COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.31
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.78
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Sabotage (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 5 (Blu-ray)
$25.89

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 06-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Banned

Sep 2009
NJ
Send a message via AIM to Idioteque... Send a message via MSN to Idioteque...
Default Extra memory for the PS3?

I'm running out of memory for games on the Ps3 since I have the 2nd gen 80gb and I know that Xbox has its own HDD that you can buy but is there one for the PS3?

So far I've had no luck on google. Any ideas or I'm out of luck?
Old 06-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
St Louis Area

If you want an external HDD just about any one will work:

http://community.us.playstation.com/...art=0&tstart=0

However if you want a new internal HDD then there is some limits though not much (it would need to be a 2.5 laptop HDD):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-gam...e-upgrade.html
If I go missing for a time, fear not, I am traveling with The Doctor. The 11th Doctor, Matt Smith.

Twitter: @freenumber6
Old 06-29-2011, 03:58 AM   #3
Banned

Sep 2009
NJ

Okay but with the external how would I be able to install games like the Infamous download or save files onto the external?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
St Louis Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
Okay but with the external how would I be able to install games like the Infamous download or save files onto the external?
Not so sure on that one. You could move all the nonessential stuff to the external and save to the internal. Sounds like the option you would want to go for would be the new internal though if you want to install more full games. You can transfer the contents of your current hdd to a new one, but even so you would need the external HDD to transfer your current PS3 hdd to the new one.
If I go missing for a time, fear not, I am traveling with The Doctor. The 11th Doctor, Matt Smith.

Twitter: @freenumber6
Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
Banned

Sep 2009
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretagentnumber6 View Post
Not so sure on that one. You could move all the nonessential stuff to the external and save to the internal. Sounds like the option you would want to go for would be the new internal though if you want to install more full games. You can transfer the contents of your current hdd to a new one, but even so you would need the external HDD to transfer your current PS3 hdd to the new one.
Looks like that's what I'm going to do now since i had a friend inform me of a really fast internal HDD, it will help a lot with fast installs of games and fast load times and it'll be 500 gb that will rock. Hopefully Ps3 sticks around for a long time.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Special Member

Apr 2011

You don't mean "memory", you mean Hard Drive space.

From Amazon you can buy a 500GB-1TB PS3 HDD compatible (HDD 2.5, I think) and its price isn't high, quite good.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post

From Amazon you can buy a 500GB-1TB PS3 HDD compatible (HDD 2.5, I think) and its price isn't high, quite good.
This needed to be said. It bugs the hell out of me when people use memory and hard drive interchangeably; they're not one and the same.

With that out of the way, any* current 2.5" laptop hard drive can be bought and used in the PS3 (original or Slim model). Laptop hard drives can be purchased just about anywhere, whether locally or online. Amazon is one option, NewEgg is another. Depending on where you live, there's always Best Buy, Staples or Office Max (tend to be pricey, unless they're on sale that week) if you prefer to pick one up locally.

* Just avoid the ones based on Western Digital Advanced Format technology.
PSN/Battlelog/Xbox Live: ▌۩▐ PrivatePixel
Pioneer Elite || Definitive Technology

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 07-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

newegg would be one of the better places to buy a laptop HDD pricewise. You can't use a external HDD to save games. You can only use it to back up your saves. What I mean is that you can't plug it to your ps3 and play your game saves from there.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Alabama

would an ssd work in a ps3?

they're the same size (basically) at 2..5".

i realize they're way more expensive for a smaller drive; $75 for a 500gb laptop hdd vs. $220 for a 120gb ssd; but i'm looking for the speed.
Will Disney ever release Old Yeller and Big Red on blu-ray?

Last edited by sk33tr; 07-10-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post

Speaking of memory. Can you put more memory in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post

i realize they're way more expensive for a smaller drive; $75 for a 500gb laptop hdd vs. $220 for a 120gb ssd; but i'm looking for the speed.
I would like to know as well.
[Home Theater Setup

TV: Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
Receiver: Denon 1712 *new*
Front Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's
Center: Polk CS10 *new*
Surrounds: Yamaha NX-220P
Sub: SVS SB-1000 *new*
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
Speaking of memory. Can you put more memory in?

I would like to know as well.
No, even if you could, it wouldn't use the extra memory.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post

You could but it would get the ps3 very warm (and console+heat=bad). That is why it is recommended to only use 5400 RPM ones.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #13

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
This needed to be said. It bugs the hell out of me when people use memory and hard drive interchangeably; they're not one and the same.
Well, in fact a hard drive is a memory. It's just not common to use the term memory for a hard drive. But if you want to be precise, a hard drive is even a "better memory" than a RAM module for example, since it memorizes stuff permanently.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #14

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
You could but it would get the ps3 very warm (and console+heat=bad). That is why it is recommended to only use 5400 RPM ones.
Do what? lol

AN SSD has no moving parts therefore no friction therefore no heat. What may be an issue is the heat inside the PS3 but I doubt it would be an issue.

Speaking of, I have a spare SSD. I will test this myself
Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

I'd definitely recommend upgrading the internal HDD, very easy process. But if you run into difficulties there are plenty of guides online, including videos on youtube. Just be careful with the screws as they can be pretty soft, be sure to have plenty of Philips head screwdrivers around to find the right fit.

And the old 80GB HDD doesn't have to be retired to a drawer, if you get a 2.5" enclosure/caddy (very cheap) you can use it as a USB external drive.
I upgraded my PS3 to a 320GB drive a couple of years ago, but the prices have come down a lot since so you'd be as well going with a 500 or 640GB drive.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maze View Post
Well, in fact a hard drive is a memory. It's just not common to use the term memory for a hard drive. But if you want to be precise, a hard drive is even a "better memory" than a RAM module for example, since it memorizes stuff permanently.
Where do I begin?

The semantics aren't the same for RAM (whether it's SRAM or DRAM) and hard drives. Both are considered computer data storage, but that's where their similarities end. When people talk about RAM, they are referring to a volatile type of memory, which is different than flash memory (which is a non-volatile storage chip, such as those found in USB thumb drives) or a hard disk drive (a non-volatile digital data storage device). What differentiates RAM from other types of data storage is its volatility: any information stored in their integrated circuits will be lost and reset when the power is turned off.

A hard drive does not memorize stuff: it retains data entered by a user, but it is not capable of learning. Memorizing implies a two-fold process: learning something, as well as remembering that information.

If you want to use the terms memory and hard drive interchangeably, that's your prerogative, but you will be incorrect for doing so. Even a Geek Squad member will tell you this.

"Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones." - Bertrand Russell
Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #17

Jul 2011

Quote:
Where do I begin?

The semantics aren't the same for RAM (whether it's SRAM or DRAM) and hard drives. Both are considered computer data storage, but that's where their similarities end. When people talk about RAM, they are referring to a volatile type of memory, which is different than flash memory (which is a non-volatile storage chip, such as those found in USB thumb drives) or a hard disk drive (a non-volatile digital data storage device). What differentiates RAM from other types of data storage is its volatility: any information stored in their integrated circuits will be lost and reset when the power is turned off.

A hard drive does not memorize stuff: it retains data entered by a user, but it is not capable of learning. Memorizing implies a two-fold process: learning something, as well as remembering that information.

If you want to use the terms memory and hard drive interchangeably, that's your prerogative, but you will be incorrect for doing so. Even a Geek Squad member will tell you this.
What a pointless writing...
At the time I wrote my first computer program, hard drives were a big rarity.
So I don't use memory and hard drive interchangeably but there is enough reason for somebody not very familiar with computers to use it.

Anyway, it's very interesting what exactly do you think a RAM module is learning during its lifespan...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Boston suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maze View Post
What a pointless writing...
At the time I wrote my first computer program, hard drives were a big rarity.
So I don't use memory and hard drive interchangeably but there is enough reason for somebody not very familiar with computers to use it.

Anyway, it's very interesting what exactly do you think a RAM module is learning during its lifespan...
If my post was pointless, you could have ignored it and just moved on, but you didn't.

I remember when hard drives had a capacity of 10MB, so I'm not sure what you're alluding to by mentioning this. If somebody's not as technically inclined or knowledgeable on a subject, if there's an opportunity to enlighten them by using layman's terms to educate them, why wouldn't you? I know some people are content with blissful ignorance and I'll leave them be, but there are others who are receptive to being informed.

I'm not addressing your last statement because you misconstrued my reply. You stated that hard drives "memorizes stuff permanently": a hard drive does not memorize anything, and nothing stored on a hard drive is ever permanent.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #19

Jul 2011

Quote:
If my post was pointless, you could have ignored it and just moved on, but you didn't.

I remember when hard drives had a capacity of 10MB, so I'm not sure what you're alluding to by mentioning this. If somebody's not as technically inclined or knowledgeable on a subject, if there's an opportunity to enlighten them by using layman's terms to educate them, why wouldn't you? I know some people are content with blissful ignorance and I'll leave them be, but there are others who are receptive to being informed.

I'm not addressing your last statement because you misconstrued my reply. You stated that hard drives "memorizes stuff permanently": a hard drive does not memorize anything, and nothing stored on a hard drive is ever permanent.
You treat everything too literally. I suppose if you meet somebody named Smith, you expect him to have a hammer in his hand.
I haven't misconstrued anything: You stated that hard drives do not memorize anything thus they are not memory. So, it's still interesting how a RAM module is memory according to your classification... And again, what exactly do you think a RAM module is learning or memorizing during its lifespan?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #20
Power Member

Apr 2011

The biggest internal HDD that you can get for a PS3 is 500gb, as far as I know.

I upgraded my 40gb to a 320gb a few years ago for $60 on eBay
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion