COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Black Nativity (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$22.98
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Giver (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
That's the Way of the World (Blu-ray)
$16.07
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-24-2007, 03:12 AM   #1

Sep 2007
Default Will they remaster the Terminator movies?

As I understand it they rushed Terminator and Terminator 2 and the quality doesn't look as good as newer releases. I actually have Terminator and I'm happy with it but I've heard Judgement Day could look better and I'm hesitant to buy it. I know for The Fifth Element they remastered that on Blu-ray probably making it look better, will they remaster other movies that were "rushed" specifically Terminator 2?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #2
Special Member

Jan 2007
San Diego, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to jermwhl

Nothing official, nope. If it is bad, it would be nice though...haven't seen it personally (on BD that is).
60" Pioneer Elite Plasma
60GB PS3
Onkyo TX-SR705
TIVO HD
Old 09-24-2007, 03:22 AM   #3

Sep 2007

thanks for the reply, as for people that have Terminator 2 on Blu-ray is this worth picking it up as it is?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2007
Hell-y-wood, FL

Look at it this way, both T1 and T2 had about three different versions on DVD, so I think it's a safe bet that somewhere down the line we'll see improved versions of both on Blu-ray. I've rented T1 about 2 months ago and thought it was pretty good, not a phenomenal improvement over DVD, but it is fairly substantial. I won't even rent T2 until they at least release the 93' director cut of that.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:31 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Lakeland,FL
Send a message via AIM to dgator783

I got both T1 and T2 and think they both look pretty good...I give them a passable grade....these are first releases so its not gonna blow minds but it is an improvment over dvd...
Old 09-24-2007, 03:37 AM   #6

Aug 2007
Huskerland

Well, T2 doesn't have uncompressed audio, so until they add that I won't buy it. And T2 is one of my all time favs. But since it doesn't have LPCM, and they came out with 3-4 different versions on DVD, I'll wait and get it when it has LPCM, and probably improved PQ.

-K
Old 09-24-2007, 03:42 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Cali
Send a message via AIM to JonD7 Send a message via MSN to JonD7 Send a message via Yahoo to JonD7

T2 in my opinion was a big improvement compared to the DVD, I say its worth the buy.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Indianapolis, IN

I have T2 and think it looks and sounds good. I'd like to see it with an AVC-MPEG4 and lossless audio codecs. I haven't seen the first film yet but will rent this from my local BB. As for T3, Warner is putting this out and will only have a VC-1 and DD encode, due to the linitations with Hd Dvd.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:49 AM   #9

Nov 2006
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskr121 View Post
As I understand it they rushed Terminator and Terminator 2 and the quality doesn't look as good as newer releases. I actually have Terminator and I'm happy with it but I've heard Judgement Day could look better and I'm hesitant to buy it. I know for The Fifth Element they remastered that on Blu-ray probably making it look better, will they remaster other movies that were "rushed" specifically Terminator 2?
These are handled by different studios. The Terminator is put out by MGM (via Fox) and Terminator 2 is from Lionsgate.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Special Edition version of T2. Like other Cameron films, the compromise for Hollwood execs version is a pale comparison to the Director's Cut.

T2, Aliens, and The Abyss are all films that only fully make sense with the Director's Cut.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:53 AM   #10
Special Member

Dec 2006
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post
These are handled by different studios. The Terminator is put out by MGM (via Fox) and Terminator 2 is from Lionsgate.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Special Edition version of T2. Like other Cameron films, the compromise for Hollwood execs version is a pale comparison to the Director's Cut.

T2, Aliens, and The Abyss are all films that only fully make sense with the Director's Cut.
I agree. +100
8 Panasonic plasmas
Old 09-24-2007, 06:19 AM   #11

Aug 2007

so how does t2 extreme version dvd fare against bd version ?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #12
Banned

Aug 2007
Chicago, IL

I have part 1 on Blu-Ray and it looks great.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2007

I have both and they are definitely worth the buy. Great PQ as far as I'm concerned as well as great flics.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #14

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post
I have both and they are definitely worth the buy. Great PQ as far as I'm concerned as well as great flics.
Unfortunately, T2 lacks the uber-extended directors cut that you could access by entering a code on the DVD version. Until that appears on BD, I'll hold off.

I'd also like to see at least the extras ('cause they were pretty darn good) from the original releases of each ported over, but first and foremost, just give the best sound and picture quality possible.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2007
Grand Rapids, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by C6 Z06 View Post
I agree. +100
Absolutely!
500gb PS3
PSNetwork ID: Magic13
Old 09-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #16

Sep 2007
Philippines

Them Europeans have a remastered director's cut in 1080P/24 coming out soon, but in HalfDead DUD...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7A4UKRwSZZo
BD Lover=107
Old 09-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #17

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post

Cameron had final cut on T2 and has said the cuts he made were to create a tighter version of the movie. The special edition adds moments back in for fans, but nothing is truly missing. IIRC, the only main edition is the surgery on the T2, the other moments are small bits that aren't needed - the second Terminator learning the dog's name isn't Wolfie, etc.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #18
Special Member

Jun 2007
Clearwater FL

I am skipping many movies that have poor video quality, especially warner brothers movies, those guys need to do much more!
Warner Brothers needs their blu-ray department remastered!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:30 PM   #19

Aug 2007
The Negative Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objectivity View Post
Cameron had final cut on T2 and has said the cuts he made were to create a tighter version of the movie. The special edition adds moments back in for fans, but nothing is truly missing. IIRC, the only main edition is the surgery on the T2, the other moments are small bits that aren't needed - the second Terminator learning the dog's name isn't Wolfie, etc.
I would say I totally disagree. I didn't much care for the original movie, but the extended edition added in a lot of really nice moments that made me absolutely love it. I especially like the scene where they open up the terminator to reprogram his CPU, which was a very important character building moment for John. The fatherly moments with John and the Termitor at the camp. Sarah's dream about Reese. The extended scenes at Dyson's house. And the ending changes actually made it make sense when there was an actual reason why Sarah could tell the 2 terminators apart.

But they could skip the part where John tries to teach the Terminator to smile, kind of funny but also a bit cringe-inducing at the same time. But it does set up the moment later on when he picks up the minigun and flashes the sh*t-eating grin.

Personally, I think Aliens is the one James Cameron movie where the theatrical version is better than the extended cut. It just seems a bit convenient that it was Newt's parents who were sent out to investigate the ship. I sort of liked getting to see the colony pre-Alien infestation, but it really didn't move the plot along. The only really necessary scenes were those that built up the mother-daughter relationships (Burke talking to Ripley about her daughter, Ripley and Newt discussing where babies come from, etc.). But the turrent guns were wasted time just to watch a counter and a couple of guns fire into darkness.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #20
Blu-ray Baron

May 2007
Send a message via AIM to Lord_Stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskr121 View Post
i know what you mean, you can always contact the studio.
Victory Is Mine

Don't even think about it
Obey the Topus!
PSN ID: Shadblz
OBEY ME OR I WILL PUT YOU ON DIAPER DETAIL
THE CLINTS CHARTER MEMBER 01/06/10
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America