Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Monsters University (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planes (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Feb 2010
Default WWE Blu-ray Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart set for October

very excited about this

http://www.wwedvdnews.com/shawn-mich...ies-dvd/15241/

The working title of the DVD as of now is simply, Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart.

Release date: October 25th, 2011 (US), on both DVD and Blu-ray formats.

We can also reveal WWE’s official synopsis for the set:

“For more than a decade, Bret “Hit Man” Hart and Shawn Michaels engaged in perhaps the most storied rivalry in the history of sports entertainment, from their teams (the Hart Foundation and the Rockers), through battles for the Intercontinental Championship and the richest prize in the business, the WWE Championship.

Their enmity spilled out of the ring, and led to the most infamous incident in the history of professional wrestling, The Montreal Screwjob. More than a decade later, the two men buried the hatchet as both are now WWE Hall of Famers.

Now, for the first time ever, the two sit down together and rehash their intertwined destinies in Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart. These new, never-before-aired, interviews will shed new light and insight on controversies fans have speculated about for years.”
Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Special Member

May 2010
Canada
Thumbs up

Powers that be, PLEASE add this title to the database!
"Variety is the spice of life!"
Old 07-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Power Member

Oct 2008
Scranton, PA, USA

Seems like an add choice for a blu-ray release considering the entire feud exists in SD footage only. Obviously the interview portions will be HD, but still. Not that I care all that much. I mean, I'll be buying regardless.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Expert Member

Jun 2008

Going to buy this for sure
Sony KDL46EX500 (46" LCD)
Sony BDV-E570 Home Theater system
Sony 120GB slim PS3

PSN ID: Supra49
Old 07-15-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Banned

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ator the Invincible View Post
Seems like an add choice for a blu-ray release considering the entire feud exists in SD footage only. Obviously the interview portions will be HD, but still. Not that I care all that much. I mean, I'll be buying regardless.
Who cares if the source material is SD? It will still look much better than a crappy DVD regardless being encoded in a high definiton bitrate. I haven't been so excited for a Blu-ray in a while here. This is excelent news.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

The word is WWE is planning to make more of these "rivalry" releases. Rumor is Austin vs. Rock is next.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #7

Oct 2009
In self-banned land

Damn, I kind of skimmed the title of the thread and thought they were going to have a rematch in October!

Ah well, I'll pass on it. I was, am, and always will be a fan of Bret Hart. Seeing this now would just make me mad all over again.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Power Member

Feb 2007
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ator the Invincible View Post
Seriously, I don't see the point. For a while WWE didn't care that their content was now wide screen and was still releasing all DVD's with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Now, everything is in wide screen on DVD and Blu-Ray, and it seems their video people have gotten excited about Blu-Ray and now want everything that isn't a PPV out on BD. I'm surprised The Very Best of WCW Nitro wasn't on BD.

But to officially comment on this quote, I also don't think it's necessary to release this on Blu-Ray. There's probably going to be only 2 extra's they could add that would truly benefit from a BD release. They should use that money and put it towards more TrueHD releases.
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 46" LED 3D Internet TV w/ Full 1080p
Sony S-Master STR-KS2000 AV Receiver
Sony Playstation 4 w/ 1TB
Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Banned

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by djluis2k6 View Post
Seriously, I don't see the point. For a while WWE didn't care that their content was now wide screen and was still releasing all DVD's with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Now, everything is in wide screen on DVD and Blu-Ray, and it seems their video people have gotten excited about Blu-Ray and now want everything that isn't a PPV out on BD. I'm surprised The Very Best of WCW Nitro wasn't on BD.

But to officially comment on this quote, I also don't think it's necessary to release this on Blu-Ray. There's probably going to be only 2 extra's they could add that would truly benefit from a BD release. They should use that money and put it towards more TrueHD releases.
SD video can benefit from being encoded at HD. Tired of this know it all snobbery in regards to upscales being evil for content that will never be HD. The limits of DVD can't bring out the true potential video quality for anything, let alone material shot on video. It's like people pretend that that only thing wrong with DVD is the 480 resolution.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Power Member

Feb 2007
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba View Post
SD video can benefit from being encoded at HD. Tired of this know it all snobbery in regards to upscales being evil for content that will never be HD. The limits of DVD can't bring out the true potential video quality for anything, let alone material shot on video. It's like people pretend that that only thing wrong with DVD is the 480 resolution.
What I'm saying is that WWE should focus on bringing out newer content that is already in HD, the content that truly benefits from a BD release. The transfers from tape to Blu-Ray for WWE content isn't the same as when Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory gets transferred to BD, there's not a significant difference to waste time with a BD release. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but it's disappointing that they would rather release 99% SD content onto BD, as opposed to focusing on releasing more true HD content. They didn't release every PPV in 2009 on BD, I'm sure, because they didn't think it would sale to make up for the cost of releasing them, and they're not wrong by that. But they also do just fine with their DVD sales that titles like this don't require a BD release, just focus on more true HD titles.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
Banned

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by djluis2k6 View Post
What I'm saying is that WWE should focus on bringing out newer content that is already in HD, the content that truly benefits from a BD release. The transfers from tape to Blu-Ray for WWE content isn't the same as when Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory gets transferred to BD, there's not a significant difference to waste time with a BD release. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, but it's disappointing that they would rather release 99% SD content onto BD, as opposed to focusing on releasing more true HD content. They didn't release every PPV in 2009 on BD, I'm sure, because they didn't think it would sale to make up for the cost of releasing them, and they're not wrong by that. But they also do just fine with their DVD sales that titles like this don't require a BD release, just focus on more true HD titles.
If they didn't think this would sell, they wouldn't be releasing it. Stop crying like a baby. The hardcore fans obviously want this more that matches from many of the green nobodies that couldn't work a match to save their lives that the WWE now employs. Just tough break I guess.

And nobody says it will look like a new Tim Burton movie. However, the video quality of these HD encoded matches will still be improved over shitty DVD encodes. It's well worth it imo. The point of Blu-ray is to bring out the best and most accurate picture quality possible from the source material. This will do that.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Power Member

Oct 2008
Scranton, PA, USA

Quote:
Who cares if the source material is SD? It will still look much better than a crappy DVD regardless being encoded in a high definiton bitrate. I haven't been so excited for a Blu-ray in a while here. This is excelent news.
Have you seen any of their old SD footage on their previous blu-rays? It looks bad, almost VHS quality. I didn't see any benefit at all (apart from the other HD content on the discs). WWE is still at a point where they pick and choose which releases get a BD release and which are DVD only. With that in mind, I'm surprised to see this one get a BD release considering the source.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Tampa

Quote:
If they didn't think this would sell, they wouldn't be releasing it. Stop crying like a baby. The hardcore fans obviously want this more that matches from many of the green nobodies that couldn't work a match to save their lives that the WWE now employs. Just tough break I guess.

And nobody says it will look like a new Tim Burton movie. However, the video quality of these HD encoded matches will still be improved over shitty DVD encodes. It's well worth it imo. The point of Blu-ray is to bring out the best and most accurate picture quality possible from the source material. This will do that.
Hate to burst your bubble bro but the classic matches on disc 3 of the WM 26 Blu Ray aren't that great a quality. The Jake the Snake vs Million Dollar Man match from WM 6 looks pretty close to the same as my WM 6 DVD from the anthology set. I expect this to be the same picture wise although if disc 2 has a hour or so of Blu Ray exclusive footage with a decent price point I might be in.
Top 3 most wanted blu rays 1. Hard Target 2. True Lies 3. Escape From New York 4K restoration
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
Banned

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmogav View Post
Hate to burst your bubble bro but the classic matches on disc 3 of the WM 26 Blu Ray aren't that great a quality. The Jake the Snake vs Million Dollar Man match from WM 6 looks pretty close to the same as my WM 6 DVD from the anthology set. I expect this to be the same picture wise although if disc 2 has a hour or so of Blu Ray exclusive footage with a decent price point I might be in.
Those were extras that had nothing to do with the main feature. They're going to be treated better on this set I think instead of just slapping them on. Comparing SD extras to upscaled HD main feature content is no comparison. I'm just going to assume a lot of you guys know nothing about Blu-ray at all and are just talking out of the sides of your mouth if you think there is no difference between SD upscaled to a true HD encode on a Blu-ray disc as opposed to a DVD upscaled by a Blu-ray player.

Quote:
With that in mind, I'm surprised to see this one get a BD release considering the source.
It's Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. The only people who would be surprised are the Sports Entertainment koolaid drinkers I guess.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Tampa

Quote:
Those were extras that had nothing to do with the main feature. They're going to be treated better on this set I think instead of just slapping them on. Comparing SD extras to upscaled HD main feature content is no comparison. I'm just going to assume a lot of you guys know nothing about Blu-ray at all and are just talking out of the sides of your mouth if you think there is no difference between SD upscaled to a true HD encode on a Blu-ray disc as opposed to a DVD upscaled by a Blu-ray player.

It's Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. The only people who would be surprised are the Sports Entertainment koolaid drinkers I guess.
All I'm saying is they were extras yes, but they were on a Blu Ray disc. I don't need charts or bitrate data to tell me what is and isn't aesthetically pleasing to look at. Not gonna start a back and forth argument over it just saying I'll be interested to see what the Blu Ray exclusive content is because that is what will sell me on this set not slightly better than DVD footage.
Top 3 most wanted blu rays 1. Hard Target 2. True Lies 3. Escape From New York 4K restoration

Last edited by bmogav; 07-15-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #16
Power Member

Feb 2007
-

Quote:
I'm just going to assume that you haven't even watched a WWE BD because there any a couple of BD titles that have spots of older content during the main presentation, as well as the extra's. You act as if we're speaking as experts. I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly am not speaking as an expert. I am simply just speaking as a fan of the product and what I want to see. No one is crying like a baby, as you say. This is a forum, we speak our minds however we want.

Last edited by djluis2k6; 07-16-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Detroit, MI

Any WWE Blu has my purchase, especially one with such a huge history like this one
Hate Kills Us All
Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #18
Special Member

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
The word is WWE is planning to make more of these "rivalry" releases. Rumor is Austin vs. Rock is next.
That could be OK, but I personally find the Michaels vs. Hart one much more interesting, due to the real-life animosity between the two at the time...
#1 WEE MAN FAN
http://mtrodaba2468.dvdaf.com
1000 Blu-Rays as of 11/09/13: John Cassavetes: Five Films: Criterion Collection
1200 Blu-Rays as of 4/1/14: Persona: Criterion Collection
Old 07-16-2011, 02:09 AM   #19

May 2009
New Zealand

Isn't this going to be a 'Greatest Rivalries' set, not just focused on HBK and Hitman, but others too...
Old 07-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #20
Special Member

Jul 2009
BC, Canada

God damn. I will definitely have to get my hands on this.
GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vancouver Canucks fan till the day I die! The Cup WILL be ours very soon! Better believe it! Choke on it, haters!
GOLD CANADA GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DVD/Bluray collection: http://beefmaster10000.dvdaf.com/owned?rc=1
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America