COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.79
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.66
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
Congo (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #1

Jun 2009
Huntington Beach California
Default Are 3D TVs worth it?

I'm thinking of getting one but is it really worth the upgrade?
How much better is it?
Please explain
The jabroni beating, pie eating, trail blazing, eye brow raising, the best in the present, future and past, and if yall dont like me you can kiss the peoples ass!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #2

May 2011
Wink

I'll tell you why I decided that upgrading to a 3D tv was good for me and maybe you'll have similar reasons to make the switch. Before I bought my new (3D) tv last December I was using a 42" Panasonic plasma. I've owned the Panasonic for a few years and I've always been really impressed with the picture quality but secretly wanted to own a VT model as well. I also play video games (PS3) occasionally and enjoy watching animated films. So for Christmas my wife and I decided the Panasonic VT20 was a good match for us since it had a bigger screen, excellent picture quality reviews, and 3D.

Since I first set up the tv I've played a few games in the 3D and although the glasses can get uncomfortable after awhile it still really helped to immerse me more in the game. I own several 3D movies, most of which are animated films, and in my opinion the 3D effect is better than what you see in the theatre. The only issue I've ran into since buying the tv is with the fact that my home theater reciever doesnt support 3D, which is upsetting since it is still pretty new. So anyways if you have a similar situation to me I hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

Mar 2011

Todays 3D works very well, people aren't dropping like flies and throwing up every time they see the 3rd dimension nor are the images dim and the depth shallow. Most of these complaints are judgmental people parroting other judgmental people on the internet. Truth is, buy the good gear and you WILL have a great experience. Different sound systems produce different sound quality and so do different 3D displays. But even the worse on the market , LCD, can be fun to watch.

So, the question is, do want it or not.

I own a VT25 and a 3D DLP projection system. Personally, I think adding the third dimension is incredible, but there's a small learning curve as well. Be sure to research well before committing to a purchase and also, be skeptical of in-store demos. Sometimes they do the equipment justice, but they can also fail miserably. For instance, the best buy in my area had botched the VT25 demo so badly that if it had been my first impression I would have passed it by. I know BB ruined the demo though because I own the VT25 - and it's 3D is astounding. Comes close to DLP. Anyways, just a mild word of warning.

Good luck.

Last edited by etype55; 07-15-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Expert Member

Aug 2007

if you've been to the theater and you enjoy that type of medium....then its worth it. if you didn't like it there....u don't need it in your house. its a personal preference thing.
Basement: | Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Da-Lite 119" Screen | Paradigm PW-2200 | PCH A200| Oppo-93 | PS3 Slim | Xbox 360 | Integra 40.3 | APC H15 | Polk | eD A5-350 | XPA-5 | Harmony 1100
PSN IDs:xx_b00st_xx & T3DDY_PA1N
Xbox: x MeTHoDiCaL

Please visit my Home Theater, still on going... http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...p?member=b00st
Old 07-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer55 View Post
How much better is it?
Please explain
For watching 3-D Blu-rays, they're just the thing.

Seriously, for me, it's been another step in "Reasons not to go to the theater"--3-D used to be the one thing that would get me out to the mall plex, but as the active-shutter 3-D is actually BETTER than the ghost Real-3D from the projectors, I'm actually staying home now and waiting for Pirates 4 and Deathly Hallows.
It hasn't been a "fad", just another step in evolution.

(But then, I've got a Panasonic, so can't speak for other folks' models.)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2007

I agree, i had to keep picking my jaw back up off the ground while watching avatar on my gt-30 panny for the first time last week.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2007
South Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
I agree, i had to keep picking my jaw back up off the ground while watching avatar on my gt-30 panny for the first time last week.
My dad actually just got a gt-30. Havent seen the 3d yet, but the picture is great(we only watched netflix) and I havent noticed the floating blacks or the buzz that people complain about. I know my post doesnt count, because I dont own a 3d tv but i think im gonna go for the gt-30 real soon after seeing my dads. He just needs a damn player then I'll check the 3d out.
Home Theater- Panasonic AE2000U projector/ Elite 106"screen/ Pioneer Elite 91 TXH receiver / Panamax M4300/ Sony s350/160GB PS3/ Emotiva XPA-3/
Polk RTi10 fronts/ Polk DSWpro 600/ Polk LSiC center/ Polk RTi A1 surrounds/ Polk OWM3 rears/ Buttkicker
Living Room & Basement- 40" sony 1080p / 40" sony KDL40v4100/Panasonic BD10A/ Sony S370 BD player
PS3 60gb/ onkyo 7.1 SR-800 HTIB
PSN- alkalinesi/oskerSI
Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #8

Mar 2011
Massachusetts

3DTV is well worth the investment. I own a Samsung and I have been EXTREMELY pleased with the output and performance. Watching 3D movies at home is so much more enjoyable than the theaters. The clarity, the depth, the popout, I mean I could keep going. 3D Blu-ray will blow your mind...guarenteed. The Samsung glasses are very lightweight and comfortable, they never cause eye strain or headaches, at least not for me or any of my guests.

The best feeling is bringing somebody over that's never seen 3D, or at least Good 3D. Their reactions really help reinforce the reasons you chose to make this type of investment. But like others have said, make sure you do your research! Good luck P.S. Go with an active shutter display.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007

i wouldn't consider 3D TV an investment The ROI is negative

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that....go and test it out for yourself and decide.

All I can say that I enjoy watching 3D

Life is short...treat yourself out if you like 3D. Who know what's going to happen to you tomorrow...life is unpredictable...
Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
Special Member

Aug 2007

Regardless though good 3d sets are great for 2d watching also.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #11

Mar 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal_sun View Post
i wouldn't consider 3D TV an investment
To each his own partner.

Last edited by MiC. HD; 07-15-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Are 3D TVs worth it?

No.

But 3D projectors are...
Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
Expert Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Are 3D TVs worth it?

No.

But 3D projectors are...
yeah i kinda feel that way. i enjoy my 3DTV however...the proposed "pop out" is nothing like that of the project. honestly when compared a 3D project on popout its night and day. projector being vastly superior in that category.

i'd say there is more depth on 3DTVs...the popout in comparison is minimal to that of a projector. my experience is on my friends JVC RS40 that i setup. loved the performance and 3Dness of it. my tv is nothing in its wake. i still enjoy it. i love gaming in 3d but i think its something to do with the light being emitted to the screen that gives it the pop out. like on TANGLED or AVATAR....those pop out effects are nowhere near the same on my TV vs the projector.
Basement: | Panasonic PT-AE7000 | Da-Lite 119" Screen | Paradigm PW-2200 | PCH A200| Oppo-93 | PS3 Slim | Xbox 360 | Integra 40.3 | APC H15 | Polk | eD A5-350 | XPA-5 | Harmony 1100
PSN IDs:xx_b00st_xx & T3DDY_PA1N
Xbox: x MeTHoDiCaL

Please visit my Home Theater, still on going... http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...p?member=b00st
Old 07-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #14

Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiC. HD View Post
3DTV is well worth the investment. I own a Samsung and I have been EXTREMELY pleased with the output and performance. Watching 3D movies at home is so much more enjoyable than the theaters. The clarity, the depth, the popout, I mean I could keep going. 3D Blu-ray will blow your mind...guarenteed. The Samsung glasses are very lightweight and comfortable, they never cause eye strain or headaches, at least not for me or any of my guests.

The best feeling is bringing somebody over that's never seen 3D, or at least Good 3D. Their reactions really help reinforce the reasons you chose to make this type of investment. But like others have said, make sure you do your research! Good luck P.S. Go with an active shutter display.
I couldn't agree more. I just got a Samsung UN55C8000 (open box amazing price from Amazon Warehouse Deals) and I always loved the set when I saw it in Best Buy but I cannot believe how good the picture is in my family room... for everything. I'm not sure about other 3D sets but the Samsung offers the ability to turn 2D into 3D and it works better than I ever expected. The only complaint that I would have is that it seems to make EVERYTHING 3D in 2D - 3D mode (little details that shouldn't be in 3D that wouldn't be if it were a true 3D program are in 3D) but hey, for what it does, it's a small complaint.

I put the 2D-3D on and the Auto Motion Plus last night and experimented with the DVD of The Empire Strikes Back on the PS3 and I swear to you that it looked as good as Blu-Ray and better than Blu-Ray on my Mitsubishi WD65C8 1080p DLP. Not to mention that the 2D - 3D looked REALLY good, as well. Keep in mind that I'm one of those people that giggles and chortles at other people to their faces when they tell me that upconverted DVD looks as good as Blu-Ray. This set is simply amazing. I can only imagine how sexy the actual Blu-Ray will look on it when it comes out in two months.

One more thing: I'm a hater of 3D. I hate the entire concept in theaters. I think it's an overused gimmick to rape the consumer with high prices and when I see 3D in the theater, my eyes literally adjust in under two minutes so that my brain doesn't even notice it after that. That being said, I didn't even care about the 3D feature on my Sammy before I started playing with it. I just thought the picture on the set was so tits, that I had to have it. But now, after experiencing it for myself on the set, I LOVE 3D.

... And I haven't even calibrated the damned thing, yet.

Going to run an experiment when my cousin comes over this weekend (he hasn't seen the new set). I'm going to tell him that I got an advanced bootleg copy of Empireon Blu-Ray play the DVD and see if he can tell the difference. He's another giggler/chortler but I bet he can't. Then I'm going to put the 3D glasses on him and make him pee himself.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #15
Power Member

Jan 2007
Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer55 View Post
How much better is it?
Please explain
OMG yes.

I just got a samsung 3D set (46", 240Hz) and the active eyewear uses blue-tooth. With the lights off 3D looks like you're watching *actual objects* moving in front of you... not "a movie in 3D". Tangled in 3D was like looking into another world. It's virtual reality, and for 3D movies done well, it's like taking a trip into another world.
LOSSLESS audio... something that belongs on EVERY Blu-ray Disc. Every one. Warner and Paramount: take a lesson.

If it's not 1.5 screen widths, it's not "Home Theater" -it's TV.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #16
Power Member

Jan 2007
Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainhawk1 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I just got a Samsung UN55C8000 (open box amazing price from Amazon Warehouse Deals) and I always loved the set when I saw it in Best Buy but I cannot believe how good the picture is in my family room... for everything. I'm not sure about other 3D sets but the Samsung offers the ability to turn 2D into 3D and it works better than I ever expected. The only complaint that I would have is that it seems to make EVERYTHING 3D in 2D - 3D mode (little details that shouldn't be in 3D that wouldn't be if it were a true 3D program are in 3D) but hey, for what it does, it's a small complaint.

I put the 2D-3D on and the Auto Motion Plus last night and experimented with the DVD of The Empire Strikes Back on the PS3 and I swear to you that it looked as good as Blu-Ray and better than Blu-Ray on my Mitsubishi WD65C8 1080p DLP. Not to mention that the 2D - 3D looked REALLY good, as well. Keep in mind that I'm one of those people that giggles and chortles at other people to their faces when they tell me that upconverted DVD looks as good as Blu-Ray. This set is simply amazing. I can only imagine how sexy the actual Blu-Ray will look on it when it comes out in two months.

One more thing: I'm a hater of 3D. I hate the entire concept in theaters. I think it's an overused gimmick to rape the consumer with high prices and when I see 3D in the theater, my eyes literally adjust in under two minutes so that my brain doesn't even notice it after that. That being said, I didn't even care about the 3D feature on my Sammy before I started playing with it. I just thought the picture on the set was so tits, that I had to have it. But now, after experiencing it for myself on the set, I LOVE 3D.

... And I haven't even calibrated the damned thing, yet.

Going to run an experiment when my cousin comes over this weekend (he hasn't seen the new set). I'm going to tell him that I got an advanced bootleg copy of Empireon Blu-Ray play the DVD and see if he can tell the difference. He's another giggler/chortler but I bet he can't. Then I'm going to put the 3D glasses on him and make him pee himself.
Have you watched any native 3D content on your set or just it's conversion feature? Be sure to watch some native 3D blu-ray discs... mind blowing.
LOSSLESS audio... something that belongs on EVERY Blu-ray Disc. Every one. Warner and Paramount: take a lesson.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
Power Member

Nov 2008

I just started watching 3D movies. I would say it is worth it since they really aren't much more expensive than other TV's and the next one I get will have 3D. On the other hand I will say I have been somewhat disappointed with the results, 3D still looks kinda cheesy to me and like I am looking at a pop-up book instead of true 3D. Maybe it's me and my eyes I don't know.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #18
Power Member

Jan 2007
Washington, DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronk777 View Post
I just started watching 3D movies. I would say it is worth it since they really aren't much more expensive than other TV's and the next one I get will have 3D. On the other hand I will say I have been somewhat disappointed with the results, 3D still looks kinda cheesy to me and like I am looking at a pop-up book instead of true 3D. Maybe it's me and my eyes I don't know.
Hey,

what 3D TV and what (native) 3D titles are you watching that look like pop-up layering? So far all of the native 3D I've seen on my Samsung looks continuous... even objects look round and dimensional... it's not just like layers of flat pictures with depth in between. Bottom line is that the 3D looks "real".

Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #19

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fronk777 View Post
What display do you have? The cardboard cutout effect can be a problem with source (like poorly converted movies) or incorrectly calibrated TVs. I know 3D when done well does not look like a cardboard cutout.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #20
Power Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post
Hey,

what 3D TV and what (native) 3D titles are you watching that look like pop-up layering? So far all of the native 3D I've seen on my Samsung looks continuous... even objects look round and dimensional... it's not just like layers of flat pictures with depth in between. Bottom line is that the 3D looks "real".
All movies do for me...and I have watched Drive Angry and Lion King, two movies that are generally regarded as good 3D movies. I have a Mitsubishi C9 DLP and am using the DLP Link glasses. I have ordered the IR glasses to see if there is a difference.

I also have seen Panasonic and Samsung 3D displays at different conferences or sporting events, they both looks the same to me as well. I would assume both companies would put their top of the line displays out for this, I think one of them was showing Avatar. I also wonder however, if my astigmatism has anything to do with it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays