Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist (Blu-ray)
$20.60
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Juan of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

Nov 2008
Portland, OR
Default Blu-ray player that plays DVD-A and SACD

I recently found out that my friend's Sony BDP-S370 Blu Ray player also plays the DVD-Audio and SACD formats. My LG BD-570 Blu Ray player does not seem to play either format. Does anyone know if this is expected? Should the LG player support these formats? If I need to buy a new player to get these formats, what players are recommended by everyone?
#1 on iTunes Most Played: Paul McCartney "Somedays"
#1 on iTunes Most Played Film Scores: Lost: Season One "Landing Party"
------------------------------
‎"When you're that dumb, everything in life is a blissful adventure." -Faris
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

I would highly recommend doing a "search" and you will find a ton of information that will answer each question
Old 06-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
Carmel, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strilo View Post
I recently found out that my friend's Sony BDP-S370 Blu Ray player also plays the DVD-Audio and SACD formats. My LG BD-570 Blu Ray player does not seem to play either format. Does anyone know if this is expected? Should the LG player support these formats? If I need to buy a new player to get these formats, what players are recommended by everyone?
http://www.blu-ray.com/LG-BD570/191/?show=specs

according to specs on this website, DVD Audio is confirmed YES but SACD has not been confirmed... I don't know how accurate BD.com is for these things though.
“Reach out your hands. Out for the ones who, aid when the going gets rough. Until the end. These are the ones who, help when the times get tough. And times will get tough. Get up again.” -Flaw-
Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #4

Feb 2008
Richmond, VA

Oppo!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

No Sony plays DVD-A, although it will play the lossy audio in the DVD Video portion of the disc. There aren't many universal players that do Blu-ray along with the other two formats. Oppo is your best bet. But, it'll cost.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

All 2010 and 2011 Sony Blu-ray player models will play Super Audio CD’s. Sony does not support DVD-Audio like the prior poster said. For those that need SACD and DVD-Audio a OPPO or select Denon models offer those features. Plus a few extreme high-end niche companies offer those feature on select Blu-ray players.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

If you want to investigate potential SACDs you may like, check out:

http://www.sa-cd.net/home

That site lists virtually every SACD ever made. As others have already stated, the Oppo is the best universal BD player. Many of the better Sony machines play SACD, but do not play DVD-Audio at all.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

Get the Oppo 93 or if your budget allows it and want better DACs get the Oppo 95.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 06-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

Oppo is your best bet for a player that will handle both DVD-A and SACD. You could go with other higher end companies like Denon, or try the new model from Yamaha, but I think Oppo offers the better deal.

However, in my case I have quite a few SACDs but no DVD-Audio discs. I won a Sony BDP-BX37 that sells at Costco for around $120, and it has been fantastic. It bitstreams SACD via HDMI, and doing that rivals the sound quality from my Yamaha universal player. Plus, streaming works great, both with the pre-loaded apps like Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora, as well as with the content on my two PCs.
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS3 120 GB (Now 320 GB) / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers
Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #10

Nov 2008
Portland, OR

$499 for the Oppo is a bit too expensive for my resources. What models of Yamaha play both formats? Are they similar price points? I wonder if a better strategy would be for me to replace my old region-free DVD player with a new "universal" DVD player that plays DVD-A and SACD.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
$499 for the Oppo is a bit too expensive for my resources. What models of Yamaha play both formats? Are they similar price points? I wonder if a better strategy would be for me to replace my old region-free DVD player with a new "universal" DVD player that plays DVD-A and SACD.
Go with one of the cheaper Sony players, if you can get over not having DVD-A playback. That format is dead as a doornail at this point. There is a Sony BD player at Costco that plays SACD around $150.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
The Yamaha BD-A1000 plays both SACD’s and DVD-Audio at a list price of $699.95.

The Denon DBP-1611UD plays both SACD’s and DVD-Audio at a list price of $499.99.

The OPPO BDP-93 is the best player according to reviews (Have not seen the new Yamaha review yet). I also own OPPO players. The OPPO BDP-95 and third party OPPO designs have better audio quality if one uses analog audio outputs instead of HDMI.

If you want DVD-Audio support and you want a player under $400 then you will need to purchase a used Blu-ray player from someone on EBAY or Amazon. If you could live without DVD-Audio you can get a brand new Sony Blu-ray player for under $100 that plays SACD’s. All the 2010 and 2011 Sony Blu-ray players support SACD DSD and PCM over HDMI.

The competition will bring down the price of Blu-ray universal players. Before the old OPPO BDP-83 was introduced for $499 in 2009 the only other choice for Universal Blu-ray players was a $4,499.99 Denon DVD-A1UDCI.

With OPPO, Yamaha, Denon, and other companies making Blu-ray universal players perhaps one day within 5 years a model between $100-$200 will become available. Who knows maybe a quality $99 Universal Blu-ray player could be available in 5 years if inflation stays in balance.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 06-24-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #13

Nov 2008
Portland, OR

I have more DVD-Audio discs right now than SACDs. This is just by coincidence, as I have made no real effort to buy either format. I have two SACDs (possibly three, I cannot tell what "enhanced stereo" means) and four DVD-Audio discs. But the cost difference for an actual DVD-Audio capable player is just too much. And honestly, I can listen to the DVD-Audio content in lossy 5.1 for now. Maybe the Sony SACD capable Blu Ray is the way to go.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
A bit off...

Quote:
I have more DVD-Audio discs right now than SACDs. This is just by coincidence, as I have made no real effort to buy either format. I have two SACDs (possibly three, I cannot tell what "enhanced stereo" means) and four DVD-Audio discs. But the cost difference for an actual DVD-Audio capable player is just too much. And honestly, I can listen to the DVD-Audio content in lossy 5.1 for now. Maybe the Sony SACD capable Blu Ray is the way to go.
Buy a used DVD player which can play DVD-A.Might be the cheaper option...
Don't complain Kubrick isn't around anymore when you have Fincher.

Self improvement is masturbation-Tyler Durden
Old 06-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #15

Nov 2008
Portland, OR

Yeah I mentioned earlier getting a DVD player that plays both SACD and DVD-Audio. Might be a lot less expensive. My current DVD player is region-free, though, so I'd want something where I can still watch my Region 2 DVDs.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #16

Nov 2008
Portland, OR

I wound up getting a Pioneer upconverting Universal DVD player to replace my old JVC region-free player. It plays all my Region 2 German discs, plus SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. I am ecstatic to finally add these formats to my system.

That said, my next goal is to replace my LG Blu Ray player with a new one that does Hulu Plus. I don't need wireless or anything. Suggestions on brands to steer towards or away from?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #17

Nov 2008

Is there a PlayStation 3 that will handle SACDs and 3D blu-rays? I'm looking to jump into all 3 formats: PS3 games, SACDs, and 3D blus. A search on this site suggested there's a 250GB slim unit that does what I need, but not sure how reliable that info is.

Sorry if this was already asked & answered. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluChris View Post
Is there a PlayStation 3 that will handle SACDs and 3D blu-rays? I'm looking to jump into all 3 formats: PS3 games, SACDs, and 3D blus. A search on this site suggested there's a 250GB slim unit that does what I need, but not sure how reliable that info is.

Sorry if this was already asked & answered. Thanks in advance!
You would need am original Sony PS3 model from 2006 if you want SACD support and PS2 support. Sony discontinued SACD and PS2 support on all the modern PS3’s to bring costs down. All the Sony PS3’s will handle Blu-ray 3-D but at a reduced audio quality since the PS3 does not have HDMI 1.4 or 1.4a that is needed to support the bandwidth for both lossless audio while playing a 3-D movie.

All the 2010 and 2011 Sony standalone Blu-ray players play SACD’s and many models play Blu-ray 3-D’s with lossless audio (all standalones with the 3-D feature handle lossless audio also).

Unless you want to play videogames I would not recommend the PS3 in the year 2011.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 09-17-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #19

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
You would need am original Sony PS3 model from 2006 if you want SACD support and PS2 support. Sony discontinued SACD and PS2 support on all the modern PS3’s to bring costs down. All the Sony PS3’s will handle Blu-ray 3-D but at a reduced audio quality since the PS3 does not have HDMI 1.4 or 1.4a that is needed to support the bandwidth for both lossless audio while playing a 3-D movie.

All the 2010 and 2011 Sony standalone Blu-ray players play SACD’s and many models play Blu-ray 3-D’s with lossless audio (all standalones with the 3-D feature handle lossless audio also).

Unless you want to play videogames I would not recommend the PS3 in the year 2011.
Thanks for the answer! I would like to play video games, but of the three priorities I listed, that's admittedly my lowest. Not much of a gamer, but I do have a Wii. It's not going to blow anybody away graphically, but it scratches my gaming itch well enough.

Could you recommend a Sony brand standalone that's $300 or under that would handle SACDs and 3D blus at the highest picture and audio quality? I'd actually like to get one for far less than $300, but I'd be willing to go that high if I had to for highest quality. Thanks!

Last edited by BluChris; 09-18-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
Special Member

Mar 2010

Do the new Pioneer bd players play those formats too?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders