TX-SR504 away.

I have a question about the HDMI settings that I haven't seen addressed anywhere: if I want to bypass the 709 video processing and leave it to my blu-ray player (Oppo BDP-93), what is the proper setting? I have the HDMI Monitor out resolution set to through right now. Should I just run 2 HDMI cables from the Oppo to the TV and receiver?

Any other "new owner" tips as far as settings go? I've been going through the manual, but I was wondering if there are any recommended do's and don't's

Thanks!

Todd
Hi Todd, glad you're enjoying your receiver! If I understand your question correctly, you just want your Oppo to handle any upscaling/other processing and your receiver to leave it alone, correct? I believe that as long as you set your Oppo to upscale in its own menus to 1080p 24/60 hz (or whatever is appropriate for your display), and the Onkyo to 'Through' as you have it, the Onkyo should be leaving the video untouched.

Try playing a SD DVD from your Oppo. Press 'Display' on your Onkyo remote (top right corner) and it should give you the information about the video signal it is receiving. Just tested it with my older Oppo DVD player, and it shows input 1080p and output 1080p 'Through' mode.

edit: If you are still unsure, running two HDMI cables would definitely bypass your receiver (does the Oppo output to both HDMI simultaneously?) However, doing this, you would lose the Onkyo on-screen display. Not sure if that is a concern to you.

As for other tips, I have to admit I am still playing around! I will say that though I generally dislike having my receiver 'adjust' the sound at all, I am really enjoying the Audyssey 'movie' curve and dynamic EQ set to on (found under the Source Setup -> Audyssey menu. It might not be to your liking, but all I can suggest is play around and see what you like (write down your original settings if you need to!)

edit #2: I also found I needed to boost the center channel a few dB after the auto-calibrate to get dialogue volume at the level that I prefer.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Milambian; 10-06-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers