COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Allman Brothers Band: The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings (Blu-ray)
$69.57
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sankarea Undying Love: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.08
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.78
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 06-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #1

Jun 2008
Atlanta, GA .. Multiply the number below by about 150~175 ! :D
Send a message via Skype™ to ahmadka
Default Can all blu-ray drives play/write 3D movies or just the '3D Capable' ones ?

Hi guys .. I have a question to ask ... I want to buy an internal Blu-ray writer for my desktop, but some writers have '3D Capable' mentioned on them ... Does this mean the other blu-ray writers are NOT capable of playing back and burning 3D blu-rays ? Or is it just a marketing gimmick ?

Personally I think there's no hardware difference, and that mentioning '3D' is because the blu-ray player coming with the drive is capable of playing back 3D blu-rays ..

For example this is supposedly a '3D Capable' blu-ray writer ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106346

... while this one doesn't mention '3D' anywhere:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136226

Whats the technical conclusion behind this guys ?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Hi guys .. I have a question to ask ... I want to buy an internal Blu-ray writer for my desktop, but some writers have '3D Capable' mentioned on them ... Does this mean the other blu-ray writers are NOT capable of playing back and burning 3D blu-rays ? Or is it just a marketing gimmick ?

Personally I think there's no hardware difference, and that mentioning '3D' is because the blu-ray player coming with the drive is capable of playing back 3D blu-rays ..

For example this is supposedly a '3D Capable' blu-ray writer ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106346

... while this one doesn't mention '3D' anywhere:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136226

Whats the technical conclusion behind this guys ?
All 2X times and faster BD-ROM computer drives will handle 3-D Blu-rays just fine with the proper computer software (72Mb per second speed for 2X drives). Mainly it’s just marketing to label a BD-ROM drive or BD burner as 3-D since any 2X and faster Blu-ray drive can play 3-D movies. The difference in drives are mainly in the reading and writing speed. Some new drives use the BDXL format that allows one to write data and video on 100GB and 128GB Blu-ray media. Only 25GB and 50GB discs will playback in standard Blu-ray video players. The maximum video bit rate for 2-D Blu-ray is 40Mb per second (48Mb per second for video and audio). 3-D Blu-ray has a maximum video transfer rate of 60Mb per second (68Mb per second for video and audio). The maximum data transfer speed for standard Blu-ray 2-D is 54Mb per second. I think the maximum data transfer speed for Blu-ray 3-D is 72Mb per second but I would need to verify that information, they might have allowed a higher speed in the Blu-ray specs. But 72Mb per second is most likely correct since that is the maximum speed of 2X BD-ROM drives. A 1X BD-R writer can write 3-D Blu-ray home made video's but in order to playback the video you need at least a 2X BD-ROM drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/blu-ray-3d-3d-video-3d-tv,2632-10.html

A 3-D movie can hold both a 2-D and 3-D version of the movie but a dedicated 2-D disc and 3-D disc at high bit rates can offer a better picture quality over a single disc that contains both a 2-D and 3-D data stream. That is why many of the new releases have one disc for Blu-ray 3-D and one for 2-D, in order to offer the best picture quality possible. It would be cheaper to just package the movie with a 3-D movie instead of two separate discs.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 06-25-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

I noticed on the picture of the drive it does not say 3-D anywhere, it’s only New EGG mentioning that the drive is 3-D. Perhaps NEW EGG may have received a lot of emails asking if the drive would do 3-D. Then for customer clarification and marketing purposes most likely they decided to label the drive 3-D.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #4

Mar 2009

Do you guys know any drive that reads or writes BDXL format
I wanna know whats available out there
Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris26 View Post
Do you guys know any drive that reads or writes BDXL format
I wanna know whats available out there
http://www.bing.com/shopping/pioneer...IVES&FORM=HURE

There are also other brands and models on the market. Pioneer has a history of reliable recording quality but I have not taken the time to read a review for this model.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #6

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
http://www.bing.com/shopping/pioneer...IVES&FORM=HURE

There are also other brands and models on the market. Pioneer has a history of reliable recording quality but I have not taken the time to read a review for this model.
Thankyou 1080P Man
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software