Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Rapt (Blu-ray)
$22.19
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$5.29
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After You've Seen It!)
One Star 3 5.08%
Two Stars 3 5.08%
Three Stars 11 18.64%
Four Stars 34 57.63%
Five Stars 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone
Default The Last Stand Review Thread (Use Spoiler Tags)

Arnold Schwarzenegger Ends Post-Scandal Hiatus With Kim Ji-woon’s ‘The Last Stand’

Quote:
It’s been a rollercoaster year for Arnold Schwarzenegger. After finishing his term as Governor of California, the icon announced his return to acting, helped create awful-looking animated series The Governator, and waffled between a few projects including Kim Ji-woon‘s English-language debut The Last Stand and another film, Cry Macho, before settling on the latter as his first major post-political film role.

But then his paternity scandal caused him to put all media activities on hold for an indefinite period. That period has evidently now come to a close as there is a report that the actor will star in The Last Stand, which will shoot this September.

Deadline says that Arnie won’t get nearly as much money for this project as he would have when he was booked for Cry Macho in the pre-scandal days. This project will be a test on multiple fronts, then: of his ability to draw and audience both after his political career and after being hit by the scandal torpedo.

Kim Ji-woon is the director of The Good, the Bad, the Weird and the recent bloody thriller I Saw the Devil. While promoting that film last year he talked about Last Stand, which was written by Andrew Knauer:

My concept for The Last Stand is that it’s kind of a combination of Die Hard and High Noon where (the latter) was about protecting something very important that needs to be protected, while Die Hard is a very drawn-out, long process that almost kills someone in the process, so my film will be something that has to be very well protected and in the process, we almost die protecting it in a way. So if I Saw the Devil was about a person’s extreme remorse about having lost something that they couldn’t protect, The Last Stand would be where someone puts their lives on the line to protect something that’s very important and it will be a bit more optimistic film in that regard.
source

couldnt find a thread for this, if there already is one i apologize.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #2

Apr 2011

EXCELLENT NEWS.

This will be an opening day watch. It will also be a day 1 purchase due to the fact that it stars Arnie (regardless of how good it is). Yes, I am THAT much of a fan.

Last edited by computesurf; 07-11-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009

Kim Ji Woon? Yes please.
"We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -W.H. Auden
Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Expert Member

Nov 2007
WI
Default A Tale of Two Sisters

Kim Ji Woon plus Arnie? It just might work. I'll be looking forward to this one for now.

Pvt. Witt: I can take anything you dish out, I'm twice the man you are.

Sgt. Welsh: In this world, a man himself, is nothin. And there ain't no world but this one.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Kim Ji-Woon is among my favorite directors right now, so I'm definitely gonna watch his US feature debut. I'm not so sure about the casting of Arnold on this one though (it doesn't look like a great move considering all the negative controversies he's been involved in). I wish Liam Neeson stayed (he was the originally set to play the lead role), it probably would've been more badass, but we'll see.
BLU-RAY WISHLIST: Before Trilogy | The Circus | Cure | The Decalogue | Departures | It's Such a Beautiful Day | Linda Linda Linda | The Man Who Planted Trees | Mon Oncle d'Amérique | My Sassy Girl | The Red Balloon | Roman Holiday | Woman in the Dunes

TOP 10 OF 2014: Boyhood | The Raid 2 | Guardians of the Galaxy | X-Men: DoFP | We Are the Best! | Life Itself | The Double | Gone Girl | Nightcrawler | Edge of Tomorrow
Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

yeah i was bummed when Liam Neeson dropped out, but this is just as awesome imo. im glad Arnie is doing something different and not doing some sort of lame big hollywood movie. he just needs to get in shape, if Sly can still be kicking ass theres no reason Arnold cant.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

Doesn't Sly take a crap ton of HGH? lol

I wonder if Arnold can firm back up, that would be cool to see him back on screen kicking butt.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

its official!!
Quote:
Schwarzenegger will be starring as Sheriff Owens, a man who has resigned himself to a life of fighting what little crime takes place in sleepy border town Sommerton Junction after leaving his LAPD post following a bungled operation that left him wracked with failure and defeat after his partner was crippled. After a spectacular escape from an FBI prisoner convoy, the most notorious, wanted drug kingpin in the hemisphere is hurtling toward the border at 200 mph in a specially outfitted car with a hostage and a fierce army of gang members. He is headed, it turns out, straight for Summerton Junction, where the whole of U.S. law enforcement will have their last opportunity to make a stand and intercept him before he slips across the border forever. At first reluctant to become involved, and then counted out because of the perceived ineptitude of his small town force, Owens ultimately accepts responsibility for one of the most daring face offs in cinema history.
source

sounds amazing!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

release date is January 18, 2013.
so far away.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Having just recently viewed I Saw the Devil & The Good, The Bad and The Weird...I'm very excited about this....but damn 2013?? I thought the world was scheduled to end in 2012?
Thanks for the info, OP!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Having just recently viewed I Saw the Devil & The Good, The Bad and The Weird...I'm very excited about this....but damn 2013?? I thought the world was scheduled to end in 2012?
Thanks for the info, OP!
While waiting, check out Ji-woon Kim's A Bittersweet Life. One of the best revenge movies out there.
BLU-RAY WISHLIST: Before Trilogy | The Circus | Cure | The Decalogue | Departures | It's Such a Beautiful Day | Linda Linda Linda | The Man Who Planted Trees | Mon Oncle d'Amérique | My Sassy Girl | The Red Balloon | Roman Holiday | Woman in the Dunes

TOP 10 OF 2014: Boyhood | The Raid 2 | Guardians of the Galaxy | X-Men: DoFP | We Are the Best! | Life Itself | The Double | Gone Girl | Nightcrawler | Edge of Tomorrow
Old 07-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #12
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvince View Post
While waiting, check out Ji-woon Kim's A Bittersweet Life. One of the best revenge movies out there.
Better than Oldboy? Okay, thanks for the info!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin

Quote:
TORONTO - The Last Stand, directed by Kim Jee Woon and produced by Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, has started production in New Mexico and Nevada.
our editor recommendsArnold Schwarzenegger to Star in Modern-Day Western 'The Last Stand'
Arnold & Maria: The Fallout

Besides lead Arnold Schwarzenegger, the latest talent line up from Lionsgate includes Forest Whitaker, Luis Guzman, Johnny Knoxville, Jaimie Alexander, Eduardo Noriega and Harry Dean Stanton.

The modern western drama portrays an ageing small-town sheriff who finds himself and his inexperienced staff as the only thing standing in between a fugitive cartel leader and the Mexican border.

Korean action-suspense master Kim Jee-Woon is directing the film, which is based on a spec script by Andrew Knauer that was rewritten by Jeffrey Nachmanoff.

Lionsgate has domestic and international distribution rights.

Knoxville is repped by CAA, Guzman is repped by the Gersh Agency, and Whitaker is represented by WME.

Stanton is repped by Bresler-Kelly and Associates.
Source - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...duction-249323
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 10-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

Harry Dean Stanton??? whaaat? theres no way this movie wont be amazing.
really interesting cast so far. strange the article doesnt mention Peter Stomare.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #15

Aug 2011

Why Arnold? He's gonna ruin this film with his horrible acting. I'm a huge Kim ji Woon fan but I think he's making a big mistake casting Arnold. Had it starred someone else I would've been there opening day. Man, Liam Neeson in a Kim Ji Woon film would've been awesome. What a bummer, this film could've been great.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Cali
Send a message via AIM to JonD7 Send a message via MSN to JonD7 Send a message via Yahoo to JonD7

Quote:
Originally Posted by *DrStrangelove* View Post
Why Arnold? He's gonna ruin this film with his horrible acting. I'm a huge Kim ji Woon fan but I think he's making a big mistake casting Arnold. Had it starred someone else I would've been there opening day. Man, Liam Neeson in a Kim Ji Woon film would've been awesome. What a bummer, this film could've been great.
I agree man.
setup:
40" Sony XBR4
PS3 320GB(originally 60GB) with 500GB external
PSN: JD777
been Blu since January 12th of '07
Old 10-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anakin View Post
That's one crazy cast. I'm not sure about Arnold as the lead, but I'm pretty excited to see this. I hope Kim Jee-woon does great.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

Old 11-04-2011, 04:47 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Cali
Send a message via AIM to JonD7 Send a message via MSN to JonD7 Send a message via Yahoo to JonD7

Ah, still so disappointed, haha!
setup:
40" Sony XBR4
PS3 320GB(originally 60GB) with 500GB external
PSN: JD777
been Blu since January 12th of '07
Old 11-04-2011, 05:10 AM   #20

Apr 2011

Arnold is THE man and my reasoning for showing up opening day. Disagree 100% about Liam. If it was Liam i'd probably netflix it or wait for hbo. This will be much more special with Arnold.

Arnold rocks in that pic btw.

Last edited by computesurf; 11-04-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies