Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Miracle Mile (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Burnt Offerings (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Jupiter Ascending 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Cherry 2000 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Alfred Hitchcock: The Classic Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Oblong Box (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Orphan Black: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Prime Cut (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Truck Turner (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Nightcrawler (Blu-ray)
$8.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 07-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

Many UK/US discs is better than their HK counterpart (SPL, Banquet, Flashpoint, Invisible Target) Often less DNR so picture quality is better. Sound is often the same.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #22

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan View Post
Many UK/US discs is better than their HK counterpart (SPL, Banquet, Flashpoint, Invisible Target) Often less DNR so picture quality is better. Sound is often the same.
depends on the quality of negative prints, if it's good, then it's not necessary to do any dnr, otherwise, the dirt on negative prints would make video quality worse.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by here View Post
depends on the quality of negative prints, if it's good, then it's not necessary to do any dnr, otherwise, the dirt on negative prints would make video quality worse.
I think they use the same master from HK so the souce quality should be the same and yet the UK/US discs looks better in many cases. Just a fact. Latest UK disc of Detective Dee is the same, overall better picture, subs and extras

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Detect.../20485/#Review
Old 07-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #24
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by totentanz View Post
Is it better than the HK release?
It's a gorgeous transfer, can't say a bad thing about it.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #25
Power Member

Aug 2010

Do you know where I could find some screens from the Blu Rays of:

City on Fire
Once Upon a Time in China and America
Sex and Zen

Thanks a lot to any of you who could help!

Last edited by Torrente; 07-04-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #26

Mar 2010
Schiedam, The Netherlands

a lot of the above mentioned titles are on sale at DDDhouse for $14.11

I'am very reluctant to buy any of them because of the dissapointing PQ, any suggestions ?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #27
Power Member

Sep 2007
Northern VA SteelBooks™ Owned : 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
With no disrespect intended (really) . . .

Hold your breath and wait for the inevitable "Platinum Criterion 4K Negative Restoration 30th Anniversary" editions of these movies. Sure to be included are: subtitled audio commentaries; behind-the-scenes documentaries with insights from the cast, crew, and even triad bosses who helped finance the movies; gag reels (with audio re-created since most of these classic HK films were shot without sound); newly edited trailers that don't give away the entire film (along with original versions for those who don't want to bother watching the entire film); and, at last, BD Live features, among them: a look at the recent filming of Cougars and Zen 3D: The Return of Amy Yip and a teaser of HK remake of On Golden Pond (unfortunately mis-titled as On Golden Pong) with Andy Lau removing his makeup and taking on the Academy Award-winning role that made Henry Fonda famous.

Each blu-ray will be accompanied by a personalized letter from the home video entertainment division's head of operations who will thank the buyer for shelling out the $1,000 price for the disc that was required to offset the expense of the production of the special addition considering that fewer than 5,000 copies could be sold to such a niche market. All for a film than cost less than 700,000 HK dollars and was seen briefly at the On Gui Gwai Lo theatre for two weeks in 1988. Fortunately, a pristine negative of the movie was found last week by a homeless individual picking through Quentin Taratino's trash.
To each his/her own. You may be happy to have these upscaled films on Blu-ray, but to some of us who already own most of these films on DVD, list such as this can be helpful in figuring out whether we should upgrade or not to Blu-ray. If all I have is old non-anamorphic DVD, then it may be worth upgrading to Blu-ray even if it's only SD quality, whereas if I have a remastered good quality anamorphic DVD, then it may not be worthwhile.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #28

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post
To each his/her own. You may be happy to have these upscaled films on Blu-ray, but to some of us who already own most of these films on DVD, list such as this can be helpful in figuring out whether we should upgrade or not to Blu-ray. If all I have is old non-anamorphic DVD, then it may be worth upgrading to Blu-ray even if it's only SD quality, whereas if I have a remastered good quality anamorphic DVD, then it may not be worthwhile.
Exactly. I have most of these on dvd and want to know if they are upconverted / poor transfers or not.
Just because a HK Film is great and should be seen, it is no excuse to put out a sub par product and if it is a poor release it should be reported as such.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #29

Jul 2011
Default King of Beggars PQ

First of all, thank you all for this thread. I'm pretty sure that list compiled by xradman will be beneficial to many of us here... Much appreciated there.

I'm wondering if anyone has owned Stephen Chow's King of Beggars HK BD & could comment on the disc PQ.

Thanks...
Old 07-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #30

Nov 2009

The thread provides good information that several readers have already confirmed as useful. That's more purpose right there than 90% of what goes on in forums all day.

People are not disregarding the factors you rightfully mention Brown. It's just a thread about a subset of quality aspects that factor into people's buying decisions. And this particular one isn't that well documented even in reviews. Particularly in reviews.

Thanks for the useful thread!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #31
Power Member

Sep 2007
Northern VA SteelBooks™ Owned : 341

Quote:
Please, note how this list originated (". . . as such to be avoided"). Nonsense. In addition, in response only one company has received the honor of being included in this list. There are other mediocre HK blu-rays, but they are not mentioned. No, this is a gripe list.
Which ones? I have ~80% of all HK HK Blu-rays released thus far and would like to know what other ones you think are SD upconverts.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Brown,
I was going off a slight high of reading a 4-star review of Captain America today and then realizing that the film is playing at my local theater at midnight which I'm psyched to see later, but I just read your posts in this thread and it has made my week. I haven't read anything that funny and well written in a long time. I wish you could post some type of Fortune Star blu-ray disclaimer at asiandvdguide.com to enlighten those folks over there!

Quote:
Offhand, The Storm Riders does not sport a good image.
This is the only comment you said that confused me. What do you mean? The Storm Riders HK blu-ray is one of the best looking Hong Kong blu-rays!

In regards to Fortune Star blu-ray lists and in regards to whether the Fortune Star blu-ray is upconverted or HD or not, I would just prefer to see a list saying whether the Fortune Star blu-ray:

1. looks the same as the best English-subtitled DVD version. (Zu Warriors)

2. looks slightly better than the best English-subtitled DVD version. (Peking Opera Blues, 60 Million Dollar Man, Police Story 2 & 3, Chinese Ghost Story, Once Upon a Time in China 1 & 2, Forbidden City Cop)

3. looks a lot better than the best English-subtitled DVD version. (Army of God 2, The Legend of Wisely)

Last edited by toddly6666; 07-21-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #33

Nov 2009

The subject of this thread is not HK cinema, as such it can do it no disservice. No one will be positively or negatively exposed to anything in here without specific prior interest. It's a useful list of upscales directed at buyers of Blu-ray discs who wish to know whether a disc is true high-def. The only disservice here would be not spreading that information, a disservice to everyone using this forum.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #34
Power Member

Aug 2010

OK so I think we all got your point here but I want to say (with my bad english) that I think it's too "black or white" without any "grey area".
In what you're saying and in the list itself too.

Take my example.
I live in France where a cool french editor edits HK movies since the beginning of the DVD area.
I have the chance to get most of those films on DVD with a good PQ, right OAR, great packaging (digipacks, digibooks, etc), bonus materials created only for those editions thanks to some of their teams who work in HK and with Tsui Hark etc.
I bought most of them already.
I have enough room to keep 2 different TV. One flat Full HD panel, and an old 4/3 Sony CRT.

--> I love HK cinema, I love the movies. But I also love the different format that make me discover them so I own them on VHS, LD and DVD.

Now I'm not incredibly rich.
Blu Ray is a step forward.
I need to know if the Blu Rays are worth the new investment.

OK making a list may be too harsh, with no "grey area", but it's a good way for me to know if I "double/triple/quadruple dip" or not.

And the idea that I buy an upconvert with wrong AR is a no go for me.
As I have an old CRT and the DVDs already.
When I compare Crime Story or Prison on Fire... yes I prefer the look of the Remastered Fortune Star or HK Video edition on my CRT than the look of the Blu Ray on my flat panel.

I already felt that I've been robbed by buying those Blu Rays.
It's why I need to be sure now.
It's why I would appreciate some precise reviews with screenshots for City on Fire, and Once Upon a Time in China & America for instance.

But I understand what you mean, and I respect that.
And you're right when you say that nobody feels the same in front of the same transfer.
It's so subjective that we can't agree. But it's a step. A first clue. And it's better with screens... although it wouldn't replace the fact of seing the movie ourselves.

I hope I was clear.
Sorry again for my bad english.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #35
Power Member

Aug 2010

If I agree on almost everything you say, I totally disagree on this "pretty blu" thing that you're saying.
I'm not a moron.
And I'm sure a lot of the people who are searching for this kind of info, aren't either.
I love the movies. I also love each format for what they can give.
LD, DVD, HD DVD and Blu Ray.

My point is, if the remastered dvd which I can have for 5$ or less on DDDHouse is almost the same as the Blu Ray which is 3 times the DVD's price, I want to know it as I still have a CRT to enjoy my old editions on previous format.

This is what I want.
I'm not talking about HK preservation, I'm not talking about movie quality.
I know well about that.
And if I buy a movie it's because I love it. I'm not a stupid anorak that loves the HD quality of Avatar and thinks that every movie should look the same.

And yes, my bad, I don't care about audio and bonus material when I buy a disc. I just care about the picture. But it's probably because I don't have a great audio equipment.
And I don't feel there is enough cropping between 1.78 and 1.85 to prevent me from buying a disc. I hate pan & scan, I hate to get a 1.78 transfer of a 2.35 movie, but 1.85 to 1.78 is ok by me. Guess I'm not a purist but I remember quite well discovering so many HK movies on some old awfully fuzzy cropped VHS (which you're right, didn't prevent me from falling in love with a lot of the movies I discovered that way)

But I don't think this list is enough.
I also need to read your reviews (which are good and precise), DragonLee's reviews (which are often useful but too kind), Toad's reviews, Xradman's advices and I also need screenshots.
But that is not the purpose of this thread.

For example, I find the screenshots of Tiger on Beat to be too DNRed for me. I might pick the Fortune Star Remastered DVD for 4$ instead... But it's just me. And again I wouldn't if I didn't still have a CRT... And I wouldn't be able to make my mind without screenshots and reviews.

(one day someone will give me a link to some screenshots and reviews of City on Fire and Once upon a time in China & America )

Last edited by Torrente; 07-21-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #36

Sep 2009
Canada

I for one am grateful for this topic as it helps people like me who already have many of these movies to make an educated decision as to whether I should upgrade my current version of them or not.

I also believe people who come upon this topic are not looking for an opinion on the movie itself. They just want to know whether the disc is worth their hard earned money. If i can get some of these movies on DVD that are actually an upgrade in one area (ie. original mono), why would I bother spending the extra money?

Importing is not something I believe that casual movie buyers would take part in either. When somebody imports a movie, they have already done their research prior to making their purchase so they know what they are getting. This is just another tool like a movie review that can be utilized at the user's discretion.

I think a clear distinction has been made that the way the list is been organized is not a reflection of the movie itself but merely the disc which it is on.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #37

Nov 2009

The picture quality on Wheels On Meals or Eastern Condors is not "an upgrade".
Added new foley sound effects to a film is not " an upgrade" either.
We know these films are great, no argument there, but this list isnt lazy, throwing out a crap release which is an upscale with new messed up soundtracks is lazy and i want to know these things before i purchase anything.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by drees5761 View Post
The picture quality on Wheels On Meals or Eastern Condors is not "an upgrade".
Added new foley sound effects to a film is not " an upgrade" either.
We know these films are great, no argument there, but this list isnt lazy, throwing out a crap release which is an upscale with new messed up soundtracks is lazy and i want to know these things before i purchase anything.
I guess I also wouldn't use the term "upgrade" so freely anymore when describing these Fortune Star blu-rays. An upgrade on an airplane is like getting moved from a coach seat to a first class seat. A Fortune Star blu-ray that improves upon the best English-subtitled DVD version is like getting moved from a coach seat right next to a smelly bathroom to a coach seat not next to a smelly bathroom. Not quite an upgrade, but a better seat.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Minneapolis, MN

contrary to the general belief here, an SD upscale on a BD is automatically an improvement over a DVD, therefore making it an "upgrade". End of discussion.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #40
Power Member

Aug 2010

- Unless you have a CRT or tri-tube to enjoy the old good fashion way (and the only way that is "right") your old DVD.

But you're right, if one's put a DVD in a DVD player directly on a flat panel, every Blu Ray is an upscale.
And as wise Pro-B once said: "Upscaled SDVD content is not identical to standard definition content placed on a Blu-ray. So, a Blu-ray is better. "

But again, sometimes a DVD is still better, if no audio manipulations applied, if no filtering applied, if no color filters removed, or if no cropping applied.
We can't only consider the picture prettyness but also the fact that a DVD might be more true to the original source / release of a film.

Last edited by Torrente; 07-22-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia