COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$23.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$30.99
Visitors (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Veep: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Stalingrad 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.49
Seattle Seahawks: Road to XLVIII (Blu-ray)
$27.49
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.49
The Paradise: Season One (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Batman: Assault on Arkham (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Tim's Vermeer (Blu-ray)
$20.49
Almost Human (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ernest & Celestine (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Double Indemnity (Blu-ray)
$16.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest
Default Is there a Blu-ray player that remembers where you stopped on any Blu-ray disc?

Is there or will there ever be a blu-ray player that remembers where you stopped on any blu-ray disc even after you have turned it off? Very often I don't have the time to sit thru an entire movie at once so I have to keep a logbook on my sofa so I can return to where I was the night before. I really love my bedroom TV/DVD player, some nights I can only watch a movie for 10 minutes at a time before I gotta hit the hay....just one button shuts the whole thing down and it resumes at where ever I shut it off the next night. Id love to have a blu-ray player in my bedroom and id really love to resume my movies in my living room as fast as I can do it in the bedroom.....now that I think about it, its the speed I am after. It takes me 1-2 minutes to resume a movie in my living room and it takes 2 seconds to resume in my bedroom.
bentvalve's Blu-ray collection: 728(collection order; Music>Musicals>Documentaries>TV shows>Criterions>Movies)
Latest addition(s): Hidden Kingdoms
Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

My Sony 360 does on most disc
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 07-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

something tells me no since my ps3 will remember dvds but not blurays(except for the 360 mentioned above).
Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

It has very little to do with the hardware and more to do with the software. Because of the JAVA software incorporated into most discs, you will have to use the bookmarking feature included on the disc itself in order to continue from where you last left off.

Personally, I hate it when discs resume automatically. I think that it does a complete disservice to the artists and is the second greatest insult to their work by fractioning the viewing experience. If I can't finish watching a presentation in its entirety I will start it from the beginning again when I next get to sit down to enjoy something. So, I'm glad that there is no resume feature.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

My newer panasonic does, but my older panasonic does not. Sorry... can not recall model numbers.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

Jun 2011

Ditto as above. My Sony 360 does and my PS3 does not.
Samsung LN46D630 | 160 GB PS3 | 120 GB Xbox Elite | Sony DAVDZ170
Old 07-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest

So it looks like the Sony 360 does this, are there any others?

How fast does the Sony fire up and start playing where you left off? Am I right to assume it also remembers what the audio/subtitles settings were?

Is that Sony a nice player? I have a Pioneer BDP-51FD that has been awesome, I will feel a little bit bad replacing it. But the real reason my blu-rays look so good is because the BDP-51FD is on a professionally calibrated Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD . I also have a PS3 which has been used very little, I should sell it to fund the cost of another player.
bentvalve's Blu-ray collection: 728(collection order; Music>Musicals>Documentaries>TV shows>Criterions>Movies)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2011
5593 ft above sea level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
It has very little to do with the hardware and more to do with the software. Because of the JAVA software incorporated into most discs, you will have to use the bookmarking feature included on the disc itself in order to continue from where you last left off.

Personally, I hate it when discs resume automatically. I think that it does a complete disservice to the artists and is the second greatest insult to their work by fractioning the viewing experience. If I can't finish watching a presentation in its entirety I will start it from the beginning again when I next get to sit down to enjoy something. So, I'm glad that there is no resume feature.
Way to speak for the artists - I'm sure they're very insulted. I like the last continue feature myself, 'cause not all of us are able to sit through a complete movie every time. It's much easier to have the feature and then just say start over when prompted for people who don't want to insult these artists.
Wait a minute, we were stuck in a blender and now we're saving lives? WHAT?!?

deltasun's sell/trade thread; For Sale: Captain Phillips (slip, BD/DVD), The Muppets (Wocka x 2) -- $13 ea; The Collection, The Iceman -- $10 ea.
Thanks given by:
OptimusL (06-13-2014)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:

but it is funny when you put in a disc that you started to watch 6 months earlier and never finished and the machine resumes right where you left off as if no time has passed (really funny when it is at the end credits)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

My Marantz SR7002 did and my Oppo 93 does
Old 07-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Expert Member

Jan 2007
middle of nowere, IL.

My sony BDP-S550 does on some discs, but not all. Percy Jackson it remembered but it is one of only a few that do. Just curious why is this so important to you? No judgement curious is all.
I usually just look at the time stamp I'm at if I need to shut down for the night and resume as close that as possible next go around.
Had to do this last week as I watched all 7 Harry Potter blu-ray's between Wed. & Friday night before seeing the final one Sat. morning.
2.35:1 Scope, get the BIG picture
No DTS-HD = No Sale
HT Gear:
Panasonic AE-4000U/120" Carada 2.35:1 Screen
Sony BDP-S550/PS3/360/Wii/Tivo
Denon AVR-4310
Def Tech BP 2004 Fronts/ CLR 2002 CC/ BP2X Rears/Mirage BPS-400 Sub
PSN:victorvondoom88 XBL: VONDOOM88
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
Special Member

Apr 2011

PS3 does remember where it stopped.

If I fall asleep while watching a BD, I can stop it exactly where I was and then go back.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

Quote:
So, I'm glad that there is no resume feature.
Just because the feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it. It's nice to have options.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinandtami View Post
Just because the feature is there doesn't mean you have to use it. It's nice to have options.
Ummm... yes, it IS nice to have options. But, as it is now, if there is resume feature capability, it forces me to resume. You put the disc in, load it up, and BAM! You go straight into the middle of the film without any warning.

Now, the ideal thing, and I've seen it on maybe 2 discs, is to have the software ASK YOU if you'd like to resume or restart. THAT would be the suitable option for me. Then everyone has the exact same amount of work to do in order to meet their needs on equal footing.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
Way to speak for the artists - I'm sure they're very insulted. I like the last continue feature myself, 'cause not all of us are able to sit through a complete movie every time. It's much easier to have the feature and then just say start over when prompted for people who don't want to insult these artists.
Well... as an artist myself, I believe that I am very well entitled to my opinion. So, don't roll your eyes at me as if my opinion doesn't count for anything.

If you don't have time for a full film, you shouldn't start watching. People really need to learn some time management skills and slow down. I hear so much about people who rarely get any time for themselves at all. Many people I talk to actually consider their "running errands" time as their personal time! WTF is up with that? Has the media really been that successful in making us believe that we always need to be striving for 10 minutes ago? Why can't we make 2 hours available for ourselves these days to do something we enjoy uninterrupted? THIS is why CARS is such a crucial film for the next generation. Kids desperately need to learn the lesson that life needs to be enjoyed and should not be a race for inconsequential gains.

Last edited by Petra_Kalbrain; 07-20-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentvalve View Post
So it looks like the Sony 360 does this, are there any others?

How fast does the Sony fire up and start playing where you left off? Am I right to assume it also remembers what the audio/subtitles settings were?

Is that Sony a nice player?

Bump^^, anyone?
Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

The Sony 360 is alright. I bought it back in August of 2009, after 2 years it's still going strong and work like a charm even when I don't bother making updates.

It does a few things that you could call not great

No eject button on the remote, that one is really weird but no biggie for me

I also had to put in a USB key at the back as certain Blu-ray (one example THX-1138) would not load

I believe it's now very cheap in prices but I must say I have not notice one in store for a while so I am not sure if they are still around
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
The Sony 360 is alright. I bought it back in August of 2009, after 2 years it's still going strong and work like a charm even when I don't bother making updates.

It does a few things that you could call not great

No eject button on the remote, that one is really weird but no biggie for me

I also had to put in a USB key at the back as certain Blu-ray (one example THX-1138) would not load

I believe it's now very cheap in prices but I must say I have not notice one in store for a while so I am not sure if they are still around
That word and number combination just don't seem right being together like that.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

My Pioneer BDP-23fd does.
Modern
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Sony KD-34XS955 TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #20

Aug 2010

The PS3 (I think unlike other players) does have the option (if you triangle the icon on the XMB) to resume it's place (if it remembers) or start the beginning of the film.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology