Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$39.49
London Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The BFG (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Highlander (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Supergirl: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$28.85
An American Werewolf in London (Blu-ray)
$14.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro (Blu-ray)
$79.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #1

Jul 2007
Default "Howards End"

I was out last night and came across Criterion's "Howards End". It's one of my favorite films and it was out before the street date...so I bought it. I must say that the Criterion people really know what they are doing. The cinematography in this film is difficult at best...this transfer nails it. Sure there is grain and some shots are soft, but the detail is stunning. This is a film that comes alive with detail. Unexpectedly, the sound, particularly the bursts of orchestration, are clear and (again) detailed. A thrilling presentation of a first-rate film.
"Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I'm gonna kick you 'til you're dead!"
Old 10-31-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Banned

Aug 2009
Orlando

Should have waited. $13 at Barnes and Noble starting November 10.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:06 PM   #3

Jul 2009
Warrington, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post
You might want to be checked for dyslexia: the price, according to their website, is 31.99
Old 10-31-2009, 07:07 PM   #4

Jul 2007

Quote:
I'm an impulse buyer. I got it for $20 and had already sold my DVD for $10, so I'm happy.
"Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I'm gonna kick you 'til you're dead!"
Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Banned

Aug 2009
Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluOrbit View Post
You might want to be checked for dyslexia: the price, according to their website, is 31.99
You might want to do a little investigative work before you make annoying, snarky remarks like that.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=119784
Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #6

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruck View Post
I'm an impulse buyer. I got it for $20 and had already sold my DVD for $10, so I'm happy.
Where did you find it for $20?
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 10-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
Banned

Aug 2009
Orlando

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonstruck View Post
That's weird. What kind of B&M store sells Criterion Blu-Rays for $20?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #8

Jul 2009
Warrington, PA

Quote:
You might want to do a little investigative work before you make annoying, snarky remarks like that.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=119784
Gee, I'm so sorry you find my remarks annoying. Next time I'll check with you before I post...wouldn't want to upset you again.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
Where did you find it for $20?
It's a little place in Baltimore that has great prices. I don't want to name names because they break street all the time and don't think that should be publicized.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Banned

Aug 2009
Orlando

Cool. Good find. Glad to hear your thoughts on the transfer, I'm really looking forward to picking this one up soon. It's a beautiful movie but also insanely boring at times, but at $13 how can I say no?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #11

Jul 2007

Quote:
Cool. Good find. Glad to hear your thoughts on the transfer, I'm really looking forward to picking this one up soon. It's a beautiful movie but also insanely boring at times, but at $13 how can I say no?
I never find it boring...the transfer actually makes the film more enjoyable. $13 is a steal.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:28 AM   #12

Nov 2007
San Francisco

GREAT review over at DVD Beaver:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...nd_blu-ray.htm
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma & Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5010FD 50" plasma & Pioneer BDP-95FD Blu-ray
Old 11-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Power Member

Jan 2007
Washington, DC

The PCM on the laserdisc was mind-blowing... the orchestration was incredible and the Dolby Digital DVD lost all that depth and realism.

I can't wait for the blu!!!
LOSSLESS audio... something that belongs on EVERY Blu-ray Disc. Every one.

If it's not 1.5 screen widths, it's not "Home Theater" -it's TV.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Howard's End is a good movie, but IMO A Room with a View is better. I don't want to knock Criterion (too much) because I think we as consumers are lucky for anything they give us, but if you're doing Merchant/Ivory please make it A Room with a View. Thanks.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, ATI AT2000, PS3, Xbox 360, Harmony Ultimate
Old 11-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #15

May 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Default Howards End

I ordered from Amazon, I got it and enjoy it a lot!! however I have a question, in the menu options, does anybody noticed that is not possible to get to the sound set up menu.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
Power Member

Jan 2007
Washington, DC

Movie quality is entirely subjective, as I personally consider H.E. to be far superior to the lighter and less substantive Room With A View, though I do enjoy them both.

However, as far as Criterion is concerned, since we *already* have a very nice Blu-ray edition of Room With A View, why not welcome the opportunity Criterion is giving to enjoy another M.I. film on blu-ray? I'd rather have two Mercant/Ivory films on Blu-ray than 2 editions of the same film. Perhaps if the current release of R.W.A.V. had been poor release, but the image is very transparent, and its only regrettable issue that it's got lossy DTS-HD audio versus the optimal DTS-HD MA. I look forward to an eventual release with lossless sound of Room With A View, but I'd rather get Howards End on Blu first.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Movie quality is entirely subjective, as I personally consider H.E. to be far superior to the lighter and less substantive Room With A View, though I do enjoy them both.

However, as far as Criterion is concerned, since we *already* have a very nice Blu-ray edition of Room With A View, why not welcome the opportunity Criterion is giving to enjoy another M.I. film on blu-ray? I'd rather have two Mercant/Ivory films on Blu-ray than 2 editions of the same film. Perhaps if the current release of R.W.A.V. had been poor release, but the image is very transparent, and its only regrettable issue that it's got lossy DTS-HD audio versus the optimal DTS-HD MA. I look forward to an eventual release with lossless sound of Room With A View, but I'd rather get Howards End on Blu first.
Excellent post, David.

Let's hope for Quartet as well.

Pro-B
Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

You make some good points David, especially about having two movies available instead of just one. And I agree when you say A Room with a View is indeed more whimsical than Howard's End. But that's why I like it. It is Romantic from beginning to end. It's why it works so well as a period piece. While I still enjoyed it, to me Howard's End felt more like a morality play based on a conflict (classism) that doesn't really (or rather, officially) exist any more. That's not to knock it because, like I said, I did enjoy it.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, ATI AT2000, PS3, Xbox 360, Harmony Ultimate
Old 11-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
Power Member

Jan 2007
Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
While I still enjoyed it, to me Howard's End felt more like a morality play based on a conflict (classism) that doesn't really (or rather, officially) exist any more.
I would agree with that also (sounds like what I like about H.E. is what you don't particularly care for. Interesting when diverging opinions actually stem from a common understanding).

I'll never forget the experience of seeing that opening scene in the Art cinema in Phily... as Mrs. Wilcox slowly wanders through her garden and past the lit window with her family playing games inside. Finally I can experience that again with the resolution of Blu!

dave

Old 11-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I've always loved Howards End and I firmly believe it's Anthony Hopkins' finest screen performance. The Criterion release is a very welcome addition to the Blu-ray catalog.

Now if Sony could release 'The Remains Of The Day' on Blu-ray, that would be marvellous.
Panasonic Blu-ray players BDT170, BD75 (Multi-region US model), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America