Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Westworld: Season One (Blu-ray)
$27.99
John Wick 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.00
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Red Dwarf XII (Blu-ray)
$18.97
Supernatural: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Sep 2006
Default Letters from Iwo Jima with TrueHD

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-iwo-jima.html

Quote:
Warner Home Video has today officially announced Letters From Iwo Jima which stars Ken Watanabe, Kazunari Ninomiya, Tsuyoshi Ihara, and Ryo Kase. The two-disc special edition will be available to own from the 22nd May, and should retail at around $34.99. The film will be presented in 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with a Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. English subtitles will be provided. Extras will include a Red Sun, Black Sand: Making of Letters from Iwo Jima documentary, a Faces of Combat: The Cast of Letters from Iwo Wima documentary, a still photo montage, the November 2006 World Premiere at Budo-kan in Tokyo, and a November 2006 press conference. HD DVD and Blu-ray releases will be available for $39.99 and $34.95 respectively. The extra material will be identical.
So now you can pick up both Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers in HD on the same day. Too awesome!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
Special Member

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd2012 View Post
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-iwo-jima.html

So now you can pick up both Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers in HD on the same day. Too awesome!
Damn it... I am going to be broke on this day. Letters, Flags, Both Pirates... and I feel there is something that I am forgetting.
Blu-ray Disc Collection- I don't think I can count that high...

Main Viewing Space: Samsung LN52a750/Denon AVR-2309/Polk TSi400/Polk CS10/Polk TSi100/Polk RM85/Polk PSW125/Sony BDP-S350/PS3/XBOX 360/Wii

Secondary Viewing Space: Samsung UN46C5000/Denon AVR-2307/Polk RM6750/BDP-S350

My Home Theater Gallery Thread
Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #3

May 2006

Ugh, I'm already getting pasted with The Matrix and POTC movies...Great news though!
"Ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever"

My HD Discs / All Discs
Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvenFlipper View Post
Damn it... I am going to be broke on this day. Letters, Flags, Both Pirates... and I feel there is something that I am forgetting.
Apocalypto? Mission Impossible? MI2?

Yeah, lots of blu-ray dollars will be spilled on that day.

B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #5

Dec 2006

Jesus H. Chrismukkah!

My list now includes "Closer", "Flags Of Our Fathers", "Letters from Iwo Jima", "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl". And that's just HD discs. I've got "Scrubs" S5, "The O.C." S4, "The Third Man" Criterion, and more. Well, at least I get paid the same day. I'm gonna need it.

ETA: I forgot about the JPN import of "Face/Off". Hmmm...I think I'll hold off on that one, lest I be reduced to eating Blu-ray covers for sustenance.

Last edited by JBlacklow; 04-02-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

Letters From Iwo Jima
Blu-ray | Blue BD Case Official Pre-Sell Date: April 2, 2007

Studio: Warner Bros.
Theatrical Release: 1/12/07
Theatrical Box Office (M): $13.52
Genre(s): Drama, War
MPAA: R
Rating Comments: Rated "R" by the MPAA for graphic war violence.

Synopsis: Sixty-one years ago, US and Japanese armies met on Iwo Jima. Decades later, several hundred letters are unearthed from that stark island's soil. The letters give faces and voices to the men who fought there, as well as the extraordinary general who led them. The Japanese soldiers are sent to Iwo Jima knowing that in all probability they will not come back. Among them are Saigo, a baker who wants only to live to see the face of his newborn daughter; Baron Nishi, an Olympic equestrian champion known around the world for his skill and his honor; Shimizu, a young former military policeman whose idealism has not yet been tested by war; and Lieutenant Ito, a strict military man who would rather accept suicide than surrender. Leading the defense is Lt. General Tadamichi Kuribayashi, whose travels in America have revealed to him the hopeless nature of the war but also given him strategic insight into how to take on the vast American armada streaming in from across the Pacific. With little defense other than sheer will and the volcanic rock of the island itself, Gen. Kuribayashi's unprecedented tactics transform what was predicted to be a quick and bloody defeat into nearly 40 days of heroic and resourceful combat. Almost 7,000 American soldiers were killed on Iwo Jima; more than 20,000 Japanese troops perished. The black sands of Iwo Jima are stained with their blood, but their sacrifices, their struggles, their courage and their compassion live on in the letters they sent home. From Academy Award winner Clint Eastwood comes the untold story of the Japanese soldiers and their General who defended against the invading American forces on the island of Iwo Jima. Subtitled Film, with English Subtitles.
Director: Clint Eastwood
Actors: Ken Watanabe, Kazunari Ninomiya, Tsuyoshi Ihara, Ryo Kase, Shido Nakamura, Hiroshi Watanabe, Takumi Bando, Yuki Matsuzaki

Critic's Quotes: "Letters" may well fire Eastwood's many partisans with renewed vigor, spelling sustained biz on select screens. - TODD MCCARTHY (Variety.com)
"Letters From Iwo Jima," takes audiences to a place that would seem unimaginable for an American director. Daring and significant ... - Kenneth Turan (LA Times)
Copyright Info: (c) 2006 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. and Dream Works LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Format: Blu-ray
Product Type: Sell Through
Latest Promotion: New Release
Announce Date: 4/2/07
Order Date: 4/17/07
Street Date: 5/22/07
UPC: 085391112884
Cat#: 111288
ISBN: 1-4198-4498-9
Closed Captioning: Yes
MSRP: $34.99
MPAA: R
Rating Comments:Rrated "R" by the MPAA for graphic war violence.
Packaging Type: Blue BD Case
Media Quantity: 1
Disc Configuration:
1) BD-50
Soundtrack Language: English
Run Time: 140
Units per Carton: 30

Subtitles: English SDH, English, Francais, Latin Spanish
Aspect Ratio: Original Aspect Ratio - 2.40, Widescreen [16:9 Transfer]
Sound Quality: Japanese 5.1 MLP
Japanese 5.1

Related Titles: Good German, The

MLP = TrueHD!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #7

Dec 2006

Wasn't it announced somewhere else (can't remember for the life of me) that the HD DVD was the one with TrueHD and the BD will have PCM? Not complaining as either one would be just fantastic, but that's what I read.
"I think mine would look better if it was in Dubly" - Nigel Tufnel

"Blu-ray is like film reels for the masses" - Greg Maltz, Blu-ray.com reviewer
Old 04-03-2007, 03:30 AM   #8
Special Member

Mar 2007

I know "Letters..." isn't the type of movie that Warners had earmarked for IME, but does anyone think this means anything for Batman or others they're holding back? Probably not, but just figured I'd throw something out there and see what you think, since this is a major release for them.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:00 AM   #9
Special Member

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
Apocalypto? Mission Impossible? MI2?

Yeah, lots of blu-ray dollars will be spilled on that day.
Yep, I knew I was forgetting something, I need to get Apocalypto and Freedom Writers.
Blu-ray Disc Collection- I don't think I can count that high...

Main Viewing Space: Samsung LN52a750/Denon AVR-2309/Polk TSi400/Polk CS10/Polk TSi100/Polk RM85/Polk PSW125/Sony BDP-S350/PS3/XBOX 360/Wii

Secondary Viewing Space: Samsung UN46C5000/Denon AVR-2307/Polk RM6750/BDP-S350

My Home Theater Gallery Thread
Old 04-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #10
Special Member

Mar 2007

Oh, that day is going to ruin me. Thank God I should have my fellowship check by then, or else I'd be trapping squirrels for a few weeks. I'm gettin Flags, Letters, POTC (both), Mission: Impossible, and Apocalypto.

I think that the POTC movies and Apocalypto are a good match for The Matrix, especially since they're all separate.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
Special Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LembasBread View Post
Wasn't it announced somewhere else (can't remember for the life of me) that the HD DVD was the one with TrueHD and the BD will have PCM? Not complaining as either one would be just fantastic, but that's what I read.
HighDefDigest posted that both formats will have the TrueHD sound. They even note that it is a first for Warners. It's actually kind of weird that Warners is releasing a BD movie w/out giving us the shaft in any way. I'm starting to think they may like us a little.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2006

awesome
Madden 2011: GoMikeVickGo, 75-36, 2% DNF, Avg Opponent Lvl = 5
Madden Leagues: Patriots (8-0), Eagles (12-0), Lions Fantasy (6-2)
Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2006

POTC..Apocalypto?....BD is going to kill the ratio after that date...

by then it should be around 4:1
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jan 2005
Makati, Philippines

These two masterpieces from Clint Eastwood are titles that I don't wanna miss (since I missed watching both at the movie house)

Hope to grab these once Blu-ray formally releases in my country
Old 04-03-2007, 05:09 PM   #15

Apr 2006

I thought Flags of our Fathers was very dissapointing. However, I really want to see Letters from Iwo Jima.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #16

Jan 2007
San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaase View Post
HighDefDigest posted that both formats will have the TrueHD sound. They even note that it is a first for Warners. It's actually kind of weird that Warners is releasing a BD movie w/out giving us the shaft in any way. I'm starting to think they may like us a little.
Wait for it...Warners may still push back the Blu-Ray date based on past actions...
Old 04-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #17

Oct 2006
Wisconsin

Curse of the black Perl is the only BUY for me on that day, but the rest are all rentals for sure.
My system pictures
Dedicated 20'x25'x9' room,

Klipsch Cornwall II, Custom-built vertical cornwall center, Integra 9.8-DTC, Aragon 2005, Denon 1930ci, Promedia Ultra 5.1, Panasonic PX-AX1000U, KS-525-THX, 106" Draper Clarion screen, Playstation 3 (BluRay)
Old 04-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Anaheim Hills, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaase View Post
I would chalk this one up to the fact that it did not do very well in theaters, so they want no excuse for it to NOT sell well on the home video market.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #19
Power Member

Aug 2005
Sheffield, UK

There are people out there saying Blu-ray Piracy will be a problem but with sales figures like those two are going to get: where exactly is the problem? :P
Old 04-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
These two masterpieces from Clint Eastwood are titles that I don't wanna miss (since I missed watching both at the movie house)
Me too. But has anyone seen it at the movies? The HD trailers to both films look really washed out (color wise) and not overly detailed. Is that really the look of these films or is it just the trailer?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America