COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
House of Bodies (Blu-ray)
$13.48
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Les MisÚrables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Endeavour: Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.69
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Revolution: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$17.96
The Last Unicorn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Napoleon Dynamite (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 10:29 PM   #1001
Proteus Proteus is offline
Power Member
 
Proteus's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
SoCal PSN:CaptBurn
Default

Well...

This has been a massive disappointment.

I have no idea why movie studios would think anything about UltraViolet was good.

It is a crap service and its' broken. You can't even GET to your locker or access redemptions or even link Flixter accounts.

Did anyone else notice that you DO NOT get to keep the digital copy from UV? Streaming and download is limited to three years from redemption.

You are also limited to only three downloads (so much for six people accessing).

The whole thing is one big lie to the consumer. What was so bad about iTunes? Really?

PLEASE can we have iTunes digital copies back??
Tell movies studios you DO NOT WANT UltraViolet. Tell them you want real digital copies that you can actually USE. Tell them to go back to the ease of use and convenience of iTunes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #1002
Hunk Golden Hunk Golden is offline
Special Member
 
Hunk Golden's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
IOW(BL)A(H)
3
2041
566
1
Default

UV is lame-o. Allow people their choice of iTunes or UV...include both. Hope it withers and dies.

Was surprised that my local crap Target was out of this by noon. They had the DVD and the single disk Blu, no combo packs. The guy was kind of a dick about it. Should've made him write me up a rain check, but I wasn't thinking that far ahead.

BB had a bunch of them. Steelbook is nice, but I don't want DVD container. I'd prefer to buy it at Target anyway. I know this will go down in price by the end of the year. With Target you can do a return/rebuy. Scum's Club didn't have the combo pack for sale. Just the DVD.

Rented this and (finally) Thor from Blockbuster. Looking forward to checking it out.
"Who is Guy..Meatdrapes? What kinda' name is that?" "Um..it's um..Medrapades sir, it's uh, it's Greek." "Well I think you're pronouncing it wrong. This says Meatdrapes." "It's actually pronounced, um, Medrapades." "Well why doesn't it sound like that when I say it? Meatdrapes."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #1003
Dark.Devil.21 Dark.Devil.21 is offline
Special Member
 
Dark.Devil.21's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Well...

This has been a massive disappointment.

I have no idea why movie studios would think anything about UltraViolet was good.

It is a crap service and its' broken. You can't even GET to your locker or access redemptions or even link Flixter accounts.

Did anyone else notice that you DO NOT get to keep the digital copy from UV? Streaming and download is limited to three years from redemption.

You are also limited to only three downloads (so much for six people accessing).

The whole thing is one big lie to the consumer. What was so bad about iTunes? Really?

PLEASE can we have iTunes digital copies back??
So you're having the same problem as I. I mean I redeemed Green Lantern and it said it has been added to my collection. But I can't even access my Collection. It keeps giving me error.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #1004
Proteus Proteus is offline
Power Member
 
Proteus's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
SoCal PSN:CaptBurn
Default

I don't know if anyone else took the time to read the _separate_ privacy policy for Flixter Collections App when going through this hell...

It says they get to access your Facebook profile and all your friends in your friends list, your photos, etc. Everything. It stores your account ID for social networking services as well. You agree to all of it when you install it.

It also gets to dig into your Netflix account (if you have one) and grab all of your information from there.

Further, it indexes your entire movie collection and if you remove it you 'may' lose access to some of the other titles you obtained licenses to prior to installing Flixster Collections App.

This is some serious bull. The privacy violations are astronomical. It doesn't work.

I guess we don't need to pollute the Green Lantern thread about this as it's supposed to be about the movie. Just so happens it's one of the first two (Horrible Bosses being the other) to use the crap service.

I don't know where to turn. 'Back in the day' we could post on Bluray.com and top executives from studios were regularly prowling around here and things would get to the right channels quickly and changes made; however, I think it may have grown beyond that now.

Does anyone know any contact information for WB, and other participating studios, where we can flood them with feedback and it would actually be acknowledged?

We have got to organize and change this fast. This is simply unacceptable. I've never pirated movies... EVER. But, at this point I can not see any other alternative to ensure the movies I paid for, that included digital copy in that license, can be enjoyed in the format I need them for my travels, etc. And, we all know that is a slippery slope that I'm certain I am not the only person considering after this. Frankly, it's way too easy for me to just download whatever resolution of the movie I want and watch it whenever I want on whatever I want without any of this extra hassle.

When will the industry 'get it'? The music industry is even too stupid to realize that iTunes saved it's arse with their new rhetoric about it destroying them. News flash: It's not iTunes hurting the music and movie industries... It's old business models that do not work with modern connectivity. iTunes is the only thing keeping them alive.
Tell movies studios you DO NOT WANT UltraViolet. Tell them you want real digital copies that you can actually USE. Tell them to go back to the ease of use and convenience of iTunes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #1005
diL diL is online now
Senior Member
 
diL's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
589
137
72
Default

I have to say that the UV digital copy sounded like a bad idea, but I like the simplicity. No more uploading onto the laptop, syncing, etc. I can understand people not liking the streaming aspect, but it is very user friendly and much faster than downloading to itunes. Doesn't hurt that it comes with Emerald Knights either.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #1006
tkdkid717 tkdkid717 is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2009
199
Default

For anyone that has it already, or is going to get it, can you please tell me if you hear a an audible pop right after Paralax says "You are afraid" right at the beginning of the film? thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #1007
Dark.Devil.21 Dark.Devil.21 is offline
Special Member
 
Dark.Devil.21's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
It says they get to access your Facebook profile and all your friends in your friends list, your photos, etc. Everything. It stores your account ID for social networking services as well. You agree to all of it when you install it.

It also gets to dig into your Netflix account (if you have one) and grab all of your information from there.

Further, it indexes your entire movie collection and if you remove it you 'may' lose access to some of the other titles you obtained licenses to prior to installing Flixster Collections App.
Actually when you install that you have the option to un-check that. That way they cannot access your facebook and netflix accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Does anyone know any contact information for WB, and other participating studios, where we can flood them with feedback and it would actually be acknowledged?
It's not gonna happen. Warner's not the only studio who entered Ultraviolet. Apparently Sony will Start with Smurfs and Friends with Benefits.

Paramount, Fox, Universal will start early next year.

Leaving Disney who apparently have their own version of Ultraviolet in mind called KeyChest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #1008
Hunk Golden Hunk Golden is offline
Special Member
 
Hunk Golden's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
IOW(BL)A(H)
3
2041
566
1
Default

Does anybody know how to tell which is which at BB's site? They have the price next to it, obviously. But the photo is the same for two of them (of those 2, I'm sure the $18 means it's the single-disk). There's no photo for the 3rd. Maybe that's the steelbook(?) Confusing. It's like you need the SKU # or something.
"Who is Guy..Meatdrapes? What kinda' name is that?" "Um..it's um..Medrapades sir, it's uh, it's Greek." "Well I think you're pronouncing it wrong. This says Meatdrapes." "It's actually pronounced, um, Medrapades." "Well why doesn't it sound like that when I say it? Meatdrapes."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #1009
Lsalas76 Lsalas76 is offline
Power Member
 
Lsalas76's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chicago, IL
540
30
1
87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Well...

This has been a massive disappointment.

I have no idea why movie studios would think anything about UltraViolet was good.

It is a crap service and its' broken. You can't even GET to your locker or access redemptions or even link Flixter accounts.

Did anyone else notice that you DO NOT get to keep the digital copy from UV? Streaming and download is limited to three years from redemption.

You are also limited to only three downloads (so much for six people accessing).

The whole thing is one big lie to the consumer. What was so bad about iTunes? Really?

PLEASE can we have iTunes digital copies back??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunk Golden View Post
UV is lame-o. Allow people their choice of iTunes or UV...include both. Hope it withers and dies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark.Devil.21 View Post
So you're having the same problem as I. I mean I redeemed Green Lantern and it said it has been added to my collection. But I can't even access my Collection. It keeps giving me error.
Alright I'm not even going to bother "downloading" my ultra violet digital copy of Green Lantern then. Maybe if no one downloads them the studios will see that people are not giving into this crap. Is there a number to call Warner and complain. Also maybe if we round up enough people we can get Warner to give us a code or something to redeem in itunes or whatever. I read other threads and posts on other websites about people being upset that Horrible Bosses(the first movie to have an ultra violet dc) was not itunes compatible,etc, etc. I really wanted to have a digital copy of GL on my apple devices. Its stupid that they will run out in 3 years whats the point then. Regular digital copy codes expire most of the time but once you redeem the code (before the expiration date) you will have access to watch the movie anytime you want until eternity.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 PM   #1010
Hunk Golden Hunk Golden is offline
Special Member
 
Hunk Golden's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
IOW(BL)A(H)
3
2041
566
1
Default

Does anybody know how to tell which is which at BB's site? They have the price next to it, obviously. But the photo is the same for two of them (of those 2, I'm sure the $18 means it's the single-disk). There's no photo for the 3rd. Maybe that's the steelbook(?) Confusing. It's like you need the SKU # or something.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...egories&ks=960

edit: Apologies for the dbl post.
"Who is Guy..Meatdrapes? What kinda' name is that?" "Um..it's um..Medrapades sir, it's uh, it's Greek." "Well I think you're pronouncing it wrong. This says Meatdrapes." "It's actually pronounced, um, Medrapades." "Well why doesn't it sound like that when I say it? Meatdrapes."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #1011
Dark.Devil.21 Dark.Devil.21 is offline
Special Member
 
Dark.Devil.21's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunk Golden View Post
Does anybody know how to tell which is which at BB's site? They have the price next to it, obviously. But the photo is the same for two of them (of those 2, I'm sure the $18 means it's the single-disk). There's no photo for the 3rd. Maybe that's the steelbook(?) Confusing. It's like you need the SKU # or something.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...egories&ks=960

edit: Apologies for the dbl post.
The one with no pic is Steelbook. Just clicked on the steelbook in their weekly ad and then clicked full details and it took me to the page with no picture blu-ray.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #1012
Hunk Golden Hunk Golden is offline
Special Member
 
Hunk Golden's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
IOW(BL)A(H)
3
2041
566
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark.Devil.21 View Post
The one with no pic is Steelbook. Just clicked on the steelbook in their weekly ad and then clicked full details and it took me to the page with no picture blu-ray.
Cool. Thanks!
"Who is Guy..Meatdrapes? What kinda' name is that?" "Um..it's um..Medrapades sir, it's uh, it's Greek." "Well I think you're pronouncing it wrong. This says Meatdrapes." "It's actually pronounced, um, Medrapades." "Well why doesn't it sound like that when I say it? Meatdrapes."
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #1013
Dark.Devil.21 Dark.Devil.21 is offline
Special Member
 
Dark.Devil.21's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsalas76 View Post
Alright I'm not even going to bother "downloading" my ultra violet digital copy of Green Lantern then. Maybe if no one downloads them the studios will see that people are not giving into this crap. Is there a number to call Warner and complain. Also maybe if we round up enough people we can get Warner to give us a code or something to redeem in itunes or whatever. I read other threads and posts on other websites about people being upset that Horrible Bosses(the first movie to have an ultra violet dc) was not itunes compatible,etc, etc. I really wanted to have a digital copy of GL on my apple devices. Its stupid that they will run out in 3 years whats the point then. Regular digital copy codes expire most of the time but once you redeem the code (before the expiration date) you will have access to watch the movie anytime you want until eternity.
Doesn't matter if you download or not. What I mean is that I can't access my movie in collections tab on flixster's website. Basically I can't even stream it online.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #1014
Proteus Proteus is offline
Power Member
 
Proteus's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
SoCal PSN:CaptBurn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diL View Post
I have to say that the UV digital copy sounded like a bad idea, but I like the simplicity. No more uploading onto the laptop, syncing, etc. I can understand people not liking the streaming aspect, but it is very user friendly and much faster than downloading to itunes. Doesn't hurt that it comes with Emerald Knights either.....
There is no simplicity though. Extra apps to manage, movies spread across multiple accounts on multiple services, limited downloads, etc.

The limited downloads breaks it right there... I can only download it three times and apparently there is no just copying it to another device option so you use up your downloads in three devices.

Streaming is great... IF you a) don't have video or sound quality concerns (i.e. small laptop, phone, ipad, whatever screen/speakers), your bandwidth can handle it, you don't have bandwidth caps from your ISP, etc.

Streaming is NOT AN OPTION for mobile. When typical contracts on ATT and Verizon cap at 2g data you can't stream... not to mention the pitifully slow connections that simply can not handle it. Streaming is not a solution for people who travel. You must have a copy of the film on your device. When traveling, particularly internationally, even wifi is severely hampered in many locations and streaming does not work. In fact, you can't even access UltraViolet in a lot of countries (not to mention they limited you to access from within North America only). Hope you have a VPN with a US base set up!

Bottomline: It makes it too much of a pain in the arse. As a consumer, all I want is to buy a movie once for $24 or whatever, and watch it on anything I want, whenever I want for as long into the future as I want. That's it. Simple. Unfortunately, contrary to UV's claims, they do not provide any of this. iTunes actually does. I'm confused by the download time comment about iTunes as well... You do know you can watch your movie while it is downloading, right? Only difference between iTunes and conventional streaming is when the movie is over with iTunes you have a copy of the movie on your drive so you can immediately watch it again or put it on any device you like.
Tell movies studios you DO NOT WANT UltraViolet. Tell them you want real digital copies that you can actually USE. Tell them to go back to the ease of use and convenience of iTunes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #1015
Lsalas76 Lsalas76 is offline
Power Member
 
Lsalas76's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chicago, IL
540
30
1
87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunk Golden View Post
Cool. Thanks!
the sku for the steelbook is 3477047 and yes its the one without the picture
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #1016
Dark.Devil.21 Dark.Devil.21 is offline
Special Member
 
Dark.Devil.21's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
74
Default

Am I the only one not being able to stream movie from their website?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #1017
Amonthar Amonthar is offline
Member
 
Apr 2010
69
Default

This Ultra Violet thing has been total garbage for me.

I am done buying WB Blu-rays with digital copies until this is changed. I was so aggravated with trying to get it to work I wanted to throw both discs in the garbage to just not even remind me of this junk.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #1018
Dark.Devil.21 Dark.Devil.21 is offline
Special Member
 
Dark.Devil.21's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amonthar View Post
This Ultra Violet thing has been total garbage for me.

I am done buying WB Blu-rays with digital copies until this is changed. I was so aggravated with trying to get it to work I wanted to throw both discs in the garbage to just not even remind me of this junk.
You do realize that every studio is going to join Ultraviolet by the end of the year.

Beside, you're done with Warner Blu-Rays. What are gonna do next year when The Dark Knight Rises comes out?

The best thing we can do now is not use Ultraviolet. The moment studios realize that people are not using Ultraviolet, they might end up putting regular DC back.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #1019
mport5150 mport5150 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
mport5150's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
The Shire
32
1190
301
2
8
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark.Devil.21 View Post
You do realize that every studio is going to join Ultraviolet by the end of the year.

Beside, you're done with Warner Blu-Rays. What are gonna do next year when The Dark Knight Rises comes out?

The best thing we can do now is not use Ultraviolet. The moment studios realize that people are not using Ultraviolet, they might end up putting regular DC back.


This is what I am doing.....not partaking at all....
Planet of the Apes: 40 Year Evolution Collection #1 - 4/20/10, The Outlaw Josey Wales (Digibook) #100 - 2/1/11, Flags of our Fathers - #200 - 7/1/11, Raging Bull #300 - 1/10/12, Justice League:Doom #400 - 5/26/12, Kagemusha:Criterion #500 - 7/21/12, The Game:Criterion #600 - 10/31/12, Dawn of the Dead #700 - 1/20/13, Battlestar Galactica (1978) #800 - 5/19/13, Boardwalk Empire S1 #900 - 8/22/13, Lethal Weapon Collection #1000 -12/3/2013, Sherlock S3 #1100 - 4/29/14

My Criterion Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #1020
Dark.Devil.21 Dark.Devil.21 is offline
Special Member
 
Dark.Devil.21's Avatar
 
Aug 2011
74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mport5150 View Post
[/B]

This is what I am doing.....not partaking at all....
I am just gonna use the codes to get my points on insider rewards and then trash the voucher as I am not gonna use ultraviolet. As a matter of fact I am gonna close my Ultraviolet and Flixster accounts. I mean screw this, I just redeemed Green Lantern UV Digital Copy and also got Green Lantern: Emerald Knights Digital Copy as a gift included, but what's the point when I can't even watch them on flixster account.

Last edited by Dark.Devil.21; 10-14-2011 at 11:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 PM.